The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Eeh when I was a lad I carried the bins (steel, round,rubbish for disposal of) to wherever the bin motor driver had parked! Kept you fit! None of the namby pamby wheelie bins of today! It was a case of power lift the bin and contents onto shoulder then carry, empty and return unless I t was bust then the bin went in as well!

Happy days working at Crimdon Lido as a student!

• Like 6

Wheelie Bins are a topic here too.

After all the expense and fuss of littering an award winning village with plastic bins (some do not have any front gardens - think artisan cottages) the Council are now planning to charge £50 a year to empty the Green Bin (compost).

This will have huge (and obvious) consequences.

Very busy day today.

The huge Male Voice Choir are performing in the village this evening.

Fully booked.

Cheese and Wine afterwards with a great Raffle.

As Chairman I have lots to do - mainly carrying chairs about.

Bad back tomorrow.

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. SWMBO off for a training day, so home alone with rabbits and kitties. Planning to watch Thunderball in a few.

Cheese and Wine afterwards with a great Raffle.

What's for win? More cheese and wine?

• Like 2

Circa late 70s in South London, I remember my parents had an old steel framed bin with a lid. Into this was fitted a strong brown paper sack. My father used to have to remember to unlock the back gate on collection day as the binmen would wander up the path, remove the old sack and refit a new one into the frame. I appreciate the productivity of the binmen must have been rubbish (pardon the pun) having to do that all day long, but weren't some things just better then? Another rose-tinted moment from me. Some days when I wake up I'm 74, not 47...

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, looks dry out there after last nights weird lumpy rain a bit like someone playing with a hosepipe, Kittens fed so on with the chores and outside work..... Yes Pete things were better then workers got their biggest share of the cash at that time. So anybody with a job felt good.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yes, of course. In other border stations (such as Brennero, if memory serves) there may also be switchable catenary sections so that motive power from either side can use the full length of the platforms. Of course, trying to duplicate the shunting operations required to get DC only locos back from AC territory and vice-versa might be an intriguing sight in its own right!

It's called a 'gare commutable'  (in French, can't be bothered to plough through the good book to look up what it is in other languages).  Aachen was arranged in this way, at some platforms, following the electrification in the 1960s although I think it might have been changed according to what laddo said following his recent trip that way.  Now picture this little episode - a Eurostar set enroute to an exhibition in Germany (Koln) runs into Aachen consuming Belgian voltage, the pans are lowered and a DB loco arrives to couple on to haul the set forward to destination.  In the cab of the Eurostar are a British Driver and Traction Inspector and a Belgian Driver and Traction Inspector and a DB Traction Inspector arrives to explain what will now happen, the German Inspector can only speak German, the Belgian Inspector can speak Flemish, French (although he probably denies it), and some English.  So the English Inspector translates what the German Inspector is saying into English for the benefit of the Belgian Inspector and everybody gets along just fine - international railway operating is such fun.  It's even more fun when you attend a meeting in a language you don't speak (although spoken Flemish isn't too difficult to follow in a subject you know something about), oh my - all my yesterdays.

Anyway back to today and it's warm but much wetness is promised so once ablutions are out of the way it will be a Tesco visit on behalf of the management followed by a trip to Didcot with the good Doctor to attend the small exhibition organised by the Abingdon MRC.  The latter is usually an excellent little event and this year has 14 layouts - many of them being fairly small, as the community centre isn't very big.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 5

A lot of rain in the night but blue sky this morning. Very windy, lots of white horses on the sea. Nearly got blown away walking the dogs, they don't seem to notice.

As there is nowhere handy for the bin lorry to turn round further down the road, about a dozen households bring their wheelie bins/waste bags to the end of our drive. This is fine until something gets spilled and we have to clear it up. A couple of years ago the bin men got a bit militant and if they thought a bin had been over filled they would empty some out on the road and leave it there. Needless to say there were a few irate telephone calls. Our refuse/recycling collection is carried out by a private company, so we have to pay for the privilege of clearing up after them!

I think the council must have decided they have a bit of money to spare this year after all as they came and cut the verges and hedges yesterday, something they previously 'couldn't afford to do' this year.

Off to see Christie Moore this evening. Don't fancy the drive back afterwards so we are taking the motorhome.

Have a pleasant weekend.

