The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Several people have marked my Jump Jimmy Knacker post as 'funny'. Well, possibly.

I'll explain the rules. The game requires a wall, or possibly a large tree. About 20 unruly youths form themselves into two teams. One team is on the receiving end and one of their number stands with his back to the wall (or tree) and spreads his legs. A team member then bends forward and lodges his head between the first boy's thighs. The rest of the team then follow suit, making a sort of centipede of bent bodies. A bit like a long scrum.

The other team then have to take a run up and leapfrog onto the backs of the centipede. They must not fall off, or they lose. If they all get onto the centipede they are allowed to sway, bounce and generally jiggle in an attempt to get the crocodile to collapse. In which case they win. That was how Chris broke his arm.

Did anyone else play such a gentle and civilised game?

(And you should have seen our British Bulldog... played across a field. I shattered a kneecap being swung into a tree.)

Oh, Julie's medicine is called Meteospasmyl. Sounds great.

I saw that game being played occasionally and played it very occasionally in Renfrewshire in the early 1960s. It was called 'Iron Horse' or 'Dunsh Cuddy Dunsh'. Played in school bike sheds - brick walls and concrete floors. The same venue as used for 'British Bulldog'. What are these concussions you talk of?

An excellent book about children's games, rhymes etc. is "The Lore And Language Of Schoolchildren" by Peter and Iona Opie. The first edition was published in 1959, so it has a lot of historical information in it.

Morning all,

Don't feel like sleeping yet tonight, having dozed in front of the TV earlier!

Dave(TG), our thoughts will be with 'Is' later today, I hope her body is adjusting to the chemo now - look forward to a report later.

Stewart, despite the tiredness, it sounds like you're making steady progress, so you must be doing something right!

Lurker, and Bod, as Robert posted yesterday, Mars, Jupiter, and Venus all appear close to the moon at the moment, with Venus seeming the brightest. Bod, I bought a simple and relatively inexpensive Tasco 4inch reflecting telescope many years ago and I've seen some remarkable sights, but cloud sadly persists in obscuring the current event.

Ian(OD), and others who have Facebook, many thanks for keeping us up to date with Debs condition. We have a good friend locally who had an 'ICD' fitted over a year ago, and so far hasn't had any issues. Of course, driving isn't recommended for a while which can be a nuisance with collies to move, but no doubt such a clever lass has made alternative arrangements! I shall go to sleep easier now following the news, and the message via Tony!

Pete(trisonic), it is just possible to see a reference to the shape of the original XJS in your favourite Camaro. I fancy it might require quite a bit more driver input than the Hyundai!

AndyB, I would like to echo Duncan's sentiment, and hope you soon get the work situation resolved - one way or another!

Neil(NHN), another couple of sets of excellent images from you, thank you. Just what we've come to expect from you now! Your mention of the little Honda in the background of Pete's Camaro picture took me back - dad sold the original 'Monkey Bike' from his shop. It used the 50cc push-rod engine from the first C100 'step through' Honda so beloved of London Black cabbies whilst doing the 'knowledge'. The diminutive Monkey Bike became the paddock run-around of choice in F1 and GP motorcycle racing paddocks, and it spawned many copies. Can't say that the so-called Triumph Rocket III (Trident or Triple) as kindly linked by Phil, excites me in the least - there is no way that the current machine can sound anything like as wonderful as the original on open exhausts - can't see it winning as much silverware either. Love to see someone trying to pick it up if it fell off its stand?

Mick(NB), more fine and interesting photos from your train spotting trip - looked like £10 well spent. Although I am very much a steam fan, I've been following 'big jim's' thread on the modern railway from the drivers view point. It really is fascinating to contrast it with how things worked when my father was at the regulator!

Ian(roundhouse), congratulations on your obvious success as an exhibitor - you must find it an honour to be invited back to so many events. You will of course have to be careful that you don't overdo things!

Dick(Smiffy), I'm terribly sorry to hear that the life you so obviously enjoy has been so badly soured. More importantly, is Julie responding to the medication? I don't suppose that the problem could stem from the shellfish at Cancale? Without getting too far into politics on here - a similar thing occurred here in Tendring District, where the major parties tore themselves apart, with so many splinter groups, that they allowed the one with the 'four letter' word beginning with 'U' to sneak in! Perhaps your erstwhile colleagues would do well to consider this!

