The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It's great to see Jock back on here and we wish him a full recovery whilst thinking of Don over the next few days.

Further to Ian's post, here is a picture of us taken at the Mayor's Charity Bash on Sunday:-

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Have a good day!

A lovely picture of a happy couple. Obviously not too p***ed off by the preacher! Cheered me up no end, thank you.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

Jock is back! Yay!

Tomorrow I shall be up to my neck in HiViz controlling the mad women (i.e. Moms taking their children to school). There’s going to be a crack down on both speeding and driving under the influence of both booze and drugs (incl. prescription - I feel particularly holier than thou on that) and unlawful parking and drop off. It should be fun.

So people are doing their bit - at least here. I suspect your local Bill will be doing the same, they do speak to each other you know.

Never ceases to amaze me that the children’s biggest danger comes from fellow Moms (and Dads but they are distinctly fewer)...

Ian, I’d have been tempted to bring judgement day on that prat forward a bit - intolerance begats intolerance, however, imagining it is just as good.

Enough for now there have been about ten other posts whilst I’ve been struggling with my typing.

Best wishes to all ERs under the weather. Pete.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good to see Jock back with us, and best wishes to Don. Ian and Sherry were obviously enjoying the mayor's do despite the attentions of the fundamentalist bloke. Take heart from the main tenet of my faith "Do what thou wilt an it harm none".

Martyn goes back to school tomorrow to start on his GCSEs. I foresee (metaphorical) wailing and gnashing of teeth over homework. Today we have to collect his new blazer from the uniform shop in Eastleigh. A visit to the model shop round the corner is on the cards; they have a s/h loco I'm interested in though I may not buy today. In WHS I will inspect the GBL 4MT but it's not my period so I shouldn't be tempted. Later I must teach the young man to shave; he can't go back with the patchy wispy beard that's appeared over the summer.

Have a good day all.

Pete

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now a proper 'Morning all',

Welcome back Jock - hope the recovery goes as well as the op, fingers crossed.

Now picking up a few things from preceding - Ian & Sherry surely you should have explained to teh bloke that getting married twice would probably mean twice as much salvation or whatever is dished out 'up there'.

And school training days - when Mrs Stationmaster was Classroom Assisting in West Berkshire they were called 'Inset Days' (and didn't apply to Classroom assistants, whoopee); they were something the nippers clearly understood (it meant a day off for them) but they called them 'Insect Days'

Now to GDB and his peculiar feelings for strangely coloured big engines (I had the same trouble with another member of this forum on one of the Didcot visits - he liked the colour too). But the situation is really very simple - there is only one proper colour for big GWR engines and that is green (and fortunately in their later years they got into South Wales ;) in green!!)

Have a good day folks - we've got friends visiting so the day might get a bit hydraulic (but I'm driving so the INR readings won't go crazy, I hope)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jock is back! Yay!

Tomorrow I shall be up to my neck in HiViz controlling the mad women (i.e. Moms taking their children to school). There’s going to be a crack down on both speeding and driving under the influence of both booze and drugs (incl. prescription - I feel particularly holier than thou on that) and unlawful parking and drop off. It should be fun.

So people are doing their bit - at least here. I suspect your local Bill will be doing the same, they do speak to each other you know.

Never ceases to amaze me that the children’s biggest danger comes from fellow Moms (and Dads but they are distinctly fewer)...

Ian, I’d have been tempted to bring judgement day on that prat forward a bit - intolerance begats intolerance, however, imagining it is just as good.

Enough for now there have been about ten other posts whilst I’ve been struggling with my typing.

Best wishes to all ERs under the weather. Pete.

I'd give good money to see Pete in action (as a lollipop chap!). And if he is ever over in the UK he could do a guest appearance outside our school gates! 

One of the biggest hazards - trafficwise and blood pressure-wise - is the shear volume of mum's driving inappropriately large cars about 1/4 of a mile to school and then blocking up the lane. The council has responded by painting yellow zig-zag lines far more extensively along said lane. I'm waiting for these lines to be sooo long that the displaced traffic has to park further away from the school than they drove in the first place. 

Unfortunately when the local Bill does put in an appearance it is at the request of of either residents or the school. When I pointed out to one of the officers that the major problem was people parking on a white line and blocking pedestrians from the only crossing point he said "I wasn't asked to look at that." Tempting to replay that until he specifically asks each taxpayer for a contribution to his pay packet...."  Oooh, look. two hours into the new term and Andy's having a rant! :)

I think the retort that Ian and Sherry should use to the overzealous who promise a sojourn with fire and brimstone is "Your name will also go on zee list!:devil:  :devil:

First sentence EDITED for clarity! 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad to see that Jock is back with us, and hope everything goes ok with Don.

Nice pic of Sherry and Ian, at the Mayor's bash:  Lucky it wasn't a charity event run by the Bishop!

I cannot seem to upload my tram pictures into ERs:  They keep coming out sideways, although they are the right way up in Picasa.  Obviously I have an editing malfunction somewhere in the process.

I shall keep trying...................

The trip to Oslo was a very welcome break, although I had the usual transport woes!

got to Manchester airport and the security scanners took a dislike to my cabin baggage.  After the third scan,  the problem was finally identified as a ceramic knife sharpener.  It was the microscopic bits of metal filings that was setting the machine off!  Funnily, they hen had a debate about whether it could go on the plane, as it wasn't on the approved list............................I pointed out that it was not on the banned list either, so higher authority was required to make a decision.

It flew........................but I made a mental note to make sure it went back into my hold baggage for the return trip.

We decided against the Airport Express trip into Oslo, and opted for the much cheaper NSB (state railway) and got return tickets to save the hassle of trying to get then on Monday morning during the rush hour.

