The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon All,

Still cold, made a pineapple cake which, despite following the recipe to a T, turned out slightly undercooked. Looks like the oven has had it (it's 17 years old). I have just replaced the fridge and the new fridge is bigger than the old, but still not entirely what I wanted/needed. Unfortunately, when we rebuilt the kitchen 17 years ago, we were persuaded by the company that installed the fitted kitchen to go with the Schweizer Norm. i.e. equipment that is 55cm wide, as opposed to the Euronorm: 60cm. So choice of equipment is severely limited.

So the next few days will see me studying the websites of manufacturers like Miele, Siemens, V-Zug and Fors for a suitable oven. I'd love to go "pro", but although often comparable in price with "domestic" 1) I'd have to get it via a specialed dealer [+extra cost], 2) for things like pro ovens you need certain upgrades (electrical circuits/wiring) and safety features (special insulation/protection to deal with the huge amount of BTUs pushed out), and 3) I don't have the space...

So, if anyone in ER is clued into ovens, I'm looking for a double oven (over/under not side by side), possibly fan forced air and/or built in microwave... Any suggestions gratefully received

Off to do lunch

Bon Appetit

• RMweb Gold

Aditi and I would quite like a short break in York but I think it has been pushed back into Aditi's "when I retire" list. Her current job keeps her very busy. I think I see less of her than when she was studying for her doctorate. Though at least I can understand now what she is doing when she asks if I know what is "wrong" with her spreadsheet. It is one of those spreadsheets that was thrown together years ago and has evolved into a horrible mess.

Matthew went to York with a couple of friends last week. One of the friends is from Pakistan and she really liked the Christmas market even though Matthew described it as a celebration of pig meat products and alcohol. Matthew and the same two friends are off to Bath today and as well as seeing the tourist sites will be meeting Aditi's cousin for lunch somewhere. Aditi's cousin has recently started studying at Bath University and seems to really like it there.

Tony

• Like 9

This post is coming to you from the top deck (front seat) of a Stagecoach Gold bus, route X46 which is definitely the bizz, complete with Free Wifi! I'm going to Exeter and the sun is shining!

Hope your day is equally pleasing.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All,

Still cold, made a pineapple cake which, despite following the recipe to a T, turned out slightly undercooked. Looks like the oven has had it (it's 17 years old). I have just replaced the fridge and the new fridge is bigger than the old, but still not entirely what I wanted/needed. Unfortunately, when we rebuilt the kitchen 17 years ago, we were persuaded by the company that installed the fitted kitchen to go with the Schweizer Norm. i.e. equipment that is 55cm wide, as opposed to the Euronorm: 60cm. So choice of equipment is severely limited.

So the next few days will see me studying the websites of manufacturers like Miele, Siemens, V-Zug and Fors for a suitable oven. I'd love to go "pro", but although often comparable in price with "domestic" 1) I'd have to get it via a specialed dealer [+extra cost], 2) for things like pro ovens you need certain upgrades (electrical circuits/wiring) and safety features (special insulation/protection to deal with the huge amount of BTUs pushed out), and 3) I don't have the space...

So, if anyone in ER is clued into ovens, I'm looking for a double oven (over/under not side by side), possibly fan forced air and/or built in microwave... Any suggestions gratefully received

Off to do lunch

Bon Appetit

Ovens with poor temperature control are really irritating. We realised our first oven had poor control when we found that the conventional oven in the microwave was better. I have no idea if they make a narrow one but we now have a De Dietrich single oven. They do various double ovens. If it died we would replace it with another one of the same make. We didn't buy their most expensive model as we don't need the feature where you enter the food item, weight and press go. Edited by Tony_S

Afternoon all,

Don't know what happened overnight but looked out around 3am when up for a 'P', and the full moon showed all the cars in the cul-de-sac shining white. Woke around 7.30am to find that we'd gone back to damp, dull and dreary with showers -what a contrast to yesterday!

Flávio, I really can't help on the oven front as I was trained on Gas by Grannie and Mum, and have tended to stick to that wherever I live. I've been keeping a Victoriana De-luxe Gas Range going for many years now, it is wide having two ovens, a separate grill, a griddle plate and a warming plate. It fits because I designed and built the kitchen around it - something I shall never be able to take on again! I've found it most useful for family dinners or dinner parties and I am really not sure how I will cope with the downsizing exercise that Joanna plans for next year as I almost certainly won't find anywhere with a kitchen large enough to accommodate a 110cm wide device! Good luck with your quest ; most of the suppliers around here only stock 600mm standard units sadly and I expect that your width requirement will mean greater expense sadly. By the way, glad to hear that the dogs seem to be settling down but the small operation you plan for Lucy seems like it is going to be worth every penny!

Mike(SM), I've had a glance at the frozen Sevenoaks thread but stopped for the sake of my blood pressure! No doubt AndrewC could invent a new descriptive adjective for those making such idiotic comments! Hope you and the 'boss' have a great time in York and try to remember that there is quite a lot of history there, other than that related to railways!!

Pete(trisonic), I hadn't heard of Phil until your mention but hope to address the situation by making direct contact with him. Such bravery deserves support and of course you rightly recognised the difficulties posed by such impaired mobility in a disaster zone - a real credit to you, thank you!

Apparently the fall-back task in view of inclement weather is to clean the kitchen windows, as an infrequent raising of the Venetian blinds exposed the fact that they haven't been done for a while and Joanna will shortly want to put Santa on the ledge with some attendant Christmas lights to keep our regular little visitors happy!

Duty calls so I'll wish you all well for the rest of Sunday,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Ian(OD), any update on the whereabouts of the missing tractor in the ongoing soap story near LeMans?

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Mike(SM), I've had a glance at the frozen Sevenoaks thread but stopped for the sake of my blood pressure! No doubt AndrewC could invent a new descriptive adjective for those making such idiotic comments! Hope you and the 'boss' have a great time in York and try to remember that there is quite a lot of history there, other than that related to railways!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks Jock - fortunately we're fairly well up on the history and some of my antecedents/their close relatives effectively wrote some of it having variously been responsible for the founding of what was at one time the largest hospice in Mediaeval northern England (a few oddments of wall being all that remains), the construction of part of the Minster, control of the Minster's finances,  adding to the Minster's ring of bells, and defying the orders of the King and offering protection during a pogrom of Jews.  That's apart from the ones in more recent centuries involved in the railway locally or in the close vicinity.

Alas being midweek we will miss the Sunday morning full ringing of rounds and changes on the Minster bells which is extremely impressive but we should be well within decent range for their practice ringing on Tuesday evening.

• Like 5

...So, if anyone in ER is clued into ovens, I'm looking for a double oven (over/under not side by side), possibly fan forced air and/or built in microwave...

The Siemens double oven (smaller grill cum oven top, larger fanned, grilled, multiple heat location choices main oven below) from their ordinary domestic range that we put in a house I am trustee for is still performing well, judging by my occasional sampling of the cooking therefrom. When I tried it out a couple of times to make lunches for those of us doing the place up I was impressed by its speed to heat up, and evenness of results. It backs off the fan speed so you are not in a red hot hurricane when the door is opened, a sensible feature, no?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Stewart, I knew that story about 'Mad McCann - read it alongside a picture of the man in the book 'On Glasgow & South Western Lines' with pictures by Derek Cross, with the book being posthumously presented by his son. Apparently Derek could vouch for the veracity of the tale as he actually rode on the footplate of the 'Clan' that day!

That story appeared many years before the book that you've mentioned, and I think it was in a Railway World annual about 25 years ago in an article of Derek's called Drivers Wild.  Many of the McCann stories appeared there, but I got them from my dad's cousin as well - he also knew Derek, so the chances are that this was the original source.

• Like 2

Mike(SM), I've had a glance at the frozen Sevenoaks thread but stopped for the sake of my blood pressure! No doubt AndrewC could invent a new descriptive adjective for those making such idiotic comments!

I've just read this thread. I've now got it in my diary in the hope that I'm free to attend

• Like 1

This post is coming to you from the top deck (front seat) of a Stagecoach Gold bus, route X46 which is definitely the bizz, complete with Free Wifi! I'm going to Exeter and the sun is shining!

