The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. There are times when I can only curse German officialdom for depriving people of time and other key resources...

And there was me admiring all things German...!    Our local officials here are very good at telling you what you cannot do...not what you can.

Will I ever get that ****** bathroom finished..........................I need some modelling therapy...!

Have a nice time today everybody. 

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

No news so far on Debs' collie's progress - I'm sure we will get an update as soon as there's anything to report.

To those ailing - speedy recovery, to those not ailing happy POETS day.

Me- I've got the task of taking 30747's niece to the station ("oh and while you're at it, can you just pick up [here followed a list of stuff to be purchased]. go to the bank, and then get the weekly shop in Morrisons"). 

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

Regarding officialdom, there was a time when there was absolutely nothing you couldn't do in the Canaries, providing the wad of used Euro notes you "accidentally" left on the mayor's desk was large enough. Mobile home erected in the middle of a national park? No problem. 2 storey extension to a bungalow backing onto the beach spoiling your neighbour's view? Si Señor! A lot changes in 5 years or so and I gather a lot of elected Canarian officials are now in jail.

• Like 1

while you're at it, can you just pick up [here followed a list of stuff to be purchased]. go to the bank, and then get the weekly shop in Morrisons"). 

Who invented shopping?

A miserable way of spending time.

Here are Highways and Buyways I suffered in the week.

post-7041-0-66095200-1408088376_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Greetings all from a bright, clear, rainfree Cape Town. 

Watching Sky New's rotating globe showing temperatures around the world, I make a point of comparing London and Cape Town,

Although in London it's Summer and Cape Town it's Winter, it's surprising how often Cape Town is warmer than Lodon.

All is well and peaceful here.

It's Friday, so fish and chips for lunch!

Do mushy peas require a particular variety/cultivar or do you just boil garden peas to a mush?

Enjoy Friday and may your weekend be railwaycentric! 

• Like 8

The "Highway" is there, too, Don.

It's Chester.

Great old buildings and Roman leftovers but the Shopping experience has dropped in standard over the years - used to be very upmarket.

Oh - and I believe they are called marrowfat peas - makes them sound even more repulsive.

Edited by DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Oh - and I believe they are called marrowfat peas - makes them sound even more repulsive.

When I was young ISTR a product with the implausible name Surprise Peas, which sounded like a symptom of bladder problems.

Morning all,

Earlier than usual as I'm off to Colchester soon. Used to lease a cottage at Greenstead near Ongar many years back and it was situated amongst farm fields which were often used for growing peas - the farmer explained that 'marrow fat peas were simply ones which were left on the plant until they dried out (you may have seen the fields full of plants with blackened pods on them) and then they were sent for processing.

Ian, strange that today is called 'Assumption' day as it is also the day that the people of South Korea 'assumed' that it was a good idea to declare themselves a republic in 1948. The country had been taken from the Japanese in wartime and split into two zones - the north being administered by Russia and the south by America. This of course led ultimately to the Korean War which lasted three years and caused the death of an estimated five million combatants and civilians. I shudder to think how it might have ended if Stalin hadn't died late in 1952. Quite a number of my clients were veterans of that campaign and were all unanimous in the feeling that it was possibly going to lead to WW3 at the time. Most of them also thought it was the dirtiest of wars but at that time nothing was really known about the French campaign in Vietnam! Still, on the bright side, it spawned a TV programme which appealed to my black sense of humour called 'Mash'. The final episode in 1983 was, from memory, the most watched TV programme ever!

Flavio, it can only get easier as the run progresses. Shouldn't need too much pre-op work as I have had CT scans every three months(one just a couple of weeks ago) and my bloods and urine are checked monthly. I've still allowed 2 - 3 hours!

Hope everyone gets through today safely,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

I had one of those "there must be more to life" moments yesterday evening. I found myself going through all the kitchen cupboards looking for anything that might be out of date. Worst find was a jar of pasta sauce that had officially died in October 2011. There was a large amount of "green stuff" visible in the jar. Trouble is, being pasta sauce, the "green stuff" was probably meant to be there. I shall never know. Being a coward, I declined to open the jar, flush the contents and recycle. The whole thing went into the bin intact. For an encore, tonight I might rearrange the cleaning products in the cupboard under the sink. It's official, I really really need to get out more. Have a great Friday.

You can come and survey our cupboards if you like.

Seriously, I hope things improve soon. Meanwhile you can bask smugly in tehknowledge that you're one of very few people without something nasty lurking in the kitchen cupboard.

eta: Best of luck Jock

Edited by station cat
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Do mushy peas require a particular variety/cultivar or do you just boil garden peas to a mush?

My grandma used to use dried marrowfat peas and a "blue" bag to manufacture mushy peas... they did work wonders!

I think the ones we get from our chippy tonight come out of a large tin of "chip shop" mushy peas(!).Fish and chips with mushy peas must be eaten with pickled onions and bread and butter and a good mug of tea...in Leeds mushy peas are  often seen atop a warm pork pie with vinegared onions and or mint sauce - - a growler and peas! yummy!!

Have a nice lunch don!

Baz

• Like 5

I have mentioned the home's peculiar insistence on salads.

Today's fish and chips will be accompanied by a green salad (chopped lettuce, cucumber & green pepper - no onion) and carrot salad but NOT by me.   No mushy peas, but the quality of the chips has improved lately to nearly chippy quality with salt  but no vinegar. 

In South Africa chippy chips are called as "slap chips"

DD and others,Thanks for the reply re mushy peas.  I have yet to experience them

As a matter of interest South African Fish & chip shops are owned and operated almost exclusively by Portugese from Maderia

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

First thing is good wishes to Jock and Debs collie/musketeer, and any other illnesses and frustrations.

