The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather murky here.

We had a nice lunch yesterday at MiL's. MiL then managed to annoy both her daughters.

I will be going to Gatwick tonight to meet Matthew. I don't plan to do much else though I think Aditi would like me to clean her car. Somewhere under all the grime there should be white paintwork.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, woken earlier still by the the demented trio and even less amused than yesterday..... A trip down to Winchester today so number one son can return to uni. At the moment it is dark and cold out there, the car is white over with frost. Have a good Sunday all and if like me it is back to work tomorrow good luck.

Ugh.

Completely out of action yesterday due to a resurgence of the flu. In the grip of the grippe.

Not great today, headache and Head Office of Mucus Unlimited.

Weather none too impressive, either.

I know it's nothing compared to the challenges some of you are facing, though!

Best of luck

Number three son flew to Saskatoon today to start a new job. The temperature there (overnight) is currently -38C, -48C with the windchill. I'm half-expecting him back here tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Hope everyone who is poorly gets better as soon as possible.

I am cataloguing a load of wagons at the moment...keeps me out of trouble.

Tonight is indoor cricket finals night...it can get a bit noisy so my colleagues and I always remind the players that nicks off the bat may not be heard!..

Frosty here at the moment..time for breakfast!

Baz

• Like 8

Good morning all, 

Not a lot to report from here - temperatures  back heading for the mid 30's © 

Still have got stuff to get ready for work tomorrow .

I did start sorting some of my Californian train photos last evening- probably take me a couple more days till there ready to post. 

Lets hope those suffering with various lurgies recover, lets try to make the best of our day, 

Trev. 

• Like 9

Good Morning All,

Firstly A Happy New Year to all on ER and I hope that Debs will be hale and hearty soon...

A'noon.

I was going to say it's been a while since Debs and iD were on, but I have a rating from Debs this morning.  I take it iD is at his 'holiday hovel' as he terms it?

Alas, no. I was GIVEN THINGS TO DO by Mrs iD and I was working down the list most industriously. The "upside" is that my workshop is now almost totally clear and tidy (I've been organising, cataloguing and recycling old stuff) and I can now actually get around to doing some modelling. :imsohappy:

I think he's here.This is a hovel ID style:

Honka-Scandinavian-Timber-Custom-Homes.j

Alas, no. My hovel is a lot more modest....

Although I haven't posted for a bit I have managed to read through ER and have noted various posts to comment on.

Stereos! I must confess I did indulge myself several years ago (the benefits of being a DINKY I suppose). I purchased a Cambridge Audio Amp, a Nakamichi Cassette Deck and a Panasonic CD Player. I didn't have to purchase any speakers as I still had (and have today) the Wharfedale Denton Speakers (ca. 1967 and given to me by my Uncle in 1983) which are superb for classical music - at least to my ears. Alas, my old system is mothballed as the installation of the home cinema (formerly my study) made it redundant and Mrs iD did not want it in the living room. However, I don't have the will to bin them and - nowadays - no-one wants to buy old HiFi stuff, no matter how good it is. :cry:

Weather: Just back from the holiday hovel we were inundated by snow (much to Schotty's delight), which has now thawed and has been pretty much washed away by the rain that bucketed down last night. The forecast remains predicatbly grey and dismal.