Hope your day is equally pleasing.

Sherry, is it a rail replacement bus? Look out for low bridges.

Ed

Many thanks to Tony and "34" (if I may be so informal...), I'll certainly look at the Siemens double oven (unfortunately, the model is likely as not to be only available in Euronorm dimensions, but one can hope...) I'll also see if De Dietrich is available here.

Jock, I have mixed feelings about gas. I think that a good electric oven can be better than a gas one, BUT gas hobs (burners) are the ONLY way to go, microsecond heat response (don't get me started on electric hobs/burners... [not even the halogen ones]). My hob needs replacing (as well) and I'm investigating induction hobs (paradoxically we have gas heating, but Mrs iD is not at all happy with having gas in the kitchen). Unfortunately, the ones I've seen so far have only 4 burners: usually 1 decent size/power, 2 so-so size/power and one teeny tiny one slightly more powerful than a match [OK, OK, I exaggerate a bit...]). Not what you want if you aim to cook a Sunday Lunch and have all the trimmings ready by when the meat is rested and ready to carve. I have just about enough space to squeeze in a 6 burner hob - should I ever find a 6 burner unit that has decent powered burners.

Anyway, on to matters Raiwayianna, Mrs iD has insisted that I tidy up my workshop. I have (mostly/partly/partially/fractionally) done so. The floor can be seen, as can some work table tops.

Dogs have been walked, weather is dismal and I am currently listening to Elgar's "Enigma Variations" as the Rib Roast (hopefully) cooks in my oven. I may have a glass of Bowmore 12 y.o. to while away the time before dinner. Bliss!

Enjoy the evening

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just managed to get caught up - most hectic day, and the wind is fierce here - not too much of a blow, but very very cold wind chill.  As to Jock's mention of "On Glasgow And South Western Lines", it has prompted me to dig out my copy and have had a nostalgia fix.  I think I may have told my Derek Cross story before, but I may not - and I'm sure that Jock for one won't have heard it. 

My dad's cousin got wind of an unusual working at Ayr when an A3 off the S&C/GSW service was pinched for a fill in turn on a Girvan local - this sort of pinch was not unusual, and resulted in quite a number of oddities at Ayr - particularly on race days, when Duchesses were also to be seen.  Anyhows, off we goes to Ayr station, and me with my Kodak 44A to photograph this interloper.  It duly arrived and was sat on the Southbound platform and I made my way down to get a pic, and met a gentleman with a MUCH better camera - as I went to take my pic, a Swindon DMU pulled on on the Northbound, so I waited and photographed the two together - and was heartily rebuked for spoiling the shot by including a diesel.  He then went off the platform end to photograph the A3 departing.  I had forgotten the incident until I got another Derek Cross book, and there was the picture that he went off to take, showing the A3 complete with Caley route indicator - his picture made it into his book - mine was rubbish and I don't even now know where it (or the negative) got to.

As usual, it's a generic greeting, as I've still got a dozen domestic tasks to do.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, returned from Connah's Quay with a small snake, its name is about as long as the snake. Black banded chinese mountain bamboo ratsnake or someting latin for short I am sure Matt knows exactly what it is called, it is a mate for the female one he already has. He now has three sets of snakes that could breed next yearwhile he is still at uni and well out of the way...... It wasn't a bad drive there were fewer than average numpties about and the weather wasn't too bad either. I got some funny looks for wearing a short sleeved shirt when I nipped into Asda clearly they are all nesh on the wrong side of the hills.Once he has settled and eaten he will no doubt have his picture taken  

• Like 9

Back from Brum, having helped with the European Railways Association exhibition on Saturday.  Small, friendly and very enjoyable.  Flavio wrote that exhibitions up to a certain size can get away with a few bodges and still work.  Think of me on Saturday morning with five layouts wanting to fire up, and trying to find a working power socket!  Did anyone go?  Pete, some exhibitions are worth going to.

And so to Sevenoaks.  I've kept off the thread because I know most of the parties and I took my layout to New Cross last year.  As Tony wrote, it was a very successful, small, local exhibition.  Access was up a narrow staircase with a 180° bend, the profile of the floor reflected the Alps (luckily we could adjust Höchstädt's trestles), and when we returned on Saturday morning our 3' operating space was now 2' to the back of another rear operated layout, with an operating team that were going to occupy that space without regard to us.  We made a quick decision to operate from the front, but it did mean that once the controllers were through the drapes we had to use them in fixed positions.  So what with dodging through the crowd to uncouple as well, operation wasn't what I would call speedy.  Now Höchstädt has a stalker, who made his usual complaint on RMWeb about our slovenly operating skills.  I didn't respond, but you can imagine what I thought.

And so to Sevenoaks.  I did New Cross gratis, as did several other layouts, because travelling costs were minimal.  But Sevenoaks is a different matter, and I would certainly need to charge for four journeys and I wonder how many good layouts are in the neighbourhood.  Also the local populace is different; Sarth East Lodon walked to the show and had a good time, I'm dubious how many Sevenoaks burghers will turn up in their Chelsea tractors.

Bill

• Like 2

Caught up (hmm, lots to read) and bloody tired <yawn>

Went to the neighbors across the road for their annual Christmas party, was excellent as ever. Didn't over indulge because...

was up at 5:30 to get Jemma to the airport - she managed to get on the 7AM flight to LA, so is relieved and can relax (hopefully) once she finds her crash-pad and gets sorted.

Needed to hop back into bed after that as I was really tired, dunno why tho <sigh> so got a couple of hours extra sleep.

Now an hour away from ME being taken to the airport so I can get to Nashville for a 4-day stint. Funny, I generally like travelling but not that bothered right now, would rather be home and get Christmas decorations up and some modelling...

Have a good Sunday, wish I was looking forward to a sunday roast myself, but that's not happening on a 2-hour flight, probably won't even get a bag of peanuts!

I'm off to see the Sevenoaks thread and be frightened :O  :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks.

A full power day at Groudle, running trials for the Santa trains as our new coaches haven't been used in anger yet.  Turns out they are a lot heavier than the old ones, and we needed to have rather more motive power at our disposal than we thought!  The Steamplex and Sea Lion together were flat out up the 1 in 33, which isn't ideal, we don't like to thrash the old girl (the Steamplex just gets thrashed regardless, it's the only way as she is rather small in the cylinder) so we ended up with three locos, with the battery electric Polar Bear banking with the Steamplex!    I think there are bits of coal still coming down from the Steamplex's efforts, she is very loud at the chimney.  This is a good thing we think!

I'm shattered now as I prepared and disposed the Steamplex as well as a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, and there was a mighty cold and strong wind blowing up the glen.  It was at least dry, if it had rained it would have been quite horrid.

As for York, oh yes please!  I love York, it is a fine place.  We often used to go for a day trip, nowadays it is rather more involved to get there.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

As for York, oh yes please!  I love York, it is a fine place.  We often used to go for a day trip, nowadays it is rather more involved to get there.

Me too - a couple of good music shops, lots of good eateries, one not too bad model shop, and I think there's something that I've overlooked - oh yes, a little collection of railwayana in Leman Road.  I still like that city, even though it was there that I did my hip falling onto the kerbstone outside one of the said music shops.  Oh yes, and there are a number of pretty decent pubs there as well, including quite a few which claim to be haunted.

Now finished off the domestics which involved the Christmas trees, the decorations, and the outside lights - made MUCH easier by Lily trying to remove the tree dingledangles as soon as they were up.

• Like 5

Evenin all, 

As I mentioned earlier I did start  with the "Printie"  loco last night...  done a bit more today.  I much prefer working with  metal or plastic so this was  a bit of an adventure.  Not over happy with it so far but will persevere and see what what I can make of it.  One of the disadvantages of working with large scale stuff is some of the detail (grills etc) have to be in relief.  

Bed time now,  

Sleep well & stay warm

Trev 

post-4282-0-54305700-1417984848.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Mmmm, laptop wouldn't boot properly after installing JMRI.  Took ages, hope it was just a glitch.

JMRI isn't resource demanding. I have used it on very basic PCs. I would be inclined to think it was a coincidence.

Tony