The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all, I was amused by an item on BBC's breakfast show this morning. It was concerning some 'art' made from Lego blocks, the presenters are struggling not to mention Lego.

That reminds me of the time that the Pope came to the UK back in the 80s.  The BBC went to great pains to prevent mentioning that the Pope Mobile was a Land Rover by continuously referring to the "Pope's Jeep" :sarcastichand:

Morning all from the boring borough. I seem to have awakened a cockwomble from somewhere. Panic emails first thing demanding my presence in a meeting for a client I have no connection with. Oh well. Free lunch and an afternoon out @ Canary Wharf beckons.

Bulk buy Trebors they said. Drill holes in the middle of each one they said. you'll make a mint they said..............

Playing catchup today so happy faces, thumbs ups, and hearts all round.

Enjoy your day, I'm off to the assclown circus.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

The weather is back! A cool-ish morning, admittedly, but hardly a cloud in sight. Little excuse for not getting out there in the garden and doing a bit today! Where the big tree was felled a couple of months ago I have an enormous number of leaves - and of course the neighbouring trees have not even started to shed theirs. Lidl have an offer from today on a cheapo leaf blower/vacuum, so I may invest.

Love the coy "it's not Lego" story. After all, this item would have been "free" to the Beeb, while on Sunday afternoons they proclaim "Ferrari", "Red Bull", "Pirelli", "Mercedes" etc while paying loadsa dosh to be allowed to broadcast it! If ever an organisation didn't know if it was Arthur or Martha it's the Beeb.

NHNeil - I did see a new Broadway hybrid I5 on ebay US the other day. Streamlined steam at its zenith. Probably not your era, but even so....

Congrats to Polly for getting Ray successfully into retirement. The world is now your oyster. Camel Quay is pretty impressive already - how much better could it get?

Hope everyone's week goes well.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Aditi did have to go to work, the text message arrived stating that the college was open but be prepared for room changes.

I've ordered a Mac Air for her and will collect it from Waitrose tomorrow. I suspect I'll do some shopping as well. 

Tony

• Like 9

Mornin' all,

A great day out at the Severn Valley Railway yesterday

Apologies for sequencing of clips....swapping SD cards during the day didn't help.

Hope you're all making the best of the Autumn sunshine too

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure when I first visited the Severn Valley but it must be getting on for 40 years ago. I've only been an occasional visitor, sadly - but never a duff day on that railway. They've had to move with the times, but have done so professionally. I sincerely hope my 2013 visit will not prove to be my last!

• Like 4

Mornin' all,

A great day out at the Severn Valley Railway yesterday

Apologies for sequencing of clips....swapping SD cards during the day didn't help.

Hope you're all making the best of the Autumn sunshine too

Dave

Great stuff, Many thanks from those of us who would have liked to be there but couldn't make it!

John

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A "chilly on the w...y" start to the day - the gauge in the car dropped to 9 but I reckon it was a few degrees colder during the night, we sleep with the window open to get fresh air and, for me, to listen to the wildlife when/ if I awake during the night, so it's noticeable how the temperature has dropped.

I went out just before 08:00 as one the Norwich 68s was off on a jaunt to Wolverton, with some coaches - amazingly it all ran to time and I was back home by 08:30 and I'd photographed the 68+train and 2 90 hauled/pushed expresses - at a location 10 minutes drive away.

Perusing the signal diagrams last night (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/229-early-risers/?p=1595346) I noticed that Norwich / Ipswich has also been added to the list - perfect, that means all trains in the areas surrounding me are now visible, in real time, down to their signal location which helps with planning the day / fitting in with work / enabling me to nip out for the shortest time etc.

For example, here's a screen shot I've just taken, it shows the Harwich - Walsham tanks heading towards Wrabness (the code is 622R and it's middle, to the right) - the train won't update on the real time sites until it gets to Mistley (the next reporting point) and whilst, in this case, a few minutes is not critical, it can be for me when I'm juggling trains / work / family. The tanks will take the East -> North chord at Manningtree and then head my way, via Ipswich.

post-6662-0-77616000-1411379023_thumb.jpg

Have a good day all.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

The weather is back! A cool-ish morning, admittedly, but hardly a cloud in sight. Little excuse for not getting out there in the garden and doing a bit today! Where the big tree was felled a couple of months ago I have an enormous number of leaves - and of course the neighbouring trees have not even started to shed theirs. Lidl have an offer from today on a cheapo leaf blower/vacuum, so I may invest.

