The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening.  Sidecar racer will be pleased to know there are no oxymorons with Fraggle Rock weather this evening, it is peeing across.  Not as across as it was at 4, but still pretty wild.  If Pete has gone past, I wouldn't have seen him anyway as he would have been going too fast!

Combi boiler is on the fritz now, and it may be terminal. Service for it (not church type!) was already arranged for Friday, let's hope he can find something other than the feared problem, heat exchanger leaking.  Pants.  Don't need that sort of expense after just going part time!

Oxymoron alert . 

Now make your mind up , was it down or sideways ????   :jester:

I humbly apologise if the use of the vernacular caused you some confusion. Chucking it along or pi**ing along doesn't have quite the same ring! :blum:

John

• RMweb Gold

Oh, I love Ian A's thoughts on a commission for iD, oddly I was wondering last night if I could afford to ask him to do Croydon.....similar architecture, a bit smaller.  Joint request?

Having read Gordon's posts about the future of ET and Pete's (Trisonic) about linked modules I decided I'd start something new for the winter. The Midlands early BR thing in the garage is complete enough for trains to run but needs a lot of detail adding. I can't say I'm enthusiastic about being in the garage over winter so I've bought a couple of 6 foot baseboards inside and I'm going to make a terminus based on the Minories track layout but with a couple of extra features. I'm going for a terminus with "alight here for marine services". 

1930s style architecture but post war choo choos. It can be integrated back into the roundy roundy if necessary later. If I get stuck with buildings I know where to ask now!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Mmm, I have the same aversion to the cold of the garage.  The problem is living in a downsized 2 bed bungalow, there's not really anywhere for a winter project....not AND stay married! The Minories thing is right up my idea street, but in my case with parcels facilities much expanded, and perhaps carriage/EMU sidings facing the station throat, a bit Bradfield perhaps, without the fancy pointwork which is beyond me.  Peco code 75 will have to do, and a very '30's art deco concrete architecture look to it all.  To this end I have been collecting EMU's (currently 6 and a kit to build) and many parcels vehicles for some time, and a couple of Southern steamers for extras.  All I need is.....space, money, time, etc!

• Like 1

Aditi said this morning she intended to leave at 5pm today but rang at 5.30 to let me know she would be at work for a few more hours. She spent 5 hours sorting out two students and is now working through what she planned to do today. She hasn't sacked anyone today. She has asked her admin manager to find a bigger desk for her though. 

Tony

Gawd, it’s like being in the private sector. When my wife worked for KPMG she frequently was not home until 2:30am - the difference being that she was on $250k per annum. She earned every freaking penny so far as I was concerned...

Best, Pete.

Mmm, I have the same aversion to the cold of the garage.  The problem is living in a downsized 2 bed bungalow, there's not really anywhere for a winter project....not AND stay married! The Minories thing is right up my idea street, but in my case with parcels facilities much expanded, and perhaps carriage/EMU sidings facing the station throat, a bit Bradfield perhaps, without the fancy pointwork which is beyond me.  Peco code 75 will have to do, and a very '30's art deco concrete architecture look to it all.  To this end I have been collecting EMU's (currently 6 and a kit to build) and many parcels vehicles for some time, and a couple of Southern steamers for extras.  All I need is.....space, money, time, etc!

I like the Minories plan - the only issue I have with it is you have to like EMU's going backwards and forwards - unless you like a steam engine plus two coaches max....

One of the joys of modeling the US scene is that it liberates you from needing a passenger station on your layout. Frees up a lot of space in small layouts.

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yes Pete, but my Minories will be Bigories, with 4 car EMU's,  5 coach loco hauled trains and everything expanded to suit. 

The inspiration: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28198-bradfield-gloucester-square-br-1962-ish/page-27

My US layout did have a station, but the NH was of course a passenger line.  The station however does seem to have been closed, hasn't had a passenger train for years and the coaches are all off the layout!  It is only a small feature really, and was only there to run the PA's and C-Liners, and in reality is the run around loop for the freight yard.

Stations really do seem to be almost a pre-requisite on UK layouts, not sure why that should be - they take up a lot of space.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 3

Gawd, it’s like being in the private sector. When my wife worked for KPMG she frequently was not home until 2:30am - the difference being that she was on $250k per annum. She earned every freaking penny so far as I was concerned...

Best, Pete.

Your wife got home at 2:30pm. She was lucky  ............. etc., etc. (with apologies to secret policemen or whoever)

John

The inspiration: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28198-bradfield-gloucester-square-br-1962-ish/page-27

My US layout did have a station, but the NH was of course a passenger line.  The station however does seem to have been closed, hasn't had a passenger train for years and the coaches are all off the layout!  It is only a small feature really, and was only there to run the PA's and C-Liners, and in reality is the run around loop for the freight yard.

Do you know I forgot about the New Haven connection, Big D’oh!  I stopped at New Haven Station a couple of months ago - it services several decent Universities as well as long distance commuters......

