The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

And with whom will the Isle of Man choose to align itself ?

Edit : shocking grammar and spelling.

We don't need to thanks - we're already self governing!  The (F)Lying Scotsman was here a couple of weeks ago, looking for support and ideas I think.  There is no love for the English here on Fraggle Rock from the real died in the wool three-leggers, but I also have a feeling we're still technically at war with Scotland, and have the right to attack any that land here.  Odd thing, history!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a good day at Groudle Glen, really enjoyable guarding turn, a lot of interesting passengers, and busy too.  Two engines in steam so doing some staff and ticket operation, helps keep my knowledge of the rule book sharp!  Stationmaster would approve I hope.

Shattered now, I need a day off, so much for partial retirement!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, having returned from the wilds of Winchester too late for mowing lawns. Saw more Ferrari's today than I normally see in a month including one with the plate ENZO5 a 64 plate Maserati in blue who was actually a good considerate driver and 20 plus exuberant Mini drivers real Mini's that is Oh and a Wolsey version in neon green.   Also spotted a green vintage Bentley and 6 cylinder open car of similar appearance.As well as a motorcyclist I nearly killed he came up the inside then cut across my front just as I went to increase speed I heard him before I could see him and slowed down.  

Re the Scotland "In or Out" debate - as far as the BBC news is concerned, Scotland appears to consist almost entirely of the Oil Capital, and the Central Belt - They seem not to realise (or maybe, care) that there are another 250-300 miles of this beautiful country that lie further north, including one of the UKs newest cities!

Not just 250 miles north of the central belt, but also up to 100 miles south, in the Border area.  The Borderers that I know feel that everyone just ignores this part of Scotland.

• RMweb Gold

Not just 250 miles north of the central belt, but also up to 100 miles south, in the Border area.  The Borderers that I know feel that everyone just ignores this part of Scotland.

But it is those scenic and under-populated areas that the English - and other cognoscenti - value most about Scotland. In the implausible event that roadblocks and passports become necessary, I wonder how much of that tourism will die on the spot?

But it is those scenic and under-populated areas that the English - and other cognoscenti - value most about Scotland. In the implausible event that roadblocks and passports become necessary, I wonder how much of that tourism will die on the spot?

Having recently purchased a timeshare week on Loch Lomond, we have been wondering the same thing!  If the vote is 'Yes', it might significantly affect that week.

Evening all,

Exhausted tonight because I've been trying to do a bit more exercise! Couldn't resist looking through though and glad I did as the news from Tim is encouraging. Please tell Don that I'm certainly not alone in admiring his fortitude and look forward to his regular bulletins again soon.

Decided to take Archie out in the garden for his last 'P' of the day before turning in. The sky was really clear and the Milky Way very evident. How insignificant it makes you feel as you stare into what looks like an endless cloud of stars!

Good luck for Monday's workers,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, having returned from the wilds of Winchester too late for mowing lawns. Saw more Ferrari's today than I normally see in a month including one with the plate ENZO5 a 64 plate Maserati in blue who was actually a good considerate driver and 20 plus exuberant Mini drivers real Mini's that is Oh and a Wolsey version in neon green.   Also spotted a green vintage Bentley and 6 cylinder open car of similar appearance.As well as a motorcyclist I nearly killed he came up the inside then cut across my front just as I went to increase speed I heard him before I could see him and slowed down.  

That sort of behaviour is all too common it is obviously not enough to have to cope with idiot car drivers some bikers seem to feel they need to give the car drivers a better chance of hitting them.  Many a time I have indicated and started to pull out as I do so some biker behind starts to overtake me. When I bought my first bike Dad said anticipating what every one else on the road is doing is the only way to stay safe.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Quick visit before bed... Great weekend in Swindon... great to meet quite a few ERs there as well as other RMWebbers.. got some weathering done... long drive back (60 odd miles of "motorway with 50mph speed limits is a pain!)

back tomorrow .. stay calm...drink tea/coffee/alcohol/juice/ water ... select appropriate.

Baz

• Like 3

Sorry Mick, I can offer you Tetley?  It is all I have at the moment.

Morning All,

I am in the office early this morning - my wife is off on a business trip to Bremen, so I dropped her off at the station and then headed into work early.

