The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good evening/morning all. Ah, yes, driving mistakes. The learner received a salutary lesson, that being that we all (especially me) make mistakes every time we get behind the wheel. It is part of our duty to allow for other people's mistakes, and accidents usually occur when two mistakes coincide.

Leak soup? That would be the well-known basket meal.

Ed

• Like 2

Good morning one and all,  I hope every one in UK has survived the nights storms without too much damage......(in the past I've also been out repairing / supporting / removing  fence panels in the middle of the night......

Still tomorrows POETS day,  and we are already half way through the month!  

Stay safe, 

Trev.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Dom, hope it turns out to be an isolated incident.

Jock, I had a number of them several years ago. Nasty indeed, so I agree to your statement fully.

Morning all. Not a lot I can say ATM really.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Very wet & windy night and no let up at the moment. Mild 9oC at present and some sunny spells are forecast for this morning with more strong winds due this afternoon.

I think all fences are still standing but will have to wait until daylight to be sure.

After Chris suggesting to me yesterday that I bake a cake this morning she said "It was very nice but I don't think I'll have any more. We are eating far too much of that sort of thing!" As she's been on a diet for months and never normally eats cake you can guess who she's referring to.  :banghead: 

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

Morning all. Definitely wet and windy outside and no fence panels missing (yet). Apart from the ongoing issues with LBG and some reported disruption around Oxted it looks like the trains are going to be OK.

Have a good safe day everyone, at least tomorrow is POETS

• Like 9

Morning all,

It is another mild morning here in this part of the world.  They said temperatures were down to -4°C in parts of Hessen, but no sign of that here.  We have +8°C!

Not a lot else to report, so time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I was awake at 6 so made tea. A windy night, sure, but less so than for some of you, evidently. Meteo is only giving Sarthe a yellow warning, while Finistere and Morbihan (SW Bretagne) have orange, w windspeeds up to 120 kph. All decreasing now, as daylight approaches. Hope you and yours are ok this morning, fence panels et al.

Anent the wall cupboard. It is in a corner, above a work-surface, so getting more than one human on-site is difficult. Sherry's idea of books is sound, as one can increment the stack book by book, having once got the cupboard on the top. And of course the cupboard, even without doors or shelf, now weighs more as a result of the piece of particle board I've added to enable me to screw the whole thing to the wall. We have two chances - it will or it won't!

Alison here after 9, so shower and breakfast beckon.

EDIT The Royal Wee goes down the tubes at Buck House, I believe....

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,,
Now grandadbob once you cut the cake all of the calories jump out!(same applies to pies) so your other half can eat a slice of cake no trouble!
Her Indoors made a mug of tea for me as she is and off to work.her good tea!

Ian, a colleague used a similar process at Didcot to remove ogies from a coach..he used sleepers and a jack..jack coach end up...stick sleeper under move the jack..jack end up..etc
And it worked! So perhaps a mechanical aid plus books may get the job done?

Have a great Thursday and I hope good news abounds for everyone (especially those I'll or with illness in the family).
az

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Still tomorrows POETS day,  and we are already half way through the month!  

Trev.

Trev,

According to a colleague, Thursday is the new Friday. Possibly making a nonsense of the Julian calendar, but... 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Definitely wet and windy outside and no fence panels missing (yet). Apart from the ongoing issues with LBG and some reported disruption around Oxted it looks like the trains are going to be OK.

Have a good safe day everyone, at least tomorrow is POETS

There is a tree down around Ashurst so no services between Oxted and Uckfield. A double whammy for Edenbridge commuters as there is a signal failure at Nutfield so major problems on their alternative route with the 06.43 from Tonbridge to LBG not yet made it to Redhill by 07.15 and will be terminated there if it does make it.

This is making the platforms rather congested at Redhill.

More pushing and barging to get on the train so despite being next to the door when the train stopped I was no where near the first one on.

We were kept awake till the early hours this morning due to the wind whistling around the walls and roof. Luckily we didn't lose any roof tiles this time but it did mean that I overslept past 6am so no modelling this morning.

Next door had put their bibs out last night right next to one of our cars do a polite word with them last night they moved them back to the house and as we left we put them back out on the pavement for them.

The wind has dropped a lot In Strength now.

Edited by roundhouse

Time of year for illnesses of varying degrees of severity and a time of sad outcomes too. Yesterday, I wrote two letters of condolence - both to colleagues of my ex husband whose spouses had died from cancer. One of the deceased, a lady, who died three days before Christmas, was the same age as me, the other a much older gentleman.

