The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

hey up... finally posted a response to comments made re Warley Show on another thread. I do like seeing all of the facts about something.

Been busy with all sorts of things but no trains as yet today. (typing up Cricket Committee minutes is so boring!)

Meant to look at the moon but was very tired after yesterday so  thanks for the photos Jamie!

Mick - you requested the right accommodation but it seems to have gone pear shaped...

Baz

• RMweb Gold

I read your post. All much as I had presumed as never thought of it as a commercial show where any individuals gained financially. I had often heard horror stories about exhbiting but after doing so twice in recent years its been very enjoyable and looking forward again to this year with Santa Barbara.

Received our exhibtors pack yesterday (left with next door) and all appears to be in order from my quick look so far.

Ian

• Like 9

I watched the clip from Interstellar that Dom posted. Very different on this tiny tablet. I had recorded the film onto my Sky+ box and watched it last week. The sound track for that scene certainly exercised my loudspeakers.

Tony

Even certain scientists believe that that was the best representation, visually, of a Black Hole (so far)..... Who did the Soundtrack, Tony? Was it Hans Zimmer?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I doubt I will get an apology from the individual concerned but hey ho such is life!

And I got two packs on Saturday (lucky me) and i have to fill in a form to send to me to get a badge..... but that's due to external bureaucratic changes --so much for cutting red tape - and it ain't from Brussels....nuff said.. back to minute writing.....

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

Afternoon all from Scottish HQ. Been a busy day so far, so this is first opportunity to post!

Yesterday involved a 2K Junior Parkrun with Jamie (she was 10 seconds off her PB, so slightly disappointed with that), and then in the afternoon, skiing. We're so lucky to have the indoor snow facility in Glasgow - it really is a great thing to have around.

Back is much better now, despite picking Jamie up a couple of times yesterday! Hope all are well!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Even certain scientists believe that that was the best representation, visually, of a Black Hole (so far)..... Who did the Soundtrack, Tony? Was it Hans Zimmer?

Best, Pete.

Not sure. I was originally just watching the film via the television speakers but the voices seemed to lack clarity so I switched the cinema sound system on. That made everything fine. However once the black hole segment started the sub woofer must have been receiving considerable information, much more than most films anyway. I could really feel it. Aditi wasn't at home so I didn't have to turn it down. I don't think she really likes surround sound. I have seen her duck if some object sounds as if it flies across the room.

Tony

Luckily up for a P at 0245, so woke Gabe and daughter with boyfriend who all stayed to look at the moon for a half hour; not quite so red here as in some photos but our streetlights are on through the night. Amazed at the slowness compared to the partial eclipse of the sun last year. In awe of Jock and Joanna who stayed up outside for the entire thing.

Needed to go back to bed because car due in for MOT early. Being a VW was a little disconcerted an hour or so ago when the VW garage said that the car wouldn't be ready until tmrw morning; more onboard computer alterations? (Allegedly).

Been a warm sunny day again here, very pleasant Indian summer set to continue all week. 

Mal

• Like 1

Not sure. I was originally just watching the film via the television speakers but the voices seemed to lack clarity so I switched the cinema sound system on. That made everything fine. However once the black hole segment started the sub woofer must have been receiving considerable information, much more than most films anyway. I could really feel it. Aditi wasn't at home so I didn't have to turn it down. I don't think she really likes surround sound. I have seen her duck if some object sounds as if it flies across the room.

Tony

I looked it up; it is Hans Zimmer - probably his whole team worked on it. His productions are usually cutting edge but extremely subtle - which is good because you come away thinking that the music was good but you can’t whistle a tune! That’s how it should be in movies.

I really like his work on “Inception” (which is worth watching too)  Christopher Nolan  directed that as well as “Interstellar”

Best, Pete.

PS Some modern TV’s have some really strange audio built into them.......

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

I thought I posted earlier after I'd rated most of the posts that I've read, but it seems to have gone off into cyber-space somewhere, and I can't really remember what I was saying back then anyway,  However, it would have been the usual generic greetings and things, and a comment on Sherry's post about her neighbours.

Quiet day here, though I have not been pain-free, and I may need to rethink the dose on the tramadol again, as there's some leeway there in the dosage.  I tried to reduce the morning dose to 50mg from 100, but I think it may be too early.  Meantime, this is my early night check in before turning in early, which is one of the things that I need to do as by this time I'm starting to wilt a little.

I'll try to get back again tomorrow morning, and will probably lurk a-while here for a while..

Nighty night

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I looked it up; it is Hans Zimmer - probably his whole team worked on it. His productions are usually cutting edge but extremely subtle - which is good because you come away thinking that the music was good but you can’t whistle a tune! That’s how it should be in movies.

I really like his work on “Inception” (which is worth watching too)  Christopher Nolan  directed that as well as “Interstellar”

Best, Pete.

PS Some modern TV’s have some really strange audio built into them.......

I can't even remember any music so it must have been very good. The audio on my TV is usually fine but something wasn't right this time. It sounded fine with the cinema sound amp. If I had a slightly more modern TV it could switch the sound system on but I am not replacing the telly to save pressing one button.

Aditi said when she retires I will have to show her how to use all this "stuff".

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Our surround sound remains a male bastion too, Tony.  Debs had just worked out how to use the HDD recorder when it went down - 12 years.....the new one is slightly different - and easier - so that may get it down to 5!  The surround amp is an old Kenwood which is pretty good for that sort of thing, not so good at subtle music though, it's a bit sort of bassy and grumbly.  Musical Fidelity amp for the fine stuff!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Our surround sound remains a male bastion too, Tony.  Debs had just worked out how to use the HDD recorder when it went down - 12 years.....the new one is slightly different - and easier - so that may get it down to 5!  The surround amp is an old Kenwood which is pretty good for that sort of thing, not so good at subtle music though, it's a bit sort of bassy and grumbly.  Musical Fidelity amp for the fine stuff!

Aditi basically can't be bothered! She has no problems with audio equipment at work but at home is fine with TV and Sky+ box but otherwise if at home by herself she just makes use of the various radios she has around the house.

My cinema amp is supposedly OK for music and I am happy enough.

Aditi did ask that I shouldn't have wires trailing but that wasn't difficult. She also was pleased that the speakers more or less match the "rosewood" finish of the other lounge furniture. I don't think my ears are good enough to make spending more money than I did on what the magazines refer to as entry level systems. I know some people can and understand why they might wish to. I even think the audio system in my car sounds OK so perhaps I am easily pleased. Though the earworm of the day (and yesterday) from the car radio isn't one of the more cheerful ditties around. Good job I am not feeling miserable!

• Like 13