The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Unless you have unexpected guests and discover you only have one slice of bread left....

I know, I know....hat, coat and banished from ER for a few hours...   :jester:  :jester:

Is that when the guest's complain that the bread is so old it tastes like cardboard.

Jamie

Various reports;

1) Complaints department - result of getting hobby time to unbox, install decoder and run-in 34003 Plymouth

i) Has anyone EVER received a Hornby Bulleid loco that didn't need a replacement gear immediately? Ran like a total piece of CRAP out-of-the-box and bucked and stalled in reverse. Installed new/replacement main gear and is smooth as silk..I'm on my THIRD now that had lousy running out-of-the-box, because of a cracked main gear. Seems to me they could do a better job of QC on that part - oddly enough, the replacement ones I have (made the effort to get a couple in hand when I last had to order one) all seem to be good??

ii)  OK, so I LOVE my Bulleid light pacifics both air-smoothed and rebuilt, BUT I do wish Hornby could do a slightly better job of "tolerances" between the body and chassis on the rebuilt versions. It's fairly easy to remove the body - required to install decoder - but an absolute b*u*gger*er to put the bloody thing back together again, took the best part of literally 30-40 minutes to coax the chassis back into position while avoiding breaking off every last bit of detailing <grrr>

2) Work department

i) Bright side - project(s) seem to continue apace with little or no need for Andrew-isms, unlike Andrew himself. Hang in there Andrew, sometimes it's favourable at least!

ii) Excel has shown indications again that it may object to my somewhat pushing its limits - pity it doesn't crash MICROSOFTs computers when it goes t**ts up, then they'd probably fix it!!!

3) Fun department

i) See above for railway news - was nice to have another loco ex-works, albeit Plymouth IS the weathered version so not as ex-works as some are...running the loco was fun

ii) Choir practise short and sweet

iii) This evenings event is to attend the annual fund-raiser concert that the church puts on, "Cabaret", we're off to see that with several friends. We always have good local musicians at any of our events as we are blessed with some strong local artistic/musical connections. This year looks to be more exceiting than usual since it's the 25th Anniversary of the event and we are promised some surprises as well as "all the old favourites". I'm holding out for Prince (unlikely I know, but he does live here, shows up unexpectedly and does imprompute gigs AND our current keyboardist was with him a while back, so you never know!!). Then again even if he DID decide to show up, given he's always late even for his OWN parties, it'd probably be 2AM before he arrived and all the old farts (99% of those attending) would have given up and gone home anyway!

4) Standard Weather Report

8 and sunny this AM, same all day and expecting near record 20-21 for high

POETS day and will be observed, although Saturday does mean I'm in the dentist chair at 8:30 for my crown replacement - so no tea in bed tomorrow <sigh>

All those that work, POE, all those already savouring retirement/shopping/gardening/modelling/exercising, carry on :senile:

• Like 9

That would turn it into a monochromatic printer! – Boy, just mentioning this brings back memories of the good old computing days...

Hey!!! I speak, card reader, acoustic coupler, high-speed modem, dot-matrix printer, floppy disk (and I mean 8 1/2 and 5 1/4 here not those new fangled 800K things!)...fluently...

:jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Hi guys.  Back from golf having been hammered.  Bought two new front tyres that hammered my credit card and now someone on RMweb wants to ban all road going cars over 400hp.  Couldn't be bothered to argue.  He seems to have missed the point that it's the driver not the hp…..

Other than that, a weekend of woodwork beckons.  Finish my antibiotics tonight, so a beer may be supped tomorrow after two weeks of alcohol free living.

Sadly my SiL has taken a further turn for the worse and may not have long to go.  Puts everything else into perspective...

It's Friday evening and the weekend beckons.  Have a great one, whatever you're up to...

Edit:  Forgive me Lord, I've commented on fast cars.  I couldn't let it go….:-)

Edited by gordon s

Chucking it down now, second had rain from Killybegs presumably!  Did some work in the garage and almost started tidying up, but the enthusiasm isn't there for that mammoth task today!

