The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Things look very wintery outside - big surprise :lol: . Dinner last night was very good, but I'm still full!

Tram services had been completely suspended yesterday due to the weather - I might head out later on if they should be running again.

Wish you all a good day! :)

Morning All,

Another wintery morning - it is snowing lightly at the moment.

Had a good day yesterday. The little guy was delighted with his Mark one coaches, and then we had roast duck.

I ended up collapsing into bed, completely exhausted, before nine o'clock!

Have a good day everyone...

Happy Boxing Day everyone!

A very quiet day yesterday,my quietest Chritmas ever! but no problem.

I've got cricket to watch today; your Ashes and here our 2nd Test against India.

Here in CT it's HOT and clear and mildly windy.

The start of the cricket in Durban is temporarily drizzle delayed.

Morning all! Very happy to hear the cricket score when I woke up. And made even better by the fact that 12 minutes into the game, Geoff Boycott had said "I'm meant to be the expert and I can't see any way for England to come back into this."

Hope Santa was good to you all yesterday!

Bit of a change here. We are under a "Blizzard Warning" in the NYC area and are expecting 12" - 16" of snow between 9:00am Boxing day and 5:00am Monday! High winds to 55 mph along the coast.

Remember we are about the same latitude as Rome.... Luckily this will be pushing out across the Atlantic fairly promptly.

The only thing that concerns me about this is the possibility of power outages.

"Snowmageddon" it's not but pretty impressive just the same.

Later, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all - a third of the way into the call out. Quite surreal last night, had to use the land Rover to negotiate some very dodgy back roads, then tramp over some fields to check on an out of the way res level (instruments had frozen up). Glistening stars, snow covered fields,freezing cold, absolute silence.

Dare I say it it was quite nice......

Morning all...:)

I'm with you DD. Wrap up warm young Phil and mind you don't fall over. Whatever you do, make sure you have your phone with you...

Managed to survive Christmas Day although the Morphine knocked me out in the afternoon. Really nice to have a doze for a valid reason....B)

A thump on floor at 8.00 this morning was a warning that you're just a second away from A & E. MiL tripped over a chair leg and tumbled to the floor. Thankfully she is fine, but it could have been so different. Old people should be fitted with compulsory Michelin outfits....

I wonder what joys today holds in store...:D

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, I had hoped you would be in less pain Gordon but obviously not. The advice was sound Phil but missed the point about making sure the phone is charged as well as in your pocket been there done that. I hope the next year is happier for you Robert it sounds like Christmas day went well.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Looks bloomin' cold out there though I haven't ventured out yet. A surprisingly calm and relaxed day in our household yesterday. Not quite what I was expecting.

Being a caring sharing household SWMBO has shared her cold with me, great! To add insult to injury she has just presented me with a cup of lemon and ginger "tea" in place of my usually double espresso! Apparently it is much better for me even though it tastes disgusting. Off to SiL's abode for lunch today which is our custom. This will involve ludicrous amounts of food and copious quantities of booze. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

Stay safe and pain free if at all possible all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It looks rather sunny here but I suspect it is cold. It is also very quiet. We all survived my cooking yesterday although all the guests fell asleep even without the aid of morphine. Although my wife's plans to play Trivial Pursuit were thwarted it was amusing watching Robbie sneak up on sleeping guests.

Robbie should enjoy tomorrow, my wife's younger relatives will be coming for lunch and I think Robbie has worked out that children are more likely to drop food on the floor.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I am at the local charity Boxing Day dip. It's blooming freezing. Hundreds of people in all states of fancy dress and undress all going for a swim.

Fortunately I'm here as a spectator as it was my daughter who did the dip.

Happy boxing day everyone. Bright and sunny here today, but a very hard frost had provided a glistening white finish to almost everything.

BoD - The local charity dip is on christmas day here. Air temp was -1c, and the sea was only 4c. These 'dippers' must be mad. Or brave. All for a good cause though...

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all

It was morning all when I started here, but....

At the risk of being boring - it's cold. Woodburner is lit and working well, and I think that I'll stick to kiln dried logs in the future as they are a lot easier to work with, burn just as slowly, but are a lot quicker to catch. Hopefully the promised warming up will start later today or tomorrow.

Haven't watched the Orient howler yet, but have read the posts and added my ten pennorth already, as the comments were just what I expected.

Gordon so sorry to hear that you have no real relief and that you still need morphine - hopefully, you'll get some more thorough medical attention once the hospitals and doctors get back after their break.

Phil that callout sounds like it was odd - not fun, but eerily pleasant once you were onsite - hopefully you'll not have many more of them.

Other than that, when I got my presents yesterday, my little extra turned out not to be train shaped, but as I keep asking Mrs 45i56 how cold she thinks it is outside, it was a garden thermometer, which she insisted that I put up first thing this moring - currently showing plus 10 as it's been indoors for so long.

Regards to All

Stewart

At the risk of being boring - it's cold. Woodburner is lit and working well, and I think that I'll stick to kiln dried logs in the future as they are a lot easier to work with, burn just as slowly, but are a lot quicker to catch.

I didn't realise you had to chase logs...

You lot seemed to have done well over Christmas....nasty in NYC area today and tomorrow.

I'm including a link to show the kind of information we get on storms from NOAA:http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Scotch+Plains&state=NJ&site=OKX&textField1=40.6331&textField2=-74.3735&e=0

That is a detailed forecast for my actual town, Scotch Plains. If you click on the two highlighted areas then you get actual conditions on the ground. You can click around on the little map to get conditions in other towns like Manhattan for instance which is off to the right. These forecasts are pretty accurate, compared to the TV..........................

So my take on it is that Jersey is getting a lot of snow, locally up to 1 foot 6 inches windy but the worst winds: 60 mph gusts will be over central Long Island.

This is the same storm that poured all the rain on Southern California 2,400 miles away, last week.

Best, Pete.

Late on parade today but I have the ultimate excuse... I've just finished a two hour stint of modelling! Finally got around to renumbering, painting the chassis and weathering the body of the Hornby 08 I bought at Warley, just needs a quick waft over with track colour / brake dust and it'll be done. I was all set to do it this morning but ended up watching 'The Wrong Arm Of The Law' instead, one of the classic films I got for Christmas. Cracking film, I'd forgotten how good is was.

The temperature has dropped like a stone here, but my other half bless her, has stoked up the wood burner and there's a nice pocket of warm air making it's way up the stair well.

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Gold

It must be getting warmer here. We went for what was supposed to be a pre lunch walk but left home at about 3.30. For the first time in a few weeks Robbie decide that it was warm enough to jump in a stream for a swim. I think the spaniel definition of warm enough is only thin ice on stream.

Matthew has just appeared in his Spurs shirt. apparently they win if he wears it.

Tony

Morning All,

It is around -4°C here this morning, which makes it feel rather chilly.

Oh well - That's Christmas done for another year. Back in the office this morning :(

For all of you in the UK, enjoy the Bank Holiday - this is one of those times when we are a bit hard done-by in Germany. If the Bank Holidays fall on a Saturday or Sunday, it's hard cheese!

Have a good day everyone...