The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

ANNIE

I've written a description of circumstances here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98351-annie/

How do I add a 'strap line' to my posts please?

Hi Ddolfelin,

It's easy:

Select 'my profile' from the drop down menu where your login name is shown.

Click 'edit profile' button.

Select 'signature' from the list on left and type away......

Job done.

Good Luck

Great weather in Cornwall, sadly heading back up country tomorrow but sporting impressive tan. Limited WIFi access hence brevity and infrequency of postings. Hope all sufferers are as well as can be expected.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Apparently I probably have a microbial infection and a virus, two different things going on.  Too many hugs at the funeral I suspect.  Either that or the revenge of the Catholic church on me for having gone into one of their rather more austere establishments. :O

Morning all (again, belatedly).  Been up since 6, had to get in early as I needed to get some stuff done in the office before the start of the normal working day.

Hoping for a POETS day afternoon as a result! 

We used to have lots of fancy doves. After the elderly owner of a house with a dovecote died the birds went feral. They seemed a bit more vulnerable to predation but were around for a few years. Big chubby wood pigeons have taken over the pigeon vacancy here. Seeing something of that size trying to emulate a bluetit is quite amusing.

Mum and Dad now have about a dozen pheasants visiting their bird table, along with assorted woodpeckers, jays, reed warblers and the more usual garden fare.

I've never been called either...

Swap you...  Glad to see my mention of jury service sparked off debate yesterday!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My sentiments exactly, after 22 years on the bench, which did disqualify me from jury service, I'm glad to be retired again*. Unfortunately the law was changed a couple of years ago regarding jury service and Magistrates. I am now not dis-qualified from jury service but hopefully my age will put me at the bottom of any lists.  

* I retired from work in 2003 and the bench in 2013!

Ah, different law here of course!  I'm off the hook for 10 years, and there's an age limit of 65, not sure if that is legislation or a gentleman's agreement.  After the 10 years I will be 65 and three months old....whoopee!  I don't suppose I can serve on the Bench either, come to think of it.  I was asked back when we were in the UK, after a CIPD visit to the Crown Courts in Newcastle.  Didn't appeal to me then as I was an NHS manager.  Life's twists and turns, eh!

• RMweb Gold

My sentiments exactly, after 22 years on the bench, which did disqualify me from jury service, I'm glad to be retired again*. Unfortunately the law was changed a couple of years ago regarding jury service and Magistrates. I am now not dis-qualified from jury service but hopefully my age will put me at the bottom of any lists.  

* I retired from work in 2003 and the bench in 2013!

I'd never make the grade as a magistrate.

The gibbets would be full to overflowing while there would be a long queue waiting to occupy the stocks.

• Like 10

Hi Ddolfelin,

It's easy:

Select 'my profile' from the drop down menu where your login name is shown.

Click 'edit profile' button.

Select 'signature' from the list on left and type away......

Job done.

Good Luck

Thanks for that!

Not sure what I was trying to do before!

Thanks for that!

Not sure what I was trying to do before!

DD, may I suggest you also contact Andy to see if he can pin the thread to the top of Wheeltappers. It will make it easier to see and keep in people's minds if it doesn't get buried 3 pages deep within the first 2 days.

• Like 1

DD, may I suggest you also contact Andy to see if he can pin the thread to the top of Wheeltappers. It will make it easier to see and keep in people's minds if it doesn't get buried 3 pages deep within the first 2 days.

I think Andy will probably pick up on that but I'll approach him if not.

Thanks for the thought, Andrew!

Silly questions department:

Apart from buy a new loco, what is it likely to mean if a loco on a powered track doesn't move, makes a noise and gives off whiffs of blue smoke?

No problem with it when it was put away 6 months ago.

Apart from buy a new loco, what is it likely to mean if a loco on a powered track doesn't move, makes a noise and gives off whiffs of blue smoke?

