The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't want to be one of GrandadBob's brain cells this morning - sounds like quite a session. :swoon:  

Hah! The slight muzziness between the ears has gone so there is now a large void - Ergo - no brain cells left.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

AndyB, I doubt any of these old Italian electrics would win any such contest. They do have a lot of character, though!

There also is a brass kit for the E.330 around:

Mus_Scienza_Tecnica_loco_E.330.JPG

(Image by Wikipedia user "Friedrichstrasse", CC-BY-SA 3.0 licence)

Unfortunately, it'd cost me about 450 €...

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 10

I had cornflakes. Second cup of coffee coming up. I'm letting Julie sleep in as her legs have been bad just lately and she needs a rest. Bayeux has been postponed - too much walking - and a shopping trip to Vire is postulated for pm.

Best wishes to all the ailing, I hope the day brings improvement.

I have friends who live near Vire - such a lovely town - so I hope to take Ian there one day.

Enjoy!

• Like 5

Phil, have you ever tried glucosamine for your arthritis? I find it makes a lot of difference to my shoulder and hip. Especially in damp cold weather. Even after 11 years I'm still not used to the humidity and dampness.  

AndyB, all the thanks should go to Ian and his usual crew. They do such a great job lugging their layouts around from show to show. I'm just happy to help them pack up on occasion in return for a couple of hours play time. That said, I get to do it all over again next Sunday @ Uckfield with Santa Barbara.

Debs, with all the love and respect I can muster, after those fowl puns, I suggest you flock off. :butcher:

Bill, the boring borough isn't really that borzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 4

Mornin all, the trouble with cups of beverage is that they are finished before you start. Flu  jab later.

Laurence

Agreed. I always have my "proper" morning coffee in a dainty little bone china mug 'cos I'm a bit of a sissy like that, but when it comes to tea, a certain well-known online sports retailer sends a freebie giant mug with every order. Lovely. That reminds me, I quite fancy a litre of tea... trouble is, I'd need at least a dozen biscuits to go with it!

post-17811-0-29838000-1413198364.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a question for the other cat owners on here - do yours also love to hunt flies? Our Kiki is very fond of that (as evidenced by numerous smear marks from squashed insects on the window panes).

Yes our Minnie hunts flies and any other insects that invade her space.   According to last week's cat watch on BBC2 it's entirely instinctive behaviour.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Robbie catches insects and stalks spiders but 19kg of working cocker probably isn't as elegant about it as a cat.

His nose art used to decorate the patio doors but he doesn't get so close since we installed vertical blinds.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jamie,

You and Paul have shown true Christian spirit in looking after Tony so well. I may be an atheist but I do have a well developed social conscience! I firmly believe that there is a dearth of such good deeds these days, and the world is a poorer place for it. We are very lucky to have many supportive people within the RMweb, and particularly ERs. Your kindness deserves a 'very well done' ratings button!

Kind regards,

Jock.

To Jock, Skipepsi and all the others who commented on my post about Tony I feel i must point out that it is very much a cooperative effort between many club members who have helped support Tony over the past year or so.  I've found over the years that our club has been very supportive to it's older members.   Many club members are either single older men, many of them widowers, It strikes me that many clubs perform an often vital welfare function and that this could be a mens of possible getting charitable status.   I suppose it goes in hand with building layouts as a cooperative team of volunteers.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Dom, Stop it! I love those old turd colored Eyetalian locos!

The only thing stopping me is building the OHLE...................

Cheers, Pete.

Well it would provide a use for old guitar strings...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Again, it's taken a long time to catch up with all the posts that have been put on over the last day or so, and as ever, it's difficult to pick out the ones that warrant a comment as there's too many to single any out, so as usual, it's a general purpose greeting/commiseration/whatever from me.

Yesterday, 30747 commented that I needed a haircut, despite my protestations that I had one eight weeks ago, so a trip into town via messrs Stagecoach was indicated.  It's not getting any easier to get in and out of Lancaster at the moment as the work to improve the sewers is still blocking up the main route into the town.  Also the rest of the town centre is still looking like a building site, and much of the North side of the town, and the land around the M6 junctionis looking like the far side of the moon - I have no idea what visitors to here must think.

Like many others,we are now using some form of heating in the evenings, and are running the stove for about 3/4 hours a night, but I think we are about three weeks behind when we started last year - I think it was mid September.

Fire now wanting setting and lighting, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

After yesterday's jaunts along the M6 and M42 yesterday, to and from Stoneleigh, it was back to the drudge of commuter traffic.

What took me 85 minutes on Sunday morning took me 135 mins this morning.

Coming back the traffic was even worse, and not wanting to get home really late, I opted for the relative calm of the M6 toll road.

I'm so glad I rarely travel east from Shropshire.

Nobody shot at me during the range times, and it wasn't too busy, and we got comfy seats to sit on, which makes a change from the usual straw bale.

This afternoon I was chatting to a chap whom had been shooting with us, and it turned out he was a photographer for Bauer media, and he very much enjoyed photographing model railways, having done a lot of work on Model Rail.

So if there are any of the editorial team reading this.............. Jacques says hi!

Back onto building the scenic box for Stokesay tomorrow, and this epic piece of woodwork should (will) get it's premier at the Festival of Model Railways at Peterborough next weekend.  Whether my cardboard scenery concepts get there, is another matter!  Please note that I am only responsible for woodwork, not for painting!!

I shall be conspicuous by my absence at P'boro, as I have a prior engagement promoting target shooting as an activity to the Girlguiding fraternity in Shropshire.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Back home now, after also being at the KWVR gala weekend - the day before Gordon though, and yesterday went to Ribblehead Viadonkduct, first time for, er, over 40 years.  Sure we drove along that path last time - well, Dad did anyway!  Saw a class 66, which for me is the first time I have seen one working - seemed odd to hear US sounds (EMD 645?) from a British loco - as a US modeller I know the US diesel exhaust sounds well.

We had a lovely evening in Ambleside too, Thai meal and a few drinks, shame to come back really!

Photos tomorrow, too tired tonight.

• Like 13

Evening all. I hope all are well. Time is so short at present I have not had much chance to catch up on what is happening with everyone else. After a bad start to the day things have not been too bad. Amber woke up at 4am this morning, and remained awake until after my alarm had gone off two hours later. I think I had about three hours sleep which was not good preparation for the week ahead.

Work has been ok. The children seemed equally sleepy today at times but that has been a trend throughout the year. Too many seem to be coming to school after sleepless nights. I think this will be something I will be commenting on a lot during the parents evening meetings next week.

The evening saw the first performance management meeting with the new boss. Not bad at all really. He seemed more than amenable to my comments and suggestions and I am quite happy with how things went. I even managed to secure the use of another classroom for our model railway exhibition. Result!

• Like 5