John

Morning all. SWMBO off for a training day, so home alone with rabbits and kitties. Planning to watch Thunderball in a few.

What's for win? More cheese and wine?

Wine certainly - lots of it.

A Free MOT

£40 Theatre tickets

Tesco Voucher

Binoculars

and other valuable stuff.

Not bad for a little village.

• Like 5

Morning all,

Another short post as I have to do some work with my son and his lovely lady - the reason for the short notice visit is that they have come up with a superb business idea and needed my advice(?). The lass in question is Taiwanese and to conduct a business in the UK she has to obtain an 'Entrepreneurial Visa' which isn't an easy task so I'm off now to go through the relevant paperwork with them. Should be suffering brain fade any time soon!

Pete(trisonic), thanks for the message and lovely vid. which I enjoyed this morning - always felt that 'Artur' had a beautiful touch on the 'ebony and ivory'!

Hope you all have a pleasant weekend and avoid the worst ravages of the promised storms, particularly in the West,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Hope we hear from Sherry or Ian soon, presumably she is awaiting connection to the net?

• RMweb Gold

Quiet here at the moment.

Thanks to Big Jim and his high level photos I invested in a device to control my camera using my phone - basically a remote control for the shutter, so I spent some time practicing candid bird photography, not bad for a first effort and I learnt a fair bit about how to setup the camera, so when the sun shines again (March ?) I'll try some more.

post-6662-0-05764900-1413635137_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-04960500-1413635142_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-12363200-1413635146_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-35540900-1413635150_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-29971100-1413635156_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-04742800-1413635162_thumb.jpg

As I was uploading the photos a green woodpecker was helping himself to some of our worms.

post-6662-0-90496100-1413635254_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Weather here a bit variable, and might or might not rain - Exeter Seaweed Obervation Team seem to say no rain so it should be here soon.

As ever, it's taking a long time to get up to speed, and today I have found that an old mate with whom I was in a band for some years has been in hospital for most of this year with cancer.  Yet another of the good guys fighting this b&stard disease.  Sadly, I'm in Lancashire and he's in Sussex, so a quick trip to see him is not just a short run round the corner, regrettably.  He's a fine, fine musician, I just hope that he has the fighting spirit of Jock and others, who are tackling cancer head on.  Oddly, the mention of Christy Moore by John prompted more memories today, as Christy is one performer that Pete never worked with from the enormous plethora of Celtic musicians with whom he did.

Other than that, not a lot happening here today, other than a trip to town that was unprecedented - bus on time both ways - unheard of.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

All this talk about neutral sections....it was noticeable that the station pilot was a diesel!

attachicon.gifP1050732 (Large).JPG

Which apparently had to rescue this E as it didn't manage to drift through the section.

attachicon.gifP1050740 (Large).JPG

Ventigmilia is an interesting one where the 25Kv French system meets the 3000vDC Italian system.  As all the French stock is dual voltage the station area is wired at 1500vDC .  No problem for the French stuff which changes over just outside town and the Italian stuff just starts gently on reduced voltage.

Jamie.

Fine on a down-hill section - you can coast - but a bit of a bu99er if the section is up-hill! :jester:

Take it from me, there's NO such thing as "downhill" in Switzerland! Trust me, I learnt the hard way (cycling) even when you are going downhill, it's still UPhill.

Picked up Lucy today, name change was fast (she now comes when called as Lucy), she's still too stressed from the move and the new environment to obey more than "sit" and "down". HM predictably jealous, but only when Mrs iD has Lucy and not him on the line. Once they were both home, there was much wrestling of the two dogs as they established their hierarchy. The drama still has to full play itself out, but is going well so far (although there was an indoor "protest puddle" from Lucy when Mrs iD ignored in favour of Schotty). Still LOTS of work to do and progress to make, but Lucy is much calmer than Schotty was when we first got him?

She really smelled bad when we got her, she's now had a mini shower and shampoo and smells a bit better!

Will post pictures tomorrow

Have a great evening.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, Debs - here's one now!

attachicon.gifP1060099 (Large).JPG

Is that Chur Station, Neil?

Re border stations: ISTR that semi-fasts for Italian destinations terminating and originating in Domodossola are always formed such that the loco is on the Italian side of the voltage break.

Spaghetti carbonara had for dinner. Now back to the 24th century.