The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the weather brought to mind Don Bradley, and the fact that it was just over a year ago that he left us.

I am sure that he would have been wishing us well whilst telling us about how warm it was in South Africa.

He'd also be very much looking forward to the banter over the forthcoming cricket series between 'them and us'.

Gone, but not forgotten.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I spent the afternoon helping a neighbour transfer his life from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6. Should have been trivial but wasn't. I won't say anything rude about Apple products as I don't want to be dragged out by men in black late at night and sent for re-education.

While I was out the Christmas pudding was completing it's cooking so that house smelt nice. Yesterday's mincemeat aroma even smothered the usual nice smell of bread baking.

One of the nice things about Aditi retiring is that she has started using all the music devices round the house. For years she has said she wasn't bothered as I could turn stuff on for her.

Tony

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Banal TV. 

That must be one of the new digital stations.

Could you please let me know which channel number it is?

Is it one of the very high numbered ones that only come on when Mama and Papa have gone to bed?

Edited by Happy Hippo

BoD is spot on with his latest post.

Banal TV is a generic term for the programmes that appear when I have time to sit and watch.

Blue Peter has much for which to answer.

Under orders I've just watched Strictly Come Prancing.

Some nice legs on view.

Some clodhopper who barely moved while a blonde danced manically around him came top.

Perhaps it's not my field of expertise.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the weather brought to mind Don Bradley, and the fact that it was just over a year ago that he left us.

I am sure that he would have been wishing us well whilst telling us about how warm it was in South Africa.

He'd also be very much looking forward to the banter over the forthcoming cricket series between 'them and us'.

Gone, but not forgotten.

Second this fully, Warren.

While browsing Radio Times I found this on letters page.... "I love the smell of a freshly pulled carrot in a morning...."    

Is it just me....?    :nono:

Definitely one of those occasions where an 'I'm worried' button would be appropriate.

• RMweb Premium

That must be one of the new digital stations.

Could you please let me know which channel number it is?

Is it one of the very high numbered ones that only come on when Mama and Papa have gone to bed?

Available on sat-o-vision, any number from 1 - 999....all crepe. All, er, what Dom said..... :jester:

Been a long time since there was any mamas and papas around here, Richard!

• Like 10

How can you criticise our banal tv? We have plenty of soaps, cooking/food programmes, antique programmes and reality tv I'm a celebrity dancing talent. Many are frequently repeated the same day on another channel and later in the week. After Daivd Barbie died he still appeared on the antiques shows for about 3 more years. But we put up with it because we have to.

Just occasionally we get some excellent programmes from these providers.

While browsing Radio Times I found this on letters page.... "I love the smell of a freshly pulled carrot in a morning...."    

Is it just me....?     :nono:

Definitely one of those occasions where an 'I'm worried' button would be appropriate.

You mustn't worry - that was written by a snowman.

• RMweb Premium

Late departure by 30 mins from Faro due to "busy skies above the UK".

We found out why on approach to Manchester. A smooth flight inbound until we started to descend over The Pennines on an easterly approach to runway 1. Then it started to get bumpy as the altitude dropped. I guess at about 1500feet, our crew decided to abort the landing and have another go. "Just another five minutes and we'll have a run in" they said.

They were true to their word and a superb bit of control and choppy run-in, we safely landed. Full credit to the guys at the front. When we pulled up at the stand, the plane was still rocking from side to side, We used the integral plane steps and didn't use separate steps to disembark, for fear of them blowing over.

The drive up the M60/M61 was dry until we joined the M6 and then dropped off the next junction. Quite a large amount of surface water was now making it dodgy.

Home safe a couple of hours ago and the weather is already calming down.

Sounds like further north - Cumbria et al, has had it hard.

Keep safe up there folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a rather windy village.

Mick (NB) glad that you are back safely.  I hope that NB Junior is also safe.

Here it's been a good day.  A good breakfast to start the day then No1 son and girlfriend arrived early and stayed for about 3 hours before leaving for a concert in Manchester.   Both Beth and I like her and hope that son doesn't spoil it.

I've started selling my surplus auction stuff and this morning a load of Powsides transfers went within 2 hours on the GOG sales and wants.   The stuff on Ebay has all got bids after a day with 20 watchers plus on each.  If this keeps up my piggybank will get replenished.

I hope that all of you in Desmond's path stay safe particularly Neil (NHN) and Simon G.

Also something very worrying has happened and I blame Richard (HH) for steering me towards the Oakwood Press stall at Warley.  I'm well on with the history of the Waterloo and City line and some very dangerous thoughts of a successor layout to green Ayre are forming in my mind. Built as a sort of extended diorama with the sidings and boiler house lift at one end, the platforms in the centre and the Armstrong lift at the other.   There is potential. Dangerous thoughts indeed, I've even measured it up on Google earth. 

To the rest of you I bid a good night.

Jamie

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Junior arrived home before we set off from Faro.

Evening all from a rather windy village.

Mick (NB) glad that you are back safely.  I hope that NB Junior is also safe.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Sarah (junior) arrived home in the UK before we'd even set off from Faro. Her return was to Luton, then via London to Colchester.

After dropping her at the airport, we drove to Praia de Faro, across the Rio Formosa lagoon to await our flight about three hours later.

