The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Well that's nearly two hours of raking and dumping leaves, and I only did it a few days ago. Mind you, I did drag all the dead leaves and associated sludge out of the stream while I was at it. I head to crow, but we still have lovely blue sky and 8 deg. I don't think the plants know what to make of it, I found this one this morning at the bottom of the garden (the uncultivated bit!). It looks as though the slugs found it OK! 

post-7952-0-19412300-1415447225_thumb.jpg

Here's where I found it. Note the nicely raked path, hardly a leaf inside (apart from the yellow flags, must get around to cutting them back!).

post-7952-0-70803200-1415447232_thumb.jpg

Just in case you don't believe what wonderful weather we are having today ......

post-7952-0-97302700-1415447218_thumb.jpg

..... and since I took that, the clouds have even gone from the hills.

Now, back to the modelling.

John

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

PS when I was at Margam back in the early 1970s it never rained in the entire fortnight I was there.

It would have appeared to have made up for that oversight in the last 24 hours.

Although to be fair, it has stopped for the Wales v Australia rugby international this afternoon.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They're in the shed with all the other cr*p we never knew we didn't need. The texture's not too bad, although if I run out of fine emery paper...

One is under the impression that an a*se is meant to be wiped, not buffed up to a shiny finish.

I have to ask, that if this is the case, do you finish off with a rubbing of jeweller's rouge?

• RMweb Gold

Rang MiL (92) at the appropriate hour. "I'm in bed" says she " I've been in hospital with a chest infection." 3 days in dock, never given a bath, nor cleaned her teeth. Now she is home with antibiotics, can't really see, so has no idea of the time, where the tablets are, nor is able to remember whether she took some half an hour ago. Her late daughters, who bore her very little love, would put money on the certainty she survives, despite all that!

I had no idea golf was one of the so-called "extreme" sports. F1 sounds safer.

The 1940 golf play rules post put me in mind of a reported conversation between an RAF orderly whose main task was runway and peri track sweeper, bomb splinters for the removal of;  and a sergeant pilot on one of the operating aircraft. The sweeper was making more money than the pilot, mainly thanks to the extra hours, but then as he reminded the pilot "I have to keep working through the alerts". Still creases me up.

... 144 toilet rolls...

They are no more expesnive than regular loft insulation, but dual purpose. In the great bogroll shortage crisis of 2025 I shall be the one laughing.

• Like 1

Morning All,

Bloody cold. Why Mrs iD insists on sleeping with the window open is beyond me, it's not as though the house is hermetically sealed and CO2 levels are a concern. Furthermore, why do we have central heating if not to keep the house... and the bedroom... warm? So why open the window to admit gusts of frigid air?

Flavio - when you find out, let me know AND tell me the "cure" as Mrs. A is also a subscriber to this form of torture :O

Ever get the urge for one of these:

I do from time to time.........

Best, Pete.

Indeed I do - I've had the dream often :) I came close one, whilst living in Weybridge. Ian Allan had (has still I think in terms of it's still running, not sure who owns it) a large 7.5" gauge railway nearby on his farmland, and I volunteered there. Was mostly run by volunteers. Sadly (for me) I wasn't there long enough to become a driver, before I left for the US.

Was a lovely place though with some really nice locos of all sizes...

2 here and sunny, we're off to have breakfast and then a walk around the lake...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Indeed I do - I've had the dream often :) I came close one, whilst living in Weybridge. Ian Allan had (has still I think in terms of it's still running, not sure who owns it) a large 7.5" gauge railway nearby on his farmland, and I volunteered there. Was mostly run by volunteers. Sadly (for me) I wasn't there long enough to become a driver, before I left for the US.

Was a lovely place though with some really nice locos of all sizes...

Ah, a truly excellent little railway if I'm thinking of the one you're thinking of (see below) - we used to have 'fun days' there from my last big railway job as several of our folk were very heavily involved with the line and kept their engines there.  I usually seemed to finish up working Everglades Jcn signalbox which has a 31 lever frame laid out for two-man operation (but easy enough to work on your own if your memory is good enough not to bother with the train describers) although back then Cockrow Hill 'box was rather good fun to work as it had no locking  :O

http://www.cockcrow.co.uk/index.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ever get the urge for one of these:

I do from time to time.........

Best, Pete.

So much so I started to build one then children came along....... gave away the work I had done to a bloke in Derby who was retiring.

• Like 1

Lovely collection of locos there! Shame they did not include builders information....

I think Tom Miller’s house, extensive gardens, Several different railways (incl. fine scale 1:20.3), Big collection of marine and airplane models is still for sale. The workshops are enough to make Debs,  er, drool.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon.

I used to drive at a miniature passenger (public) hauling line, and also have a friend with a 7 1/4" Caley dock tank that we used to go all over with, when I lived across.  I miss the fun, Groudle is OK but you don't get to visit other folks lines with your loco!

The Dobwalls Forest Park line often gets mentioned here too, Debs went to school with one of the Southern boys, and her mum used to live right where the entrance gate was built years later.  I got a sneaky drive there too when we visited.  All gone now, the locos are in Australia I think.

• Like 4

You’re lucky I was going to say it would make her do something else.....

There are a couple of shots of it in the above “for sale” video. Tom makes his own loco’s, stock and PW.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

A few weeks ago we went to Ikea and bought a load of boxes for the stuff we have to store.

Now we've run out of boxes and still haven't used them for the stuff we were going to store in them

We've had to give up. We were just moving stuff from place to place. And then we ran out of places.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the perils of downsizing.  We went down about 70% in floor area when we moved here, I still have far too much junk, it's hard to be ruthless when clearing out but eventually you just have to chuck stuff.  You need it a week later of course.

• RMweb Premium

That's the problem - we haven't downsized. We just haven't got enough size for the stuff to live in.

Ah sorry, I thought you had!  Even worse, then!  I'd be sunk without my garage, which is 5.5m x 5.5m, with no cars in it.....but a big loft!

The caravan stuff is still in the lounge - that's what we're trying to put away. However the place from where we took the caravan stuff from at the start of the summer is now occupied by other stuff, and ..., and ...

And the house isn't that large to start off with.

• RMweb Premium

I have no idea how Debs gets all the stuff from the campervan into the miniscule storage space (or non-space) in our tiny modern 2 bed bungalow!  Opening the door to one cupboard is fraught with danger, it's known as the 'killer cupboard'!  As our previous residence was a rather imposing Edwardian end terrace you can imagine the amount of stuff we had to dispose of.