Cheer up Neil, It was so nice and sunny this afternoon that I took the dogs for an early walk, so this delightful weather is on its way to you.....

post-7952-0-39969500-1414167426_thumb.jpg

....... then I looked over my shoulder. Sorry Neil, you're probably going to get this lot as well ......

post-7952-0-65135400-1414167438_thumb.jpg

We did just beat the rain back to the car.

Anyway, all is not lost, we have blue sky again now!

John

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I've done very little today. Robbie did get taken for a trip to the park. 

I did spend some time looking for saffron.(crocus stigma not a hippy houseguest).

I should have guessed it was hidden at the back of the top shelf in the cupboard I thought it would be in. At least I got the right cupboard. Aditi will be seeing her brother tomorrow and if she doesn't present her brother with some saffron and rice to put on his forehead their mother will be upset. A couple of days after Diwali, sisters are supposed to present their brother with saffron and a couple of grains of rice. He is supposed to give his sisters a nice present. 

There was no danger of not being able to find rice. We don't buy those little 500gram packs!

Tony

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

.  Bought two new front tyres that hammered my credit card  

I assume you didn't go for the ultra low profile winter rated type!

I suppose sometime in November I'll have to set off to the tyre shop with the four rather expensive ones we had fitted on the Fiesta last winter. Though I'm not sure when the temperature will drop to the temperature where they grip better. It still seems very mild down here on the Thames Riviera.

Tony

Restaurant  Running in Majorca

Courtesy of my cousin:

attachicon.gif_MG_334691.jpg

© Tim Everett

Best, Pete.

Blimey!

I've seen bars here that use a G gauge train to deliver drinks and even food... that looks like it'd be hard to get through the kitchen doors though :) :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel

Just got back from lunch, with Alan & Jane (old friends) at Coté Brasserie in Kingston. Absolutely excellent. Whitebait, steack frîtes and crumble des Pommes. Their grand-daughter (20 months) was a charmer.

Just off for a lie down, I think.

• Like 8

I assume you didn't go for the ultra low profile winter rated type!

I suppose sometime in November I'll have to set off to the tyre shop with the four rather expensive ones we had fitted on the Fiesta last winter. Though I'm not sure when the temperature will drop to the temperature where they grip better. It still seems very mild down here on the Thames Riviera.

Tony

Well they are ultra low profile front tyres.  255/35 ZR19's, but they are really for shifting water on motorways. Once they get down below 3mm, there is little or no channel left to move water and stop aquaplaning.  Definitely not for snow….

The best winter tyres must be fitted to white vans.  They allow you to drive at well over 70, no matter what the weather.

• Like 1

So, there I was taking a quick break at lunchtime and thinking of getting a couple of pictures of the layout for my thread, and discovered the track needs cleaning <sigh>

Bob - get OFF the bloody track!?!?!?!     :butcher:  :jester:

post-20244-0-93081100-1414180115_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.giffunny hippo 02.jpg

No comment....

Best, Pete.

Yes ,after half a bottle of Penderyn's finest, the ph was flying!

I remained more down to earth by consuming vast quantities of Bara birth and Welsh cakes.

Peppermint Hippo is much better than the more down market Spearmint Rhino, or the even more ghastly and cheap Bouji's

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cheer up Neil, It was so nice and sunny this afternoon that I took the dogs for an early walk, so this delightful weather is on its way to you.....

attachicon.gifFintra 22w.jpg

....... then I looked over my shoulder. Sorry Neil, you're probably going to get this lot as well ......

attachicon.gifFintra 25w.jpg

We did just beat the rain back to the car.

Anyway, all is not lost, we have blue sky again now!

John

We didn't get the sunny bit, just a slightly less wet hour!

Anecdote from the public library yesterday. There was a boy of perhaps 12 or 13 years sat in a reading corner. Then his mobile phone went off with a ringtone which translated as follows:

"May I have your attention. The most gorgeous man in the room is requested to answer his phone immediately."

