The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Where's the That's daring button. :tomato:

Polly

Do you know...I forgot to place a train in that last photo? No wonder she's not reacting! 

Dare I? DARE I?....   :angel:  :nono:  :angel:  :nono:

Oh..the devil is at my elbow...  :devil: ....and I am but a weak man. :) 

post-4299-0-33953000-1413456902.jpg

• Like 7

Pounding rain overnight. which helped the “garden” but means I’ll have to cut the grass within a couple of days. 

Forecast for today: High 71f, Low of 54f. Cloudy with chance of a shower am, Partly sunny pm.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

And a special g'day to Don - hope things continue to improve for you.

Running somewhat late - I actually managed to get up and take my aunytbiotick capsule at 07.40 but then  - having given the cats their second breakfast - it was back to bed, until some metal minnie called 'Jessica Ryan' called at 09.15 inquiring (again) about 'your car accident in the past 2 years'; as she had, it seems, taken my advice of a couple of days ago to 'go forth and multiply in the hope she might enjoy it' this time I simply replied with a word very similar in meaning to gonads.  Finally up at c.11.00 as the pestering cats were by then demanding their third breakfast.

Really must do some vacuum cleaning before the management gets back tonight as the ginger fur is almost ankle deep on the runner in the hall.  Bright and sunny with large patches of blue sky outside, definite improvement on last night's rain but I still await the weather armageddon promised by the Daily Wail (but strangely not by either the Met Office or the BBC).

Have a nice day (what's left of it - well quite a lot left if you live in 'merica I s'pose).

• Like 3

Busy day here which is why it's not the morning!

Good to see Don back (on page 3000 - what a good piece of timing) and hope that Jock's oncology appointment is similarly positive.

Today was the day that Ocado opened the delivery bookings for Christmas. Only there was an error with the site, and the Mrs was working....so I had to spend time trying until they had corrected the error. Still, all is well now, and we can take our time building up the most enormous order! The in-laws are staying so that means plenty of red wine (or perhaps better put, even more red wine!). We signed up to Ocado when the Mrs was expecting the younger lurker. "it's transformed my life" she said at the time. They're generally very reliable, for turning up, completeness of order, and in-date goods. But instead of dreading going shopping, I now dread the unpacking of said delivery, putting food in the wrong order in the fridge etc. The grass is always greener....

A bit of blue sky and a few grey clouds here, but rain forecast later. A few beers expected this evening with a colleague who is over from New Orleans, so that should be good.

I've never shot a real gun - I did have a go at laser clay pigeon shooting a few years back, but as I am right handed but with a stronger left eye, it was all very awkward. Needless to say I wasn't very good, but I've a finely honed excuse for my incompetence. Mind you when paintballing I found I could hit people...!

• Like 8

I still await the weather armageddon promised by the Daily Wail (but strangely not by either the Met Office or the BBC).

Those nasty foreigners bringing their weather over here. What's wrong with good old fashioned British weather? And don't get me started on the EU - imposing their crazy measuring systems on us. I heard that a rain cloud was closed down because it wanted to rain in inches, but that was illegal, had to be centimetres. We fought a war to stop all this, y'know.

• RMweb Gold

Today was the day that Ocado opened the delivery bookings for Christmas. Only there was an error with the site, and the Mrs was working....so I had to spend time trying until they had corrected the error. Still, all is well now, and we can take our time building up the most enormous order! The in-laws are staying so that means plenty of red wine (or perhaps better put, even more red wine!). We signed up to Ocado when the Mrs was expecting the younger lurker. "it's transformed my life" she said at the time. They're generally very reliable, for turning up, completeness of order, and in-date goods. But instead of dreading going shopping, I now dread the unpacking of said delivery, putting food in the wrong order in the fridge etc. The grass is always greener....

We were  at Aditi's sister's house a few weekends ago and her Ocado order was delayed as the distribution centre had been hit by lightning. Anyway it all turned up and was put out on the kitchen worktop. I assumed it was a whole month's shopping but I was informed it was for one week. 

