The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Well all posts have been ticked in the appropriate manner but various indications suggest it might not have worked - so due apologies.

Yesterday evening's event was quite interesting - unfortunately a late start (reaction over-running Town Council meeting), then further delayed by technical problems (projector linked to laptop not doing what it was supposed to do) so it definitely had a touch of railway about it.   The Notwork Rail man had cancelled his attendance at short notice - over running engineering work?   But Mark Hopwood, boss man from GWR was very good - all sensible stuff although I still wonder about the veracity of what he is saying on a  particular timetable issue.  The Crossrail bloke was a pleasant fellah, just the sort you need as an 'Area Community Relations Officer' (honest!) and easy to take apart and leave floundering over timing and timetable issues where he managed three different answers (correction - one 'it's up to other people' and two 'answers) to the same question which happened to be posed in different ways by different people.  All I can say is that Crossrail trains are going to have utterly amazing performance and will need station dwell times which match those of the CBD in Sydney (18 seconds).  But overall quite informative and interesting, and the meeting over-ran (without NR's help).

Have a good day one and all

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Cars you can talk to. I've had a couple of them but I was very much in the role of psychiatrist to the car as patient.

"So, here we are again. By the side of the M25. You're sounding overheated. Why don't we take some time out whilst you cry on the hard shoulder."

I was somewhat taken by surprise when Aditi's car started to talk to me. I was pairing her phone with the car's Bluetooth system and started being told how to proceed. I haven't set up the voice control on the Fiesta or Freelander. The voice controlled sat nav in Texas has made me wary. Matthew still doesn't know what he said to make it change screen to something unhelpful!
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I was somewhat taken by surprise when Aditi's car started to talk to me. I was pairing her phone with the car's Bluetooth system and started being told how to proceed. I haven't set up the voice control on the Fiesta or Freelander. The voice controlled sat nav in Texas has made me wary. Matthew still doesn't know what he said to make it change screen to something unhelpful!

Star Trek is reality!  :O :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I thought I'd heard rain last night and the patches of damp this morning proved it. Pete, I drive a Hyundai as well and they are justifiably popular on this side of the pond getting top marks for reliability most years. Congratulations and commiserations where necessary, be back later.

• Like 7

Busy day today as we have two friends who live in France coming for dinner, along with four of their friends who we haven't met. I invited them some time ago, and Mrs G wasn't too impressed. As a result, I promised to do all the necessary cooking and cleaning. Farmers casserole & blackberry and apple crumble to make. Blackberries duly picked, and everything else bought. Cleaning underway, although I have now been instrusted to clean the living room windows and more besides! I had better get back to it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I know one word these talking cars don't understand - I get the damn thing by accident if I press the wrong part of the indicator control stalk and if I use Anglo-Saxon terminology to tell it to go away the flippin' woman just mutters 'not understood'.  I ask you - some fancy electronic gizmo for so called 'voice control' and it can't even understand basic (very basic as it happens) language.

• Like 1

Almost clear blue sky here in sunny Teignmouth today.

The rail station footbridge has almost been stripped out of all the decayed timber. The windows have all gone but I am not sure about the flooring. The ironwork looks in bad shape from the outside. Hopefully the timber and the windows were not holding it all together. It is beginning to look like the Kapellbrucke in Lucerne, plenty of viewing spaces.

• Like 9

You gave enough clues. I started looking for Korean cars assembled in the US as you mentioned not Japanese. The Elantra matched your description. Nearly rejected it as I initially didn't find one with a 2 litre engine!

Tony

Well, I leased at exactly $200.00 per month at 15K miles per year for 36 months. It is also taxed and “MOTed” for the duration. I thought it was a good deal.

Right-hand drive was a surprise.......

I couldn’t find a US spec photo for the 2016 model...........that photo makes it look bigger than it is.

As Liz is at college I’ve had to budget for $100K for fees, tuition and living.

When she gets out I want to get a Camarro. Undecided whether to get a new one or (which I prefer) finding a 1972 SS body (1972 aren’t considered as collectable over here as 1967 - 1971 therefore cheaper) and fitting a small block Chevy 350Ci with aluminum heads and stroked out to 383ci (updating injection, ignition and brakes with suspension to coil overs). Something like this: http://momentcar.com/images/1972-camaro-1.jpg (the trunk is open). Except more retro profile tyres.

The designer of the 1972 body has admitted he was influenced by Jaguar.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Best, Pete.

Matthew showed me his application form for Utrecht. The fees weren't high but they showed typical costs for living expenses and asked how they were going to be met. I was amused that Matthew put "self funded". Part of his course is about planning research for when this course is complete (two years). All of the " interesting " places are in North America; Toronto, North Carolina and UCLA. I have no idea how PhDs are financed in such places, I suspect I will be finding out!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How'd you feel about it if your ex did the built-in sat nav voice and your Mrs is in the car?

"Turn left in 200 yds"

"Why do you always do what she wants?" 

"Ok, I won't".

"Make a U-turn,"

"See, you're doing it again."

"Yes, dear....I mean no dear, no I don't mean you, I mean her.....oh, I don't mean anything anymore."

Ironically they both get on very well, which is even more bizarre. 

• Like 2

Well, I leased at exactly $200.00 per month at 15K miles per year for 36 months. It is also taxed and “MOTed” for the duration. I thought it was a good deal.

I couldn’t find a US spec photo for the 2016 model...........that photo makes it look bigger than it is.