Remembrance: I had relatives on both sides of the line in WWII and having heard their tales, I have become a rather enthusiastic amatuer historian with an interest in European history 1920 - 1945 (and, later, Georgian England). After much reading I've concluded that, to put it bluntly, I think that the bombing war against Germany verged on being a war crime (and in the case of Dresden, a city of minimal strategic importance filled with refugees and POWs, it was), nor was it particularly effective (Speer managed to achieve maximum armaments production in the second half of 1944 after years of bombing) as the policy was to "dehouse" workers. "Bomber" Harris himself admitted that "the aim of the Combined Bomber Offensive...should be unambiguously stated [as] the destruction of German cities, the killing of German workers, and the disruption of civilized life throughout Germany... the destruction of houses, public utilities, transport and lives, the creation of a refugee problem on an unprecedented scale, and the breakdown of morale both at home and at the battle fronts by fear of extended and intensified bombing, are accepted and intended aims of our bombing policy. They are not by-products of attempts to hit factories". Looked at objectively, had Professor Lindemann (scientific advisor and creator of the strategic bombing premise) and Air Marshall Harris (who carried it out) been on the other side, they would have been executed as war criminals by the Allies. As bad as the Blitz was (and my maternal grandparents lived through it and had tales to tell), the bombing was primarily aimed at industry, although the crude targetting technology of the era meant that civilian casualties were inevitable.Whilst understandable, "an eye for an eye" does not make for good military strategy. One hopes that, with all that behind us, we will have the wit to oppose any politician, of any political stripe, that wants to take us down that road again.

On to more cheerful matters... Now that the workshop has been tidied up, I can restart the CAMDEN LOCK project, which has stalled and also start my long delayed attempt to build a brass coach kit (a GWR full brake - so minimal soldering :O )

Have a great day.

• Like 11

No post last night folks, must have caught Dom's headache online somehow! Mine was 'splitting' most of yesterday and still is to a degree now so I'm off back to bed for a while and hope to catch up again soon!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Fosty and froggy here. Intended plans today out of the window as whilst clearing up yesterday evening I managed to kick the wall. I swear it moved. Hence this morning a bruised and probably broken toe. Walking is slow and getting wellies on is a problem so early walk is off. See what happens later.

Here in Donegal, last night's frost has disappeared and we are enjoying a balmy (5 deg C), if rather overcast day. I think rain is forecast for later but, thankfully, no wind at the moment.

No sign of our guests appearing for their breakfast yet!

Pleasant walk with the dogs on the beach this morning with the tide well out. Spotted our pair of redshanks down on the river, they do seem to have taken up residence for the winter.

No plans for the day yet, we will have to wait and see what BiL and Mrs BiL want to do when they get up!

Hope all those suffering from various ailments get over them soon.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I recall being told about the 'Condor Legion' who bombed the totally undefended city of Guernica in 1937.

Coventry was allowed to get bombed, because Churchill could not risk the Germans realising that the Enigma had been cracked. 

As the human race evolves, it tries,  generally, to get more of a conscience.

What we consider totally unacceptable now, was considered necessary and therefore acceptable at that time.

An old family friend had been a Halifax pilot, he told me that the bomber offensive was not successful.  But, was the only way that Britain and the USA could be seen to be helping the USSR, who was fighting on a massive scale on the Eastern Front.

The bomber offensive slowed German industrial production down.  Can you imagine the production output Speer could have achieved without the disruption?

Allied casualty figures would have soared, and for the war leaders, that was just not acceptable.

The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, again, it was argued that these bombings were to reduce allied military casualties if the full scale invasion of Japan was to go ahead. 

We now know Japan was on the verge of capitulation.  I suspect at the time the Americans did too, and the two nuclear attacks were made just to prove a point!

Had the war dragged on Berlin, or another prominent German city would have been next on the list.

Some might say that we are turning a full circle, because despite our insistence on very specific rules of engagement, and the minimization or theoretical eradication of 'collateral damage' (quaint term), there are those who still think that ruling by fear and meting out 'justice' by kangaroo courts, by kidnappings, rape decapitation and mass murder is a perfectly acceptable way of instilling their ideology.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Another morning of fist & mog with a fairly low temperature but no frost - at least our forecast is for things to get a bit warmer.  Trusting all those under the weather will see an improvement this week but that revolving cold which seems to be abroad in our neck of the woods has again claimed Mrs Stationmaster.

Have a good day one & all

(and I think it best not to talk about the war lest we finish up arguing about it but in some respects what happened to Dresden in a single night, terrible though it was, was not as locally devastating as 5 Group's attack on Darmstadt in late 1944; it is alas all too easy to remember the headlines and forget the bylines when talking about past wars.)