The weekend was a bit on the hectic side, but then I expected that.  I spent quite a lot of it on the motorway, as I headed over to France.  I decided to go through Belgium on the way over to save Peage costs (which was a mistake - loads of traffic, and miles of roadworks!)  However, yesterdays run back through France was a lot better.

This week also looks as if it is going to be quite busy.

I hope those of you that went, enjoyed RMweb live.

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 5

Good morning all, back on the dark continent -  apart from tiring yesterday flights were ok,and either on time or early!  Good to hear up-date on Don from Tim. Seems like I've not been away - funny how this place gets under your skin?  

There are now around 1600 photos to sort out from my holiday trip - the Train ones I will post in the appropriate place. 

Lets hope we all have a productive week.

Be good

Trev.

• Like 13

That sort of behaviour is all too common 

Without wishing to start a discussion defending motor bikes or car drivers, I live in one of the places where motor cyclists come to die.

Last week one shot across my bows on a bend and ended up on/in the verge and it is commonplace to see other near misses and worse.

Just to say to our biker friends: Take care. You are very vulnerable no matter whose fault it might be when you hit the ground with your face.

Think of your families.

Sadly I don't ride on the road any more. There are, of course, two sides to each coin. Having commuted by stupidly big Suzuki between Croydon and Horsham for many years, for every idiot biker there is an idiot car/van/lorry driver. They're everywhere and leap out to ruin your day when you least expect it. I took a conscious decision some years ago that track days were the way to go if I wanted an adrenalin rush. I believe I came to that decision whilst lying upside down in a ditch picking chunks of A23 out of my right leg. My bike was in too many pieces to count and most of it got swept into a bin liner. Neil's occasional bike pics prompt an urge to get another one but the urge passes. Eventually...

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Very quiet out this morning.

I'm glad I didn't plan anything as I'm feeling a bit "fragile" this morning having experienced rather violent vomiting last night. I'll feel better after breakfast probably!

One of Aditi's younger cousins was supposed to arrive this week to study at Bath University but has had to delay her trip as she has caught Dengue Fever. Wikipedia reading makes me pleased to know that our Essex mosquitoes don't carry such unpleasant infections.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Dull and dreich. Someone's doing construction work with a stone cutter nearby, so not a calm morning…

Was just thinking that I might want to head to Ikea or some such place for some storage boxes. We'll see…

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, dull day outside but I will be having a dull day in the office mostly. Dom I have spent most of the weekend with IKEA's little cardboard boxes they are ideal for student stuff and DVDs but not kitten proof they can open the lids.

Overcast this morning although there are a few patches of blue. With the days getting shorter, we are seeing fewer people on our early morning walks on the beach, just a couple of regulars this morning (lady joggers, although that's unfair as one is definitely a runner!). By the time I get back from my trip to the UK next month, it's going to be dark in the mornings, ughh! Unusual this morning, was the sight of a kestrel hunting on the dunes.

Now enjoying a lovely mug of Barry's tea, of the really great things to come out of Ireland! 

John

• Like 2

I actually don't mind Ikea too much - but judging by the look on the faces of most of the Blokes you see in there, I am in the minority.

Saturdays are definitely best avoided.  When a trip is necessary, we usually do it after work in the week.

I have never been a motorcyclist.  My Mum used to be Sister in charge of Casualty, and talked me out of getting my bike license when I was 16.  I have considered it a couple of times since, but I have never really had the urge to take the plunge.  Probably good, given that you are so soft shelled on a bike.

I am always amazed how stupid a minority of people are on Motorbikes - and they give the sensible riders a bad name.  However, I guess that applies to every form of transport in one form or another.  Riding a push bike in the UK is challenge enough.  The last time I did that, I nearly got knocked off several times by car drivers who seemed intent on using me for target practise, and vowed never again.

• RMweb Premium

That's one long term relationship off to a bad start!

John

I think you're right there. The ex Mrs went to the reception but didn't stay long. The bride's family virtually ignored her and appear to think she married beneath her, as they also largely ignored the groom's family. My stepson went to the ceremony but I haven't seen him since.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Bit damp here this morning. Mug of tea drunk. I now need to the black the car and do some more weathering.

As I was away last week I couldn't comment on cricket so......

Yorrrrrkkkshire! Congrats on winning the league.

And also to Yorkshire Academy for their Yorkshire Premier League Cup and League double!

Have a great day!

Baz

• Like 7