Just back from the Dr's myself, it seems nothing new has fallen off this quarter, which makes a change.  Semi-retirement is good for me apparently, but Dr refuses to make it available on the NHS.  BP now looking respectable and pill count reducing slightly.  Must run steam trains this afternoon as a reward!

Talk of simple engines takes me to little Lister lifeboat diesels, twin cylinder hand cranked, fine until the weekly check is undertaken in sub-zero tempertures when the thickened oil made it very hard to crank them, even as a fit young thing I was back then.  Happy days.....sort of.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Don, your comment about the temperatures rings very true, given our regular little teases about said measurement!  15c here when I went out, in shirt sleeves.....almost 20 now which will be about the peak, and it seems very pleasant.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had one of those "there must be more to life" moments yesterday evening. I found myself going through all the kitchen cupboards looking for anything that might be out of date. Worst find was a jar of pasta sauce that had officially died in October 2011. There was a large amount of "green stuff" visible in the jar. Trouble is, being pasta sauce, the "green stuff" was probably meant to be there. I shall never know. Being a coward, I declined to open the jar, flush the contents and recycle. The whole thing went into the bin intact. For an encore, tonight I might rearrange the cleaning products in the cupboard under the sink. It's official, I really really need to get out more. Have a great Friday.

I will have to sort my kitchen cabinets out, October 2011 is probably quite 'new' compared to some items lurking at the back of mine, I recently found some stuff from 2007!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

snip<

I've just re-read the manipulated images 'discussion'. Some people have very high opinions of themselves, don't they?

You're not wrong, I totally fail to understand how people can get so het-up over a hobby, especially in a forum dedicated to discussion of the hobby in all it's forms.  Maybe topics should be titled if they are deadly serious and any slight drift will result in ex-communication or something.  Pixel-counters..... not rivet counters. I take the manipulated images as they are intended, to give an alternative view. Maybe RMWeb isn't a democracy but a dictatorship in some areas.  I see someone has posted a light hearted image to cool things down!  Well done Clive.

• Like 1

I have mentioned the home's peculiar insistence on salads.

Today's fish and chips will be accompanied by a green salad (chopped lettuce, cucumber & green pepper - no onion) and carrot salad but NOT by me.   No mushy peas, but the quality of the chips has improved lately to nearly chippy quality with salt  but no vinegar. 

In South Africa chippy chips are called as "slap chips"

DD and others,Thanks for the reply re mushy peas.  I have yet to experience them

As a matter of interest South African Fish & chip shops are owned and operated almost exclusively by Portugese from Maderia

Portugese chippies are not uncommon in the UK. I think our local is Portugese (i'm sure i've seen a Portugal flag in there though I may have imagined it). We also have a Chinese chippy locally. I once read an article about the nationality of chip shop owners in Britain, there's quite considerable variation - apparently East Anglia has a lot of Cypriots but I can't remember what other trends it highlighted.

Salad with fish and chips is just odd. Especially if the chips are properly fried - who wants greasy salad?

Well I'm definitely inspired now, I think i'll go to the chippy for tea tomorrow (already have macaroni cheese for today). I can look for Portugal flags whilst i'm there.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

When I was young ISTR a product with the implausible name Surprise Peas, which sounded like a symptom of bladder problems.

The surprise was that they would probably give you a bladder problem. Freeze dried peas if I recall.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

And there was me admiring all things German...!    Our local officials here are very good at telling you what you cannot do...not what you can.

John, it's really not that different in the netherworld of German bureaucracy...

• RMweb Gold

I have come to the conclusion that those that model in N gauge must have eyes like microscopes and 4 hands each fitted with fitted with  6 fingers the thickness of a ant's leg.

I've just finished fitting a new set of drive shafts to a Farish class 47, which I picked up dirt cheap off Ebay for the Stokesay fleet as it 'wouldn't go'.  It does now!

Initially I had planned to make up a new set of shafts, but as we all know, an engineer can make for £10, what you can get from the Bachmann spares dept for £2!

When I made the decision to 'go small', I was torn between 'N' and 4mm scales.

Justification for picking 4mm has now been vindicated, although the siren call of 7mm is sometimes heard when the wind blowing is from a certain quarter.

More worrying is the painting that occured this morning:   No spills and clean hands.

Perhaps working with a 1:1 scale door and paintbrush does have some advantages.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A not pleasant morning over here, rain off and on - fortunately off whilst I captured 66039, on pixels, heading for Norwich on the stone.

You're not wrong, I totally fail to understand how people can get so het-up over a hobby, especially in a forum dedicated to discussion of the hobby in all it's forms.  Maybe topics should be titled if they are deadly serious and any slight drift will result in ex-communication or something.  Pixel-counters..... not rivet counters. I take the manipulated images as they are intended, to give an alternative view. Maybe RMWeb isn't a democracy but a dictatorship in some areas.  I see someone has posted a light hearted image to cool things down!  Well done Clive.

Neil - best not to feed the trolls, they will then become united in other places. These people always remind me of that scene from Fatal Attraction - "I will not be ignored", I think that's the issue, they need their egos stroking and when people don't they get all precious. Ignore them.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Some clouds and sunny spells today.

Food "sell by" dates etc.  For many years SWMBO's job was checking dates on food at Messrs Sainsbury and doing the price reductions. (Any missed and spotted by Environmental Health or whoever  inspected the place would result in prosecution of the company, possibly the employee and also dismissal. She is absolutely obsessed with food dates and since then I've been trying to convince her that you won't get food poisoning if you eat something one minute after midnight on the use by date! She still doesn't believe me. :nono:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 1