The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately Vanessa learned an important lesson.

If I’m not being driven to Gatwick I book a night at a Airport Hotel, in return most (do check) allow free parking until your return from overseas plus free transport to check in.

Best, Pete.

What sort of "lesson" has she learned, Pete? Easy for those of us in employment or who make frequent flights. Vanessa is a widow in her late-50s. She lives in rural Suffolk and runs a small stud-farm, not making much money, and does several "just-jobs" to help out. She has a son doing his A-levels. Every day she is away she has to pay someone to look after her valuable animals, so having an extra overnight is not a cheap option for her. Anyone who engages with a firm has a reasonable expectation they will deliver. She needs a holiday as much as anyone, and this has no doubt set her right back. I hope she will be contacting the local chamber of commerce, as this is a very expensive failure by the firm, whose right to trade should be under review as a result if they have a history of such performance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What sort of "lesson" has she learned, Pete? Easy for those of us in employment or who make frequent flights. Vanessa is a widow in her late-50s. She lives in rural Suffolk and runs a small stud-farm, not making much money, and does several "just-jobs" to help out. She has a son doing his A-levels. Every day she is away she has to pay someone to look after her valuable animals, so having an extra overnight is not a cheap option for her. Anyone who engages with a firm has a reasonable expectation they will deliver. She needs a holiday as much as anyone, and this has no doubt set her right back. I hope she will be contacting the local chamber of commerce, as this is a very expensive failure by the firm, whose right to trade should be under review as a result if they have a history of such performance.

Working out how to deal with an airport departure is always difficult - even if you know (or think you know) what you're at.  The first time I used LGW (Gatwick) was many years ago - I flew out on a Comet - and I used a hire car to get there and a train on the return.  When I (very occasionally) used it business wise it was simply a train from London and the last time we used it for a holiday departure I took what seemed the simplest course and used one of the airport's long term car parks - very straightforward and in my view much simpler (and considerably cheaper than any sort of valet parking or using an off-site car park.  But look on the 'net and there is a whole jungle of parking methods available at Gatwick including a lot of valet parking companies with off-site parking - finding the simple option might not be so easy unless you put exactly the right search term into Google or any other search engine.

We boobed considerably earlier this year, when we went to Norway, by deciding to stay overnight at LHR to avoid an early start - when we subsequently found out (changed over to on the homeward trip) a taxl direct - quick and convenient and not too expensive.  But of course that choice is only available if you live close enough to the airport.  So yes - a direct example that even when you think you know what you're doing you can get it wrong (or rather Mrs Stationmaster got it wrong ;) ).

Johnny Winter  1944 - 2014 RIP

I know that there are a couple of fans of John on here. Unfortunately I just heard that he passed away in Zurich on Wednesday 16th July.

Expect a final release “Step Back” - with Eric Clapton, Leslie West and the Rev. B. F. Gibbons amongst others.

Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Apropos of Ian's friend missing her flight thanks to an airport service reminds me of the occasion when I opted to have my car valeted while I was in Scotland for a day - when it came down to it, the cost of a full valet and transfer to the terminal was actually cheaper than a day in the short stay, and only slightly dearer than the long stay.

I parked my new company car in the bay indicated by the guy, and he said that the transfer bus would be along in a minute - it was, and it backed into the shed, and just kept going into the parking bay - result was one rather bashed up vehicle, and a very irate me - missed my flight while sorting out the problem (of course) and the company operating the valet had to arrange a walk-up fare on the next flight to Edinburgh as well as organising a repair to my car, and providing me with a hire car in the interim.

I hope that Ian's friend manages to get similar recompense

• RMweb Gold

Daughter & SiL used a meet & greet service at LGW last year and were so impressed they booked it again this year. AFAIK it worked OK as they got away on the right flight.

In other news I went "aloft" and made a start on the clearout. I then made the mistake of assuring SWMBO that it was going to be an extremely fine day and it would be a good idea to hang out the washing.

And then it rained.........heavily.......and that was when the fight started! :threaten:  :girldevil: 

PS Thank you Dominik - those tubes look rather good.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

You seriously expected me to be aware of her history - whose making assumptions?

I have no idea how much "meet and greet" costs but it has to be more expensive than parking your own car in the parking lot....

Still love you though.....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

You seriously expected me to be aware of her history - whose making assumptions?

I have no idea how much "meet and greet" costs but it has to be more expensive than parking your own car in the parking lot....

Still love you though.....

Best, Pete.

Some examples here Pete - these are peak period prices of course as far as the airport's own car parks are concerned (and maybe for the others as well?).  In theory you may get what you pay for but at least the terminal car parks are reliable in my (limited) experience.  BTW 'Summer Special' is an official LGW car park but it is off-site.

https://secure.airparks.co.uk/carparks/availability?from=2014-08-20%2018%3A00&to=2014-08-28%2019%3A00&agent=WT312&location=LGW&flightsearch=1&operator_initials=RDR

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of accessing car components. I once had a Bedford Dormobile conversion, as part of the conversion a step was added to the nearside door in doing so they reduced the size of the battery access panel, making it smaller than the battery.

• RMweb Gold

Airport parking and transport adds considerably to the stress and expense of travel.It depends on which airport and times of departure and arrival..Then factor in ease of access and exit on return.

There is a big difference between using LHR& LGW and smaller provincial airports..and you have to know exactly what you're doing before you start.

Mike is right when he says on airport parking at Gatwick is the best option,the only problem is the airport itself !

As regards LHR,the easiest access and parking is Terminal 5.....straight off the M25 and straight off the car park into the terminal .We last used it,however, a couple of years ago flying to& froJFK and opted for an overnight airport hotel stay with free parking .A taxi ordered by the hotel cost £12.....the Hoppa being a pain in the neck...to T5.The return was 07:00 on a Sunday morning. Black cab from T5 to car at hotel......stung to the sum of £28 ! No rhyme or reason,is there?

We're fortunate in being but 20 minutes drive from East Midlands Airport.The only problem with that is usually they don't fly from there to places we want to go.EasyJet no longer use it.They had once upon a time a return schedule to Geneva at midday....you could be anywhere in Southern Europe with quick car hire with typical Swiss efficiency from there...no longer. It is now the fiefdom of a certain Dublin bus company.....but beggars can't be choosers,so as we were offered a room in a Catalunyan converted farmhouse for a week foc courtesy of my wife's niece & her husband,we bagged the last two seats on a flight to Girona & return a week later

We use on airport parking there...pre booked.The weird thing is,however,that off airport parking with bus transfers costs exactly £30 MORE for a week ! Again,no rhyme or reason.

As a postscript,two friends of ours have a son who works with aircraft handling ground side at EMA. He was sent to Gatwick to assist with the troubles they have been having there recently.Apparently,to assist with the baggage problems,a contingent of handlers was sent over from New York. Immigration put them straight into an airport hotel and they were returned next flight to JFK....without so much as lifting a finger....NO WORK PERMITS....oops...Other disaster stories involved imported workers who were of no use because they had no English. This is England,folks..

• RMweb Gold

We had a tremendous display this afternoon from the Red Arrows flew right in front of our house doing the red white and blue smoke. Loops and other shapes all the fancy stuff. It was part of Minehead Summer F|estival but being on the hill looking out to sea across Minehead we got a great free view.

Don

• Like 6

Was about to type 'morning all' and it's actually a minute past mid-day... foiled yet again!

It never ceases to amaze me just how fast ER posts seem to move on, playing catch up when first dipping in often means missing entire pages while you read the previous 24 hours worth of stuff! Anyway, hope all's well whichever bit of land mass you're currently residing on.

First cuppa of the day successfully downed so it's time for brekkie... I'm going to fry some home grown cherry tomatoes in a mo, I had some yesterday and by 'eck the taste is wonderful - makes a lot of shop bought tommies seem utterley bland in comparison. Might bung in some onions too then dump the lot onto some toast. With Wuzzashire sauce, naturally.

Talking of working on or servicing modern cars, since I bought the Alfa Giulietta at Christmas I've been getting to know what's what under its svelt Italianate bonnet, it looks a lot less 'hermetically sealed' or complicated than some contempary cars and topping everything up and checking the levels is a simple pleasure. It's only a four pot oil burner but goes really well, considering the look of the car it's in though, the engine ought to sound better, but it's given me a taste for having another Alfa... I still hanker after a V6 Brera deep down and may get one soon. Not everyone's cup of tea these, the bulbous rear end doesn't quite match the front's aggressive beauty and the relatively short wheelbase can look odd from some angles, but having driven one they do feel 'special' in a way you can't quite put your finger on, which when it comes down to it is the essence of all good Alfas. An older classic 105 series Giulia coupe would be even nicer but the values are rising rapidly!

Time to fire up the fried tommies methinks...

Ahh another Alfa fan, such beautiful cars. I've always loved the look of the Brera, but was severely disappointed with the performance, the Brera does not go as fast as it looks!

For now I'll stick with my 156 Selespeed, a stunning car to drive and the induction roar now I've removed the stupid OE system and replaced it with a large cone is music to your ears. Will probably trade up to a 159 next year.

Speaking of working on cars with inaccessible items, it's the only thing I dislike about the Alfa. The air filter is behind the front bumper, and was so difficult to access I ended up ripping the whole induction system out (via the passenger wheel arch!) and replacing it with a cone filter that doesn't require maintenance. Even with the induction system gone, changing a headlight bulb still involves the use of a mobile fone camera pointed at the bulb holder inside the headlight and working from what you can see on the fone screen. There's barely enough space for your hand in there, let alone getting your head in there to see what you're doing!

Mark

Consultant visit today - all OK - chemical indicator (PSA) has been at the same low level (0.2) for the past five months, that was three months after the end of radiotherapy. In March last year it was 8.9.

Work needed 50% less application of the magic wand today - but I was only there for half the time :)

Clearing tomorrow - fun.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mike`s (Stationmaster) yacht as seen alongside, today:

attachicon.gif13aug14~1.jpg

attachicon.gif13aug14~2.jpg

attachicon.gif13aug14~3.jpg

Delightful - I noticed she was back in L'pool for this week's changeover, that's 2 weeks in succession.  And a nice view - in your first pic - of our cabin window on this year's (regrettably curtailed) trip.  Here she is again, with lots of reflections, when we were servicing the Varne light vessel during this year's trip - more or less in the middle of the English Channel with the white cliffs of Dover in the background  (and next year we get certain advantages, including 7.5% off the price as we're now qualified as regular travellers  :sungum: ).

post-6859-0-40142100-1407963137_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Model railway club night tonight, just leaving the clubhouse at 9:15 this evening, looked up and saw a bat fly overhead. The clubhouse is a former cricket pavilion on a cricket pitch that has plenty of trees for them to roost.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A busy day spent unblocking a drain and then shifting a few tonnes of earth from one side of the garden to the other.

This evening was spent under Stokesay looking at the signals wiring loom.

Now drinking 'Major's Reserve' , although at the rate the level is going down it might be better called 'Major's Retreat'.

Painting doors tomorrow as my trip to Llandudno has been cancelled.