We also purchased 3 day Oslo Passes which give free  public transport around the city (tram/ train/underground/bus and boat).  they also gave free access to many museums and discouts of up to 20% in certain restaurants, so were well worth the money.

The return trip started well with us arriving in plenty of time for the first on my choices of trains (NSB) back to the airport.  

Except it wasn't there!

Checking the schedule all the trains running East were around 50 minutes late, so rather than cutting it fine at the airport we opted for the Airport Express service.

I now see why you pay more because our NSB train was staffed by old fat blokes, whilst the AE was staffed by tall slim blue eyed blondes with perfect teeth and lovely smiles.  But I digress.

Mindful of what happened at security on the outward leg, my cabin baggage was packed meticulously, although this time the scanner took an instant dislike to my Kindle.  So back it had to go again (although the Obergrumpenfuhrer's device went through with not so much as a murmur!  all I can say is i'm glad I had all the metal work removed from my left leg some years back, otherwise I'd probably still be sitting in a cell in my underpants!

Finally we got to the aircraft, and got as far as the pushback when the pilot found some loose elastic and the right hand noisy thing wouldn't make any noise at all.

So we had to deplane, enbus and travel to a different part of the airport where a replacement was being readied for service.

I do not like being rude to my elders, but I eventually told an elderly Mancunian who was sitting in the seat opposite me  to stop whining about the delay, as it is always much easier to change planes when they are on the ground rather than wing walking at 25000ft, or on a bit of wire being picked out of the 'oggin.

Give credit to SAS, despite the engine problem, we were only 50 minutes late into Manchester!

I'm now busy planning my cruise in December, although I have quite a bit of Stokesay Junction work to do before it's debut at RMWeb Live in (gosh) under a fortnight's time!

Best get on, but I'm sure a cup of coffee before I start would be a good idea.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I do not like being rude to my elders, but I eventually told an elderly Mancunian who was sitting in the seat opposite me  to stop whining about the delay, as it is always much easier to change planes when they are on the ground rather than wing walking at 25000ft, or on a bit of wire being picked out of the 'oggin.

Winding up people who go on holiday to complain about everything is one of my holiday pastimes. After a few "we are having a lovely time, we are really happy, we like the food..." they tend to go away.

Tony 

Nice pic of Sherry and Ian, at the Mayor's bash:  Lucky it wasn't a charity event run by the Bishop!

Nothing to do with me mate!  I was playing in the annual Abrahamic faiths cricket match, which I don't think Monsewer Fire & Brimstone would approve of!

On Monday I will have to reconsider some of my First Responder routes, because there is no point trying to pass school premises at around 8:30am.  Double and triple parked Chelsea tractors, as they ensure the little darlings (aged up to 18) actually enter the gates.  To think that I was commuting ten miles by train, on my own, from the age of seven. 

I'll sign off now: more work on Höchstädt before its' weekend in Telford.  Also the computer is going into hospital tomorrow, surgery on the CD drive.

Bill

• Like 9

We were told inter alia that marriage is for life and come the Judgement Day all things will be taken into account. Crikey - so much for Forgiveness, which I always thought to be the most fundamental part of Christianity. I wonder how he copes with the two gay guys who were drinking next to him.

You are right Ian - plus, another of the fundamental parts of Christianity is that you don't judge!

Most of us live our lives as best we can.  Sometimes we do things right, and sometimes we make mistakes.  That is part of what being human is all about.

The same goes for the "gay-straight" argument.  We went through a rocky patch in our Church on the subject of same sex blessings.  As I argued at the time, whatever your personal feelings on the subject, it is not up to us to judge others. 

Personally, I believe that if two people are prepared to commit themselves to each other then that is a good thing - but I respect the views of others who disagree.

On a completely different note - welcome back Jock!  Great to see you.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

Yes Pete, went to the lounge after here thanks. With you on the comments about Sherry and Ian's 'preacher' - I normally quote the wee piece of the bible that says his god is all forgiving, and I'll say 'I'm sorry'! And thanks to all of you for the comments, very touched indeed as is Joanna and please, take my thanks for granted? Off back to trawling!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Morning all from the boring borough. day 2 of the staycation.

Good to see Jock back an on form. Let's hope Don B's procedure goes as well and he's back regaling us with his tales of the gormless soon.

I really hate the idea of gay marriage. I also hate the idea of straight marriage. Maybe one day we can dump the divisive labels and just enjoy the fact that 2 people love each other. We could call it "marriage". What a novel concept.

Landy failed its MoT yesterday. Not thrilled with the dealership. They want £1500 to replace all the brake lines. You thieving b*stards did a full check and brake pad & disc replacement less than 4 months ago and you are now saying the lines aren't fit? Took it to the mechanic down the road for a second opinion. "Some surface corrosion but well within MoT specifications". He did fail it on 3 minor things the dealership had missed though. (headlight alignment, battery retaining clip, and dim offside brake light) Total repair cost £22.

Today I shall be mostly building shuttering and pouring concrete for the flower bed edge. Was supposed to finish it last week but the shoulder and hip arthritis had other ideas.

Happy Birthday Tony! to a fellow ER. (not sure if he/she wants it publicised though since no one else has mentioned it yet)

Have a good day everyone.

edit: the big reveal.

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sherry had been to these Mayor's bash events before - and clearly found favour with one or two of the locals, not least because she can and will dance. So it was no surprise that this chap came and asked for her hand on the floor, having done so a year or two back. He did seem a mite confused that Sherry was with a new partner, mind....

post-4295-0-25140800-1409654754_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday, Tony! Hope Aditi is planning to make it memorable!

Although she was rushing off to work she told me as it was my birthday she had prepared my breakfast. This consisted of moving the cornflake packet from the shelf to the kitchen table. Her sense of humour improves steadily.

• Like 3