Love the coy "it's not Lego" story. After all, this item would have been "free" to the Beeb, while on Sunday afternoons they proclaim "Ferrari", "Red Bull", "Pirelli", "Mercedes" etc while paying loadsa dosh to be allowed to broadcast it! If ever an organisation didn't know if it was Arthur or Martha it's the Beeb.

NHNeil - I did see a new Broadway hybrid I5 on ebay US the other day. Streamlined steam at its zenith. Probably not your era, but even so....

Congrats to Polly for getting Ray successfully into retirement. The world is now your oyster. Camel Quay is pretty impressive already - how much better could it get?

Thanks, Ian.  That's kind of you to say so.

Ray is about to start the replacement station building so there maybe updates on CQ shortly, along with painting the house, building a workshop in the garden.....

Morning all

Not got one of those. Just the free bus pass.  :D

For those who don't know what I'm referring to:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster?cid=fs076

Polly

• Like 4

Morning all,

Sunny here in Clacton so far and I've just been told that we've got to go to M&S this afternoon - whoopee!

Robert and Ian's comments on the 'Beeb' amused me as they reminded me of the 'Pope-mobile' episode - I'd just taken on a new salesman at the garage and he previously worked in the Colchester Land Rover dealership when the programme was broadcast. I remember him complaining bitterly that the 'Beeb' had constantly referred to the rival 'Jeep' product up the road without seeming to realise that it too was a brand name! I did comment at the time that I doubted that not many of the general public would have noticed however.

Ian, I got a Bosch leaf blower/vacuum which mulches them and deposits them in an attached bag - very useful when our Apple trees drop each autumn. The suction levels can be set so that it picks up the dead leaves without disturbing madams granite chippings in the borders! Can't believe I didn't invest in one many years ago!

Ray, congratulations on your retirement. Although I wasn't prepared for mine, and still miss many aspects of my job, I can confirm that both Joanna and I wonder how we ever had time to work! Sounds like Polly has plenty plans to keep you occupied however! Enjoy.

Try to have a good rest of the day,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Didn't quite get the frost that appears to have affected some areas this morning, but by 'eck it was chilly compared to recent days - positively autumnal.

Can't go out this morning, as the annual service for the boiler is booked in for today, and is an open appointment.  As the usual engineer for Homeserve lives a few miles from me, he usually makes this the last visit of the day, as he has to cover a patch from Lancaster to Penrith including the Furness peninsula - must make planning his day a nightmare, particularly with the traffic problems around this town at the moment - what with the building of a by-pass AND the closure of the main road into town from the North.  The former affects traffic from the North, mainly, as does the latter - I live in the North of the area so get doubly hit both myself and when I have anybody visiting. 

I'm feeling a little crook this morning, think I've got a cold man flu which I probably got from 30747, who could have got it from any of mummy's little darlings, who are taken to pre-school regardless of ailments - fill 'em up with Calpol, and leave them as somebody else's problem for the day when it wears off.  It has affected my eyesight in one eye, as I can't focus properly in my left - a bit like looking through a dirty pair of glasses.

I've managed to pick up the latest on Don, which appears to be good news on the whole, and like my fellow ERs I look forward to seeing a post from him soon.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the boring borough. I seem to have awakened a cockwomble from somewhere. Panic emails first thing demanding my presence in a meeting for a client I have no connection with. Oh well. Free lunch and an afternoon out @ Canary Wharf beckons.

Bulk buy Trebors they said. Drill holes in the middle of each one they said. you'll make a mint they said..............

Playing catchup today so happy faces, thumbs ups, and hearts all round.

Enjoy your day, I'm off to the assclown circus.

You, Andrew, are the undoubted master of biting irony on here! Wish I could put such things quite like you...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sat here with instructions just issued by phone that I need to be "doing the hoovering" while I wait for the boiler man to arrive - and still no call from that quarter.

Eyesight has slowly imprived as the morning progressed, to the stage where I can almost see properly, but it's taken hours - possibly a visit to the doc is indicated.

A crisp 8 here this morning, sunny and clear sky with the slightest breeze. Definately cueing Autumn, however the forecasts are for it to be rather warmer than average most of the week, that only means a 23-26 range for the highs mind you.

