The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all - not checked in for a day or so but have just caught up!  Very jealous of all those in the south of the UK with all this warm weather - it was about 10 degrees here and wet most of the morning.  Slightly nicer in the afternoon and then sunny, but windy in the evening.  I got out for some fresh air and spent an hour raking moss from the lawn - only about another 100 hours to go judging by the amount of moss raked from a tiny area.  I plan to try to finally make the lawn actually look reasonable this year, with a combination of weedkiller, mosskiller and fertiliser, and no doubt lots of hard work.

• RMweb Premium

Popped in to my local (model shop) today to buy some paint for the viaducts...

In my continued campaign to get the lad interested I took him along.

"So, do you like any of these locomotives?"

"Yes. That one."

"There's some steam trains over there."   :toclue:

"I like that one."

"The steam trains are over there."   :toclue:  :toclue:  :toclue:

"I like the green diesel."

Hmmm, it's the wrong gauge, and has "Freightliner" scrawled on the side.  :banghead:

I settled for the tin of paint. 

• Like 5

I plan to try to finally make the lawn actually look reasonable this year, with a combination of weedkiller, mosskiller and fertiliser, and no doubt lots of hard work.

Sounds like you will end up with dead moss in the lawn.

It's a problem here too.

In passing, if one uses bleach to kill 99% of all known germs, are their corpses a danger to health?

Happy birthday Debs.

In other news I spent the evening talking rubbish with some mates in the pub. Apart from that nothing much has happened.

Goodnight from the eastern paradise.

• Like 6

Evening all,

Really weary tonight having survived hospital, a funeral and a new carpet being fitted in our spare bedroom by son in law's brother (simply can't do that myself any more!) so I shall wait until tomorrow morning so commiserations/congratulations to all where required.

Couldn't help noticing that Debs was twenty one again though - seriously Debs, VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY and many more of them!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all! Don't let the bed bugs bite!

PS thanks for your concern MickB, I think I mentioned yesterday that I would probably be awol today but in any case, more in tomorrow's post but nonetheless I'm touched!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In other news I spent the evening talking rubbish with some mates in the pub.

In other news, ER's talked rubbish with other ER's............. :jester:

Fact of the day.

The Moon is drifting away from the Earth at 3.78cm/year. About the same rate that fingernails grow at......

ER tomorrow at 7.20am for the first of 5 planned rounds of golf in the next 8 days. Not including 9 holes earlier this evening. Then it's off to the local driving test centre.

In other news, according to the DBS, I'm a "fit and proper person" (DBS - Disclosure and Barring Service - formery CRB checks), so that means I can apply to renew my driving instructor badge.

Happy Birthday Debs,

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

In other news, ER's talked rubbish with other ER's............. :jester:

Fact of the day.

The Moon is drifting away from the Earth at 3.78cm/year. About the same rate that fingernails grow at......

Fact of the day 2:

The various Apollo missions brought 382Kg of Moon rock back to Earth.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Ack!! I nearly missed Debs birthday - Happy Birthday Debs hope you had a wonderful day... :drink_mini:

Boy, being stuck in a basement without decent internet (except internal corporate access) is really getting to me, be nice to be done after tomorrow and headed home!

Happy Hump day (very late I know) to everyone

• Like 2

Morning, sorry did not return till late yesterday, belated Happy Birthday Debs.

I'll start today on a brief history of our Railway network. ( or what's left of it ) The earliest main line railway was opened in  1871; Launceston & Western Railways (L&WR) on a 5' 3" (1.600mm) line, which ran from Launceston to Deloraine. Later in 1876 the Tasmanian Main Line Railway  Company (TMLR)  had completed the line from Hobart to Evandale on a 3' 6" (1.067mm). Both lines owned by private company's met at Evandale, the TMLR laid a third rail on L&WR track, so a dual gauge line was then used for the final 11miles (17km) to Launceston.

The Tasmanian government had set up it's own railway in 1872 forming the Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR) swallowing up smaller private owned rail systems, many struggling with costs. The TGR took over the L&WR in 1888 and the TMLR in 1890. The TGR resulting in the whole rail network being the narrow gauge 3'6" (1.067). In 1978 TGR was joined to the Australian National Railways Commission (ANR) and the TGR as Tasrail.

Since 1997 - 2007 the railway has been owned by various multi national company's, sounding sirens of distress of our network. At one stage in 2007 we looked like loosing it altogether!. The railway was owned and partially still is by Pacific National who in turn are owned by TOLL and Patrick Organisation. ( now there's some bloody money $$$$$$), They held the railway to ransom unless they received a multi million dollar' bailout'! from the state government. They got it!, both the state and federal government paid T&PC $AU120million to keep it running. The state government had to buy back the lease from Pacific National for AU$78million plus, AU$4million per annum for maintenance.

In 2009 both Pacific National and the newly formed state owned railway company, Tasmanian Railway PTY LTD trading as TasRail entered a business sale agreement to purchase back the Tasmanian railways. TasRail is responsible for all infrastructure, operations and maintenance.

Tasmania has a very small rail network compared to other country's, a large parish hall would fit it in N gauge.  There are no longer passenger services in Tasmania, the last one been in 1978. Main freight services are container, log, cement, newsprint, coal and other minerals.  

We are very thankful to boast thirteen railway related preservation groups in little pockets all over the island. A round of applause to these people. What I may also add, each one of these groups have some unique railway systems, both past and present.

More later, cheers Tex.

post-25722-0-96410600-1429153713.png TGR rail system (1890-1978)

Edited by Tassie Tex
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Tex

Thanks for the history and map on the rail lines on the island.

How much is still in use, lifted etc. and has there been any mention of reopening any of it for  passenger services other than preservation?

Look forward to the next installment.

Ian

Morning all. A bit cooler today fortunately.

Jock - Forgot that you had mentioned that you may not be posting for a day or so due to more important things getting in the way.

Tex - The rail history of Tasmania is really appreciated. Looking forward to the next part.

Have a good day everyone

Morning All,

It is another bright morning in this part of the world.  Apparently, it is due to get a bit colder again but at the moment it is quite warm for the time of year.

Fact of the day 2:

The various Apollo missions brought 382Kg of Moon rock back to Earth.

Cheers,

Mick

Fact of the day 3:

An incredibly large proportion of that Moon rock is missing or stolen (around 2/3 if memory serves).

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 6

Morning All,

It is another bright morning in this part of the world.  Apparently, it is due to get a bit colder again but at the moment it is quite warm for the time of year.

Fact of the day 3:

An incredibly large proportion of that Moon rock is missing or stolen (around 2/3 if memory serves).

Have a good day everyone...

I blame the Clangers.

Looks like people are catching up in Stargazing from a couple of weeks ago.

• RMweb Gold

We were lucky both last night and so far this morning with the Brighton derailment.

However many suffered, even more as on top of that there was a linside fire at Arundel causing problems on the Arun Valley route (ex work colleague who commutes to And from Barnham got caught up as his train home is normally via Hove) and a signal problems between Hastings and Eastbourne.

This morning still problems plus a fatality at Gipsy Hill which is the route many Thameslink services now take to avoid LBG so our train is a lot busier.

Didn't sleep well last night. normally happens when we visit Mum in the evening as she feeds us too much!

However this morning I did get chance to do a little bit of work on rebuilt Bulleid EXETER as the RT models lost wax casting drain pipes arrived in the post.