How's that for vanity… :mosking:

My favourite 'ring tone event' occurred at a very boring lecture when a phone went off.  It started with two loud siren blasts, following by "WARNING, WARNING, you are standing next to a ring tone w*nker".  The whole audience dissolved in laughter, the ringtone owner was very embarrassed, and the boring lecturer was furious.

Not a good day as we heard at work today that one of our colleagues who had gone to Cyprus for 2 weeks holiday has suddenly passed away out there.  Quite shocking - he was only 62, and always seemed in good health. 

Blimey!

I've seen bars here that use a G gauge train to deliver drinks and even food... that looks like it'd be hard to get through the kitchen doors though :) :jester:

I’ll have some more of it later after I’ve spoken with him in London. I dunno what town it is.......

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Soller?

Apparently I got a mention on radio 2 for our railway show from Chris Evans.. Shame I missed it but autographs are available!....

Apologies. Hat, coat, parachute...gone!

• Like 1

Well, Gordon and Dom and Baz were right....

Here’s a couple more:  

post-9016-0-93160100-1414182379_thumb.jpg

© Tim Everett

post-9016-0-04746300-1414182422_thumb.jpg

© Tim Everett

I’ve only been to Majorca  once - when Franco was still in power and can remember nothing part from a Barmaid from Leeds (who had a better mustache than me). The rest was made hazy by demon booze...

Actually I wished it was the other way around hazy vision of Barmaid from Leeds and remembering what the hell else I got up to over there. I do remember a cafe proprietor refusing us re-entry (after one breakfast at 1;00pm) because he thought we were going to take all three of his daughter’s away with us.....aye those were the days alreet! Zep had nothing on us, mate!

Was the barmaid your Mum, Baz? Er......Hello Son!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 10

Evening all, 

Seeing that photo of Ian's Bob reminds of my only foray into EM  (well back in the late 60's)  I built a Cambrian based layout with an NG  feeder  on a trestle - I cant remember  which bit of the Cambrian it was based on.. Mother would leave my bedroom door ajar so the cat could get on the layout (on a shelf around three sides of my bedroom.) Trouble was the cat and I disagreed over his "squatters  rights" - I've still got the scars to prove it!   

Hey tomorrows Saturday,  lie in - pancake for breakies - fresh burger for lunch - what an exciting life?

Be good,

Trev.

• Like 5

Evening All,

Today was, for once, a real POETS day. And I took advantage of a sunny (though chilly) afternoon to take Lucy out for a spin. She's settling in nicely, though progress needs to be made with her obedience (e.g. she understands "warten" [wait/stay] and obeys for about 5 seconds or so). Her most grievous failing is to wake me up at 03:30 for her early morning widdle. Mrs iD and the HM went to the holiday hovel, so Lucy and I have been "bonding". After dinner tonight we watched a recorded episode of Into The Monsoon and shared some pistachio nuts. She seemed particularly mesmerised by the footage of hunting Leopards.

I received one taker on my offer of a bespoke building and a maybe on another (I await reply on my PM to the latter). The definite yes was for a yard office in 7mm. Should be fun to build. I'll post pics.

I've only ever been to Iberia thrre times, twice on business: Barcelona and Lisbon were business destinations and as I was there for work I saw little of either place (although the hotel I was dumped in in Lisbon was fantastic, easily 5**** plus). Oporto was my long weekend in Portugal, topped and tailed with a private flight in a DC3 from GVA. OK, a DC3 isn't in the same class as a Learjet (or a Sheik's A380), but it was nonetheless a taste of private international flying. Once you have had such a flight (completely hassle-free, departure to meet one's own schedule, high quality catering on board), commercial will never have the same appeal again. OK, Ryanair may have gotten me from GVA to Oporto faster, but not in retro-style and elegance. Nor would such a LCC have a decent Champagne on board... Ah the joys of having friends in the aviation industry.

Alas, such days are past. If a destination can't be reached by car with doggies in the back, then it's no longer a holiday destination for us.

G'night All