The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Mini's actually stop pretty well if the brakes are adjusted properly. The earlier ones, which had drums all round could be a bit more interesting, but mine is a late model Cooper, and as such has discs on the front and they servo assisted. However, it doesn't (obviously) have ABS.

It is indeed true that you can be fined for gesticulating or shouting at another driver. The level of the "gesture" depends upon the fine that can be administered. I had a list somewhere, but I am not sure I have it anymore. Some of the fines are surprisingly high - not just for gestures like giving someone "the finger" but also for things like waving your palm in front of your face (which suggests someone is mad, or gaga).

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sorry to hear about your close run, Robert I've had quite a few near misses whilst having driving lessons!

I'm off to college at 1.00pm to enrol for Upper Sixth. I expect it will take me longer to get there and back than I will spend there in the first place!

I can wave goodbye to 1.5 hours of modelling unsure.gif

Still, this morning I have completed the sea including waves which look OK at the moment but I will wait till it dries. Yesterday my sister sorted out the outer wall for the castle which left me to add the searchlight building (far too small because of the very little space there is). I'm debating whether to scribe the walls but I think I'll complete everything else first! A few weeds added around the stream and hangar but I've got plenty more of that to do. The only scenic material I have is hanging basket liner! No scatter or anything. Luckily I think I will manage but there are a few things I need - RAF personnel figures and the cannons for the castle - both of which I should've bought months ago rolleyes.gif.

Still, I'm looking forward to the exhibition and I'll get a blog entry up for Don in half an hour in case he can't get internet access Monday smile.gif

Here we go - I've found it. This is only some of the list, for obvious reasons (I don't want to get banned!)

"Kiss/lick my ..." - 300 Euro

"Stupid Cow" - 300 - 800 Euro

"Has the sun fried your brain?" - 600 Euro

"W****r" - 1000 Euro

"What I would really like to do is to say <insult> to you (as good as an insult!) - 1600 Euro

"Sl*t" - 1900 Euro

"Miserable dungheap" (This one really doesn't translate well!) - 2500 Euro

"Old pig" - 2500 Euro

Using "Du" (The informal form of you) to a Police officer - 600 Euro

Making a circle out of the thumb/ index finger - 675 Euro

Waving the hand in front of the face - 1000 Euro

Sticking your tongue out - 150 Euro

Gesturing, and holding someone up/ causing them to brake - 1150 Euro

Giving the finger - 4000 Euro

Insult coupled with an assault (for example a slap) - 6000 Euro

It could get pretty expensive!

Guest Max Stafford

Robert, that's a hilarious list of offences - I particularly chuckled at the 'addressing the officer in incorrect tense'!

Were a variant of this on the statute books in the UK, there would be no state deficit I can assure you! :lol:

By the way, is the waving of the hand before the face done in a palm inward or palm outward manner? ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mick and Don!

Mick: I think the only reason why I got into exhibiting in the first place was because I know a friend in the village who runs an exhibition. Currently I've been to about 4 or 5 exhibitions with the old version. Hopefully there will be many more for this MkII version! Maybe I'll get into some more widely known ones as well...

Don: Thank you very much!

I'll put it up on the RMweb blog in a moment. Edit: Here it is: Calshot RMweb Blog

Fingers crossed for the exhibition!

• RMweb Premium

By the way, is the waving of the hand before the face done in a palm inward or palm outward manner? ;)

It's palm inward.

Been a pretty nice day actually - sunny and not too warm. Nice transition to autumn, I think, and far as I'm concerned it can well stay that way! :)

On another note, which is equally positive: The appointment I had today was at the State Teacher Training Office and was about crediting my completed master's studies for a follow-up teacher training course. This went well and as far as the office is concerned I'm cleared to begin. I just returned from handing in a copy of the crediting form at the student office so as to try and get a slot for the winter term which will begin in October. I could, of course, have done a teacher training course from the beginning of my original studies, but at that time I had not been sure this would be the right kind of job for me. However, that changed over time, and I believe I would feel good if I were able to pass on knowledge to others, so as to help enable them to do whatever they would like to do with their life - both professionally and privately :) . I think knowledge - and the sensible and wise use of it, of course - is the best foundation for a happy and content life.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Sat here waiting for the ambulance to arrive to convey me to the trauma clinic - they said it could by anytime from 08.15 onwards, so this is just a brief hello, and I'll check in again when I get back - whenever that might be!

Stewart

Well, ambulance arrived as advised, and actually got me to the hospital for the ORIGINAL appointment time of 09.00 - even though I was told that this was not possible, and so they changed my appointment. Guess what - by the time my "new" appointment time had arrived, they were running late, and the wait for x-ray was about 50 minutes. Registrar was happy with my progress, but consultant was a bit worried about the position of one of the screws, and has countermanded the original advice that I could start to out weight on the leg - he wants to give it "a bit longer" - end result is that I'll not be back on my feet for another couple of weeks. After all the delays at the hospital, I only got home about two by the time the ambulance came back for me, and I was so cream crackered that I decided to ahve a couple of hours shut eye before switching the computer on.

Now then, Don's still with us - good news.

Jam - you'll be fine, so stop worrying.