Minor milepost reached yesterday, with the completion of laying ALL the roadbed for the layout, YAY! - also obtained 4 more yards of flex, "...why only 4? you ask..." um, that's all the bloody hobby shop had. :O  They don't exactly carry oodles of PECO "anything" anyway, and apparently wait until the have a negative stock of flex (i.e. demand exceeds supply on several occasions) before thinking about ordering more :(

They don't even know when they will get more, and as they are the only ONE of TWO railroad hobby shops in town (the other one doesn't carry PECO flex!!), I may have to order flex track ONLINE, meaning I'll have to pay a huge sum for postage to get the remaining 6-7 yards I need :( :scared:

Starting the week slowly, bound to accelerate as we get going I'm sure -  embrace the arrival of Autumn later in the day :)

Afternoon all.

Suffering badly again today, so sofa-bound. 

Whilst I'm immobile I decided to do something about my broadband wifi router (Netgear). I'd seen that Virgin have a Superhub, like I've got with SFR in France, so I phoned them to ask if I could get one. I'm having problems with my current wifi - doesn't reach the back of the house and frequent dropouts.

The result was that I was upgraded to 100Mb (from 20), got a free hub, cheaper phone calls and we discovered that we've still got an old second phone line from dial-up days, which we quickly cancelled.

Overall savings of over £22 a month, faster broadband and new hub. Not a bad result! They've told me that if I write to Sir Richard of Branson I might get a bit of compensation for ten years of £16 a month for the extra phone line (I hope Julie doesn't do the maths on that one, it's almost two grand)...

Now, what can I spend that on?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Overall savings of over £22 a month, faster broadband and new hub. Not a bad result! They've told me that if I write to Sir Richard of Branson I might get a bit of compensation for ten years of £16 a month for the extra phone line (I hope Julie doesn't do the maths on that one, it's almost two grand)...

Now, what can I spend that on?

When I worked for a phone company (not the one owned by Sir Branson) on a complaints helpdesk, we were told to maintain all rentals as bills did itemise what the customer had on the account - and the onus was on him or her to cancel services accordingly - however, I do hope that your provider has a more generous approach.

Boiler man's on his way, so I'd best logoff now

• RMweb Premium

I'm assuming I'm unlikely to get anything, but for the price of a stamp...

Nothing to lose and all to gain - not all phone companies are so parsimonious as my former employer, who would do anything to keep the profits up.

Boiler service done - new engineer, as my insurer has put the contract for the work out to tender, and another company has taken over.  His total time with me was about 20 minutes, whereas the last guy usually took about 30 - though I must say he did like a chat which probably did spin out the time onsite.

Eye finally fully recovered about half past three.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks like DD2 needs a good camera she lives close to the station, given she lives in the dungeon of her block getting some fresh air and sunlight would be good.

Matthew will be moving to his LSE accommodation next week. He hasn't mentioned whether or not he will be getting any daylight. He just seems pleased/amused to be living on a street (well an avenue) that is on the Monopoly board.

He had a day trip to Malaysia today to visit an historic city and sample lots of food. He is coping with the sudden change to tropical temperatures after his Antipodean winter. I was feeling cold tonight so I've put the heating on for a while.

Tony

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Finally I have time to try and sit down and catch up on ERs, which apart from a few drop ins, has not been possible since last Wednesday.

So commiserations, congratulation, thank, likes and get betters where they are needed.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible, although Margam beckons later in the week.

Looking at the draft program for the TRMG exhibition in October (4th) I see I have been promoted into the post of Exhibition Manager!

Patsy, fall guy or sacrificial lamb are more accurate descriptors I suspect.

I suppose i'd best put something on the exhibitions page, although I've put  the details on the club website this afternoon (trmg.org.uk).  the upkeep of the site is another job that I've been 'gifted' since the departure of our resident computer genius.  I'm going to have to give it a complete makeover eventually.

Then of course there is getting on top of the Stokesay pages in the layout section, although to be fair, there is not all that much to add at present, although this will change when the emphasis changes from getting it running properly to scenery and upgrading various parts of the trackwork etc.

Dentist tomorrow morning both preceded and followed by a leaflet raid about the exhibition to various local school noticeboards.