I'm going to attempt to sleep now, perhaps to look forward to an update on AndyID's 'Heath Robinson' looking contraption. It is certainly going to be interesting to see the sort of products it is capable of producing. To think it would have been considered 'science fiction' until recently. I hope everyone gets over the hump in good order, and best wishes to those who are mending or suffering treatment at the moment. I have noticed that Flávio has been quiet of late, and I'll report if my e-mail to Tex produces a result,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete(dreaming of his Camaro no doubt!), G'night all!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 18

I saw that game being played occasionally and played it very occasionally in Renfrewshire in the early 1960s. It was called 'Iron Horse' or 'Dunsh Cuddy Dunsh'. Played in school bike sheds - brick walls and concrete floors. The same venue as used for 'British Bulldog'. What are these concussions you talk of?

We played British Bulldog in our scout hall in a certain former shirt factory in Renfrewshire, but it was quite tame compared with some of the other games we played. Probably best if we don't delve too deeply into that here, although later on, I was the DJ at the Saturday night disco we held in the new scout hall. (The 'D' in DJ being a slight exaggeration because I ripped all the tracks off Allan Freeman's 'Top Twenty' the previous Sunday night using my dad's FM radiogram and his tape-recorder.)

EDIT: Come to think of it, that's got a bit to do with my interest in electronics. In those days, radiograms didn't have friendly "Tape Out" jacks, so I had to make a connection to the front end of the audio amp with all it's nasty, potentially lethal, voltages. What's surprising is how my dad actually allowed me to do it, or how I got away with doing it without his permission.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 16

Morning all. Hump day today, but the weekend doesn't appear to be getting any closer. I ended up with a mountain of admin to do last night and as a consequence didn't sleep at all well. More coffee required.

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start and slightly cooler at 5.00 am than yesterday at 6oC. Seems like a mixture of clouds, showers and sunny periods are on today's weather menu.

BR day plus 2:  New boiler is on the kitchen wall and various pipes are creeping across under the old railway room floor towards the airing cupboard. I believe today will see removal of the old boiler so a couple of electrical appliances have been brought out of hibernation in case they are needed. Also looking forward to more drilling entertainment as holes are required for gas supply and condensate pipe.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3

Good morning one and all

Yesterday was interesting and was dominated by a visit to Tony Wright's layout at and depicting Little Bytham.  This is something which I regard as an honour.  A good day was had by all playing trains and admiring the host's models, punctuated by a bowl of delicious leek and potato soup.  There is much to be said for simple pleasures.

Today should have seen a trip to the shed in Stevenage where the layout lives.  Unfortunately a defect has arisen with the burglar alarm which cannot be fixed before the weekend.  Never mind: it is not as though there is nothing to be done here.   Tonight there is a talk to the RCTS in Hitchin on the Great Northern suburban electrification.  Before I set out I must remember to record the first episode of 'The Apprentice', a programme which is sometimes so bad it is funny.  Where on earth do they find some of the contestants?

Best wishes to the ailing and to all others

Chris 

• Like 17

Morning All,

It is a thoroughly revolting morning here - cold, dark and very wet!  The temperature is around 4°C down here in the Rhein Main Gebiet, but up in the Taunus and Odenwald it has been snowing.  The first time since the early 1970s that it has started to snow so early in the year.  Thankfully, I got the winter tyres on the car yesterday evening.

Concerning BoDs question about Astronomy - there are a few hobbyists around with telescopes who will let you play.  In my experience, the amateur astronomers are generally a very friendly bunch who will welcome anybody with an interest in the heavens.  Not that it helps BoD, but I got to visit a local observatory when the little guy was in Kindergarten.  We were able to look through their refractor, and they had smaller telescopes trained on Jupiter, Mars and Saturn to show the children the difference.

Back in the 80s, I went to a talk by Heather Couper - and she reckoned that for amateur stargazing a good pair of binoculars was better than a cheap telescope - particularly those that begin with T for Terrible (Sorry, Jock!)  Of course, this was many years ago now - so I am sure that even the cheaper telescopes are a lot better than they were then.  The fact that Tasco are still around means that they can't be that bad!