Christmas shopping can get hectic here as we get told that no-one will be visiting us at Christmas and then suddenly, in mid December, requests arrive from Aditi's family so I end up providing a traditional turkey based meal, a traditional fish based meal and of course the traditional vegetable based meal. We have had visitors at short notice (from California) who would like a "traditional British Christmas" but not turkey as they "get that all the time". They got goose, I'm not doing that again!

Aditi did ask if I would like to go away (not by myself!) at Christmas but I think  we will carry on as usual for a few years, or at least this year.

• Like 3

Have a nice day (what's left of it - well quite a lot left if you live in 'merica I s'pose).

Afternoon all, glad to see that Don is back with us. Mike's post reminded me of something I read about the naming of the continent of America. It is generally the view, or at least we have been brainwashed into thinking, that America is named after Amerigo Vespucci. That Italian navigator supposedly landed there and named the land he had "found" after himself, as one does. So why isn't it called Vespuccia? I can't think of any other country that is named after the "finder's" Christian name. 

Which leads me to the claim that the continent is named after a Bristol merchant named A'Merrick who funded a voyage of exploration that also "found" the continent. Must look up the name of the captain who generously gave the country the name of his backer. 

I think I read in a Terry Pratchett book they were all "Land thieves waving flags". Which about sums up the "finding" and "discovering" business.

Anyway, enjoy your day.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Which leads me to the claim that the continent is named after a Bristol merchant named A'Merrick who funded a voyage of exploration that also "found" the continent. Must look up the name of the captain who generously gave the country the name of his backer. 

Giovanni Caboto, a resident of Venezia?

So, let me see, in order (hopefully);

Welcome back Don, good that you're at least able to read the bumbling trivia and insignifica we generate again - though maybe not so good for your mental well-being! :) :jester:

Rats!! I missed the entire 3000th. page - I was so hoping to get a post in there - note to self, get up WAY earlier when we get to 4000!

...An aside. On request, I made a toad-in-the-hole, yesterday.  As it was a very long time since I last made one, I looked up a recipe.  It was OK, but I wasn't impressed so texted Mum for hers.  Should've done that in the first place...

Polly, would you be prepared to share that recipe with me? It's one of those things I figured there was "always plenty of time to do/get" before my mum died and it never happened - I'd love a decent real English-mum recipe. If you don't want to share it with everyone/clutter up ER with such important stuff, you can email it :)

Gordon - 6 Oatlands Drive...that'd be basically in Walton right at the crossroads with New Zealand Ave! If that's the case, I had the dubious pleasure of attending a party about 4 houses away on New Zealand Ave in about the same time period, summer in '68 - "dubious" in that I managed to puke all over the roses in the front garden after partaking of some very suspect appetisers that were being served :O

Yay!! Package expected arrived yesterday - <warning - TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN - well, at least a locomotive>

post-20244-0-13850100-1413468775_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-93028100-1413468776_thumb.jpg

Supposedly quite a rarity/hard to find item, she's never been out of the box beyond what you see here, all the packing blocks still in place/intact and the tissue in original position (no tears etc.) so right now I've a MINT, as delivered by Hornby, loco - ready for a decoder and running in :senile: maybe I should KEEP it this way as a "collectable", then again I'm NOT a "collector", unless someone wants to offer me a million quid for it :jester:  :jester:

Oooo, it is NICE, all that lovely factory weathering - that actually looks good IMHO, and not one of these "crapped on by a folck of seagulls" types!

OK - enough "trains", I'm sure both Andy and myself will incurr some Deb-wrath soon enough... :butcher:

3C when I got up and put the BINS out this morning (happy BIN day everyone!!), and remarkably is going to hit 20-21 today before returneing to a more seasonable 10-12 for maximums the next 5 days at least...

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

- I'd love a decent real English-mum recipe. If you don't want to share it with everyone/clutter up ER with such important stuff, you can email it :)

You wouldn't want any of my Mum's recipes! She used to love coming here for some nice meals!

• RMweb Premium

I, too, would be interested in the Toad in the Hole recipe. Pretty please! :)   :read:  :good: 

Re: naming of America, it does make you wonder. If Cabot named the country after his backer, might not Vespucci have done likewise? 

United States of Medicia, anyone? United States of Lorenzo?  

