The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

It is another somewhat chilly morning - but it feels colder than it actually is.

I must admit that I am starting to get somewhat worried about the situation that the world seems to be negotiating itself into.  What people should be worried about is fundamentalism and crime, not religion.  There is enough of it coming from all sides - athough the situation is clearly much more complicated than the image that the media likes to portray - coloured of course by their own particular spin.  Sadly, the days of impartial and unbiased media are gone (if they were ever there).

However, we are in danger of straying into politics here!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Just received this from my sister and as quite a few of us are 60 plus I thought I'd pass it on.

THIS IS NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS

Pass to all 60 yrs. and

older

& anyone else who could benefit.

Cardiovascular Exercise

The older we get the more important it is to incorporate exercise into our daily routine.  This is necessary to maintain cardiovascular health and maintain muscle mass.

If you’re over 50, you might want to take it easy at first, then do more repetitions as you become more proficient and build stamina.  Warning:  It may be too strenuous for some.

Always consult your doctor before starting any exercise program!

Scroll Down

NOW SCROLL UP

That’s enough for the first day. 

Great job.

Have a glass of wine.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Just received this from my sister and as quite a few of us are 60 plus I thought I'd pass it on.

THIS IS NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS

Pass to all 60 yrs. and older & anyone else who could benefit.

Cardiovascular Exercise

The older we get the more important it is to incorporate exercise into our daily routine.  This is necessary to maintain cardiovascular health and maintain muscle mass.

If you’re over 50, you might want to take it easy at first, then do more repetitions as you become more proficient and build stamina.  Warning:  It may be too strenuous for some.

Always consult your doctor before starting any exercise program!

Scroll Down

NOW SCROLL UP

That’s enough for the first day. 

Great job.

Have a glass of wine.

That's me kna##ered for the rest of the day! Or does it mean I shall be doing some AWESOME weathering? :-)

Have a great Tuesday.... Cricket beckons for me tonight...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 13

According to the news 90% of London buses are not running due to industrial action.

Morning all...

There was a traffic jam coming down the stairs this morning with a dog that decided to stop halfway.  Glad to say it didn't delay me to much and managed to get to the breakfast table on time...

Just about to start my exercises.  Scroll up, scroll down..

• RMweb Gold

No buses for us down to the station this morning so we got some exercise walking and luckily missed the heavier rain.
For the second day running only two of the ticket machines working out of four but today only one ticket eindow open do the queues are now back to the barrier line affecting access to them. I have been told that the machine on the platform 3 side access is also out of order. Given up telling Southern about this as they just say that their records show them all working. Should have taken a photo to prove otherwise. Trains on time out of Redhill but ours has crawled into East Croydon so already seven minutes late before the inevitable delay into London Bridge.

However it does appear that they have made some improvements over last week at London Bridge, at least at the time that we travelled although our train was about six minutes late leaving last night and lost more time enroute home.

I had warned people commuting from Waterloo East to London Bridge that the Jubilee line would be an issue once the Charing Cross services ceased calling at London Bridge but they didn't believe me. They do now and with no buses today I don't envy their journey today.

With a stinking cold I am glad that I have a seat as realy don't feel good despite not having jet lag.

Edited by roundhouse

I once knew (vaguely) someone called Justin Stead. Same question applies.

Friends of mine named their son Jolian (King). I said they must be joking!

The wind has dropped a little but so has the temperature, just hovering above freezing. Hopefully, I will be able to walk the dogs between showers.

Watched the first two episodes of the latest series of Spiral last night (recorded on Sat as we had friends round for supper). We didn't see any of the earlier series but were impressed by what we saw. Who knows, it might even improve my French! I have always been cr*p at languages although my French did improve when working with a French contractor as did my German when I was working two days a week in that country. My German has gone but I do try to keep my French together for our annual pilgrimages to France. Be very worried Ian, we will be in the Sarthe later this year!

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 10

Morning all. Wet and miserable today. Weather bad, too.

Not been on for a few days due to - well, I don't know really. Distracted, I suppose. So commiserations and whoops of joy where appropriate, and condolences to Richard. That's a hard thing.

