The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A grey, dark overcast all day here, so was subjected to the Q&B experience getting stuff for Mrs NHN's winter crops, then a visit to a local 'exotic' food suppliers for Indian and Chinese supplies - saw a 'kit' for Bobotie which made me thing of Don - hope he's OK.

Windy too here, with a hint of drizzle in the air, it really isn't nice, even the garage and it's toys don't attract the walk done the garden.  Mrs H now in cooking mode and distracting me from wasting my time on line!  I need a new MP3 player as my old Archos is becoming unreliable, with more than 20gB and there  isn't much choice really - I don't want an Apple device as I don't use itoons and don't wish to, as freinds struggle with getting it to transfer MP files made from vinyl etc from Windoze media player, and I have a lot of those!  Sony do  nice one for £550.....a smidge too much for my budget.  Where a smidge equals a factor of about three.  Now it seems I have to buy a phone to listen to music.......pah.

• RMweb Premium

You don’t have to actually use ITunes, Neil.

Best, Pete.

I thought you had to for a ipod classic?  Some people seem to be able to transfer files onto an ipod touch 5 using 'normal' software but some others have issues.  The 'classic' 160gB does  appear to do everything I want, bar.....transfer files easily!

edit - the Classic seems so much better value than a Touch as I don't need all the other guff, but it appears to fail on convenience?

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

A grey, dark overcast all day here, so was subjected to the Q&B experience getting stuff for Mrs NHN's winter crops, then a visit to a local 'exotic' food suppliers for Indian and Chinese supplies - saw a 'kit' for Bobotie which made me thing of Don - hope he's OK.

Windy too here, with a hint of drizzle in the air, it really isn't nice, even the garage and it's toys don't attract the walk done the garden.  Mrs H now in cooking mode and distracting me from wasting my time on line!  I need a new MP3 player as my old Archos is becoming unreliable, with more than 20gB and there  isn't much choice really - I don't want an Apple device as I don't use itoons and don't wish to, as freinds struggle with getting it to transfer MP files made from vinyl etc from Windoze media player, and I have a lot of those!  Sony do  nice one for £550.....a smidge too much for my budget.  Where a smidge equals a factor of about three.  Now it seems I have to buy a phone to listen to music.......pah.

Wondered about that looking out to sea from our north coast - there was dark grey behind and above us, then a streak of blue out at sea followed by the low grey misty stuff further north engulfing the horizon.  Guess it got as far as you then, Neil. Ah, well. Maybe we'll both get sun tomorrow.  It looks better up here in the north.

Polly

• RMweb Gold

I can't recall having any problems with iTunes handling/importing mp3 files. I use a Touch 64Gb and also have a 160 Gb Classic. The Classic gets moved about and stuffed into docking units in the kitchen or garage. The Touch tends to live in the lounge (or on holiday) and I use the Bluetooth to connect to the stereo. The Touch is rather like an iPhone without the phone and the screen is good enough (better than my Blackberry phone) to read emails or well known model railway sites. It can of course also control DCC layouts wirelessly assuming one has a DCC system with wireless!

What I can't comment on is stuff like sampling rates and quality. It would have to be much much worse than whatever is used by Apple for me to be aware of problems.

I have an iPod Classic and find it very good. I use iTunes and imported a whole wodge of MP3 music into it without any problems.

Currently playing Mussorgsky "Pictures at an Exhibition" from iTunes on my laptop via a USB to a DAC connected to a Quad amp and Castle Speakers and the quality is fine. My iTunes library is 40gb with 6,500 files! - that's a lot of music,

HTH

Dave

Evening all. I've had a worse weekend than planned, largely my own fault. My daughter asked me to do a bit of decorating of her bathroom, paint the ceiling, a bit of tidy up of the tiles, and paper on one wall. What should have taken a day, even at my pace, took three days. When prepping the ceiling there was a small bubble where I thought damp had got behind the paint. As I poked at it I realised there wasn't a painted ceiling, it was painted over lining paper that was not stuck down. Before I knew it I had half the ceiling paper pulled down. Patch it up, wait for it to dry before painting. Couldn't start papering until the paint was dried. Meanwhile my wife had decided that the grouting needed refreshing and was busy scraping out the old grout. Anyway, at the end of day three everything looks good, daughter well pleased, more importantly wife thought it looked good as well. Now waiting the suggestion that ours could do with some "refreshing". Who was the fool who said you will have plenty of time for modelling after you retire? 

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a splendid trip, Tony! Keep those photos coming.

Chinese stir-fried beef with onions for dinner (yes, home made), now relaxing on the sofa. As it's kind of looking like rain may be incoming, I suppose that's the best thing to do.

