The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Don’t remind him that in US schools such things as Religious Assemblies are totally illegal under the US Constitution......

Best, Pete.

I was talking to the senior science teacher at a local secondary school; he told me that he got fed up with the deputy head trying to pressurise him into taking assemblies, so he eventually did one entirely based on Neo-Darwinian evolutionary theory. He wasn't asked again ... 

• Like 2

As a Humanist, non-religious (but with a strong moral content) were the only sorts of assemblies that my conscience allowed me to conduct.

Like everyone else in our school...

I also used to do them improv-style on subjects shouted out from the audience. Great fun.

• Like 7

Look at this lovely shot of the Retiro Terminus of the Linea San Martin (abreve.) in Buenos Aires.

Seems a little familiar? One of the old  so-called “British” railways in Argentina - financed and engineered by us. The gauge is still 5’6”.    Even so the trackage still looks weirdly British . Look at the signal in the foreground...also take a long hard look at the points/switch work...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=494765&nseq=2&favsearch=1

Some history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocarril_General_San_Mart%C3%ADn

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 8

Morning all,

Back from our "holiday" trip...Marilyn opted to drive through Vancouver's rush hour traffic this afternoon.  (Much happier to let me drive the  twisty & windier  country roads of the Sunshine Coast!) 

This  morning it was Starfish  spotting time...some beaches were covered in them! Mainly purple colour but some other  shades too.  

Hopefully tomorrow there might be some modelling time.

What ever you're up to today try to make the most of it .

Trev 

post-4282-0-52341600-1409970559.jpg

post-4282-0-32329300-1409970576.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!
Grey and overcast here. I just hope it gets better!

Nice shots Pete..I must dig my photos of the magnificent station in Kuala Lumpur out and scan them in. That really is British Colonialism at its best.

Cup of tea beckons so TTFN
Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2

I do have some Heljan diesels (sourced from a very reputable source!) and the PCB looks similar. However Google suggests that the Class 47s have bulbs not LEDs so I have suggested how to progress on that basis. Later Heljans I have with LEDs seem very dim compared to other makes (in my opinion)

Trains!   :nono: ......... :rtfm: ........... :warning: ............ :laugh:

Edited by Debs.

Mornin' all,

Misty, damp half-light in the Staffs Moorlands for the constitutional to Tittesworth & back....first ride with lights since the clocks went forward.

Heavy gardening work just now, removing shrubs that have outgrown their space/digging out root-balls but job done and new shrubs/creepers etc planted...just the clearing up to do/new liner sections to fit. 

Enjoy whatever you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Cloudy here.

Another day of chatting to the dog, as Aditi will be at work today doing her bit to increase student numbers at weekend enrolment.

I may play with trains or may cut the grass or vacuum the carpets.

Matthew reached Auckland yesterday. He is going to meet a friend who will show him round the Auckland area, Later in the week he is going on a bus trip round the south of South Island. 

Tony

• Like 3

Morning all - lovely morning here!

Most of today will be spent at the Derwent Railway Society Open Weekend, where we hope to attract new members.  It also gives me the opportunity to run a lot of trains, and fix some that a friend gave me to see if I could do anything with them.  Heres hoping for a successful day.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Look at this lovely shot of the Retiro Terminus of the Linea San Martin (abreve.) in Buenos Aires.

Seems a little familiar? One of the old  so-called “British” railways in Argentina - financed and engineered by us. The gauge is still 5’6”.    Even so the trackage still looks weirdly British . Look at the signal in the foreground...also take a long hard look at the points/switch work...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=494765&nseq=2&favsearch=1

Some history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocarril_General_San_Mart%C3%ADn

Best, Pete.

I would want to do a better job than that on my trackwork.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, up to Preston this morning for DD2's accomadation and drop off some of her things..... A TV fell on her head last night as she gathered items together I think she may have a black eye this morning. Weather isn't great but it isn't raining yet so hoping for a good trip. Have a good day all.

Overcast, but latest BBC weather forecast says OK for the family barbecue. I hope to get some semi-formal family pictures. I'm really looking forward to having all the grandchildren together in the same place, but I think I'll probably lose out to the trampoline!

Personal development went well yesterday, but chances of more today are slim as the dining room cupboard work will take priority...

So have a good weekend, all, especially those talking to dogs, glaring at kittens or expeditioning to steam transport venues.

• Like 3

I would want to do a better job than that on my trackwork.

Don

That is taken from nearly a mile away from an overpass with a long throw lens - the effect of compression tends to make all track work - even British - look a little wonky. What I meant was, look for check rails........

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Smashing picture links Pete - there must be more Stevens' pattern lattice posts and finials there than now exist on the whole of Notwork Rail, tremendous stuff and they look quite well cared for - nice way to start the day ta!

And that's about it - no orders yet issued (apart from 'make the tea' - job done) and reasonable weather so I might get chased out into the garden.

Have a good day folks

I see NHN has been living dangerously and got caught. 

So, bearing in mind that she's about....

I spotted an AA sign suggesting that there was some form of event themed around a form of transport that uses fossil fuel in a compressive energy extraction manner causing movement of said transport along long parallel metal beams, in the Alton area this weekend. I shall see if I can get along to take some photos for you all. 

Andy

• Like 2