Health improved, but still bunged and coughing. Off out this afternoon to Past on Glass. I've done a bit of modelling, just awaiting some orders for the next steps.

Have groovy time, cats.

Been clear skies here until now.

Snow is forecast.

Time to move to Winter quarters but unfortunately we haven't bought any yet.

I really fancy some warm sun.

Some names are appropriate.

The shadow chancellor for instance.

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 3

Morning all, a grey cover of cloud and bits of rain in the air but a pale dirty blue on the horizon to the west at Borough market Junction.

Train today was busier than yesterday's but got in on time, had to stand all the way.

Yesterday's journey home was more of a pain. They've reduced the number of entrances in to the station, sensible but unannounced, and difficult to see how anyone with difficulty walking (or with  a pushchair) is going to get in as all the escalators were stopped. Platforms 1 and 2 were very busy and the trains were late, and kept swapping platforms. Managed to squeeze on and the train that was 5 or 6 minutes late at LBG lost another 10-12 on its (longer) journey via Lewisham. Mood not helped by people who think that the English for "please can you move down the train?" is to bang on the windows. At least try asking first.

Bus strike today - the Mrs is giving the elder Lurker a lift to and from school, but she is kind of in the area as she takes the younger anyway, but will be leaving earlier - and also giving the lad up the road a lift.

Thought iD's point was well made and spot on.

I think I have recalled on here before that I shared a house at university with someone saddled with the name Roger Mee. Funnily he's since changed it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Was persistently raining earlier this morning but now stopped. On the subject of 'wrong' names, most of my career was spent in a payroll department and some of the name combinations raised a smile but you couldn't feel anything but sorry for a Mr. Richard Head.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A colleague who was a sergeant in the Royal Engineers in WW2 told me that he had a fellow sergeant named John Thomas Large. On pay parade the SM had to call out each soldiers full name surname first. Luckily for him his surname wasn't Small!

• RMweb Premium

According to the news 90% of London buses are not running due to industrial action.

Morning all...

There was a traffic jam coming down the stairs this morning with a dog that decided to stop halfway.  Glad to say it didn't delay me to much and managed to get to the breakfast table on time...

Just about to start my exercises.  Scroll up, scroll down..

All I've managed to do is scroll down but only on the ERs page so far... :danced:

oooo....and a few presses on the buttons. :mosking:

Time I had a rest.  :lazy:

Don't over do it, folks.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Grey, blowy but not horribly so, mild. Could be a great deal worse in mid-Jan.

Disappointed to find the Tony Wright thread has turned nasty, with people complaining about discussions on photography. It's what the man does, among several other talents that make his stuff very readable!

The sugar beet wasn't in stock. That didn't stop him searching the warehouse, finally giving in and asking his PC. I'll be able to collect tomorrow. No, he wouldn't take the money.

30 years ago I ran a very small team of infrastructure planners, doing scheme development for Southern Region. My deputy was a Mr Muddle. He was good news, belying his name entirely - it was my desk that was covered in crap! Mind you, as the Regional Parcels Manager pointed out, I had it easy, because he employed a Bastard and a Whalley!

Sorry to hear the buses are in sympathy with London Bridge works. ISTR the LT bus strike in the mid-50s saw off custom that never returned. Such clever people.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

Cold and grey in this part of West Yorkshire this morning with the possibility of snow showers later this afternoon.

There has been the occasional posting in ERs over the years about getting rid of invasive plant species in the garden.  I came across this this morning on the BBCs website.  It seems the green solution is to engage a herd of goats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30583512

Have fun one and all.

• Like 2

Morning all,

Well said Flávio - with you 100%!

Lurker, my old service manager called his cat Roger and I'm certain that it was only so he could say, at the end of each day, 'I'm off home now to Roger the cat!'

Gordon, thank you so much for posting those images, a timely reminder of what a gentleman Don was, and what a loss to our virtual community. You and other the other members involved should be justifiably proud of the part you played in the Thabo event ; before my time on here, but reading back through the locked thread a while ago, I understand it was great support for Don in his quest!

Running out of steam now with all this scrolling so I'll try to look in later!

Off to prepare the garage to receive some more coving so every room in the house has it, then just a few springtime projects before Joanna wants to put it on the market this summer!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1