The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A heater was an optional extra on some models up until the 1960's.

Dad had an electric heater with suction pads as a rudimentary demister for the windscreen and a squeezy bottle with deicer to squirt out of the driver's window over the windscreen. The Cortina he got in 65 was much more sophisticated.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Actually Ian I can quite understand your choice we lived for some years in the Shropshire Hills through some of the coldest winters. When we moved into the cottage there was no toilet or bath/shower no heating sytem, the roof had gaps in it and no insulation so it wasn't easy. Admittedly the worse snow at around 3ft deep would probably be nothing compared to you but I can remember walking 5 miles to work as it was too risky to drive. I might well choose to live were you do. However while living in the Forst of Dean the cold started to affect Marion going out to break the ice on water for the ducks and geese was no pleasure. So we moved south for warmer winters but then compromised in Minehead we have the hills and wild moors but the winters are much wilder so moving to where you are would not be an option now. I would not wish to live in a city though.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I can remember a journey from Canterbury to Solihull on my BSA C15 motorbike. I had to get off every 15 minutes and hug the engine to warm up. I got to Towcester and thought I should have a hot drink as it was something below zero. The cafe in the town centre wouldn't serve motorcyclists. I wasn't sorry when in a warmer time I noticed they had closed due to lack of custom.

• Like 8

Ian’s saving grace is that it is colder in Canada (but without the snow). South of Minneapolis they are expecting 5-8 inches but 20 miles north it’ll be 12 - 18 inches.

We’re expecting snow on Monday but an inch at most -anyway it’ll be almost tropical with a high of 4C.

I’ll have to cut the grass before then and afterwards switch the snowblower around with the mower (just in case). I doubt if this will reach Europe as it is a massive storm that started (so far as America is concerned) out in the Bering Sea forcing the northern most jet stream down and allowing the Polar Vortex to move south.

Actually I’m hopeful for the “real” winter because the long range forecast is for a cold winter and they invariably get it wrong...

Otherwise it is, of course, Global Warming again.

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

Do they have extension lead sockets dangling out of the engine area too?

Tony - and all the "Funny" posters...well, many do, many don't! Not as funny/far-fetched as you think. Further north and especially on into Canada they are quite standard/common.

Whilst even in Minneapolis they aren't needed that often, my daughter chose that option as she knew she'd be living in Grand Forks for a while. Most of the apartment buildings and office areas have posts where you can plug in your car overnight, or at work during the day...

When it's bitterly cold (and I don't mean "UK cold" :jester: ) they can be very useful since a short commute can mean the car won't get to operating temperature AND it's bloody freezing inside, not to mention the fact it is less stress on the battery etc.,etc. Our last car had one, but current one doesn't, and for the dreaded mid-January arctic blast the Mrs. will miss it I'm sure...

Many a true word spoken in jest ;)

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Ian’s saving grace is that it is colder in Canada (but without the snow). South of Minneapolis they are expecting 5-8 inches but 20 miles north it’ll be 12 - 18 inches.

We’re expecting snow on Monday but an inch at most -anyway it’ll be almost tropical with a high of 4C.

I’ll have to cut the grass before then and afterwards switch the snowblower around with the mower (just in case). I doubt if this will reach Europe as it is a massive storm that started (so far as America is concerned) out in the Bering Sea forcing the northern most jet stream down and allowing the Polar Vortex to move south.

Actually I’m hopeful for the “real” winter because the long range forecast is for a cold winter and they invariably get it wrong...

Otherwise it is, of course, Global Warming again.

Best, Pete.

That same southern drift of the jet stream  is responsible for the mild weather on this side of the pond. As it crosses the North Atlantic it creates low pressure vortexes. All low pressure systems in the northern hemisphere rotate anti clockwise and in doing so draw up warm moisture laden air from the equator hence the mild wet weather.  

Evening all,

Just a thought but 'Byron' was a lyrical, romantic poet and would where possible, I'm sure avoid offensive and rude comment - there are ways of discussing topics in a friendly manner which is the norm on ERs! Enough said!!

Lovely catching up after a busy day looking after children who are younger than we ever, in our wildest dreams, thought we would. Great fun, emotional, and certainly tiring but we are amazed at just how good they are. Perhaps at three and a half years, and six months old, they are in awe of the old f*rts that are caring for them. Freddie went off to nursery school at lunchtime and was picked up at four o'clock with a 'good' report, and the little lass spent most of the time, eating, sleeping and smiling. Their dad would like to know the secret! I still think that Joanna and I are going to be tired by Friday.