Robert, I assume that your mini is a new mini and they do have brakes, the originals had a feeble retardation device which could barely be described as a brake, so be grateful that the new current offerings do actually stop when you want them to.

Dominik - nice sentiments, and good luck with it.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Mick, I can imagine. I would also think it depends on where a school is located and what kinds of environments students grow up in. I applied for a secondary school course, meaning I would be working in the kind of curriculum where students are prepared for what would be the A-levels in the UK, called Abitur over here.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear...

...and everything was going so well.

Basically I've discovered the backscene is too low and not long enough, there probably won't be enough paint for a second coat on the fascia/pelmet and I'm generally not very happy at the moment... sad.gif

Ouch... Good luck anyway - hope it goes OK for you - keep us posted.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Stewart.

Think I'm just panicking now rolleyes.gif

Had just about enough paint but there is still some bits showing through.

Just going to respray parts of the layout as there is a bit too much grey.

Other than that I am relatively pleased with how it is going!smile.gif

You're not old enough to remember, but Don't Panick Mr Mainwairing (ask your parents)

You'll be fine, we all get like that occasionally - whatever, an exhibition, dog show, amateur dramatics - on the night before the show.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, very true!

Now I've calmed down a bit I can see that it should be absolutely fine.

Funny how a series of slightly bad events can make you panic!

My only gripe now is the backscene but I might just paint the bare bits of wood around it white to blend it in a bit more.

Once the castle is done I think I'll feel much happier!

Cheers Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Mick, I can imagine. I would also think it depends on where a school is located and what kinds of environments students grow up in. I applied for a secondary school course, meaning I would be working in the kind of curriculum where students are prepared for what would be the A-levels in the UK, called Abitur over here.

Hope it all goes well. I worked in education for 25 years in a variety of posts. Final job was mainly teaching 16-18 year olds IT which was fun. Those students were mainly those who were not quite A level standard but were nice!

• RMweb Premium

I don't think you need to worry about anything, Jam :) . Going by the photos in your blog, I don't think anyone will mind a few incomplete bits - I would think any really serious modeller will be aware of how you really cannot make any exact calculations as to how much time any step will take.

• Like 1

Will be bright and sunny but windier today than when Hurricane Earl pass through the area yesterday - we didn't get one drop of rain out of it - but Long Island bore the brunt. It was a relatively weak system though. Expected to strengthen again once clear of Canadian Maritimes.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Here we go - I've found it. This is only some of the list, for obvious reasons (I don't want to get banned!)

(...)

There's one interesting thing I just remembered - correctly, I hope. Far as I know, there have been rulings where one person had insulted another, and the insulted person then replied in kind - such as countering "w****r" with "w****r on you" - in which case it was found the two insults had, in a sense, compensated each other and thus were not punishable. However, this view were applicable only as long as the person which was insulted first did not go any further and add any other insult to their reply.

Also, some years ago there had been a case where somebody who had been invited to a TV chat show tried to prevent the show from being aired as he claimed he had been insulted by the other participants. However, the court refused his claim, pointing out that he had come off as being insulting himself and had, basically, invited equally harsh replies.

Morning All,

I am in a pretty good mood this morning - probably has a lot to do with the fact that the weather is nice, the sun is out and I had a lay in of monumental proportions this morning. Last night was "Night of the Churches" in Wiesbaden - it is an event where many of Wiesbaden's churches open their doors to visitors and put on a programme of events. There is a free bus shuttle laid on by the city to convey people to the various churches. I am on the Church Council of St. Augustines of Canterbury, Wiesbaden - and as such was there to welcome people to our Anglican corner of the city. It made for a rather late night though!

Lots to reply to this morning...

On another note, which is equally positive: The appointment I had today was at the State Teacher Training Office

That's great news Dominik - Germany, and especially Hessen needs good teachers.

Well, ambulance arrived as advised, and actually got me to the hospital for the ORIGINAL appointment time of 09.00 - even though I was told that this was not possible, and so they changed my appointment. Guess what - by the time my "new" appointment time had arrived, they were running late,

Typical! The last Doctors appointment I had was at 08:00 (first of the day) - I booked it months in advance so I could go to work afterwards. I saw the nurse for the "pre-appointment" bang on 08:00 and then had to wait until nearly 10:00 before the Doctor rolled in. Then to add insult to injury he didn't even apologise. That he was running late is one thing, and I wasn't out for groveling because I know Doctors are busy - but not even to say "Sorry, to keep you waiting for so long" is in my book nothing short of rude :angry:

Robert, I assume that your mini is a new mini and they do have brakes, the originals had a feeble retardation device which could barely be described as a brake, so be grateful that the new current offerings do actually stop when you want them to.

Nope - it is one of the old ones. Well, it is actually one of the new, old ones. Therefore, it does have some reasonably good, servo assisted, disc brakes on the front. Nothing like a "modern" car though - driving a Mini is an experience that requires defensive driving all the time. People make no allowances for the fact you do take longer to stop than more modern cars, and that just because you are small and low doesn't mean you are driving at walking speed.

Mini2.jpg

Fingers crossed Jam! Let us know how it went...

Have a good day everyone!