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Sandy's home after a pretty difficult journey from Cornwall. She'd have been better to hoist a sail!

Me getting home after late teaching was interesting with trees shedding leaves with branches attached and a failed set of traffic lights where the A5 crosses the M42. Fortunately could get onto the back way.

• RMweb Gold

My rough layout using Peco large radius points gets the "throat" pointwork into about 5 foot. Enough platform for 6 car dmus (well as Southend was once LMS I can run Midland Pullman seaside specials to my fictional location somewhere on the Thames!) should suffice, so about another 7 feet.  I can keep the layout in a dismantled state in Matthew's room. He really doesn't mind. He said as long as he can get to his bed and computers he doesn't care what else is in there.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8

Seems to be a lot of talk about trains on here. Steady! 

Tony, looking forward to hearing more about Minories-on-Sea! 

The station on my new layout "Roding Lane" (well, it's a working title) is somewhat smaller. Most of the action is freight. It's 6' x 18" in size. 

In for a penny, here's a couple of photos of what I've been up to in between nattering on ER. The brickwork has now been weathered but it's a bit parky to go back outside and take a photo of that tonight.  

post-4299-0-70977800-1413924767.jpg

post-4299-0-47104600-1413924809.jpg

• Like 8

Item on lunchtime news said a lady was killed by a falling tree somewhere in London this morning. EDIT http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29700594

A friend of mine came perilously close to meeting the same fate. Fortunately he'd stopped to talk to a neighbour just before the tree came down in his path.

The wind had died down here and it seems the fence is still intact. It's a tad chilly though.

All this layout talk is a bit worrying. Makes me feel like I should build one (or possibly two because I can't see 21st century Austria and the LNER co-habiting).

• RMweb Gold

All this layout talk is a bit worrying. Makes me feel like I should build one (or possibly two because I can't see 21st century Austria and the LNER co-habiting).

There was one in the Modeller recently, U shaped, LNER terminus one side Italian terminus the other each was used as a fiddle yard when the other was being operated. Might suit you.

Don

• Like 2

There was one in the Modeller recently, U shaped, LNER terminus one side Italian terminus the other each was used as a fiddle yard when the other was being operated. Might suit you.

Don

I've seen it. It does sound like a fun idea but space is lacking.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, cricket completed (there are some total nutters out playing tonight in both a nice and a scary way(!))

Wind has abated.. water levels going down in garden.... some interesting comments from the "Militant Railway Modeller" - amusing that someone is such an attention seeker....

Hope all is well in the world for you for the rest of the week.. as it is it is now Wednesday and time for bed...

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Dark, windy and dreich outside. Coffee steaming in front of me. Did manage to catch up with at least some of that sleep which I did not get the night before. Hope you all came out of this inclement weather all right!

Have a good one…

Morning all. A sleepless night for me sadly, damn back pain. Oh well plenty of caffeine then out to my art class later. 

Mention of military railways makes me think of plans for an 009 military store micro layout I had/have on the back burner. Though I'm more focused on Southern EMUs atm...

Good morning one & all, 

I seem to think theres another "fun" filled action day ahead for me. .....saga of the "crane &  wheel re-inventor " continues... gets an email yesterday from him saying the box will be arriving tomorrow . OK but what about PO for the crane ? " It's too expensive" - OK so the box sits on the truck then? -   end user is not going to be very happy! 

Oh well 'ump day  lets make the most of it....

Trev

Morning All,

I am slightly later on parade this morning, on account of the fact that somebody decided to make an excursion into the scenery on the stretch of road through the forest, and the resulting traffic jam delayed us by about half an hour.  Still, we arrived safely - which is the main thing.

The storm wasn't quite as bad as had been suggested here.  We had some pretty strong winds, but nothing on the scale of the UK.

It is nice to see talk of Minories - it is one of my favourite layout plans, but I would struggle to find the room, and the long term motivation to model it!  I have always thought of building a Minories based layout "somewhere off the North London line" featuring five coach loco-hauled Trains (and Multiple Units) and urban grot.

Have a good day everyone...

This is a quickie. Dogs walked. Now off to take Steph to work. Why? We are off down to Tipperary after lunch to see friends (who came over for a family funeral at the weekend) before they go back to Australia and Canada. We'll be driving back up after breakfast. It's a long way to Tipperary! No breakfast today yet, as I am back into the surgery at nine to do bloods. By then I will be starving!

John

• RMweb Gold

Morning, all very quiet here this morning as the winds have moved on. Quite a few trees down locally but no one hurt thankfully.

A few odd jobs to do then time in the shed maybe with the fire on which makes it nice and cosy.

If we have heavy rain  though it sounds like I'm in a war zone as I got fed up with replacing felt and put lightweight corrugated metal sheets on the roof. No leaks in 5 years just the sound effects!

Enjoy your day folks