The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Relaxing at Parc Mayenne, enjoying the luxury of a few hours to myself after a busy time preparing and travelling here. Being a morning person, I found the final few kilometres taxing as it was nearly 10pm last night when I left the port.

I ventured out to buy a few essentials late morning and felt heartened to see, at various stages, a rabbit, a fox and a dragonfly. I can't imagine that I will ever tire of coming here - it's very restorative.

Wishing all those with ailments, including our four legged friends, a good recovery.

Jock: I still watch M. A. S. H. on an odd channel (Freeview) when in the UK. Hope you can find it - sorry, the channel name escapes me.

Enjoy your weekend!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Jock: I still watch M. A. S. H. on an odd channel (Freeview) when in the UK. Hope you can find it - sorry, the channel name escapes me.

Enjoy your weekend!

MASH pops up on Comedy Central sometimes.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, another occasional dip into the soup of life that is ERs, a lot going onnfrom the looks of things so appropriate commiserations, sympathies and well dones to those who need or deserve them.

Thankfully life is pretty normal here, I am now an official pensioner which basically means I get to pay even more income tax as various pensions have kicked in with a reasonably substantial increase in income. It's going to be a nightmare to sort out as I now have 5 pensions, however HMRC assure me that it will all be alright in the end with refunds to match overpayments.....yeh right.

There is a fly in the ointment as my dear old mum can't make up her mind whether to live or die. This might sound flippant but she's been on a rollercoaster between going along steadily and being at death's door for months now so we've sort of got used to it. She's been in various hospitals for nigh on six months now, even if she does get to leave between advanced dementia and a body that is physically worn out there is no good prognosis. Yes, we all may be living longer but what is the definition of living? My mum is still breathing, but that's about it.

On a more cheerful note, still out and about on the mainline with various locos, still enjoying it. I've come off of the regular driving roster on the Mid Hants as more and more the mainline jobs clashed with rostered duties on the MHR, so one had to give. I still do the occasional mid week turn to keep my hand in, but that's about it.

I'm making slow progress with Bodge City, the US switching layout. Currently it's wading through the construction of umpteen buildings, hopefully the winter months should see a bit more progress on this.

I'm off to see my son in Brisbanein a little over four weeks, that should be good. I'm there for 5 weeks so am planning to get out and about to do a bit of trainspotting, both steam and the modern scene, a couple of the Aussie guys on RMweb have given me the heads up on some good spots so shall pay them a visit.

That's about it, health and happiness to all.

No news so far on Debs' collie's progress - I'm sure we will get an update as soon as there's anything to report.

Laboratory-report is back: the samples were consistent with a severe kidney/bladder infection.........so, he`s been told: "keep taking the pills and to remain on rest, light-duties and leash-walks only" :friends:

Afternoon All

Laboratory-report is back: the samples were consistent with a severe kidney/bladder infection.........so, he`s been told: "keep taking the pills and to remain on rest, light-duties and leash-walks only" :friends:

That is good news (especially when you consider the other possible diagnoses)! So plenty of fuss, fluids and treats?

Do post pics of the old lad (what's his name? all I know is that he is "one of the collies")

Afternoon All

That is good news (especially when you consider the other possible diagnoses)! So plenty of fuss, fluids and treats?

Do post pics of the old lad (what's his name? all I know is that he is "one of the collies")

My beloved three Musketeers, in happier times:

"Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno"

"........and then, there were two!" :cry:

My dear 'Cody' (pictured at centre) died last Summer, 'Metheny' (left) is the old-lad presently poorly and their mother: 'Tegwen' (now well-over 15) is pictured to the right of the trio.

Metheny`s name is unusual: he`s named after the much appreciated jazz musician; Pat Metheny......and my lad also very much enjoys being 'patted'. :yes:

• Like 19

Good news Debs - I do love the "keep taking the tablets" from doctors whether human or veterinary, I know there were some jokes around that phrase...

M.A.S.H - one of the best shows ever IMHO, still catch it occasionally on the re-run channels here...

Managed more track-laying last night, even as boring as soldering droppers is, it seems oddly satisfying too.

POETS day arrives with a 19 degree, cloudy, light breeze opening, expected to be 29 for highs today and tomorrow and some storms "maybe", they're getting fuzzier with their forecasts now as the last week has been pretty wrong 80% of the time it seems, we've not had a drop of rain in spite of nightly news forecasts of "rain likely tomorrow" - bah...

Enjoy your day everyone, and hope you all have some exciting plans for the weekend - even if exciting is simply being with your loved-ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The dog owners here should like this .

While dogs can't communicate using human words, they do know how to associate certain sounds with certain things.

Take this smart dog for example. He'll gladly eat treats if they're from people he loves, but mention a certain person and

he refuses.

http://www.wimp.com/dogresponds/

• Like 2

The dog owners here should like this .

While dogs can't communicate using human words, they do know how to associate certain sounds with certain things.

