The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Very nic pix there! I'm not sure about the glass balcony, though. Certainly don't tell Olddudders about it!

Dick - from what Ian says, his vertigo isn't connected with acrophobia, but we do seem to have touched a nerve here. I see Bill's point – I don't like the famous steeplejack picture, either – but I do think “Actually I can't even look at the photo of Miss BB” was rather unfortunate phrasing!

Miss bb has some good cable car video; I had thought of posting it with a warning, but naughty Tony seems uninhibited with his “shoelace” snap!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Turned out nice here in the end, but Morrisons was a bit of a drag, as I had to go later than I'd like, and all the ring and ride buses had arrived from many of the surrounding areas, so the store was a bit busy, and also from the state of the shelves, it looked as if the delivery had been delayed (so much for "just in time" logistics) - bodes well for winter, I guess.

Have just plodded through a few pages of educated conversation here - we ERs don't go in for drivel (do we?) and I'm quite lucky that I don't have any problems with heights, and also I don't fly very frequently (in fact I haven't flown since I finished up in the City and we holiday in the UK) so I can't add any comments about the current aircraft in service - however, I have had experience of flying in some types which by today's standards are quite primitive.  I once had to fly from London to Campbeltown (no I didn't have time to visit the distillery) and flew to Glasgow on a 737 - 400 (in fact it was the one which crashed at Kegworth) and it was heavily delayed out of Heathrow due to a runway closure.  I was through ticketed to Campbeltown, and made my dilemma known to the staff in the lounge.  During my flight, there was a tannoy call for "the passenger flying to Campbeltown" to come forward, and I visited the flight deck (another thing that's no longer possible) and the first officer assured me that "something was being sorted out for you".  They held the Campbeltown flight (which was a DH Twin Otter) for me, which really was no hardship to the other passengers as there were none.  I was then first off at Glasgow, and a young lady in a Loganair uniform met me at the jetway, and took me via the external stairway to the tarmac, then on a sort of golf cart thingie to the waiting Otter.  She then followed me on board, closed the door, and took the left hand seat on the flight deck, started the engines, and as soon as we had taken off, invited me to join her up front.  On the return, they had the more normal Shorts 3-30 which was an experience in itself - a portacabin with wings would have been more of an apt description than an aircraft.  I also had an unusual experience when flying back from Aberdeen to Gatwick with Dan-AIr, when we were advised that due to technical problems we would have to wait for an alternate aircraft as the BAC 1-11 needed a new elastic band.  The substitute aircraft was from their charter fleet, and was the last flying Comet 4 with that airline.

I used to have a fear of flying, but a kindly skipper on British Midland cured this by taking me all the way from Liverpool to Heathrow on the flight deck of a chartered Fokker F-27.  I subsequently went on to learn to fly a glider, which was another story.

I did enjoy these experiences, but from what I've heard, such fun if no longer possible.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

One still occasionally hears the expression 'divided by a common language' but there was an interesting example of it on (still un-retuned) channel 32 this afternoon in the shape of a US made film I've never heard of before and starring Sarah Jessica Parker.  The title of the film 'Life Without Dick'  - I haven't got a  clue what it was about as I was busy dealing with an auction catalogue picking out what to bid for.

• RMweb Gold

I also had an unusual experience when flying back from Aberdeen to Gatwick with Dan-AIr, when we were advised that due to technical problems we would have to wait for an alternate aircraft as the BAC 1-11 needed a new elastic band.   

We flew from Pisa to Gatwick many years ago on a Dan-Air BAC 1-11. It looked rather tatty inside. Aditi wasn't re-assured when I said I could have made some of the rivets holding it together. (Summer job, early 1970s)

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to mention that today is 43rd wedding anniversary. Still not made my mind up.

I'm up to 44 and I have (I think - possibly - maybe.........er ....I'll get back to you!)  :jester:

PS Commiser  Congratulations!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

We went to the local Harvester earlier.............whadda a mistakea to makea

Especially the staka steak - if it had been any tougher it would have been a fossil. It was sent back. I tried the chicken .........briefly.........then we came home!

Cheese & pickle sandwich anyone?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm up to 44 and I have (I think - possibly - maybe.........er ....I'll get back to you!)  :jester:

PS Commiser  Congratulations!

Aditi has given lots of notice (3 years) that she would like something appropriate for our 40th wedding anniversary  which I assume she wants something ruby related. Ian and Sherry's recent engagement ring story did cause Aditi to mention she had never had an engagement ring. I did point out that she hasn't worn her wedding ring for about 30 years but I think I have got the message. The only problem is that she said I must never ever choose jewellery for her! 

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Congrats Dick. Nice of Ms S-J Parker to make a film about you, too. 

Whilst I have your attention, anyone know where I put the point control wire I had in my hand the other day? 

Andy

Buy some more (point wire, not S-J Parker) then when it arrives you will find the missing wire.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

eee-oop.

A busy day at work, and I was somewhat tired after yesterdays excursion.

