The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

How about another geeky quiz? :jester:

img_39689wq2y.jpg

img_3967fyqcg.jpg

Both photos were taken at Meusdorf, with the upper looking at the terminus and the lower along the line to the city. If you take note of the facing crossover…

• what do you have to remember concerning the facing points?
  • what are you not allowed to do here?
  • what kind of situation could thus occur here?
  • and how would you resolve it?

Remember one of my previous quiz questions as I had given you an important hint there! :yes:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning, Snow has all gone here which is pleasing!

Just spent an hour in the garage tidying up after other half was in charge of the woodburner whilst I was incapacitated.

We seem to have gone through kindling at a rate of knots so thats my next job.

Hopefully the shed later!

Enjoy your day

Alan

We burned our old shed too, but wisely decided to wait until the new one had been erected first.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Very late running (again, but it is post mushrooms on toast) this morning but at least the snow, what little we had, has now vanished and a dry day forecast to continue.  Strange how you can get an idea of peoples' ages from the tv programmes they enjoyed although the time at which their family acquired a tv also plays a part of course.

Have a  good day one & all and all the best for those who are ailing in any way.

• Like 16

Good afternoon from a damp cold depressing W Borsetshire

A full 10 hour Leah day today. She ate a huge breakfast but got grumpy well before her usual 11:00 nap, so we can assume a busy and active weekend at Grandad Joe's.

Tanya has gone to her mum's to do housework. So while the lil' princess is sleeping I had better do ours.

Keep the faith. Catchup later.

Stevo

Edited by 28XX
  • Like 16

I couldn't find my teddy bear one day. Mum had put him on the bonfire as he looked tatty. I was very brave.

Have you ever noticed that teddy bears that go in the "bin" are invariably rescued and spend the rest of their days attached the front bumper of the bin lorry.   :senile:

• Like 4

I have to say I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned the very best TV program of all ( which really should have had, but didn't, an adult version) VISION ON! Tony Hart was a man with incredible vision and imagination and probably inspired more kids to draw and paint than anyone else I can think of. Take Hart was good, but never achieved the heights of VO

Edited by shortliner

Stairs fixed - yay!

Dan was able to access the stair from underneath, and we used blocks and wedges to support the tread (much as was already there for other stairs). Now all I have to do is re-lay the carpet. Not a clue...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have you ever noticed that teddy bears that go in the "bin" are invariably rescued and spend the rest of their days attached the front bumper of the bin lorry.   :senile:

You aren't Pam Ayres by any chance, are you?

Morning.

Reporting from Sunday;

i) Land line phone in a NOT WORKING condition. After an hour of messing about, the repair guy, having determined the line to the house is OK, and installing a now required demarcation block complete with test point, identified the problem as the internal house connections - soon as he re-attached any inside line/connection the line just buzzed and was unusable. We traced several, but couldn't isolate the problem - he did some basic isolation/divide and conquer testing but any more would have started to cost me $$$, so he just noted we needed an updated demarcation and left it at that i.e. no charge. I will have to troubleshoot myself and possible run new lines to the appropriate places in the house. I "could" have the phone company do it, but they charge $90 an hour for that work, as their responsibility stops at the demarcation point. Might just end up giving up the land line as we don't really use it much any more, the cell phone not taking the lions share....

ii) Picked up Jemma from airport, blimey it was cold out!

iii) Enjoyable dinner and then Martin Luther King concert with friends...

Working today again, of course, but all the schools, banks and government agencies closed for MLK public holiday.

Weather actually same as yesterday, sodding cold! -24 when I retrieved the paper with the same -35 wind chill as Sunday. Roaring to a high of -17 if we're lucky.

Hope the week starts well for everyone.

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Reporting from Sunday;

i) Land line phone in a NOT WORKING condition. After an hour of messing about, the repair guy, having determined the line to the house is OK, and installing a now required demarcation block complete with test point, identified the problem as the internal house connections - soon as he re-attached any inside line/connection the line just buzzed and was unusable. We traced several, but couldn't isolate the problem - he did some basic isolation/divide and conquer testing but any more would have started to cost me $$$, so he just noted we needed an updated demarcation and left it at that i.e. no charge. I will have to troubleshoot myself and possible run new lines to the appropriate places in the house. I "could" have the phone company do it, but they charge $90 an hour for that work, as their responsibility stops at the demarcation point. Might just end up giving up the land line as we don't really use it much any more, the cell phone not taking the lions share....

Working today again, of course, but all the schools, banks and government agencies closed for MLK public holiday.

Weather actually same as yesterday, sodding cold! -24 when I retrieved the paper with the same -35 wind chill as Sunday. Roaring to a high of -17 if we're lucky.

Ian

Did your package form Hornby arrive?

Sorry if I missed i a post but only had a fleeting look at ERs over the weekend.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned the very best TV program of all ( which really should have had, but didn't, an adult version) VISION ON! Tony Hart was a man with incredible vision and imagination and probably inspired more kids to draw and paint than anyone else I can think of. Take Hart was good, but never achieved the heights of VO

The program was designed originally for deaf people and ran over 12 seasons 64 to 76,

Alan

Morning.

Reporting from Sunday;

As a retired telephone engineer I could pop over and take a look. Would you pay my air fare(s) and will tomorrow afternoon be ok?

• Like 4

Ian

Did your package form Hornby arrive?

Sorry if I missed i a post but only had a fleeting look at ERs over the weekend.

Ian

HAH! :butcher:

I was refraining form mentioning it, as I was hoping/expecting to simply post a picture of the two locos, possibly as early as last Saturday - fat chance.