Last time that happened to me (well actually it was a new loco which ran fine in the shop, I got it home half way around the world and it did 10 laps of my layout then juddered to a halt with a smell of electrical burning) I sourced a new motor via Ebay (it worked out cheaper and safer than sending it back, especially as I'd lost the receipt). But first I'd strip the loco down and check there's no gunk which has worked its way in, and work out whether the motor or something else is the problem. Of course it depends on the make and type of locomotive as to whether you have a chance of getting spare parts. Personally I have yet to meet a locomotive that couldn't be repaired (though the only coal-fired one I've touched was a James the Red Engine, so can't speak for those kettle thingies). YMMV.

Hopefully it's dirt/dust on the commutator but perhaps not. Give it a clean inside and out and do not  spray it with WD40 or the like unless you really want a fire.

Anyway long time (well, like a whole week or two) no post. Life, baby and all that. Baby has kindly agreed to adopt reasonably human sleep cycles and as a bonus sleep in his cot. Also a flower print hanging on the wall from the local IKEA knock-off is his favourite thing in the whole world. Though I recently showed him Teletubbies, which seems to be a sort of crack cocaine for 3-month old babies. As an added bonus Mrs. Railsquid is like "what on earth is that freaky stuff?". Mind you Mrs. Railsquid comes from a country where "Anpanman" (literally: Sweet Bean Bread Man) is extremely popular, to the point of there being an Anpanman Train (in regular passenger service, yes I have been on it, no it wasn't planned), so who is she to complain?

Also I acquired some extremely ancient-looking (but perfectly serviceable) Peco scenic items from a shop here for very little money, which made me strangely satisfied.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 11

Hopefully it's dirt/dust on the commutator but perhaps not. Give it a clean inside and out and do not  spray it with WD40 or the like unless you really want a fire.

If I knew what a commutator looked like I could examine it with a critical eye.

The loco is a GF.

Thanks all for trying to help.

They're not giving up on this. Just received again:

attachicon.gifpay_up_or_else.png

I have known this happen in days gone bye and a cheque for £0.0p was sent and a receipt for £0.0p received. 

This looks like an attempt to collect your card details.

I closed an account with a well known Gents outfitter that I had paid by D.D. at £1 per month. (it was a long time ago) The account had 0.20p owing and I was advised by the bank to forget it. However I kept on receiving account statements telling me I was in debt, for 20p plus interest which steadily increased over the months until my debt was 80p. That prompted me to send a cheque for 80p (I told you it was a long time ago)with a covering letter explaining that now this firm owned me 20p and whereas they had not been prepared to write off such a debt, I was! I also informed them I did not want a receipt or any other form of communication from them ever again! 

To this day, they have complied with my demand.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 2

If I knew what a commutator looked like I could examine it with a critical eye.

The loco is a GF.

Thanks all for trying to help.

This looks like an occasion when you need either a local model railway club/enthusiast  or a model railway shop.

Best of luck. 

This looks like an occasion when you need either a local model railway club/enthusiast  or a model railway shop.

Best of luck. 

I know.

They told me I was a moron at school.

"You're a moron, DD. What are you?"

"Please sir, I'm a moron."

So today I bought a camera (actually I bought it on April 1st, but it arrived today!) 17 days from China can't be bad. It is called a Y2000 and appears to work very well, especially for the princely sum of £6.75 with free postage! - the intention is to mount it on a wagon and use it to photo a layout (mine or someone elses), when I have the new one up and running. Ebay at its best. Mine is HD and appears to be 1280 x720 eBay item number: 171291531302

post-6688-0-95192500-1429288708.jpg

For anyone who is interested here is a review of its brother (The Y3000) which seems to be no different(except in the quoted price - you will need to buy a Class 10 microSD card - I got a 32mb one for around a tenner on ebay. Note that there is no CD, but it fired up a soon as it was charged - about an hour)

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Time for a nerdy Friday evening pop quiz!

Tell me what you think the following signals (and aspects thereof) signify:

dsc09890a9ue3.jpg

Focus on the four screens of the one in the foreground (with the "170" plate attached to the topmost screen) as well as the one nearer the intersection beyond the cyclists.

dsc0991693u9d.jpg

Here, tell me what the plate attached to the OHLE means.

dsc09906y3u57.jpg

And again, explain what the OHLE plate (the black and white "arrowhead" one) means.

• Like 6