The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Hard frost first thing, but at least I got to see my comet 'Lovejoy' last night! Needed the telescope though and it isn't really that impressive other than the fact that it is the only green one I've seen (Jeff, Physicsman, gave me an erudite explanation of the probable cause of the colour in the 'Lounge'). Still fascinates me as it won't be back for another eight thousands years - wonder what mankind will have done to the planet by then?

Didn't have a very good nights sleep as I can't seem to shake this bug completely, and now Joanna is complaining of a sore throat - didn't stop her outlining how busy 'we' are going to be today!

The local NHS trust is desperately trying to catch up, I have to take Joanna to Essex County Hospital in Colchester for an 11am appointment tomorrow - at least the traffic shouldn't be so bad! Would anyone like to give odds on whether shopping gets included in the trip or not? I'm going to trawl through some of the posts I missed in the week so don't be surprised by some ratings!

Hope you enjoy whatever you're doing this weekend, but safely,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Edited because silly old f*rt pressed post before he was finished typing!!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 3

Morning all. Late on parade today as I decided to stay in bed a bit longer than planned.

Was very icy last night but is now overcast and chilly. A relaxing day is on the cards with a couple of minor household chores.

• Like 1

I think the biggest help computer records are to GPs is in the handwriting department. The oldest GP I can remember from childhood wrote with a fountain pen and didn't take it off the card whilst he was writing, ending up with one very long word. Fascinating to watch at the time, but how anyone else deciphered his notes, including prescriptions, is beyond me.  

There is a saying hereabouts to the effect that if anyone is seen to have "bad" handwriting, "I see your mother wanted you to become a doctor!".

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

...I got to see my comet 'Lovejoy' last night! Needed the telescope though .... Still fascinates me as it won't be back for another eight thousands years - wonder what mankind will have done to the planet by then?

Probably watching repeats of "Last of the Summer Wine" and "Keeping up Appearances", on the Dave channel.  :jester:

Greetings.

Cold, frosty, with dawn's roseate fingers still caressing the sky...

Julie has cancelled going to the market for the day (sensible) but it's going to be too chilly to go down the shed for a bit - I was planning to wax an old clock. May have to do it in the kitchen.

Have a distinguished day, all.

All I did was mis-read one word by one letter.

Ed

Good afternoon all, 

While I was checking on one of my clients sites this morning spent a short while watching an a bird of prey fishing for his lunch,   but of course he was a bit camera shy so kept his back to me....

Now a supermarket question for you. Is it only me or do others get the same problem - needed to stock the freezer up so there is enough  food for me for the remainder of the month,  as normal on a Saturday morning the store is  busy and half the tills are unmanned.  The woman at the front of my queue firstly cant find her card,  then when she does it gets rejected........so shouting match ensues --- off she goes leaving a hand full of children to guard the unpaid for shopping, the cashier calls the manager to  allow the next couple of people through, back come woman number one.....with a hand full of cash and try's  to pay while another customers goods are being scanned through....grrrrrr!  

Rant over  nearly food time,  be good,

Trev.

post-4282-0-93858700-1421509708.jpg

post-4282-0-97125600-1421509896.jpg

The younger generation and their thoughts...

NUDITY
I was driving with my three young children one warm summer evening when a woman in the convertible ahead of us stood up and waved. She was stark naked! As I was reeling from the shock, I heard my 5-year-old shout from the back seat, 'Mom, that lady isn't wearing a seat belt!'

OPINIONS
On the first day of school, a first-grader handed his teacher a note from his mother. It read, 'The opinions expressed by this child are not necessarily those of his parents ..'

KETCHUP

A woman was trying hard to get the ketchup out of the jar.. During her struggle the phone rang so she asked her 4-year-old daughter to answer the phone.. 'Mommy can't come to the phone to talk to you right now, she's hitting the bottle.'

MORE NUDITY
A little boy got lost at the YMCA and found himself in the women's locker room. When he was spotted, the room burst into shrieks, with ladies grabbing towels and running for cover. The little boy watched in amazement and then asked, 'What's the matter, haven't you ever seen a little boy before?'

