The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all.

Been raining pretty much all day here, so took advantage of the workshop being cool and finished some coupling rod machining. These will be silver soldered at the joints, then the second crankpin hole jig-drilled. The camera flash was apparently feeling shy. Once these are done, I'll start work on the 16mm scale loco.

coupling-rod-assembly-1.jpg

Dad also sneaked into the workshop again - pajamas at 4pm - so got him with a quick "hey dad, look over here." The shot also shows the majority of the workshop; loco on the right, lathe under the rag on the left. The mess under the benches is best ignored.

dad-in-workshop.jpg

Your Dad resembles 'At Least Three Or Four Of The Great Impressionist Artists Of Our Time' and I claim my £5 first prize...! Lovely candid shot, very nice... ;)

Hope all's well in ER land, I wish I had more time to catch up with everyone's comings and goings - it doesn't seem that long since we were only on page one! Is it just me, our are the Autumnal colours that much better this year...?

• Like 15

Morning all...

A massive thank you to the pratt who set off fireworks at 1am this morning sending our two dogs ballistic.  Took ages to get them to calm down and us return to the land of nod.  

Dishwasher finally bit the dust this morning.  Considering we bought it in 2006 and it's on once a day, every day, I can't complain.  I did say "I can fix that", but once all the covers were off I saw water debris and limescale over the last 10 years had done their bit to seize up float switches and leave a trail of debris in every flow channel.  Decided it was time to wave it goodbye and new one will be delivered later today as things are pretty hectic next week.  I could have spent a few hours clearing everything, but that wouldn't eliminate a failed heater or relays in the control board and then I'd still be left with a 10 year old pump and ancilliaries, so decision made.

Coming from a business/financial background, Mrs S and I depreciate all domestic appliances over several years with a set replacement date.  We then set aside so much a month to pay for replacements as and when they fail.  Of course people laugh at us when we tell them, but it works and when things outlive their replacement date, the funds are there to buy a new one.  We expected this one to fail after six years, so it had paid for itself four years ago.  A winner....:-)

Staggered that you can order something before midday on a Sunday and then have it delivered before 10pm tonight.  Not only that AO.com knocked off another £45 for price matching from another retailer.  OK, it cost £30 for less than 12 hour delivery, but it had to be as next week is full one way or another.

Funny old world.  We've come a long way since 'four candles' type of shops.... 

Hope your weekend is proving to be peaceful and relaxing.

Edited by gordon s

Simon, I'm putting off going to the garage, never mind riding on trains!  It's hoying it down here, to use another Geordie-ism!

13.00 and it's drying up here, so there could be some sunshine heading your way later.

• Like 10

Morning.

Lest we Forget day.

Did you know....the leaf on the poppy is supposed to point at the 11 o'clock position......obvious when you think about it.

Poppies from sellers in Edinburgh don't have the leaf for some reason - unsure if it's the same all over Scotland

Mal

• RMweb Gold

A massive thank you to the pratt who set off fireworks at 1am this morning sending our two dogs ballistic.  Took ages to get them to calm down and us return to the land of nod.  

What makes you think it was one of us?

@ chrisf, I found that version of "Telstar" on Youtube. Very impressed, not a Hutchings band I was aware of and will try to find the album. I was particularly impressed by Richard Thompson on penny whistle-is there no end to this man's talents?

In other news, got the van back OK, until I stopped at McD's for a "frappuccino" (I know, but wait until you have tried one). I had no wipers after the stop! Much cursing and muttering as it had just been serviced and MoT'd. Thought about a call to the RAC, but the rain had stopped so I carried on.I fiddled and faddled with the switch and eventually they came on, but wouldn't self-park or do intermittent until a mile from home. I think (hope) that I upset its system by turning the ignition off before I turned the wipers off. Fingers crossed.

Best wishes to all. Minute's silence just observed as I woke up just in time, so by no means an ER today.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

I could live there. A nice town that is “low profile” suits me.

I’m not sure how the town would put up with my fiery Italian wife though, but.

Best, Pete.

Nice little town with an exceptional sausage butcher, a first class whisky shop, a very good second hand book seller, and a not too bad chip shop selling spam fritters - what is there not to like?

• Like 7

There was an article about this in one of the papers this morning.* Apparently, the advent of the Internet, social media and selfies have greatly reduced the inspiration and appreciation of monuments, artwork and beauty spots. People are increasingly visiting them just to turn their backs on them.

*other papers are available.

http://www.pophangover.com/20540/albert-einsteins-worst-nightmare/

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

My promised look in yesterday didn't happen, due to having to go into Lancaster to the bank, then a trip to Kirkby Lonsdale as 30747 wanted to visit a specific shop there, followed by a run up to Ingleton, so I didn't manage any chance to get online at all.  Still using the Mokka, but I suddenly got used to it, so all is a bit better there - I just don't try any of the modern add ons, though I have left the 4 WD and traction control activated, so it really does stick like glue, even in the monsoon conditions which we have had here over the last couple of days.

Had a busy morning with the computer busy on other tasks, then had to send off a parcel, and as we have one of the "new look" Post Offices, I was able to do so at 12.30 on a Sunday.  Quite a turn up, that...

I have gone through and have read every post since my last visit (took well over an hour) and have rated all the posts, even the horsey jokes.  Pleased to see that Chris F has had a good result from the Oncology team. 

However, dinner is almost ready, so I'll have to press on.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Lovely shots from both of you, Robert and Neil!

Dinner is cooking as I type this, pepper tokány with polenta dumplings to be exact. After that, I will put my feet up and be looking forward to tomorrow's shift on Lines 12 and 14. It's certainly worth a lot to be able to go to work without a feeling of sheer horror in your guts!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

It's certainly worth a lot to be able to go to work without a feeling of sheer horror in your guts!

You've certainly found a job that you enjoy, and which motivates you, so you are a lucky 1216 025.  Long may this be the case, Dom.  I read your post to 30747 and she too has the same thought.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've clicked Agree on your post, Stewart, but I'd like this to be understood as a thank you, too. And public transport is, after all, a field with all kinds of possibilities for career development, so who knows what may yet come of this.

That being said, I do think that it can only be beneficial when those who make decisions in this business do, in fact, have "front line" experience so as to really understand what they need to make decisions about. I am quite happy that our Traffic Operations Executive Manager has, in fact, started as a driver himself, and that my team leader, for example, was trained as a technician and later obtained his driver qualification as well.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I will post some Parisian photos when we get home for those who haven't seen some already on Facebook. Thanks to Ian for confirming i still look like a Bond baddy whenever Aditi takes a photo of me for Facebook.

I did nearly get hit on the head by someone taking a panoramic selfie halfway up the Eiffel Tower.

All the street vendors are selling selfie sticks now but a courteous no thank you seems to deter them unlike the gangs of "Do you speak English?,Please sign my petition for better treatment of deaf mutes in Europe" young people. This is a scam, if you sign they then pester for money or pick your pockets. I unlike many tourists have access to Google. All the girls with petitions we saw at the Louvre yesterday were helping the police with their enquiries this morning.

• Like 12