So far the tracking details, apparently some relatively minor (in the global carrier grand scheme of things i.e. NOT DHL, FedEx, UPS etc.) companies are involved, i.e. Interlink Express and their international arm DPD. Neither company have much more of a presence best I can tell beyond probably a 20 mile radius of the UK!

ANYWAY, according to their tracking data, which can best be described as pathetic, the parcel arrived "...at the local distribution depot in the US..." since Friday at 2PM, one of only three lines of tracking details. The DPD entries are even less informative as they simple state a single line, noted on Friday at 8PM (dunno where it was for the 6 hours in between!!) "...At parcel delivery center...".

Given this was picked up last Wednesday according to Interlink, and is supposed to be a 2-day air service, I'm not sure exactly what calendar this group use as their site also notes, and has done since last Wednesday, "...Estimated delivery Wednesday 20 January 2016...".

By my calendar that's 7 calendar days and about 5 business days, so 2-day air it isn't! :O

As a retired telephone engineer I could pop over and take a look. Would you pay my air fare(s) and will tomorrow afternoon be ok?

Ahh, there's the problem, tomorrow afternoon would be perfect :) however, I would have paid the guy who was here (well his company) probably about the same amount in the end and still might be without a phone  :jester:

It is the oddest problem though and I just wish it would "go away". I failed to mention that it has been an intermittent problem since last Friday, occasionally if I pick up the phone there IS a dial tone and I can call in or out, but that is fleeting at best <sigh>

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

The 2 day air means exactly that: two days in the air!

When the Zeppelin finally arrived in Virginia,(that is not a euphemism by the way), the postal system has got to work on a suitably suppressed delivery rate.

Even as I write this  the muleteer is valiantly coaxing those two mules and the wagon along a mud road in Winsconsin.

Should be with you sometime in February!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Reporting from Sunday;

If there is space to fit something at the demarcation point, I would suggest a cordless phone where you plug the main bit in and can use the phones elsewhere. As mine had two phones there was also a separate charging base so I could plug in the phones at a more convenient point. Our demarcation point in the uk is a double box unit. BT provides a line and terminates it in the the box which has a plug in cover which has provision for wires to be terminated or a lead to be plugged in.  It saves a lot of wiring and is ok provided you keep the phones charged. I take the batteries in the phones out when away they will hold the charge when not being used. So I have a working phone when I return. However you may find just using the cell phones works ok for you. For me I think the Broadband only comes with the Line rental so having the phone makes sense.  

Don

• Like 7

Ian,

The 2 day air means exactly that: two days in the air!

When the Zeppelin finally arrived in Virginia,(that is not a euphemism by the way), the postal system has got to work on a suitably suppressed delivery rate.

Even as I write this  the muleteer is valiantly coaxing those two mules and the wagon along a mud road in Winsconsin.

Should be with you sometime in February!

Richard,

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, however imagined them using a Tiger Moth, and stopping, lemme see, about 100 times to refuel!

Given the DPD web site mention primarily eastern European and Asian countries as their "destinations" and there's NO reference to the USA or anywhere in North America, I'm worried that "arrived in US" might be a local acronym for Uzbekistan, and some itinerant farmer outside of Tashkent will receive a package from Hornby and be VERY confused! :O  :jester:

• Like 1

If there is space to fit something at the demarcation point, I would suggest a cordless phone where you plug the main bit in and can use the phones elsewhere. As mine had two phones there was also a separate charging base so I could plug in the phones at a more convenient point. Our demarcation point in the uk is a double box unit. BT provides a line and terminates it in the the box which has a plug in cover which has provision for wires to be terminated or a lead to be plugged in.  It saves a lot of wiring and is ok provided you keep the phones charged. I take the batteries in the phones out when away they will hold the charge when not being used. So I have a working phone when I return. However you may find just using the cell phones works ok for you. For me I think the Broadband only comes with the Line rental so having the phone makes sense.  

Don

Don - actually my thinking exactly. The new demarcation point has a jack for a phone/test point, and as it's down in our basement conveniently located adjacent to a work bench with adequate power outlets, I might just relocate the cordless base station down there, and might just need to buy an additional remote unit if we decide one isn't sufficient!

The Mrs had an updated comment, stating she is quite happy the phone doesn't work as she now doesn't have to check the caller ID or pick up (on the non-caller ID handsets) to discover the call is just one of those annoying cockwombles (my interpretation of her rather more descriptive but not rude terms) :)

We don't need the phone company line as I use cable for the internet supplier, hence the potential to discard the land line altogether as an option.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I do hope Ian's locos turn up soon. I am keen to pick his brain as to where I should glue a little bit of brass wire I found in the box of my Okehampton. It didn't drop off when I put the decoder in, it was already detached! ----^- shape and about a cm long!

• Like 1

Don - actually my thinking exactly. The new demarcation point has a jack for a phone/test point, and as it's down in our basement conveniently located adjacent to a work bench with adequate power outlets, I might just relocate the cordless base station down there, and might just need to buy an additional remote unit if we decide one isn't sufficient!

The Mrs had an updated comment, stating she is quite happy the phone doesn't work as she now doesn't have to check the caller ID or pick up (on the non-caller ID handsets) to discover the call is just one of those annoying cockwombles (my interpretation of her rather more descriptive but not rude terms) :)

We don't need the phone company line as I use cable for the internet supplier, hence the potential to discard the land line altogether as an option.

I think that's a good way to go too. The extensive internal phone wiring in this house is now completely redundant. Try to keep one old-fangled phone attached at the demarcation point in case of emergencies when the power goes out..

• Like 2