The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Abingdon show duly visited - 8 quid each this year but there were a number of 'new to us ' layouts plus a number of RMweb and other folk to meet and chat with so a good time was had despite the stinging sensation in my wallet (and no other money was spent either apart from sampling the leisure centre's catering as the good Doctor's later plans didn't sit too well with our usual post-show visit to The Plough at Long Whittenham).  BTW having sampled the catering I would recommend any others who visit the Abingdon Whitehorse Leisure Centre to not waste spend money on the hot food - not a gourmet experience by any measure alas.

Highlight of the day incidentally, some good layouts apart, was Missy's Ffestiniog Rlwy 'Prince' which she has underway in 2mm scale to run on 4mm gauge track - that nice Mr Churchward had a suitable turn of phrase for such efforts.

BTW as for learning foreign languages I was fairly useless at them at school but ended up in my final big railway job having to use them quite a lot (and had a nice young lady come in to the office to give me French lessons).  We also had an interesting and very useful textbook called 'EnTrain de Parler'

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Some of the cranberry drinks used by my mother for persistent bladder infections following surgery contained very little cranberry and a lot of sweetener. She was recommended some concentrated cranberry product but only antibiotics ever helped. Moose live in cranberry bogs so it would be interesting to see if they appear to have bladder problems.

That conjours a strange image of you and Robbie tracking moose in bogs to see how often the pee. I bet Robbie would find it fun.

Don

• Like 1

Good morning, all (just in time!

after which I can offer unlimited time to be in France (and play nursey!

Whether you will be playing nursey with or without the uniform or whether you will both be playing Drs and nurses, we don't really need to know Sherry!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Abingdon show duly visited - 8 quid each this year but there were a number of 'new to us ' layouts plus a number of RMweb and other folk to meet and chat with so a good time was had despite the stinging sensation in my wallet (and no other money was spent either apart from sampling the leisure centre's catering as the good Doctor's later plans didn't sit too well with our usual post-show visit to The Plough at Long Whittenham).  BTW having sampled the catering I would recommend any others who visit the Abingdon Whitehorse Leisure Centre to not waste spend money on the hot food - not a gourmet experience by any measure alas.

Highlight of the day incidentally, some good layouts apart, was Missy's Ffestiniog Rlwy 'Prince' which she has underway in 2mm scale to run on 4mm gauge track - that nice Mr Churchward had a suitable turn of phrase for such efforts.

BTW as for learning foreign languages I was fairly useless at them at school but ended up in my final big railway job having to use them quite a lot (and had a nice young lady come in to the office to give me French lessons).  We also had an interesting and very useful textbook called 'EnTrain de Parler'

I would have given that a sympathetic vote apart but for the last two bits Missy's work is always inspiring and the last bit doesn't sound like work to me. Does Mrs SM know about this? :nono:

Don

• RMweb Gold

That conjours a strange image of you and Robbie tracking moose in bogs to see how often the pee. I bet Robbie would find it fun.

Don

Collecting urine samples from Robbie was quite an adventure. Cat owners kept telling me it was so easy to collect a cat wee sample.

Gloomy here in the rain, and gloomy for five minutes since Scotland lost to Italy, ahem. Every year we say perhaps we'll do well in the 6Nations and we're not... again! Anyway, onward to the England match in two weeks.

Glad that Ian is managing the situation - and good wishes to all those with the lurgy. There seems to be a lot of it about this year

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone else noticed how much food the birds ate consuming at the moment?

Sherry kindly provided an imposing bird feeder at Christmas, but we were a bit underwhelmed by the level of response while she was here. Not so now, with bluetits and sparrows/dunnocks thronging the place much of the day. The vertical hopper thingie has needed to be refilled twice in a week, and the bluetits are hammering their way through the fatballs. Very pleasing.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Glad to hear that Ian's waterworks problem isn't serious, my dad had the same problem and I had to twist his arm a bit to get him to see the doctor. After the op he was as right as rain. I was checked out in that department last September when I had the kidney stones as they can be the result of an enlarged prostate. Fortunately my prostate turned out to be OK, only slightly enlarged which is apparently usual for men of a certain age.

...and the bluetits are hammering their way through the fatballs. Very pleasing...

Really!! I mean you HAD to post it that way??? I'm sorry, it is simply TOO APPEALING, but I will have to refrain, and just let the rest of the schoolboys blunder on ad nauseum  :jester:

The wedding last night was simply lots of fun, and very enjoyable especially since we are the grooms parents were way in the minority age-wise!

The bride and groom are both exceptionally lovely people, and I think they will enjoy their future together very much. The "ceremony" was the shortest on record I think, maybe lasting 8-10 minutes, basically avowing their love for each other and then being pronounced by the officiator as married, and let's party - fully the intent of those getting married!

So off we went for the next 4 hours, great appetizers (no "meal" just appetizers and desserts, and of course an open bar - very good plan IMHO). They young folks in the majority loved the band, a "Talking Heads cover band", and after a couple of glasses of wine we found them OK too :O  :jester:

Left around midnight, and my ears have finally stopped ringing!!!!

Off to see a couple of "show homes" today as the Mrs likes to go see what folks do when they decide to spend way too much on improvements - regular event here but I have NO IDEA why they schedule it for a weekend at the end of February - so bloody cold.

Son over this afternoon so I can help him with his taxes, Jemma next weekend, they I suppose I should get mine done after that.

-8 out and sunny, heading for -6. See you later.

• Like 10

Cleared the baseboards today. took everything into the kitchen to repackage it.