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Jumped on the scales this morning and the readout said: "Give us some warning next time you do that!"

A 4 day trip to the MiL's, who puts on a good spread morning, noon and night, hasn't helped.

Decorations are coming down today and starting my new job tomorrow. 

Trying how to fix expanded polystyrene sheets to my garage door. Double-sided tape failed after a day or so. Gripfix, maybe?

Also got to have a spring clean of the garage ready for a spring and summer season of modelling. 

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• RMweb Premium

Seen in the Daily Mail this morning:

2466CE5B00000578-0-image-a-11_1420359683

If we were to spread a rumour it was full of model railway equipment from China, we could then film 'Hornby Galore'

Looks like a car carrier. Where did it happen?

Morning all,

Have a good day one & all

(and I think it best not to talk about the war lest we finish up arguing about it but in some respects what happened to Dresden in a single night, terrible though it was, was not as locally devastating as 5 Group's attack on Darmstadt in late 1944; it is alas all too easy to remember the headlines and forget the bylines when talking about past wars.)

I always wonder why in Darmstadt the huge Merk chemical factory was missed, in Frankfurt (Main) the IG Farben chemical complex managed only one bomb, and the Ford factory in Koeln was also spared - despite making tank engines.

My German friends were not slow to point these things out. Wonder what was "missed" near Dresden.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

An old family friend had been a Halifax pilot, he told me that the bomber offensive was not successful.  But, was the only way that Britain and the USA could be seen to be helping the USSR, who was fighting on a massive scale on the Eastern Front.

The bomber offensive slowed German industrial production down.  Can you imagine the production output Speer could have achieved without the disruption?

The Allied bomber offensive also forced Germany to maintain on its Western front a large force of day and night fighters and of anti-aircraft artillery with ancillary radar, searchlights and signals troops. Even half of that lot would have had a serious effect on the Eastern Front.  

The car carrier was a bit off course; the Bramble Bank is actually exposed at low spring tides, long enough for a cricket match to be played on it once a year.

Dull and chilly here but at least it's not raining.

Have a good day,

Pete

Morning all.  No frost here today (the result of being right next to the sea), so it is a nice morning.  Have been out and cleaned the car inside and outside, as we have to go to a funeral later this week.  Next job is to take the artificial Christmas tree into the loft for storage until next year, then hopefully a walk on the sand at low tide this afternoon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I see some of you are under the weather and with some expression of there being others worse off.

Well, I remember not so long ago when I was one of those that may have been considered "worse off" but I tell you, at the time, a cold or flu is what I dreaded most and anyone with such was banned from the house!  Sometimes, there seems nothing worse than girl/man flu.  Hope that makes you feel a bit better.  Get better soon, anyway.

Watched a bank of dark grey clouds turn various shades of pink, red and mauve this morning.

Early morning cup of tea was somewhat delayed!

Clear sky and sun here now but another bank of cloud on the horizon is, no doubt, heading this way.

Might make it a day of pottering or conjure up some modelling resolutions.

Have a good day yourselves.

• Like 14

Morning all. Today started with a bang, followed a few minutes later by a knock at the door. A car has crashed into my nice new gatepost and wall and partly demolished them. The gatepost had only been there a month! After checking that the young man driving the car and his younger brother passenger were uninjured I took his details for insurance purposes. It seems he recently passed his test and has only had the car insured for three weeks, it is not drivable now. His mother lives round the corner and offered to pay to have my repairs done without going through the insurance, providing it doesn't cost too much. I am a bit dubious about this as what exactly is "Too much"? However, going through the insurance will also affect my house insurance but at least it will eventually get done and paid for. The last thing I want is to be out of pocket for an accident I had no control over and no involvement other than providing the gatepost. Has anyone had an experience like this and if so do you think it best to involve the insurance company or not?

Have a good day and stay warm.