Take this smart dog for example. He'll gladly eat treats if they're from people he loves, but mention a certain person and

he refuses.

http://www.wimp.com/dogresponds/

That`s a great clip! :mosking:  ...........That`s an Aussie-Shepherd; `nice breed. :yes:

Busy, no.

Wet, very.

Fortunately not!!  It was generally a nice day in central Lakeland today.  Managed to visit both Wray Castle and Townend.  There was a shower while we were inside Wray Castle (a 19th century castle pretending to be much older!), but we managed to sit outside for a picnic with amazing views to the Langdale Pikes and Fairfield Horseshoe.  Then to Townend.  Traffic was pretty busy in the Lakes, as could be expected, but we weren't held up too much.  All in all, a great day! 

• Like 4

Today was day 2 of clearing. I'm on duty tomorrow for day 3.

Then this weekend it's cleaning the caravan for the next trip - Stoke Gabriel for a week starting next Saturday.

I might just remember a couple of steam railways in the vicinity ...

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 6

My beloved three Musketeers, in happier times:

"Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno"

attachicon.gifThree Musketeers.jpg

"........and then, there were two!" :cry:

My dear 'Cody' (pictured at centre) died last Summer, 'Metheny' (left) is the old-lad presently poorly and their mother: 'Tegwen' (now well-over 15) is pictured to the right of the trio.

Metheny`s name is unusual: he`s named after the much appreciated jazz musician; Pat Metheny......and my lad also very much enjoys being 'patted'. :yes:

What a lovely group of dogs. They are utterly beautiful animals. I envy you

• RMweb Gold

What a lovely group of dogs. They are utterly beautiful animals. I envy you

There wasn't anyone here untouched when Cody left us.

Debs, what happened to that superb loco you were naming in his memory?

• Like 3

Debs, what happened to that superb loco you were naming in his memory?

It`s structurally and mechanically complete; but my confidence in being able to paint it well-enough, has seriously 'wobbled'......I`m a`feared I`ll absolutely ruin it with a poor finish.......Painting has always been a weak skill with me. :blush:

One of the daftist coments I have come across from a so called "expert" was that the difference between animals and humans is that animals dont

have a sense of humour.

Laurence

Clearly not a cat owner and unfamiliar with horses.

Splendid dogs Debs

• RMweb Premium

The end of a great day.  Canadian friend came around and we ran steam trains outside all afternoon, then his wife and kids arrived later and we barbecued and charcoal oven cooked dinner, although we had to eat indoors as it was rather too breezy out.  Nothing better, running trains with friends and good conversation over dinner, and a few pints of real ale.

NHN is happy.

Even better, said friends are probably going to come back to Fraggle Rock to live, once work is sorted (Mrs Friend is Manx) as they are unimpressed with the ability of the Canadian educational system to educate their (admittedly highly intelligent) kids appropriately.  This will also make NHN happy as he thinks a lot of them.

• Like 10

The end of a great day.  Canadian friend came around and we ran steam trains outside all afternoon, then his wife and kids arrived later and we barbecued and charcoal oven cooked dinner, although we had to eat indoors as it was rather too breezy out.  Nothing better, running trains with friends and good conversation over dinner, and a few pints of real ale.

NHN is happy.

Even better, said friends are probably going to come back to Fraggle Rock to live, once work is sorted (Mrs Friend is Manx) as they are unimpressed with the ability of the Canadian educational system to educate their (admittedly highly intelligent) kids appropriately.  This will also make NHN happy as he thinks a lot of them.

What a great report to brighten the day, and sounds like and excellent outcome in the future - great post Neil :)

P.S. Not that my day hasn't be bright, but I have been working - going well too - but any report of running trains and pints while I'm working has a very good effect, then again so do all the post about our various animal companions.

Now if I can just wake Bob up from his 8 hr. nap, maybe he'll converse with me instead of snoring on the window ledge in between bouts of growling at the birds :jester:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Ian.  I personally find one of the best things about our hobby is the ability to share.  I know there are loners in the hobby, but in general I think it is a gregarious pursuit.  Sharing on line is Ok too, but there's nothing like personal interaction.  My Canadian friend is from a rather different social background to my own, and probably earns more in a week than I do in a year, but that matters not a jot when we sit and talk trains.  Just ask yourself why there is a train on one of the new Canadian banknotes.......

• Like 5

Clearly not a cat owner and unfamiliar with horses.

Splendid dogs Debs

We had a cow who would walk alongside you and casualy nudge you on to the electric fence, and when you yelped she just lookedaround all innocent.

When half a ton of beef decides your going someware it is not a fair fight!

Laurence

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now if I can just wake Bob up from his 8 hr. nap, maybe he'll converse with me instead of snoring on the window ledge in between bouts of growling at the birds :jester:

Ian - you are seriously beginning to sound like my wife!  :yes: