The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Bank holiday. With bank holiday weather. To say that it tipped it down would be an understatement. So in the rain we ventured for a quick trip to Newton Abbot. What we had underestimated was the roadworks on the A380 on a crucial roundabout and the seeming five mile tailbacks in every direction. Some lengthy walk arounds ensued with a goodly bit of the Torbay area being navigated.

Lunch was in - otherwise our drinks would have been severely diluted.

The afternoon brought a little clearance and a dog walk on a beach. We had thought that the pirates had stayed in Cornwall and we're running the car parks in Penzance, but it seems that a goodly number of them have moved to Devon to do the same job.

So, red sand and soggy dogs later, cooking in the open air following in the footsteps of Keith Floyd, but whereas his one handed cooking involved one hand doing the cooking and the other holding a glass of wine, our one handed cooking involved one hand doing the cooking and the other holding an Argos fishing brolly as it had started raining again.

This pic is of the quintessentially English parade of beach huts at Goodrington.

post-5402-0-58737400-1408995293_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

All interesting stuff, thanks.  As I understand it, the issue is with home converted files (I use a programme I forget the name of - it's on the desktop not this lappy!) when itunes then tries to match the file with a known album name or whatever on the net.  As it can't, then there the issues start and folk seem to lose files or itunes just refuses to recognise them to actually play.  This is all heresay and pub advice though, as I have always used media player and my old Archos without any issues.  Trying to get brave.....

I'm not picky enough to be bothered about FLAC files either!  Most of my sources aren't good enough for that anyway.

Dave, I have to admit to also listening to Pictures at an Exhibition - but the Emerson, Lake and Palmer version!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You can download iTunes for free from the Apple website - have a look for yourself.

Dave

That is a good idea. This PC (my netbook) has iTunes installed but it isn't connected to my Apple iTunes account. I just use it if I need to play mp3 type sound clips. My other pcs (Windows and Mac) and my iPod Touch are all registered with my iTunes Match account and all sync with each other via Apple's iCloud. Anything I put on one is available on the other devices. I know I could copy files across my network but as I have probably mentioned before I will always choose the lazy way if offered.

This just in - package arrived with the post today (NOT railway related) from the National trust, their Holiday Cottages brochure as requested, to enable us to choose a couple of places to stay next year after the narrowboat romp.

All quite satisfactory, and LOVELY PICTURES :),  except for one strange and odd fact. The originating postal label, whcih includes an "If undeliverable, please return to" states it was Post Paid Swiss Post, 8010 Zurich, Mulligen, AND, the return address is;

La Poste UK LTD

8010 Zurich - Mulligen

Switzerland

Quite took me by surprise that the brochure origination and it's return address for the National Trust UK, is in Switzerland!!!

Seems rather daft actually to my simple mind! :jester:  :jester:  :jester: are postal rates better from there, or is printing cheaper? Inquiring minds want to know - sort of...

Evening all. I hope you all had a decent Bank Holiday. It sounds like many have had similar weather to us here in Derby. It has barely stopped raining all day, and the temperature has been more autumnal than summer.

Sadly the weather rather ruined our plans to take Amber to see Peppa Pig at the Great Central. We had a lie in this morning in front of the television although my lethargy was probably down to some late night tv viewing. I was not joining fellow ER members in watching Kate Bush and was watching an American import series "Black Sails" on my Kindle via the Amazon Prime service. Three episodes in and the jury is still out. Not a bad show, but it has not had me totally gripped yet!

We ventured out for a pub lunch this afternoon before I buckled down to some serious planning. Five weeks of Maths duly planned throughout the day which is a serious step forward. I am on a mission to get as much done as I can over the next few days as I have "permission" from Sarah to disappear for the whole day on Thursday to visit the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. I have decided I will only go if I have done enough planning so the motivation is definitely there!

There was an unwanted message from Facebook earlier. One of my "so called" friends from the Sunday football team had volunteered me for the charity Ice Bucket challenge. Despite the rain the challenge was completed and I happily nominated my brother, cousin and one of my fellow teachers. The latter could cause some tension at work - but she has given me enough hassle over the years so revenge is sweet!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. I've had a worse weekend than planned, largely my own fault. My daughter asked me to do a bit of decorating of her bathroom, paint the ceiling, a bit of tidy up of the tiles, and paper on one wall. What should have taken a day, even at my pace, took three days. When prepping the ceiling there was a small bubble where I thought damp had got behind the paint. As I poked at it I realised there wasn't a painted ceiling, it was painted over lining paper that was not stuck down. Before I knew it I had half the ceiling paper pulled down. Patch it up, wait for it to dry before painting. Couldn't start papering until the paint was dried. Meanwhile my wife had decided that the grouting needed refreshing and was busy scraping out the old grout. Anyway, at the end of day three everything looks good, daughter well pleased, more importantly wife thought it looked good as well. Now waiting the suggestion that ours could do with some "refreshing". Who was the fool who said you will have plenty of time for modelling after you retire? 

It is called mission creep anything with SWMBO involved is susceptible to this.....

