The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all. 5 degrees and overcast this morning. According to the Southern website delays between LBG and Sydenham till at least 07:30. Probably have a knock on effect on others.

Hopefully POETS day today. Have a good one.

Morning all, it is dark and raining here. Not been able to spend much time on here in the last week so congratulations and commiserations where appropriate. The saga of my garden wall continues. Still awaiting quotes from two firms who promised them; one hasn't even been to see the job yet and we don't think that he will do so. The job will get done eventually. Enjoy the day all.

Morning All,

It is another cloudy morning here, but not too cold.

Dave (TG), sounds like you had a great break - didn't you get a chance to visit the Kent & East Sussex Railway, just up the road from Rye? I spent one of my six months in industry (part of my uni. course) in Rye with Weslakes, the engine development company. At that time we were working on Dan Gurney's Eagle Weslake F1 engine, as well as a highly tuned big Chevy engine for John Surtees' Can-Am car! Loved the Mermaid then, and when we visited recently, it seems not to have changed much since. Sad to admit that I used to read the 'Dr Syn' stories by 'Russell Thorndyke', based on smuggling in the area - probably be very dated now. Will there be any pictures forthcoming?

Small world, Jock (and Dave).  I went to school in Rye.

To be honest, nothing much has changed there - except the time before last when I went back, I found out that both one of the better pubs (The Standard) and my favourite bookshop had closed.  Proof that nothing stays still.  Of course, Weslake still exist, but left Rye quite a few years ago.

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

It is raining here. Robbie was rather damp when he returned from a 6 am patrol of the garden.

I will probably have the go shopping today as I am sure Aditi would like something fishy for dinner.

Matthew rang yesterday, he had got some work back and was fairly pleased with the grades. He has also got a place on the trip at Easter to Dubai that he applied for. MiL of course has cousins there but I suspect he will be in the conference hotel!

Tony

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Announcement at ECR. All trains from here to LBG suspended

First day back to work and signal problems at anew Cross Gate. No mention of them being suspended at a Redhill but decided to catch Thameslink and change at Elephant and Castle. These 387 seats are very hard and uncomfortable (first time that I have actually managed to get a seat in one).

• RMweb Premium

Ready for the trip to moreasons as I caught up with my sleep! Morning debs...see you are lurking in the shadows....

Hope we get some news from Trev soon....

Have a good Friday everyone

Baz

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Seems to be drier at the moment and there is a chance of some hazy sunshine.

Lots on today as we're having a bit of a family & friends "do" here for Abbie's 16th birthday (our house is a little bit bigger than theirs) 

Sounds like another list is being prepared so I may be gone for some time. (or possibly not)

Have good one,

Bob.

• Like 4

Greetings from a wet and dismal Carshalton-sur-Mer. It's so overcast I can scarcely see the lighthouse. I must go there some day.

Nice photos of Rye, Robert. Any idea why it's called the Ypres Tower?

Off to check on the guinea pigs and get some coffee and then get some coffee and after that, not sure. Julie's in the shop today, so perhaps some modelling. If it works, look out on the GBL thread...

And as the fish fingers of Friday slip into the frying pan of the weekend, have a largely unexciting day.

• Like 15

morning all,cold here,though thankfully not as cold as some of our readers ! all soundly asleep as I left,even the rabbits were sleepy....just had a counter banger at work....what ever happened to asking politely.....must be me,or im getting old,or as the missis said .....both !! have a good day all.

Cold and windy, stormy seas and another high tide, no beach to walk on so the dogs had to make do with a couple of circuits of the dunes. Just made it back to the car before the heavens opened. Yesterday was a mix of blue skies and heavy showers accompanied by hail and thunder. I think we are in for more of the same today, so it's probably household chores and a spot of modelling today. No change there then!

Daughter Lucy is getting a visit from the BBC Scotland next week who are doing a piece on her for the Scottish version of Country File so I spent last night working out how to load the Scottish channels on to my Sky box. Turned out to be easier than I thought once I stopped trying to load the HD options.

Make the most of POETS day.

• Like 2

Mornin' all,

Cool, sunny, calm and dry in the Moorlands. More calories to burn again after the fried breakfasts and marvellous ales of the last 3 days, so best energetic foot down on this morning's constitutional. Diversion required to collect the new sanctuary lamp glass parcel ordered before we left (3 inch x 5 inch cylinder of red glass), alas the company sending the glass decided to send it in a cardboard box 2 and a half feet long x 1 foot square so that they could fill the rest with sales catalogues etc....a bit tricky trying to strap such a carton to the push bike with sticky tape for a lengthy cycle ride home!

Feathered ones remembered

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 13

And as the fish fingers of Friday slip into the frying pan of the weekend, have a largely unexciting day.

Snaffling some "fish and chips" here at my favoured happy hour "British pub" here in Tokyo. The trick to living in Tokyo is to know where the "quiet" places are, this is one of them. Only customer in the joint until just now.

Feeling mellow in part because on my perambulations I scored a new boxed set of Tomix track containing two motorised curved points of the type I was after for about a fiver, or 1/10th of RRP. One of the local electronics department stores has a "hobby" floor, which is mainly full of that freaky anime figurine stuff Japan is infamous for, but there's also a model railway aisle which contains what appears to be mainly very outdated stuff which they're selling off bit by bit.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Last night the new furniture for the spare bedroom arrived.

This morning the hippodrome looks like a junk shop.

Cardboard boxes all over the place: bits of polystyrene chips on the floor, and all sorts of wrapping.

This will be carefully sorted through to ensure no suitable modelling materiel goes amiss.

My office will now be restored form stockroom to junk room as all the stuff stacked at the far end (and all the other ends too) is placed in new drawers.

Even better news is the Obergrumpenfuhrer will carry out this task, as I've screwed all the drawer knobs on this morning!

Also screwed was the axle I tried making yesterday afternoon.

I still cannot understand how I managed to  leave so much overhanging out of the end of the chuck, and then tried to machine it down.  as soon as the tool touched it, it was going to get bent, but did I remember or even care?

The moral of the story is do not let a simple mind attempt even a simple task!

Still the next one turned out fine.

There is a slight difference in making 2mm dia axles as opposed to making my usual 6.35mm dia axles!

A fine start to the weekend here, and a trip to the shops to look for a  stair carpet and a suitable bit of wool for the sitting room floor is next on the agenda.

• Like 7

Last night the new furniture for the spare bedroom arrived.

This morning the hippodrome looks like a junk shop.

Cardboard boxes all over the place: bits of polystyrene chips on the floor, and all sorts of wrapping.

This will be carefully sorted through to ensure no suitable modelling materiel goes amiss.

I have banned Mrs. Squid from all cleaning-related activities in my office-######-railwayzone after she attempted to remove a bag full of bits of polystyrene on recycling day.

Also the other day I was tearing up an old spiral-bound notebook when I realised the spiral binding and the plastic covers might be useful for... something.

On the plus side Mrs. Squid did announce the other night that it would be nice to travel across the US from coast to coast by train some day. A sentiment which I found it hard to disagree with.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 18