Ian, it may well have been a Saab, it was only a fleeting glance from the mucky Fly Maybe Q400 window - deffo BA livery turbo-prop though, hard to tell it might have been Eastern from there too!

Tried to buy a 2BIL this evening from the Horby website, but nothing happens when clicking the paypal button, other than it turns blue.  The air did too.  I have monies in paypal I need to spend on trains, and that is a serious bargain price.

• RMweb Gold

.  I have monies in paypal I need to spend on trains,...

There is some mention in one of the eBay threads about Paypal problems but I haven't had any difficulty accessing my account. I paid for a loco yesterday from a retailer in Yorkshire by Paypal mainly  because I was too idle to get up and look for my wallet. Paypal seem to have changed the appearance of the account page too. My most recent experience with the Hornby website wasn't encouraging.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Aditi has given lots of notice (3 years) that she would like something appropriate for our 40th wedding anniversary  which I assume she wants something ruby related. Ian and Sherry's recent engagement ring story did cause Aditi to mention she had never had an engagement ring. I did point out that she hasn't worn her wedding ring for about 30 years but I think I have got the message. The only problem is that she said I must never ever choose jewellery for her! 

Tony

Chris's original engagement ring was sapphire & diamonds but as it was bought when we were nineteen wasn't the best quality and the sapphire? has a chip out of it. For years I've offered to get something better but was always told no - because of the sentimental value and the fact that she had more than enough jewellery anyway. When we got to our Ruby Anniversary I insisted and bought her this :

post-5890-0-07293200-1409861256.jpg

She was not displeased!

• Like 12

Tony

Trip to Dawlish? That's red isn't it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

AAAAGH!

As an Engineer I can quite happily fly any where in any aeroplane.. but Civil Engineering at height scare the pants off me!  This is due to sharing a flat with a civil engineer who said - "design it then add a bit on  for safety".....terra firma for me mate!! none of this standing on a thin sheet of glass! (did do that once in one of the Westin Hotels in Singapore without realising it was a glass floor.....I still have the collywobbles now just thinking

Baz

Baz,

You used to design tanks.

Civil engineers built you targets!

On a different note, I see that the 'Scout' replacement for the CVRT series is quite a bit bigger than Scorpion/Scimitar.  more like an Israeli Merkava, or a slightly smaller Warrior.

Still if you are in a Challenger, or a half decent gunship, it just gives you a bigger target to aim at.  which is where we came in with the civil engineer!

• Like 3

Evening all and Happy Anniversary Dick.

So that is it! The summer holiday is now officially over and I am back to work tomorrow. Ok, one day and then a weekend, but there will be plenty of uncertainty tomorrow as we all wait to hear what the new head teacher has planned for us. I actually feel quite positive about it all at present, well I did! Whether it has been the positive and friendly responses I have received when I have emailed or text him, or whether it is the beer from earlier that caused this positive outlook I am not sure. Mind you it soon disappeared when I received an email from another member of staff, bringing problems to the surface already. These are things she should have sorted out at the end of last term, and also things we had "agreed" during previous conversations. But she still hasn't dealt with the issues or remembered the conversations. Some things never change!!!

At least the holiday has finished with an enjoyable day. I did manage that short notice trip to the Severn Valley (and got away with it!). A nice morning run from Bridgnorth to Kidderminster was followed by a run back to Highley, lunch in the sunshine on the Engine House balcony before returning to Kidderminster and then back to Bridgnorth with a nice pint of real ale in hand. There was a beer festival on in Bridgnorth car park but the drive back prevented me from partaking. The loco for the day was the Ivatt 4 which is a beautiful machine. Erlestoke Manor was on the other steam set whilst the Battle of Britain class "Sir Keith Park" was on a observation saloon charter. The Deltic also did one trip. I almost went against my beliefs and rode behind that as it is the one diesel I actually like. The roar from the engines as it left Kidderminster was quite impressive!

Over 50 miles steam haulage today. I make that a total of 346 miles for the summer I'm quite happy with that!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Richard,

Not many 42t scout vehicles around in my day. God help them if they deploy against someone with T72 or T90

A CTA 40mm v a 125mm bang stick.....no chance or even less...

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

Happy anniversary Dick - and good score there.

Hard luck about the Harvester nosh GDB - we had proper job Mrs Stationmaster's home made pasties for dinner tonight (sorry, but i thought you'd like to know ;) ).  Oh and Mrs Stationmaster has also received her identity protection mis-selling cheque, which covers the cost of the new washing machine.  Problem with dropping water pressure seems to be identified having now opened the bypass on the water softener; spares/replacement bits for the softener are now on order but I need the plumber to take it out in order top do the job on it as it is 'hard plumbed' in.

Morning all, 

Internet pretty dismal in this part of the world,  but the "Sunshine Coast"  has been living up to it's name!  

This girl decided to poke her head in the kitchen window as I was doing the dishes tonight  (Thursday) 

Hope to be able to catch-up  on all the goings on on ER's over the weekend!

Trev.

post-4282-0-51395500-1409890973.jpg

• Like 15