When she gets out I want to get a Camarro. Undecided whether to get a new one or (which I prefer) finding a 1972 SS body (1972 aren’t considered as collectable over here as 1967 - 1971 therefore cheaper) and fitting a small block Chevy 350Ci with aluminum heads and stroked out to 383ci (updating injection, ignition and brakes with suspension to coil overs). Something like this: http://momentcar.com/images/1972-camaro-1.jpg (the trunk is open). Except more retro profile tyres.

The designer of the 1972 body has admitted he was influenced by Jaguar.

Best, Pete.

I have to admit I fancy the red thing at the left-hand side!

• Like 4

Matthew showed me his application form for Utrecht. The fees weren't high but they showed typical costs for living expenses and asked how they were going to be met. I was amused that Matthew put "self funded". Part of his course is about planning research for when this course is complete (two years). All of the " interesting " places are in North America; Toronto, North Carolina and UCLA. I have no idea how PhDs are financed in such places, I suspect I will be finding out!

Don’t let me put a dampener on Mathew’s continuing education................... As you know US Universities “hammer” out of Stater’s. The fees for Rutgers are doubled, for instance.

Lord knows what they do with people from a different country, but I understand that the Chinese students are keeping Princeton (as an example) in the black.

Best, Pete.

I have to admit I fancy the red thing at the left-hand side!

The Duke?

Best, Pete.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just heard that the body panel that the repairer had been awaiting for the Peugeot is at last in transit to their premises, as it had to be sent from France, as the UK warehouse didn't have the part in stock, hence the delay.  Car should be back by the end of the week, all being well. 

Now waiting for this week's e-mail confirming when the shopping is coming, who is bringing it, and what is not included (hopefully nothing).

Walked to as far as the pub and back this morning, which is actually pretty good for this stage of recovery.

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Gold

When she gets out I want to get a Camarro. Undecided whether to get a new one or (which I prefer) finding a 1972 SS body (1972 aren’t considered as collectable over here as 1967 - 1971 therefore cheaper) and fitting a small block Chevy 350Ci with aluminum heads and stroked out to 383ci (updating injection, ignition and brakes with suspension to coil overs). Something like this: http://momentcar.com/images/1972-camaro-1.jpg (the trunk is open). Except more retro profile tyres..

ISTR before the Camaro was launched, one of the mags - Card & River, Rod & Truck maybe - had a press-fleet example on test. They pulled into a petrol (ok, so gas) station and the 'pump jockey' called to his mate "Hey - come and look at the Chevrolet Mustang!" Ford had really hit the mark with their pony-car.

• Like 4

Just listening to the TV news tonight reporting on the 100th anniversary of the death of Edith Cavell that Cavell is being pronounced to rhyme with gavel. All my life I've pronounced it Ca - vell to rhyme with yell. (as has everyone else I know)

Have I/we been wrong all these years?  :scratchhead:

Last month I sold my EM layout to a chap in Clevedon, north Somerset. I agreed to deliver it and asked for overnight accommodation in a B&B. He arranged this at a place in the town called Cavell House. It was a girls school in days gone by  and she attended there.

This link explains www.cavellhouse.com/

• RMweb Gold

Don’t let me put a dampener on Mathew’s continuing education................... As you know US Universities “hammer” out of Stater’s. The fees for Rutgers are doubled, for instance.

Lord knows what they do with people from a different country, but I understand that the Chinese students are keeping Princeton (as an example) in the black.

Same here. Matthew felt that the Masters programme he did last year was more of a cash cow than an academic programme. He liked Calgary and seems to really like Utrecht. Matthew's fees in Utrecht are the same as a Dutch person. I had a look at fees structures for the places Matthew mentioned. The UCLA one is understandable, the Toronto one is not, and the North Carolina one confused my Android device.

Afternoon all,

Haven't had a chance to catch up fully, but before the next few chores, I thought I'd pop in a short post! Not a brilliant night's sleep thanks to ongoing alimentary system problems, probably caused by the bug I appear to have picked up, but the main thing was that the pain level again seemed lessened!

Bill, I liked the images of the 'New Gauge' on the Lea Valley site - my father had a workshop for developing racing motorcycle engines in Ware for a few years, and I can remember that all the Lea Valley water board lands were kept well manicured, all the way to Rye Meads sewage treatment plant and on down in to Edmonton. It looks as if the same sense of pride in the appearance still exists today!

Pete(trisonic), I arrived at that conclusion as I went to sleep last night, but Tony beat me to posting it. (I have in fairness, a bit of experience in the field!). The Hyundai marque has really advanced in the last few years, principally since it became a separate company when the giant conglomerate split up a few years ago. Apparently, all the separate elements of the group are still run by members of the original post war founder's family! In the UK they now offer a five year, unlimited mileage warranty, and the build quality is considerably better than that in the first tinny little cars to come here from Korea. European market models are mainly produced in the Czech Republic these days. Lovely looking, but sadly too low for me to get in and out of now, so Joanna and I will stick to our Citroën C3 Picasso for the moment!

Ian(Abel), many thanks for the update on Debs, sounds like the famous sense of humour is still intact. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery, and I really hope that the operation will eventually allow her to function better!

Rick, I'm glad to read that you seem to have the pain under control - we await the outcome of the quest for a cause!

Sherry, very cheering news that you should be back to your best in time for the 'welding' - I now go off to my graveyard/headstone chores with a light heart!

Hope the same news comes from all our other ailing members when I look back in later,

Kind regards,

Jock.