I think there is a line in a hymn somewhere which says: "Live each day as if your last" .... I've just Googled it and found it's a direct quote from an Old Testament prophet's writings: Jeremiah! We might paraphrase that to say: Seize the day!  (or its Latin equivalent: Carpe diem!) as is regularly said on here. 

So, make the most of this and every day, folks!

• Like 10

.....Next door had put their bibs out last night right next to one of our cars do a polite word with them last night they moved them back to the house and as we left we put them back out on the pavement for them......

They must be messy eaters .....!

I have to sympathise with anyone who's having their travel plans disrupted. For once my train was on time but it was definitely a case of travelling cattle class. I didn't even have to hold on it was that crammed

I'm getting this morning's post in while we still have power and a phone connection, then I'll see what everyone else is up to! It is very, very windy here at the moment. The storm seems to be running about 4 or 5 hours late and is supposed to peak in the next 2 hours. It's too windy to risk operating the garage door so we can't get the car out for Steph to go to work. I hadn't thought about that when I put the car away. Or maybe I had subconsciously as I don't really want her driving in these conditions. The dogs have been out in the garden already this morning but I am definitely going to wait for it to get light before I even think about venturing out for their morning walk.

I hope you all see out the storm safely, off to check ER's now.

I'm getting this morning's post in while we still have power and a phone connection, then I'll see what everyone else is up to! It is very, very windy here at the moment. The storm seems to be running about 4 or 5 hours late and is supposed to peak in the next 2 hours. It's too windy to risk operating the garage door so we can't get the car out for Steph to go to work. I hadn't thought about that when I put the car away. Or maybe I had subconsciously as I don't really want her driving in these conditions. The dogs have been out in the garden already this morning but I am definitely going to wait for it to get light before I even think about venturing out for their morning walk.

I hope you all see out the storm safely, off to check ER's now.

I was about to say: "Gosh! You have mail delivered before 0800 ?" then realised what you meant! D'oh!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having just done an external property inspection I'm pleased to report no damage whatsoever (fingers crossed for next time) and just one (lightweight) garden bench blown over. Next door one side hasn't been so lucky because there is about 15 feet of ("professionally" erected) fencing laying down for the 3rd time in 2 years. I think the guys who did it were all named Bill. (Wild, Buffalo and the Kid) Not being one to gloat (much) but my amateur effort between the two of us is still standing after 16 years. (although I did have to replace some rotten panels about 3/4 years ago.

• Like 11

Mornin' all,

By the light of the silvery crescent moon and just about frost free was the setting for this mornings constitutional. Unremarkable head down calorie burn as far as the water, where the bright but clear, pale blue sky was faithfully reflected in the choppy surface of the reservoir.....blown into wavelets by the sharp, cold wind.

Yesterdays 'caster sugar' snow coating in bright sunny conditions didn't last long but was the ideal temptation for a stroll along the Caldon canal towards Denford for coffee and a chat with friends fortunate enough to live in such a lovely spot. This eased the discomfort of then calling to have four new tyres on the car so soon after the bills of Christmas.

Feathered ones remembered

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 4

All dressed up and nowhere to go.  It's stopped raining, but the course is closed as it would appear we need flippers and a facemask to play.

Thankfully my second hobby will come to the rescue.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

All dressed up and nowhere to go.  It's stopped raining, but the course is closed as it would appear we need flippers and a facemask to play.

Thankfully my second hobby will come to the rescue.

Scuba diving?

• RMweb Gold

Regarding fencing I would always recommend the use of concrete posts it may cost more but well worth it. I had to employ professionals to put in a new fence along the dividing line for the extra garden we bought. That looks fine as does the stuff we have put up.

There is a lot of water coming down the stream at the top of the garden. I have grills either side to stop the dogs getting through but need checking daily with the amount of debris washed down. Leaving us it goes into our neighbours garden then under the road through the gardens backing on to the allotments then goes underground the are a few inspection covers where you can hear it rushing beneath  it joins with the large Bratton Water somewhere under Minehead Town Centre before going under the old Hospital on the way to the Sea. How much nicer if they had made a feature of it as Dawlish did with theirs.

One of the new Pensioner bonds applied for. I think I just managed it before the site crashed! It responded with an application number but when I clicked the box for an explanation of 'What happens next' it came back service temporary unavailable.

Don

• Like 1