Of course, light pollution is a huge problem.  If you live in a city, then all but the strongest stars will be almost invisible.  That, coupled with the move away from low pressure sodium lighting (the orange lamps - which produce a narrow waveband of light and can be easily filtered out) make life more difficult for astronomers.  A stargazer colleague of mine actually moved into the sticks to get away from light pollution.

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 7

Mornin' all,

Overcast but dry in The Moorlands just now. Trip to the centre this morning but I should be in school this afternoon doing the artwork on the new school sign....dates have slipped due to other running repairs taking priority.

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Over on FB, Debs has posted that she's had breakfast.  While the cat's away...thanks Neil and Mick for some train photos.

Can somebody please direct me to the doghouse, as that is where I am this morning, as when the shopping came, there was no bread therein, and also no soft drinks - they were the first items that I ordered, but while I was doing the order, one of those wretched restart needed updates occured and I must have overlooked putting them back when I reinput everything.  Yes online shopping is great, provided you remember everything when you're clicking away.

Generic greetings is about all I can offer today, as I need to use the PC for other purposes for a while ASAP.

Back later

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After a day on the rails, it's three days on the fairway......

Off to Hill Valley golf course near Whitchurch for an outing with 20 odd other members. Plenty of golf and banter.

I may catch up later depending on how much time we spend in the bar.

Have a good week and hope the hump goes well tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a somewhat chilly village.  Another day at the office  ​ clubroom beckons and hopefully the next third of the lighting rig will be sorted.  Off into the garage now to try and find some bottle screws that might or might not be there. 

regards to everyone and hope that various ailments improve.

Jamie ​

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Hey up! Morning greetings from the North West highlands of Leeds.

Chris F - little Bytham is a nice layout. I liked driving (playing with?) the M&GNR. Tony is also (with his good lady) a convivial host)

Glad to hear Debs is on the mend, thanks for the update Tony.

Having had a little think I may just do a Level 3 scorers course. May just keep me out of trouble next summer?

Dick, hope your good lady has recovered. Sounds nasty and not helped by a political cockwomble.

Lots to do today including some motorway driving so please take care and have a great day!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a sunny Surrey, well it was looking that it would be when we left home as it was only just starting to get light this morning when we left home.

A bit chilly but I can live with that.

Before leaving home, I more or less completed the stock tray for the 2nd stock box for Dobris as want to get them done before they get put away till next year.

Just three shows left this year but we do kick off with three consequtive ones in January.

Hump day today and looking forward to a few beers friday night to help us sleep on the Caledonian sleeper.

• Like 18

Morning all. 'Tis dreich ootside! Think I'll be doing some laundry first thing and be buying some food later…

I was thinking that…

…a model tram layout might have a special kind of appeal, but it would, of course, require you to be particularly careful in landscaping. I suppose a 1:1 representation of any particular city, even if only a chunk of it, would be a really major challenge, so I wonder if capturing the look and feel of it might be good enough?

On the plus side, you would not need a lot of rolling stock, and could even limit yourself to just one or two tram types to begin with!

I came across this layout depicting the tram network in Berlin recently: http://www.modelltram.de/Fotoalbum/vbbs.html

They've certainly taken some liberties with the topography and chronology, but excellent depications of some locations I know well.

• Like 10

Morning all, the sky is beautiful and blue over Borough Market Junction. There was a chill first thing but it should warm nicely.

Sorry to hear Smiffy's problems - political and healthwise - I hope Julie improves rapidly.

And it's a shame that Baz is effectively being forced to give up umpiring. I am not sure that ex-players always make the best umpires. Certainly the best test umpires haven't always been ex test players. I would have thought that actually having a grading system for those who are serious about umpiring would make more sense.

I had a good curry last night with a couple of friends. Although it did emerge that one had been in a hurry to get home from work neglected to ask about his younger daughter's parents' evening in the short time he had spent at home.....!

Have a good day all

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I came across this layout depicting the tram network in Berlin recently: http://www.modelltram.de/Fotoalbum/vbbs.html

They've certainly taken some liberties with the topography and chronology, but excellent depications of some locations I know well.

I like the image with the Flexity tram passing the bridge with Interflug advertisement! :jester:

• Like 9