POLICE # 1
While taking a routine vandalism report at an elementary school, I was interrupted by a little girl about 6 years old. Looking up and down at my uniform, she asked, 'Are you a cop?' 'Yes,' I answered and continued writing the report. My mother said if I ever needed help I should ask the police. Is that right?' 'Yes, that's right,' I told her. 'Well, then,' she said as she extended her foot toward me, 'would you please tie my shoe?'

POLICE #2
It was the end of the day when I parked my police van in front of the station. As I gathered my equipment, my K-9 partner, Jake, was barking, and I saw a little boy staring in at me. 'Is that a dog you got back there?' he asked.
'It sure is,' I replied.
Puzzled, the boy looked at me and then towards the back of the van. Finally he said, 'What'd he do?'

ELDERLY 
While working for an organization that delivers lunches to elderly shut-ins, I used to take my 4-year-old daughter on my afternoon rounds. She was unfailingly intrigued by the various appliances of old age, particularly the canes, walkers and wheelchairs. One day I found her staring at a pair of false teeth soaking in a glass. As I braced myself for the inevitable barrage of questions, she merely turned and whispered, 'The tooth fairy will never believe this!'

DRESS-UP
A little girl was watching her parents dress for a party. When she saw her dad donning his tuxedo, she warned, 'Daddy, you shouldn't wear that suit.'
'And why not, darling?'
'You know that it always gives you a headache the next morning.'

DEATH
While walking along the sidewalk in front of his church, our minister heard the intoning of a prayer that nearly made his collar wilt. Apparently, his 5-year-old son and his playmates had found a dead robin. Feeling that proper burial should be performed, they had secured a small box and cotton batting, then dug a hole and made ready for the disposal of the deceased. The minister's son was chosen to say the appropriate prayers and with sonorous dignity intoned his version of what he thought his father always said: 'Glory be unto the Father, and unto the Son, and into the hole he goes.' (I want this line used at my funeral!)

SCHOOL
A little girl had just finished her first week of school. 'I'm just wasting my time,' she said to her mother. 'I can't read, I can't write, and they won't let me talk!'

BIBLE
A little boy opened the big family Bible. He was fascinated as he fingered through the old pages. Suddenly, something fell out of the Bible. He picked up the object and looked at it. What he saw was an old leaf that had been pressed in between the pages. 'Mama, look what I found,' the boy called out.
'What have you got there, dear?'
With astonishment in the young boy's voice, he answered, 'I think it's Adam's underwear!'

• Like 5

Trip to B&Q duly completed and paint purchased :) .  That was the relatively easy bit!  It now appears that I am supposed to actually apply it onto some walls :O.  Not just that, but ceilings as well!  This does not promise to be much fun.  Firstly I hate painting ceilings, next issue is that I have to spend a lot of time trying to sort out the minor plaster cracks in the ceiling before painting it - which I plan to do with some Polycell paint that is supposed to cover cracks and prevent them re-appearing.  Next problem is that when the first wall is half painted, SWMBO will decide that she doesn't like the colour after all.  This always happens - and she was not amused when I suggested as much while trying to agree on colours while in B&Q!  The net result is that we always continue to paint the walls with that colour, which she later decides that she does like after all!

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Seems remarkably quiet on here today so not very long to catch up.  Anyway today it was the Astolat MRC show at Guildford - a new one for us so off we sett in the crisp white morning accompanied by a few snow flurries; trains ran on time; the school where the show was held was a simple walk (not too far) up the hill from Guildford station and we were there.  Being a bit off our beaten show patch there were some new to us layouts, and some not so new and quite good trade representation - amongst my (few) acquisitions there is a pair of OO SF rollagauges from C&L (which Gordon will no doubt understand far better than I - time for this older dog to learn some new tricks I think).  Nice cakes and a decent cuppa plus trains on time on the way back as well - but being thoroughly knackered by the time i walked up the hill I was more interested in a snooze and dinner before venturing anywhere near the 'puter, I suspect the returned (I'm not sure if it's ever been away actually?) cold and sniffles is not helping so i won't be having a  late night tonight.