When Kiki looks at you like this, she's meaning to ask, "When do I get food?"

mobile.52taja1.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I have an iPod Classic and find it very good. I use iTunes and imported a whole wodge of MP3 music into it without any problems.

Currently playing Mussorgsky "Pictures at an Exhibition" from iTunes on my laptop via a USB to a DAC connected to a Quad amp and Castle Speakers and the quality is fine. My iTunes library is 40gb with 6,500 files! - that's a lot of music,

HTH

Dave

interesting.  Dave, it's the non-CD sourced stuff I have been reading about that causes issues for some people when importing to iTunes - are your MP3 files sourced from vinyl or (shudder) cassettes or anything like that?  I have a lot of vinyl conversions and some live stuff from YouTube I really like!

My Archos XS2022 isn't bad as a source considering, it is routed via a Musical Fidelity amp though.  20Gb and it is chock full, so any replacement needs to be bigger, i still have a cupboard full of vinyl not converted yet as my Systemdek motor blew up and is irreplacable. I have sourced a Thorens but as yet have not used it in anger.

I thought you had to for a ipod classic?  Some people seem to be able to transfer files onto an ipod touch 5 using 'normal' software but some others have issues.  The 'classic' 160gB does  appear to do everything I want, bar.....transfer files easily!

edit - the Classic seems so much better value than a Touch as I don't need all the other guff, but it appears to fail on convenience?

Sorry I thought you meant with an Apple computer. I have no idea about the iPod, sorry.

Best, Pete.

I took a look at Bermuda as well, its raining heavily there. They used to have an interesting little railway there 

http://www.bermudarailway.net

There’s a tropical storm down there that may or may not turn into a hurricane. It looks like it will graze the North Carolina coastline before heading towards Europe.

We’re looking good for the next week.

Best, Pete.

CORRECTION: for some reason I read Bahamas for Bermuda!

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Neil, if you have got the mp3 files on a device that is capable of running iTunes you shouldn't have anhy problem. Converting the analogue vinyl to some digital format will require some other utility(Audacity is popular). If your record deck has its own line out you won't need  a phono preamp. I have in the past done this for albums that didn't seem to be available on CD or digital download. I can't imagine what one would have to do to have a problem with iTunes.

What I can't comment on is stuff like sampling rates and quality. It would have to be much much worse than whatever is used by Apple for me to be aware of problems.

You can alter the quality between Mp3, Mp4 or CD if I remember correctly - the higher the quality the more memory it eats. For example the stuff on my Soundclick files are Mp3.  It’s all industry standards - not invented by Apple. A CD represents between 500 - 750 megabites, I think. It’s been a while since I looked at the “Red Book”.

Trust this helps.

Pete.

Edited by trisonic

interesting.  Dave, it's the non-CD sourced stuff I have been reading about that causes issues for some people when importing to iTunes - are your MP3 files sourced from vinyl or (shudder) cassettes or anything like that?  I have a lot of vinyl conversions and some live stuff from YouTube I really like!

My Archos XS2022 isn't bad as a source considering, it is routed via a Musical Fidelity amp though.  20Gb and it is chock full, so any replacement needs to be bigger, i still have a cupboard full of vinyl not converted yet as my Systemdek motor blew up and is irreplacable. I have sourced a Thorens but as yet have not used it in anger.

Neil,

I've done both CD and Vinyl imports into iTunes. The CD stuff is straight forward - I insert a CD into my laptop, iTunes recognises it and gets the title info via the internet.

I created a separate folder called MP3 tracks within the iTunes library structure where I place all the vinyl MP3's

I then add them to iTunes via the "Files" menu - either add a folder or a file - all straightforward,

You can download iTunes for free from the Apple website - have a look for yourself.

Now listening to Elgar "Enigma Variations".

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

You can alter the quality between Mp3, Mp4 or CD if I remember correctly - the higher the quality the more memory it eats. For example the stuff on my Soundclick files are Mp3.  It’s all industry standards - not invented by Apple. A CD represents between 500 - 750 megabites, I think. It’s been a while since I looked at the “Red Book”.

Trust this helps.

Pete.

The earlier versions of iTunes sourced material were sampled at half the rate of those now. Apple have all kinds of proprietary formats too but only a few ancient ones purchased when  Apple tunes only played on iTunes or iPods seem to linger on my system. Sensitive souls apparently find CD or anything that will play on an iPod too nasty and insist on FLAC or Ogg Vorbis or whatever is trendy in such circles. I much prefer digital stuff as I can't tell the difference between any of the commonly available bitrates but I do appreciate not hearing wow, flutter and rumble which I could hear on the analogue stuff I could afford!

True, as I said before I record at 2x CD sampling rate both on Garageband and Logic Pro - 96khz;  CD is 44.1khz.

There’s an incredible amount of crap written by people who should know better on the Internet (including me at times).....

Best, Pete.