The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a sunny if blustery Estuary-Land. Today is 80 years since the driving test was introduced, there was a piece about it on the breakfast program featuring films of the time and also of the 'Cardrome' at Hornchurch from about fifty years ago. I recognised the Cardrome as I only lived about half a mile away at the time. When I lived at Burnham-on-Crouch in the mid 80's many of the locals were quite elderly and few had ever taken a driving test and they frequently found themselves up before the magistrates for various driving offences. The magistrates answer to the problem was to suspend their licences until they'd passed a test which few if any could. One elderly gentleman of my acquaintance told me that he did take driving lessons back in the 1920's after he'd bought his first car which had tiller steering. Eventually he developed dementia and his doctor told him to stop driving but he was later seen driving about as he had forgotten his doctors orders. :O

Morning all - with an unstated 'good' today, as the sun is shining.

I believe the solar-powered airplane was in the news this morning because it has been forced to land due to bad weather near Japan.

I have a spare pack of Duracell*  AA if that would help . . . 

**Other battery brands are available

• RMweb Premium

Jock, I read the Wamburgh book so long ago now that I’ve forgotten the story line!  I have been enjoying the whodunits (not the same I know but) by the woman that wrote “Vera” - but the ones set in Shetland (no we haven’t had that particular TV series yet).  I don’t often enjoy American Police “procedurals” but did enjoy and can recommend Dennis Lehane’s  “Mystic River” set in working class Boston, MASS.

Best, Pete.       

I also like Anne Cleeves books especially the Shetland ones.  The series is great Pete and worth waiting for.  Vera has now changed over here as they've run out of books and have moved it's location to a city centre.

Jock and Pete, Joseph Wambaugh is one of my favourite authors as he wrote from his own experience as a cop in LA.  I read the Choir Boys when I was still fairly young in service working a busy inner city sub division.  Though many things were different, particularly the presence of firearms, much of it struck a chord with me as it's about a bunch of guys wading through the sewer of life and trying to survive and to keep their humanity.  Two other very good ones by Wambaugh are The Black Marble and Delta Star.  In a similar vein Hill Street Blues was much appreciated by the shift that I worked on.  

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I heard about Solar Impulse 2 (round-the-world) solar-powered aircraft on t'wireless this morning. On Googling it appears that they may "run the engines up" before take off. It appears that they may use some device that puts energy into the engines. Does anyone know any more?

Ed

There was some coverage on BBC News Channel last night and it was in a very brightly lit hangar before it was wheeled out to take off so it was fully charged at the time it took off.  According to the report it can put more than enough charge into the batteries by day in order to keep it flying overnight - hence it can manage long flights lasting several days/nights but I reckon at the first strong storm it would probably be ripped to pieces - very lightweight looking thing with a huge wingspan.

And good morning all,

Bit sunny at present but I don't think it will last and rain is forecast for later.  Nothing special planned and teh words 'day out' or 'garden' have not been mentioned (yet)

Have a good day folks

• Like 1

Morning all, back from sunny Portugal. We're relaxed and tanned and I have discovered that I have developed an unreasoning fear of water slides in the 20 years since I last went down one  :blush_mini:

Work is frantic so no time to go back through c30 pages of ERs.

EDIT - congratulations and commiserations as appropriate.

Edited by The Lurker

Wet and windy here and probably heading your way!

We've been getting the boat all packed up and ready to go this morning as it is being collected after lunch. Sad to see it go but happy to know it's going to be put to good use (sea scouts/sailabilty).

We had a very strange magpie in the garden this morning, all the white bits were red. We had heard about it being seen in the srea but this was our first sighting. I must keep the camera handy in case it reappears.

It's a bank holiday here today which probably explains the weather!

Hope no one gets blown away in the gales heading your way.

• Like 13

I'd bin and gorn by 7am.

I went to look for the farmer's wife mentioned previously (link please - I'm interested in that sort of thing).