On the tale of woe front the next door neighbours (the fit ones we shopped for back along) had a spot of trouble last night.  Herself came knocking on the door and asking if we still had a spare key for theur front door, she didn't arf look worried.  Anyway we haven't - so she looked even more worried - seems she went out and somehow the Yale lock got locked and neither of them had a key for it as she'd been collecting them together and getting spares made (including a set for us - which she didn't deliver on Thursday or at any time since.  Best I could suggest was a credit card but it seems that didn't work as from about 22.30 there was some very tough sounding drilling going on next door as the locksmith (I hope) was obviously drilling out the Yale lock to get them in;  I'm thinking of suggesting that they get a couple of deadlocks instead of one deadlock and a Yale but I'm not sure how soon it would be politic to raise the subject with her husband :O

So good night all and sleep tight.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all,

Seems remarkably quiet on here today so not very long to catch up.  .....................................

That's good. We were at the Model Engineering Show at Alexandra Palace on Friday and today I've been sorting the photos - and doing a bit of modelling so I've got a bit of catching up to do later.

For those who don't know "Ally Pally" some identification pics.

Up to the show entrance.

post-14049-0-55574300-1421537629.jpg

The snooker Masters is also there.  We heard the sound of balls knocking on a table in the foyer on our way out.

Then through Palm Court.

post-14049-0-19524000-1421537963.jpg

A glance up at the great window in the exhibition hall.

post-14049-0-49102100-1421537849.jpg

Stopped in our tracks by the organ at the opposite end.

post-14049-0-63605100-1421537863.jpg

View over London from half way up a stairway.

post-14049-0-08644700-1421537946.jpg

If you've not guessed yet, the stairs lead up to the Ladies.

Gents on the opposite side of the hall.

View over London from the shuttle bus as we left.

post-14049-0-79627100-1421537976.jpg

Further right are views to the Shard but I ended up with a lamp post right in the middle of the shot.

I'll sort some more pics out tomorrow.

• Like 18

Morning all,

Quiet on here indeed tonight and I shan't write much as I've got the early start to get Joanna to hospital later this morning - meant that the nightcap had to be dealt with much earlier than normal!

Hope your Sunday goes according to plan,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night anyone else who's looking in!

• Like 3

Good Morning all,  

Great pics of Ally Pally,  I've exhibited there a few times but never had chance to look around.

Now day of "home- work" starts...to get ready for three pre-contract start up meetings tomorrow.....and deal with a prima dona of a service engineer, and also seem to be getting dragged into some operational breakdowns....

Still teas poured, theres bacon in the fridge (and eggs) for brunch.

Make the best of your day and stay safe! (I've just seen UK weather!)

Trev.

• RMweb Premium

Morning!

Slept wellish and now for breakfast and a day in Rotherham.

That Fuji looks ideal for sledging!

Hope anyone travelling today has a safe journey.

For everyone else..stay calm and have a great day!

Baz

• Like 11

Morning! I was thinking skiing/snowboarding when I saw the pic of Mount Fuji. Is there a ski tow? :-)

Got up early yesterday with the aim of doing the Parkrun 5K but when I got there the road (and paths) were a solid sheet of ice so I chickened out. Better that than a broken ankle or worse.

Ended up doing chores in the flat instead. It needs 10 years' worth of spring clearouts.

I was definitely an early riser today, up at 6 to drive over to Glasgow, pick Jamie up at 8 and take her for her 8.30 swimming lesson. Frustratingly the main pool doesn't open till 9 so I have to kick my heels while she's swimming when I could have half an hour of doing some lengths!

Meant to say, there'd been a light covering overnight in Edinburgh, and Glasgow must have had an inch or two of snow on Friday night.

Edited by sixoh8sixoh
  • Like 11