I'm absolutely delighted by the common feeling running through the thread, regardless of religion or political persuasion, that we owe a lot to those who fell in 'The War To End All Wars' and all those that subsequently broke out because we failed to learn a lesson!

Neil, I suspect that the hypocrites that you mentioned would probably also attend church as a social requirement rather than an act of worship?

Sounds like our friends in the ex-colony over the 'pond' are in for a tough time with the weather - batten down the hatches folks! I truly admire the way that the U.S. deals with the adverse conditions having had a skiing holiday in Vermont some years ago with my brother who lived in Boston as an American citizen (married in!). We drove to the slopes, had several days of good sport (oh how I wish I could do it now!) whilst the white stuff fell all the time, and we're still able to drive back to Boston thanks to the efficiency of the road clearing teams and their equipment!

Off now to read some more Wilfred Owen before sleep. Another early start tomorrow no doubt!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Just noticed its now 'good morning' from, me but G'night to Pete!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 9

Tony - and all the "Funny" posters...well, many do, many don't! Not as funny/far-fetched as you think. Further north and especially on into Canada they are quite standard/common.

My son is moving to Saskatoon in January. A block heater and a remote starter are on his 'must buy' list.
  • Like 1

I put the winter tires on the car today. Broke a plastic hub cap putting it on. I don't think I have ever managed to get all 4 hub caps on without breaking one. Why do they have to use such brittle plastic? A trip to Canadian Tire is called for.

You need winter tires around Vancouver? Or do you do it knowing that if you do it will not snow?

Alternatively you may just have very low profile sports tires, of course....

Best, Pete.

It's a good idea to have them, Pete. If you go anywhere outside the Lower Mainland on the Canadian side - to Whistler or into the Interior 'beyond Hope' - there will definitely be snow on the roads. We do get some snow in the city most years - I have pictures of nearly 3 feet of snow on our drive. And it's the 'wrong kind of snow'. Seriously, it behaves more like mud than sand because the temperature doesn't go very far below freezing. All-seasons do not cope very well with it, you really need M&S rated tires for it. Edited by pH

That same southern drift of the jet stream  is responsible for the mild weather on this side of the pond. As it crosses the North Atlantic it creates low pressure vortexes. All low pressure systems in the northern hemisphere rotate anti clockwise and in doing so draw up warm moisture laden air from the equator hence the mild wet weather.  

Actually if you look at the Northern jet stream it resembles a weak roller coaster - except right now it is like a Big Dipper. The southern most extent of it is as far south as Atlanta Georgia so, in fact it has moved the polar air from being centered over the north pole (roughly) down to (roughly) Winnipeg. Normally the northern jet stream runs  along the USA/Canada border (all things being equal). The big storm system has shaken the track the same way as one might a “skipping rope”.

Low pressure systems influence temperature in two different ways. If your location is to the east of them then, yes, you will get mild southerlies but once it passes over you (they normally move from west to east in the north hemisphere) then you will get cold blusterly north westerly winds.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

It's a good idea to have them, Pete. If you go anywhere outside the Lower Mainland on the Canadian side - to Whistler or into the Interior 'beyond Hope' - there will definitely be snow on the roads. We do get some snow in the city most years - I have pictures of nearly 3 feet of snow on our drive. And it's the 'wrong kind of snow'. Seriously, it behaves more like mud than sand because the temperature doesn't go very far below freezing. All-seasons do not cope very well with it, you really need M&S rated tires for it.

We average 88 inches of snow here and I use “All-Weather” tires! What a plonker, eh?

The reason is that during snow storms our local authority usually plows at least three times - if 12 inches or more is expected. The highest single fall of snow I’ve experienced  was 39 inches - the first winter here.

We get all types of snow. If it is around freezing then we get heavy wet snow - very cold and we get a dry light powder (still gets deep though), you can guess which I prefer when clearing the driveway...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No snow here yet just rain..and with that may I wish you all Good Morning!

Off to dentist first thing but can't sleep..

Youngest Herbert got back from work at 11 last night and is up early to do a stock check this morning starting at 7. Such is the life of a Bar Manager!

Have a good Tuesday everyone!

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Repeat of yesterday weather-wise. Haircut today, which is a change from yesterday! :jester:

I`d think the protracted cooking time required, made it difficult to have them on the menu. :mosking:

Listening to the Fine Young Cannibals would've made that bearable, I'm sure! :mosking:

Morning all. A miserable day here but luckily I am at work again and plenty to do to take my mind off the weather.

Jock, I know what you mean about the grand children. Spend all day with them and when you are tired out you can hand them back, not like having your own kids. If I had known this at the time I would have had the grand children first!

At eleven o'clock this morning I am doing my usual thing of locking up the office and having two minutes quiet contemplation by myself. Isn't it strange that we can be moved by thoughts of relatives we never knew? I haven't even seen a photo of my maternal granddad although I do know where he is buried thanks to the Commonwealth War Graves website. My older brother has visited the cemetery in France and found it quite moving, especially when you see the sheer numbers of grave stones kept in immaculate condition.

Enjoy your day whatever it brings.

Morning all from the leafy 'burbs of the boring borough. All of the leaves of course now being located in the bird bath and fountains.

PH has brought back loads of memories for me this morning. Driving from Calgary to Vancouver in the winter. Not fun at the best of times. I won't go into the quality of lower mainland drivers once they see all the white stuff on and beside the road. I remember one drive where a section near Three Valley Gap had so much snow it was like driving along the Death Star trench but with no exhaust port at the end of it.

Good old Canadian Tire as well. Think of it as a combination of Halfords, Kwik Fit, ScrewFix, and Homebase all in one. Legions of Saturday mechanics doing small repairs in the parking lot. You aren't Canadian unless you've changed wiper blades, filled anti-freeze, or swapped headlight bulbs in a Canadian Tire parking lot. Not to mention a kitchen drawer full of Canadian Tire money. I think we have some lingering about somewhere. Then there was the sheer joy of having the block heater cord removed by an over enthusiastic automatic carwash. I've replaced a few of them in the past.

Deb: you are correct, motorcyclists are very tough and gristly. To cook properly they need to be slow cooked in a Crock pot or similar. Way too time consuming for the average café. <no chianti jokes plz>

I'm off to the three ring assclown circus for meetings today. Where ever you are and what ever you are doing, enjoy the day.

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 7

It's grey and overcast here but a little warmer than yesterday morning. No rain and the gales haven't arrived yet. Nearly bumped into another dog walker on the beach cos we're both too macho to use the torches we are carrying! Once I managed to quieten the brain down (thinking about how best to represent the strapping on an industrial brick chimney!), I managed 2/3rds of a good night's sleep and wasn't lying there waiting for the alarm to go off.

I bought a couple of snow tyres 3 or 4 years ago. We were having the second bad winter in a row (we can go years without any snow in west Donegal). I had to order them but they didn't arrive by the time we set off for Christmas in Scotland with my daughter. We never made it out of Donegal. After taking a couple of hours to travel 50 miles on the only route open to Larne, with darkness upon us and the temperature down to -18 deg C, we decided it would be prudent to abort. We made it over just after New Year with our new snow tyres(+wheels!) in the back. It was still very cold, the roads were clear of snow but very icy. However, it did snow when we were there, so we swapped the wheels over for the return trip. Needless to say the thaw started that morning so, when we got to Stranraer, we pulled into a tyre shop where they kindly changed the wheels for us. There was no charge but I did give them a good tip! Needless to say, they are gathering dust in the garage (or shed as they call such buildings in this neck of the woods!)

May your winters be sunny.

John

PS Jock They may be good now but don't forget that the younger one has yet to reach the terrible twos!

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Looks quite nice out today. Too warm still to need the winter tyres. I think it is at about 7C where they become grippier than "normal" tyres. There is a set of quite pricy low profile winter tyres hiding under the trainset in the garage for Aditi's Fiesta. My car has M&S tyres anyway.

Ian, l had seen lots of Canadian cars with the heater power leads dangling. I was wondering if it happened south of the border too!

My car has the "winter accessory pack" but not the Scandinavian option so it doesn't have the auxiliary heater which burns diesel fuel to make the car nice and warm.

I have been instructed to cook chicken tonight.

Tony

• Like 7

Morning all.  Rather wet here this morning, and a pain getting to work.  United Utilities have closed the road I usually travel to work all week, so the other main route is very busy.  Instead, I took to the country lanes, along with other drivers, which was fine until a bus came the other way on a single track road.  Chaos ensued!  Sorted eventually, and amicably, so I was only 10 minutes later than usual at work, with others coming in complaining about the volume of traffic on the main routes.