It reminded me of a rural story:

A farmer sold a cow with a face like a woman for a million pounds.

His friend was very miserable.

"You've just sold your cow with a face like a woman for a million pounds.

My wife has a face like a cow and she ain't worth twopence".

DD, simply go to BBC iPlayer, press the 'Search' button and type 'Country File' then click on the picture that comes up entitled 'Country File Channel Islands'. Press play and move the slide bar at the bottom to around 20m 52sec and she should appear with her old farmer dad!

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suppose it is one of those " every cloud has a silver lining" situations that resulted in a very cheery phone call from Aditi during work hours this morning. I wondered why but she was walking to another building to use the loo. The waste pipes under the floor of the gents loo in her building had collapsed and this meant all the other loos were unavailable.

Although it was nice to hear from Aditi she did use the opportunity to suggest some things I could do today, especially as the weather was so nice. Well it may have been sunny in Stratford but it has gone really cloudy here and has just started to drizzle.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

Morning all,

......................Ian(OD), thought of your nickname while watching 'Country File' this evening, they interviewed a farmer's daughter on Sark and I swear that her 'udders' were bigger than those on the cattle behind - not being sexist, Joanna called me through from the kitchen, so remarkable were they! Any one who disbelieved me can catch it on BBC iPlayer. ........

Jock.

G'night All!

It has been said that more than a handful is a waste!!

PS: the link to view Mary (yes, really!) in the dairy:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05y0t05/countryfile-channel-islands

I wonder if she might be a nursing mother as there are damp patches which could be caused by leaking breast milk.

Edited by Ashcombe

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

New car is still a learning curve and a half - found a stalk to the right of the steering which appears to be a limiter/cruise control, but the manual said that control where fitted is on the LEFT.   And still no user guide for the Clarion SatNav, though the dealer has hopes of getting one soon.  Still, we'll get there, I'm sure.  I think I may call in on the garage's local branch tomorrow to see of they can help me with a couple of things that the user guide doesn't seem to cover.

Stewart,

I had exactly the same problem with my new Bentley.

When I suggested  certain manuals might be advantageous, it was pointed out to me, in no uncertain terms, that my chauffeur would fully understand how everything worked.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if she might be a nursing mother as there are damp patches which could be caused by leaking breast milk.

I am agreeing about "more than a handful", not about nursing mothers, and of course iPlayer etc. overseas means.....

Jock noted my name as being Old Udders, rather than a play on my surname. Cleaner Alison made the same remark when we first corresponded before we'd met. I had to point out that at my age, being invited to - er - interact with young udders would seem implausible.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Mary from the dairy OMG  :bad:  

Ellie Harrison, Leather trousers :maninlove:  :wub:

....you wouldn't want to bang your nose if you fell over though S.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

back from the Test Match as

a)  it is raining

b)  B)  it is freezing

c)   it is blowing a hoolie

d)   food and beverages are much cheaper at home.

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

I get that nosebleed thing too. My Wife has no sympathy: “Don’t bleed over everything in the bathroom!

Best, Pete.

Gave you a funny, Pete, because that could S0 sound like me!

Sympathize -ise :jester:  really, part and parcel of hayfever for me!

Afternoon all from a rather cold, soggy and windy red dragon land.

Shopping today to use the Spend £££ and Get £ off token.

As Ray was adding to the shopping list, so I was deleting.

Got to save some things for the next token.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Time for tea.

Enjoy the rest of your day and I'll carry on catching up later.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all! Missed posting this a.m., so apologies. Interesting "welcoming day" was had, though the experience was somewhat marred by a conversation with my parents last night who don't seem to really understand my motivation for picking this job. I had mentioned it to them a while ago when it hadn't been certain yet, but it seemed to me they hadn't really taken the idea seriously to begin with.

I wonder how common it is for parents to want to know better what's supposedly good for their children, and I'd certainly want to avoid this kind of trap once we might have children of our own…