The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning ish all from the leafy burbs of Twickenham. It's certification exam day. Most people do one exam with a couple of weeks gap in between. I don't have that luxury so I'm writing all 3 in one day. First one down and passed. Brunch time in the William Webb Ellis, with time for revision and the next test in 30 mins. If all goes well I predict a minor celebratory drink or 3 in the Rake later this afternoon.

Robert, Jock: words can not convey my heartfelt sadness at your losses. They are at peace and your memories of them will ensure they each live on in you both.

Have a good day all. Hug someone every day.

• Like 12

Jock, Robert, sorry to hear your respective sad news. 

Jock, in dispensing hugs to all, don't forget to get one yourself, as ever you give everyone support and I hope that you grab some yourself.

So, here's one to you from me and the family. :preved:

Agree totally

• RMweb Premium

Thoughts with you, Jock… I know being relieved of unspeakable suffering is, in and of itself, a good thing, but as it goes along with a beloved person no longer being there, it's not that easy to accept regardless. For me, at least...

• RMweb Premium

On the washing machine front, said appliance is up and running. It's a Samsung combined washing machine and dryer and according to a sticker on the face plate, equipped with an electronically controlled motor inverter. Wonder if this could be hacked in order to play a Taurus style sound scale? :jester:

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't really expecting my wifi to still be working, but it is, so here I am.

And things have improved a good bit, but I expect to be here overnight. Sherry has been here yet again, bless her, always cheering me up.

I am sorry others have had horrid news. My slight discomfort since the op is put in perspective by their sadness.

Countdown in full swing...

...Ian Abel - Excellent news about Mrs Abel's sight. Once the other is done I can see a lot of re-decorating heading your way...

Thanks, <sigh> I sure hope not! At least when seeing the colour of the banisters she didn't immediately say "eeewwww", so I may be in luck.

Ian (Abel) glad that your wife's cataratc op went well.  When my retired surgeon friend, who is also a gifted artist, had his done he found that it completely altered his colour perception and that the paintings he'd done before the op had totally wrong colour balance in blue's purples etc.

Thanks. Funny thing, she remarked last night that she'd just taken a look at the cards etc., in the game "Ticket to Ride" (which we played Easter), as she wanted to check on what the colours really were, especially the item all three of US referred to as purple and SHE insisted was a pink hue - turns out it IS purple :)

This is going to be interesting, my only hope is that she doesn't now decide she needs an entire new wardrobe once she starts going though her clothes! :jester:

Commiserations to Jock and Robert - always tough to know what to say. Our good friend whose wife died a couple of months back will be getting a call from us today as today was her birthday and we usually celebrated, if not on the day, within a couple of days, with dinner somewhere :scared:

BIN day here and +2 with moderate rain when I braved the elements and wheeled the thing out (only ONE today as the recycle BIN is only every other week). Still raining and expected to continue most of the day reaching +6 maximum then zero overnight.

Work email is calling - heads up, it IS POETS day tomorrow

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 12

Always tough, Robert.

Pleased that Ian had a gentle nurse.

Is that extra?

A gentle nurse eh? I married one and I've never looked back. (I have but she might read this)

I hope Ian takes things steady and doesn't exceed 2000 SPM (Shakes per minute) in any gear.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, <sigh> I sure hope not! At least when seeing the colour of the banisters she didn't immediately say "eeewwww", so I may be in luck.

Thanks. Funny thing, she remarked last night that she'd just taken a look at the cards etc., in the game "Ticket to Ride" (which we played Easter), as she wanted to check on what the colours really were, especially the item all three of US referred to as purple and SHE insisted was a pink hue - turns out it IS purple :)

This is going to be interesting, my only hope is that she doesn't now decide she needs an entire new wardrobe once she starts going though her clothes! :jester:

/quote]

I would suggest that if the new wardrobe is requested that you should start suing the hospital for the extra expense if the consequences are known about but were not in the small print, unless she happened to have her handbag on that paragraph when the consent form was signed.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was in Jewsons earlier today buying some bagged ballast and there was a young lady (mid 30s or thereabouts dressed in a short dress and knee length boots - and not looking at all like an electrician) who was buying the largest size they had of cable ties.  Mrs Stationmaster thought this was very funny when i told he about it a few minutes ago.

• Like 1

Cancelled weekend trip across the channel - too many impediments.

Maybe when it has calmed down a bit at the Ports.

I'm going on a jolly instead.

Probably call at Llangollen (new steam loco (?)), Bewdley and Stourport on Severn.

For somewhere to lay my head I've booked 1er Inn.

Hope Lenny hasn't been sleeping in my bed.

Have a good weekend if you are able.

Hope to see that those with health problems are brighter when I get back.

Be nice to each other.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I was in Jewsons earlier today buying some bagged ballast and there was a young lady (mid 30s or thereabouts dressed in a short dress and knee length boots - and not looking at all like an electrician) who was buying the largest size they had of cable ties.  Mrs Stationmaster thought this was very funny when i told he about it a few minutes ago.

I'm trying to imagine what she needs them for. :whistle:

• RMweb Gold

I'm trying to imagine what she needs them for. :whistle:

Perhaps she knows someone who has just had a catheter removed too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On a much more serious note...

I'm sitting in a hotel room just having a quick catch up and I'm really saddened to read today's news.

Jock, Robert (and anyone whose posts I may have missed) our thoughts are with you and the families of your friends.

Jock - Terrible, but as you say, not unexpected news. You are a tower of strength and advice for many people on here and elsewhere. Although I have never communicated with the family in any form, but know of them through yourself my sympathies to her husband and mum.

Robert - Trying to compose words of wisdom and comfort in this type of situation is virtually impossible especially conveying the true meaning as well. I'm sure that the words you have chosen will mean a great deal

• RMweb Gold

Just a brief check in before going for food. Now in comfortable quiet hotel in Avignon. We seem to have a view of a courtyard rather than the railway yard or the city wall.

TGV seems to have more leg room than Eurostar but the food from the bar on TGV was crisps and chocolate. Glad we had a snack at Lille.

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Currently sitting here thinking with a pint of Pride. The reason I'm thinking is that Chris has just booked a break (to cheer me up!) in September at the Sea Trout Inn in Staverton!  We went there a couple of years ago and she really enjoyed it (and the railway) so wants to go again. 

I'm just thinking that now is probably not the right time to mention that I've ordered the Stirling Single!

• Like 4