In the distance, this is her flight departing..

post-408-0-98472500-1449356248_thumb.jpg

Whilst we were having a nice brunch at one of the cafes, this came drifting down the channel - I think it's something to do with sea dredged sand, as there were a couple of dredgers working further down the channel

post-408-0-21358400-1449356246_thumb.jpg

And that's my final holiday snap. I hope you've enjoyed them.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15

Evening all from a rather windy village.....something very worrying has happened and I blame Richard (HH) for steering me towards the Oakwood Press stall at Warley.  I'm well on with the history of the Waterloo and City line and some very dangerous thoughts of a successor layout to green Ayre are forming in my mind. Built as a sort of extended diorama with the sidings and boiler house lift at one end, the platforms in the centre and the Armstrong lift at the other.   There is potential. Dangerous thoughts indeed, I've even measured it up on Google earth. 

To the rest of you I bid a good night.

Jamie

Ambitious idea!

Please forgive my crude re-drawing from memory of one of my favourite cartoons (I think from a Punch anthology)

dh

post-21705-0-38756400-1449358626.jpg

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 4

I was reading a news article about shootings in the USA. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34996604 and there are some frightening figures.

All shootings: The school shootings and other mass shootings generate the headlines, but the vast majority of gun deaths in the US occur in smaller, often unreported incidents. Some 12,223 people have been killed in the US by firearms so far this year, and 24,722 people injured

The home front: So many people die annually from gunfire in the US that the death toll between 1968 and 2011 eclipses all wars ever fought by the country. According to research by Politifact, there were about 1.4 million firearm deaths in that period, compared with 1.2 million US deaths in every conflict from the Revolutionary War to Iraq.

Ian Abel - It sounds like Jemma has the problem sorted. I just hope that it stays that way.

Mick - Great to see that you enjoyed the break and arrived back safely.

For those in the path of Desmond, I certainly hope that you remain safe.

No alarm set for the morning.

Night all

• Like 12

Morning all (just),

Lurked a bit earlier but just climbed into bed with the iPad with time to post. Very windy here in gusts, but nothing like the poor devils further North and in Ireland and the IOM have been experiencing. I hope, as others have said, that all of you in the path of 'Desmond' are coping with it. The images from Cumbria on the news are horrendous! Just seen a lady, stuck on a North bound WCML train in Carlisle station as she tries to travel to Glasgow for a family funeral. The train is stranded and there is no train heating, and they've been handed blankets in the hope that they can sleep where they sit! What happened to being put up in hotels in such circumstances?

Ian(Abel), fingers crossed that Jemma has recovered fully from her recent health scare. She certainly shows a remarkable spirit.

Dick, I hope your back is feeling better - it sounds nasty. Are you sure that rooting around in the loft is a good idea in the circumstances, especially with a suspect access ladder?

Rick, it sounds like you had the shift from hell yesterday - one jumper is bad enough, but two on the same day is simply awful. I sympathise with the poor souls who witnessed it, as well as you chaps who have to sort out the fallout. What an awful mess to leave their families! I'm really glad to read that your company has a proper support system in place for such eventualities although the tone of your post would suggest that you handled it well - well done sir! To change the subject, I stumbled across Stu (Stubby)'s thread with the aerial shots of West Cornwall, and it was a pleasant surprise to see your old cottage in Newlyn. It looks as if the view across to St Michaels Mount must have been impressive! Very good advice to Gordon (gordon s) on the car insurance front, although I think he handled it rather well in any case.

Baz, thanks for risking the model railway shots - that Dub-Dee is weathered exactly as I remember them when they occasionally visited Hurlford shed for engineering work. I seem to remember that they were fairly much unloved by the shed personnel?

Jamie, amazing coincidence time - our No1 son is coming to lunch later today, accompanied by his latest conquest, who we will be meeting for the first time! Joanna and I despair of him ever settling down, but as he appears to be very happy, we should settle for that. The two girls have produced enough offspring to keep us honest.

Ian(OD), glad to read that the microbes appear to be retreating, but as John(CB) said, don't belittle the discomfort. The pain is real, whatever the cause. I do hope that your dinner with Sheena transpired to be a convivial affair?

Warren (BoD), it was great to be reminded of the loss of our South African correspondent and weather man- I do really miss the anecdotes about life at the dinner table in the home where he lived out his last days.

Mick(NB), good to read that you are safely home, despite the best efforts of 'Desmond'. Sounds like you were treated to a display of very competent bad weather flying. Jamie pre-empted my question about junior - it sounds like she had an easier trip than you all round.

Let's hope that all those affected find the storm abating tomorrow, and those who are ailing continue to improve. May Sunday be all you could wish for,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night Owls!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful evening here, stars like twinkling er, twinkle things.........

All things must pass.

Best, Pete.

Unfortunately around here, stars don't twinkle when they're under water............

Cheers,

Mick

On our way to Torquay today we could see a tug in Labrador Bay towing a huge square shaped thing eastwards. It looked to be at least the size of a block of 4 containers maybe even bigger but a solid shape. It was much bigger than the tug. On the way home it was in a similar position in Labrador Bay but the tug was facing toward Torquay this time.

Anybody have a method of finding out what the tow was?

• Like 5