. . . . . Not sure what tomorrow will bring apart from a visit to a model shop and to get some base board material!  ( Currently theres half a dozen  1:24 scale locos & two truck kits  being finished on the dinning table) . . . . .

Trev.

Have you tried some foam underlay, Trev?

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Should be an interesting morning. 

Job interview - opening up the job spec yesterday it s interesting to see how that has shifted subtly since I applied a few weeks ago!

Would I have applied if I'd seen the current version? Am  about to enter a place AndrewC would describe as "@rseclown central" 

Time will tell.

At the end of the day "I am what I am" and if that's what they are looking for....otherwise they'd do better to carry on looking.

Have a nice day everyone. 

Andy

morning all,rained here all weekend too,andy b's picture above very disturbing....that's where im going late today.....cracked tooth! good luck with the interview matey.

woke up to find jack had managed to slide between me and the missis,looked comfy too,work detector on too all heavy and Velcro like when it came to moving him! did the final bits to my entry for the completion at guildex in a couple of weeks.managed to nurse the car along a bit longer until the replacement is ready,though ill be sad to see it go,its like a member of the family after all this time! have a good and hopefully dry day! 

• RMweb Premium

Hope it goes well AndyB!

Morning from a grey and wet Leeds.

My shoulder is still painful enough to wake me early. It should start getting better now.

Some more fleabag boxes to parcel up and send today and her indoors has a little list of things for me to do, but once they are done more weathering beckons as I have a deadline to keep.

Hope all goes well for all ERs today

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather overcast here this morning. 

Aditi returns to work this morning and it is the first day of her "new" job. 

i will be collecting Robbie from kennels this morning.

I'm sure I'll be able to find a few tidying up jobs too.

Tony

• Like 7

Morning All,

It is a very grey day in this part of the world, and it has been raining practically all night.  It is very soggy now.

To be honest, the weather is extremely strange at the moment.  Here we are in the middle of August, and I am wearing a long sleeved shirt, and yesterday evening we lit the wood burner.

Last night, I had a chap come around to look at the garage door and quote for a replacement.  I hope that his offer is reasonable because he will fit a sectional rolling door - which will be a lot lighter, and easier to open than the 1960s steel door that is on there at the moment!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning, grey, windy and damp here

To be honest, the weather is extremely strange at the moment.  Here we are in the middle of August, and I am wearing a long sleeved shirt, and yesterday evening we lit the wood burner.

Ditto Robert, cant recall using the wood burner in August before, however it was nice and cosy as they say maybe helped by the glass of merlot  I was consuming!

Enjoy your day folks

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Onto more mundane subjects................

Glorious weather if you are a duck!

I cannot understand this obsession with electronic devices for listening to music.

If I want to listen to some tuneful melody, I merely inform my butler, and the band will be told I wish to be entertained...........

Unfortunately the Obergrumpenfuhrer is into Scottish musak, which involves the gardener blowing into an upturned haggis at 6.30 every morning

Morning all. Firstly a quick apology to anyone who has had a strange rating from me this morning, the touch screen on my netbook seems weirdly over sensitive today or I could just not be concentrating! I will make sure I wish Andy good luck for his interview today.

It is grey and damp here in Derby too, not the most inviting day for a trip into work. The classroom needs some sorting out ahead of the start of the new term. I have promised myself the morning in there before taking Sarah and Amber out for lunch. Later I will probably need to crack on with the planning in order to tick some more jobs off the list in order to clear the way for the NYMR on Thursday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Not raining at the moment but more is promised with a possibility of some brighter spells later. Temps may reach 16oC which is rather low for this time of year.

Major disaster yesterday as I discovered we'd run out of cake! I know I had said I'd put on weight and needed to cut down on something but not the cake!  Today we will be shopping.

Another disaster when I fitted a new decoder to a loco, ran it over points set the wrong way, :banghead:  it derailed and as I tried re-rail it it shot off like a scalded cat and there was large puff of smoke. Said decoder is supposed to have short circuit protection so I will have to speak to supplier and see if their warranty promise works. (Being a bit of  a pessimist I won't hold my breath - it's probably my fault)

Have a good one,

Bob.

Currently playing Mussorgsky "Pictures at an Exhibition" from iTunes on my laptop via a USB to a DAC connected to a Quad amp and Castle Speakers and the quality is fine.

All interesting stuff, thanks.  As I understand it, the issue is with home converted files (I use a programme I forget the name of - it's on the desktop not this lappy!) when itunes then tries to match the file with a known album name or whatever on the net.  As it can't, then there the issues start and folk seem to lose files or itunes just refuses to recognise them to actually play.  This is all heresay and pub advice though, as I have always used media player and my old Archos without any issues.  Trying to get brave.....

I'm not picky enough to be bothered about FLAC files either!  Most of my sources aren't good enough for that anyway.

Dave, I have to admit to also listening to Pictures at an Exhibition - but the Emerson, Lake and Palmer version!

I have both the ELP & Orchestral versions of Pictures at an Exhibition, but also have a third version - played solely on an organ.  Wonderful stuff!

As to converting vinyl to mp3 etc, I have used a program called Goldwave.  Does everything I want and a whole lot more.

Nice morning so far here - cool but sunny.

• Like 4