Then had to clear the kitchen and put it back on the baseboards

But at least it's in boxes now. The thing is that there are so many boxes with "partially completed" stuff in them.

And in other news the spuds are baking, the steak is out of the fridge coming up to room temperature prior to being sizzled, and I'm about to start on the salad and dressing.

And it's raining out, the fire is lit, the dogs are snoozing and, like us, couldn't give a damn.

• RMweb Premium

Not wanting to skip over the mentioning of school textbooks two or three pages back (I think), I remember the English textbooks we used when I went to school had characters described as living in Hatfield. I also remember one of the volumes had the Lake District as the setting in one chapter as one of the characters and their parents supposedly went on vacation there!

I still remember one line from our Latin textbooks: "Sicilia insula magna est. Sicilia provincia romana est." Hoc!

• Like 5

Some of the cranberry drinks used by my mother for persistent bladder infections following surgery contained very little cranberry and a lot of sweetener. She was recommended some concentrated cranberry product but only antibiotics ever helped. Moose live in cranberry bogs so it would be interesting to see if they appear to have bladder problems.

We do our main shopping at a Bradford based superstore and the only item I had to refuse to drink was their cranberry juice because it was far too sweet. A special call had to be made to another local large supermarket as their own brand was much better. Now it seems those visits are over but I did notice that their petrol is well priced. No I won't be drinking it!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Fathers do have their uses!

The Pymgy Hippo sidled up this morning telling me of the oil leak that persisted on his car.  I had a look at the errant bearing that was causing the trouble.

'And pray, how did you put this bearing in? I enquired.

The answer from an apprentice engineer was not what I was hoping for, so I decided that a properly machined hollow push block (as opposed to a chunk of roughly hacksawed aluminium tube)  would seat the bearing properly. (We won't go into how long it took to find the outside jaws for the lathe chuck.............bl**dy Arafs had struck again!

It seems to have done the trick, as now there is no oil discharging from the crank seal.

It only goes to show how critical the fit of these bits of motor car are these days.

He has now departed for a week's skiing holiday leaving me and the Obergrumpenfuhrer to enjoy both of today's rugby matches, and then for me to both tidy up the garage, and clean 'his' bathroom!

The Welsh victory might see the Penderyn bottle open later, although I drank a whole bottle of Chablis during the match, which ended up by way of a commiseration to the poor French.

The victory would have been even sweeter if it had occurred on St David's Day (which is tomorrow).

Those with a love of outdoor railways will be pleased to hear that the trackbed outside has now been cleared, and is ready for the sub ballast to be poured into the trench once more.

This took a little longer than planned as the leaf blower/sucker has suffered a terminal failure of the collecting bag, so we had to revert to manual handling for a few minutes.

Elsa is now stretched out at the top of the stairs, and she is snoring, so there is an audible warning against tripping over her and plummeting down into the hall.

• Like 14

What a day of rugby.

Commiserations to the Scottish supporters. A good battle but let down by a last minute mistake. Just remember, you can always beat England in 2 weeks time.

Absolutely chuffed to bits with the Wales result which in my opinion should have been a greater margin.

Prediction for tomorrow. Ireland beating England

That result would really open up the championship (and do Wales a favour).

• Like 4

Not wanting to skip over the mentioning of school textbooks two or three pages back (I think), I remember the English textbooks we used when I went to school had characters described as living in Hatfield. I also remember one of the volumes had the Lake District as the setting in one chapter as one of the characters and their parents supposedly went on vacation there!

I still remember one line from our Latin textbooks: "Sicilia insula magna est. Sicilia provincia romana est." Hoc!

Ours started 'Britannia insula est.'

Don't remember much else, except for some bl**dy table.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The school I went to didn't have Latin on the curriculum. We did do woodwork. All I can say about that is that I must have got a good mark for the O-level theory paper to make up for what I produced in the practical exam.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The first things we learnt in Latin were "table" and "love". Next came "the sailor", who also had a thing about tables. It's surprising the Romans ever reproduced really.  Our German textbook was "Heute Abend".  Mrs mole did also and still has a copy. "This evening we listen to the radio"; its origins were pre-war; some of our school copies probably were.

I spent the afternoon assembling a second hand shelving and drawer unit in the shed Mrs mole stores stuff in (mostly shoes). I worked out how it went together, but it appeared not to have enough bolts for all the holes. I set Martyn onto the job but minutes later he reported that the holes in various parts wouldn't line up as the spacing was different by about 5mm. It proved possible to assemble it with adequate rigidity by bolting through the holes that did line up, which used the number of bolts and locating dowels it came with plus a couple of dowels I had kept from something I dismantled, but had to thin down a bit. What should have been a half-hour job took over two. The wood and style suggested it hadn't been cheap originally: If I'd bought it new it would have gone straight back; as it is I neither chose it nor paid for it, so Mr Bodgit had to manage.....

The new pub opening yesterday turned out to be at 6pm, by which time I had to be elsewhere, so I missed it. I'll check it out next week. I had a pint elsewhere.

I came on here while paint was drying; I'm weathering coach underframes and bogies. Back to the Works for a while,

Pete.

Was it Churchill who was credited with pointing out "But I wouldn't say 'O table'"?

Indeed.

In fact we read that volume in the first year and remarked wryly upon it.

After the first year Wallington Grammar decided I was not cut out for the academic life and Latin dropped me.

• Like 6

Indeed.

In fact we read that volume in the first year and remarked wryly upon it.

After the first year Wallington Grammar decided I was not cut out for the academic life and Latin dropped me.

Same as me.  1 year was enough amo, amass etc but now doing genealogy I wish sometimes that I had wanted to learn it.

• Like 6