:dontknow:

G'day all,

Really must do some vacuum cleaning before the management gets back tonight as the ginger fur is almost ankle deep on the runner in the hall.  Bright and sunny with large patches of blue sky outside, definite improvement on last night's rain but I still await the weather armageddon promised by the Daily Wail (but strangely not by either the Met Office or the BBC).

It’s Rainmageddon!!

Actually it is mentioned by the BBC, Mike: http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/29644799

A US Forecaster opined that he doubted whether anyone in the UK would notice any difference from the horrible weather you’ve already had this month....

I’m sure that the you lot will get through this and survive - it will be followed up by an extra tropical hurricane, though, but. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/145047.shtml?tswind120#contents

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Just got my fifth wasp sting - this time on my hand, on the pad at the base of my index finger. Full on. I was taking the brush attachment off the vacuum without realising there was a live wasp stuck in the bristles...

Julie had a go at spraying wasp killer up the chimney a couple of hours earlier. We now have a living room full of seriously pissed of wasps.

That happened because the photo expedition was cancelled due to rain and we decided to rearrange the living room instead (as you do) and I had been hoovering the stonework. Woodburners are very romantic, but they don't half make a mess.

At least it gets me out of cooking dinner, although Julie has warned me against milking it.

Did I mention that yesterday I saw a Border Collie herding cows on their way to the milking shed? The cows, who can find their own way without a problem of course, weren't all that impressed.

• Like 2

Afternoon all, glad to see that Don is back with us. Mike's post reminded me of something I read about the naming of the continent of America. It is generally the view, or at least we have been brainwashed into thinking, that America is named after Amerigo Vespucci. That Italian navigator supposedly landed there and named the land he had "found" after himself, as one does. So why isn't it called Vespuccia? I can't think of any other country that is named after the "finder's" Christian name. 

I think I read in a Terry Pratchett book they were all "Land thieves waving flags". Which about sums up the "finding" and "discovering" business.

Anyway, enjoy your day.

My Sicilian Father-in-Law's name was Carmelo Alongi, but he introduced himself to people as Alongi Carmelo, ie family/surname first, then given/Christian name which is the norm in many countries. Interestingly it did not seem to be the case in the North of Italy.

@ Trisonic Pete, do you have any experience of this?

Ed

Yes I always say “Bond, James Bond”.

No, honestly,  James is right, my Mother drummed into me when I was a kid: “Last name first, then given name and last repeated - and never, ever give yourself a Title..."

Which is very true have you noticed that prats always introduce themselves as "Mr. So and So” - actually they immediately become prats in my eyes....Don’t do it!!!!

Best, Pete.

Afternoon all,

Back from the hospital and happy! My one kidney appears to be coping well and I'm back on the chemo for another month. They've booked me another CT scan to check for deterioration caused by the tumours in my bones (the theory being that because the cancer is the same type as that in the diseased kidney they removed, it should continue to inhibit advance in the bones!) The only downside is having to drink lots of water (what's that?). They are also juggling my blood pressure medication to get it a bit higher - I now check and record it twice daily. Blew the oncologist away when I presented him with a graphical record of the last months results!

Big thank you to all of you for the good wishes, it truly does bolster my resolve to beat the b**tard for as long as I can!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Just got my fifth wasp sting - this time on my hand, on the pad at the base of my index finger. Full on. I was taking the brush attachment off the vacuum without realising there was a live wasp stuck in the bristles...

At least it gets me out of cooking dinner, although Julie has warned me against milking it.

I'm not even going there. 

OK, I am. 

Seriously, how do you milk a wasp? 

Answer: carefully?

Re surnames my first boss taught me that when answering the phone we simply repeated back our phone number and surname. I believe I had the same 4 digit phone number at work for about 15 years. Hmmm, maybe I'll have that as my epitaph. :) 

I wonder what would happen if I phoned that number now...? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Do you know...I forgot to place a train in that last photo? No wonder she's not reacting! 

Dare I? DARE I?....   :angel:  :nono:  :angel:  :nono:

Oh..the devil is at my elbow...  :devil: ....and I am but a weak man. :)

attachicon.gif016.JPG

Ah! But that's what the imagination's for - and I'm sure we all saw it.  :jester: