The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Toasting definitely sounds preferable to dunking in water!

I'm planning on doing a walking holiday shortly, and wondered if that Rover ticket would help me, but sadly it doesn't reach Edinburgh or Windermere so it's no use to me!

Dull but dry here in Edinburgh today. Suppose I ought to go to work...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all Dentist today so bread and water for me from now on as well,given my fat reserves I might pass on the bread. Your hospital sleep pattern sounds like my normal situation in term time, I hope you are relaxing and recovering quicker at home.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all

Recovery starts here - I've managed to work out how to get up and down stairs now - and also how to get a decent wash. I'm currently using a zimmer frame for mobility (hop/push/hop/push) and have also been trained on how to get round the house on crutches. As Mrs 45156 has to work, the routine is that I will stay upstairs in the mornings, and just sleep/rest then get down in the afternoon - so I should be able to become a true ER in about a week.

All I can say about the stay with the NHS was that it was a real eye opener, and not one that I wish to repeat - it is most true that your treatment happens in hospital, but your recovery starts when you get home!

As to layouts, as I am still at the baseboard stage, I might well have to leave that - but I may in a few weeks have a play with some old stock and weathering powders.

Regards to all

Stewart

Morning All,

It is a bit of a gloomy morning here - not surprising because it is the company barbecue this afternoon! Fingers crossed for reasonable weather. There was one good sign, I did see the sun rise from behind angry, grey clouds while I was driving to work.

I spent a very pleasant evening yesterday. I went down to Rüdesheim and had a walk along the Rhine, and sat in a pavement cafe sipping ice coffee. Of course, I got home rather late and so didn't ride my bike into work as planned this morning :lol: Oh well, it's not the weather for it anyway.

Have a good day everyone!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Well, up here the clouds are beginning to tear open, it would seem. Before heading to bed last night I saw a meteor in the sky - from what I could find out, we're currently in the Perseid period, though this will reach its maximum only in about two weeks from now, if I am not mistaken. Still and all, it was an intriguing sight, as I hadn't seen any meteors in a long time.

I went down to Rüdesheim and had a walk along the Rhine, and sat in a pavement cafe sipping ice coffee.

Rüdesheim also has the added benefit of enabling you to spot trains while having a coffee, I dare say :lol: .

Have a nice day all!

Rüdesheim also has the added benefit of enabling you to spot trains while having a coffee, I dare say :lol: .

Absolutely! We had a grandstand view of the line - although it is a bit difficult to hold a conversation over some of the freight trains!

Guest Max Stafford

What a nice location to spend an evening! Anyway chaps, have yourselves as nice a day as possible. I'm off to work too now, but at lets it's dry with patchy cloud. Not bad bike weather really. :)

Dave.

Morning all. Very nearly a full set of oktas here and some very leaden clouds overhead. Ground is slightly damp and there are some raindrops on my window.

I spent most of last night selecting and booking my trains and accommodation for my holiday. I leave a week on Saturday. Trains from Edinburgh to Ilkley, an overnight stay there, then I set off for Windermere on the Sunday on foot. Accommodation is selected for along the route (just await word that all is ok with the ones I've selected). I have an overnight stay in Dent one night. Expecting to reach Windermere on the following Friday, then a train up to Carlisle via part of the Settle and Carlisle line and then across to Newcastle for one night before finally returning to Edinburgh on the Saturday night.

I'm expecting to do about 95 miles of walking over 6 walking days. Planning a circular detour on walking day 2 to Malham Cove and Gordale Scar.

I had thought about camping (especially as it'd be cheaper) but as I'm planning on doing it solo, I wanted security (plus washing facilities and somewhere to charge my phone!) so I'm staying in B&Bs. Looking forward slightly nervously to it now!

It sounds pretty strenuous Mike, 16 miles a day on six successive days. Good Luck! :unsure:

I hope the weather is kind to you. What weight pack will you be starting out with? Will you be carrying six days food or will you be able to replenish en route?

As an ex-hiker I am very interested!

I did the menu planning for a group of six of us on a five day hike. We ran out of sugar on the second last day. I was VERY unpopular! :angry:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It has stopped raining here and we now have clear blue sky. The recycling bags and containers look very pretty on the front lawn. We have been tidying up before we set off on holiday. Robbie starts his holiday at the kennels today. After leaving him at the kennels I've got to go and get the rear light I ordered yesterday for the Clio. We are not going on holiday in that car but my wife will need it for work as soon as we get back.

We won't be that far from Rudesheim next week but I'm not sure if this time (on a previous holiday we did go there for lunch once) we will be visiting. After a few days in Amsterdam we will be spending a few days staying at Bacharach before heading off slightly east and then north.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

That sounds remarkably like the Dales Way Mike. Very nice indeed, I'm feeling rather jealous. You will pass a cafe in Burnsall that does a wonderful apple pie and cream...... Or perhaps you won't pass it.

Don, I travelled on the Settle and Carlise line yesterday and at the moment I'm sitting on a train waiting to go to Doncaster and possibly Barnetby both good sites for watching trains. Saturday will be back to Carlisle to see charter trains. Sunday will be the Esk Valley line, other than that I am undecided.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Hardly an okta in sight in these parts, not what the weatherman predicted at all. No meetings or phone calls in the diary, SWMBO and youngest off to the beach with the dogs so it looks as though I'll have the house to myself. Definitely a work at home day then.

Glad to hear you are on the mend Stewart. You might want to get a bulk discount on the weathering powders if you are going to tackle the Zimmer!

Cheers

Dave

It sounds pretty strenuous Mike, 16 miles a day on six successive days. Good Luck! :unsure:

I hope the weather is kind to you. What weight pack will you be starting out with? Will you be carrying six days food or will you be able to replenish en route?

As an ex-hiker I am very interested!

I did the menu planning for a group of six of us on a five day hike. We ran out of sugar on the second last day. I was VERY unpopular! :angry:

I'll only have a very light day pack with me each day. The company I've booked through will transfer my big pack between B&Bs each day, so it's not going to be as bad as all that, Don! I frequently walk 7 miles on an evening so 16 in a long walking day should easily be achievable!

And BoD - yep, it's the Dales Way. :)