The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A bit damp here between the M62 and Leeds.  Still peaceful with the cats  and Gavin is spending more time near to Ruby thougb a bit of growin g is still going on.   Here's a photo that I took the first night she was here.  (I finally found the right lead to do the download.)

post-6824-0-79281000-1415695282_thumb.jpg

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Actually if you look at the Northern jet stream it resembles a weak roller coaster - except right now it is like a Big Dipper. The southern most extent of it is as far south as Atlanta Georgia so, in fact it has moved the polar air from being centered over the north pole (roughly) down to (roughly) Winnipeg. Normally the northern jet stream runs  along the USA/Canada border (all things being equal). The big storm system has shaken the track the same way as one might a “skipping rope”.

Low pressure systems influence temperature in two different ways. If your location is to the east of them then, yes, you will get mild southerlies but once it passes over you (they normally move from west to east in the north hemisphere) then you will get cold blusterly north westerly winds.

Best, Pete.

The Jet stream as you say is normally centred on the USA/Canada border, which on this side of the pond corresponds with the Bristol Channel.  Generally this results in the low pressure systems being forced up into the Irish Sea and drawing the warm moist air behind it. At the moment the jet stream is further south than normal with a dip over the Azores and then heading north dumping a lot of rain on the first land it meets, the British Isles.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

We had a rude awakening this morning, as one of the smoke alarms decided to sound at 6am for no reason - the one at the top of the stairs and outside our bedroom door.  A check downstairs and upstairs showed no smoke anywhere, and a check of the user guide suggested that as this particular model is an optical device, the problem is likely to be that it needed a clean - still a bad start as we don't get up until 7.

I've caught up now, and as usual, there's quite a lot to digest, so also as usual, commiserations or congratualations where deserved.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sun has appeared and it's 10o C. Should stay dry with large amounts of cloud and the occasional bright spell.

Dropped Chris off at work earlier and the parting instruction was "Have a nice day" .....so I will  :locomotive: although there will be a pause for reflection at 11.00AM.

The two younger grandchilden will be here as usual later today but Abbie has some sort of meeting after school to discuss A-level options next year. She is growing up far too quickly - well they all are actually.

Have a good one,

Bob

• Like 7

Morning all! Cloudy but bright(ish).  Never had winter tyres for my car, apart from having nowhere to store them, I've never had enough bother that I've needed them. Only ever had one incident, and I don't think winter tyres would have made any difference! Thankfully it only resulted in a cracked bumper and a slightly bent wheel arch so no major damage.

Had planned to go out for a run after work yesterday, but then got chatting to the boss, and it was nearly 6 before I left the office, and my stomach was already rumbling!

Slightly strange feeling at work at the moment, bit of uncertainty as there's every chance that there will be a reshuffle up here next week with the new FM being sworn in.  We're all wondering if our current Health Minister will still be in post by the end of next week.  We've got a big conference on next Friday, so it'll be interesting to see if our current Minister is the one doing the speech... or a new Minister on a very steep learning curve!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This talk of tyres I keep hearing 'these are not ordinary tyres these are M&S tyres....'

never had any winter tyres. As a postie in the shropshire hills a big lump of concrete or a bags of chippings over each wheel of the old morris did the job. On my Citroen Ami a large weight in the passenger footwell helped as did the 13in ground clearance and the flat underside of the chassis it was like a sledge over drifts.

Don

• Like 10

Morning all,

A bit murky here looking across the Forth.

Returned from London yesterday afternoon after the Edwardian glamour that is New Cross Gate (Hi, Pete 75C). House prices are very silly, beggars on the streets, everyone in a hurry - almost like a Dickens scene with cars and buses. Took the train to Brighton on Saturday - amazed it's just 30 mins from East Croydon - and got blown away walking to Hove along the stormy front

post-4951-0-47049800-1415698324_thumb.jpg

Saw my father on Friday and he does need some help - planted some seeds in his head so that he'll hopefully come up with the idea himself - meantime got him an appointment at the hearing clinic and fixed his front door (he hadn't been out for a fortnight). Meals-on-wheels would be a good idea, and an assessment by social services but I don't want to worry him. It's tricky. Anyone with similar experience?

Mal

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back from dentist...... new appointment set for next week to have filling changed... grump(!)

Grey and dull here at the moment .. but household chores complete so modelling awaits!

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Pete you've got a lot nearer what really happens with our very complex weather systems - even more complex here than your side of the pond.  A very simple rule is that air, and hence wind, tends to move from an area of high pressure to one of low pressure (which makes 'simple' UK weather forecasting, er, 'simple' but there are more complexities because of the way air moves in cyclones and anti-cyclones plus the shifting about of the Jet Stream.  Here is a very useful 'starter' from the Met Office which gives a good basic explanation of the effect of the cells in the Troposphere and how they influence air movement -

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/how-weather-works/global-circulation-patterns

That apart it looks like another exciting (not) day ahead as I'm already deputed to wield the vacuum cleaner and no doubt a bit of shopping from Tesco.  I'm not at all sure which Tesco establishments are losing customers as ours seems as busy as ever!

Have a nice day.

• Like 3

Morning all, 

I'm amazed  - I've just had phone call from the opticians to say my new specs are ready! (Only went last Thursday)  now just got to persuade the ex to take me to collect them! 

Dull and dismal in N.Somerset other wise today - not raining yet but I suspect it will presently. Also having to try and sort the wheel re-inventors out remotely too.   

Still life must go on I guess?

Make the best of  your day

Trev.

Good morning all from the Greener (sic) Borough.

Friendly Support to all - lots of dentistry going on - I've got a root canal job this afternoon, on a tooth which is actually causing me no discomfort but may cause me pain afterwards... whilst what I think is a cracked or broken bicuspid is getting sensitive. I think a change of plan may be called for...

Leg problems continue - I've now got a couple of sores on my shin (caused by the way I sit) which won't go away and Julie thinks might be developing into ulcers. Oh joy.

Had one of those great grandad (actually I'm a Pop-Pops) moments last evening, Jock, when Blondie, after swimming, was really tired and came to sit on my lap to watch TV and did that thing where tired kids snuggle down and you both feel comfortable and secure. You miss that as your kids get older. Her mum is looking well, so that's encouraging.

I've just made a couple of photo albums - one of the year in pictures for Julie and I and one of her trip to France as a Christmas present for Blondie. I'm also making one for her other grandparents. It's an interesting and rewarding thing to do, especially if, like me, you are a prolific photographer. I do them through Apple and they aren't cheap but they are exceedingly classy.

No modelling for me today, I suspect, as my shed is full of Julie's stuff (as is the hallway, dining room and breakfast room) and she has a series of jobs I need to do before the big Nonsuch Crafters' fortnight at Bourne Hall. Essentially painting shelves...

So, good day to all, don't forget to pay respects at 11, be kind to each other.

When I lived in the UK, I never had winter tyres either.  However, I drove a Subaru Impreza, and 4WD has very definite advantages in slippery conditions.

Living in the Rhein Main Gebiet, we don't (generally) get very heavy snow, but winter tyres are a very definite advantage on icy and snow covered roads for those occasions when it does snow.  Winter tyres aren't compulsory in Germany, but if you have an accident in snowy conditions with summer tyres then the insurance company will often refuse to pay because you didn't make adequate provision for Winter.  You can also be fined for the same reason.

All weather tyres (M+S) are sufficient, so you don't have to swap wheels over if you don't want to.

I swap the tyres over myself - usually obeying the O-O advice (Oktober bis Ostern - October to Easter)

- lots of dentistry going on - I've got a root canal job this afternoon, on a tooth which is actually causing me no discomfort but may cause me pain afterwards... whilst what I think is a cracked or broken bicuspid is getting sensitive. I think a change of plan may be called for...

You could change Dentist.

Here's one in Llandudno:

post-7041-0-11769500-1415701507_thumb.jpg

Actually it's a Solicitor but it's funnier if I say it's a Dentist.

• Like 3

Saw my father on Friday and he does need some help - planted some seeds in his head so that he'll hopefully come up with the idea himself - meantime got him an appointment at the hearing clinic and fixed his front door (he hadn't been out for a fortnight). Meals-on-wheels would be a good idea, and an assessment by social services but I don't want to worry him. It's tricky. Anyone with similar experience?

Unfortunately yes. None of it good.

Has someone trustworthy got Power of Attorney?

Social Services and/or your local Council are the folk with whom to open a dialogue.

However, the quality of personnel varies widely.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Forecast said cloudy today, and so it has become, although there was a lot of blue about when I ventured out to feed the dobbins at 9. Breeze from the SE is a bit unkind, but it's November, of course.

France - as previously indicated - takes Armistice seriously, so there isn't much going on here apart from services.

I've never essayed Winter tyres. A few years back, Deb and I had a medical appointment in Le Mans (25 miles), and the roads were snowy, with the main road to LM blocked by an accident of some sort. But we survived via the back doubles. Interesting to note it was heavy lorries that were in real trouble, being unable to get any traction, while most cars with FWD carried on by.

GT40s with bubbles in the roof started, ISTR, with a mod for Dan Gurney. Perhaps drivers are taller these days.

Hope your day going well.

• Like 15

Morning all,

A bit murky here looking across the Forth.

Returned from London yesterday afternoon after the Edwardian glamour that is New Cross Gate (Hi, Pete 75C). House prices are very silly, beggars on the streets, everyone in a hurry - almost like a Dickens scene with cars and buses. Took the train to Brighton on Saturday - amazed it's just 30 mins from East Croydon - and got blown away walking to Hove along the stormy front

attachicon.gifDSC_0107.jpg

Mal

Great photograph Mal.

John

Morning All

We had a rude awakening this morning, as one of the smoke alarms decided to sound at 6am for no reason - the one at the top of the stairs and outside our bedroom door.  A check downstairs and upstairs showed no smoke anywhere, and a check of the user guide suggested that as this particular model is an optical device, the problem is likely to be that it needed a clean - still a bad start as we don't get up until 7.

I've caught up now, and as usual, there's quite a lot to digest, so also as usual, commiserations or congratualations where deserved.

Regards to All

Stewart

Ours will go off if you don't change the battery regularly (recommended yearly). As they all mains operated as well and linked it gets very noisy!. Always seems to happen in the middle of the night. The only way to stop it is to turn them off at the main box, then change the batteries in the morning.

John

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of dentists - I hope none of you were clients of Mr John Hammond of Loughborough - not only a dentist and founder of the local Rotary Club but also the former owner of Skytrex, well know suppliers of 7mm stock, buildings and accessories. He went bankrupt owing between £6 - £8 million . . . . . . . .

http://www.loughboroughecho.net/news/local-news/dentist-dr-john-hammond-been-6132789

http://tinfoilskies.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/dont-be-scared-ive-done-this-before.html

I understand that some employees took on the business and so the current Skytrex is not legally connected to him - perhaps they should have started up again under a different name. I won't say more as I believe there may be a court case . . . . . . .

What I do know is that after WWI the politicians managed to waste the sacrifice of all those men and women, sowing the seeds for something far nastier.

One of the stories put around by the Nazis in the 20's was that Germany's woes (and there were many) were entirely as result of the reparations and taking of territory at the Treaty of Versailles. and this has been generally taken on board as a whole truth. But as I understand it, the reparations awarded as a result of Versailles were far less than the reparations against France at the end of the Franco-Prussian war (including the taking of territory from France). What one needs to remember is that while Germany did indeed suffer in the 20s, this was in large part due to the damage it had managed to do to its own economy in the build up to and prosecution of the war. The British and French economies suffered badly too, and Russia's was changed beyond recognition by the Revolution. The only major economy that seemed to do well as a result of the war was the US, changing from a net borrower in 1914 to a net lender by 1918. The root causes of the second world war run much deeper than political errors post 1918; they go back prior to 1870 as well. The rise of Prussia/Germany as an additional central European power was probably the thing that eventually added major imbalance to the web of alliances and treaties that built up post Napoleon, coupled with the terminal decline of the Ottoman Empire's European influence.

Greeting from Borough Market Junction

a hint of blue amidst the grey and white clouds here.

Had a day off work yesterday as we managed to do a bit of Christmas shopping (early I know but I'm not going anywhere near Bluewater in December) and book a holiday for next year, and have some tapas (best bit of the day as far as I was concerned!). I also managed a trip to Majestic at the weekend to take advantage of their offer on champagnes to stock up before Christmas; our favourite Nicolas Feuillate NV is down to £15.99 a bottle which is a good price - and the Chapel Down was a similar price too. Oyster Ba sauvignon blanc was down to about £8 a bottle and the Chateau Musar 2007 was at a reasonable price.

For red wine lover who have not come across the last named, it's worth exploring - not cheap but then you're buying wine with fine claret aspirations, produced in the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon. In years gone by, they could never guarantee what grapes could be harvested so each year had a different blend, but I think they are more stable in recent times. The second wine, Hochar pere et fils is cheaper but nevertheless worth a go. The whites are made with local grapes and have distinct flavours. I'm not a particular fan of them.

Chilly and breezy here in Slapding today, but I don't need to venture out so a lazy(ish) day beckons though my accounts are lurking in the background, but they can wait (for a while).

On Sunday went to Birmingham with Jane and friends and saw the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain in a great WW1 commemorative concert.  A wonderful programme moving easily from laughter through singing to being moved to tears.  A piece from a German poet, who died in 1916, and Chinese music commemorating the Chinese Labour Corps whose front line contributions have been largely forgotten, were poignant.   The rendition of "Helige Nacht / Silent Night", sung in both German and English was particularly moving. 

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of younger people attending, most of whom seemed to know the words of the songs.  They did particularly well on "Tipperary" , though they tailed off when some of us drifted into the alternative version, "That's the wrong way to tickle Mary.................................."  A great night and really one to remember.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

My chicken preparation has left the house with a Meditteraean aroma. Aditi requested the spatchcock chicken recipe she did recently. I'm not totally sure whether she appreciated my calling it roadkill chicken. Aditi helpfully informed me the recipe was on the internet. I just made something up.

• Like 1

Morning all , quick check in will come back later and read everything - have a meeting to attend...

Storm decided we were too far south, by about 10 miles :) All we got yesterday was 3 inches, got another 2+ overnight. However, where our cabin is 90 miles north they got 12 inches of snow..

Started out at -5 here with blowing snow, looking to clear some  and be mostly sunny and then, because of the snow cover preventing the ground from warming, will only make -3 daytime, and expecting -11 overnight!!! :O

Edited by Ian Abel

My chicken preparation has left the house with a Meditteraean aroma. Aditi requested the spatchcock chicken recipe she did recently. I'm not totally sure whether she appreciated my calling it roadkill chicken. Aditi helpfully informed me the recipe was on the internet. I just made something up.

Chicken ala(s) RM Web...

Ingredients: chicken (bring it out of the freezer to defrost before checking ERs), tinned tomatoes (whichever brand has the best cardboard wrapping for the four pack), woodshavings, paint, vacuum hoses (or similar small parts)...

Edited by station cat
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ours will go off if you don't change the battery regularly (recommended yearly). As they all mains operated as well and linked it gets very noisy!. Always seems to happen in the middle of the night. The only way to stop it is to turn them off at the main box, then change the batteries in the morning.

John

Mine was fitted by the local fire service as part of their fire awareness initiative, and is a non-replaceable battery, as it has a long life lithium cell in it - when it dies, which should be ten years, then you dispose if it in an envirnonmentally friendly way and get a new one.  They didn't tell me about the cleaning business, and this is why we had the rude awakening.  Our last house had mains powered alarms, with backup ni-cads, and they all started to chirp together in a power cut after about two hours. 

Got the shopping, and dinner is now on the go, and it looks as if I'm needed to help there, somehow.

Edited by 45156