The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning, having a bit of a problem posting right now. In office as we have a lunch meeting with out - of - town managers but on arrival at office Internet is down! Comcast (provider) called but who knows when they'll fix it. So for now trying to post from phone - aaarrghhhh.

On dash - cam issue probably not speeders so offended as those wa*n*keys who drive like idiots and are caught/posted on YouTube for all to see and be suitably surprised by.

23 already here after a cool night but supposed to only reach 27 and partly sunny today.

Damn I hate trying to type on a phone :(

Have a good day all.

Stationmaster Mike, I've just noticed that your recent posts on this thread are typed in an upright font, rather than the italic in which I've grown used to reading your words of wisdom . Not that it matters, but - any particular reason?

Stationmaster Mike, I've just noticed that your recent posts on this thread are typed in an upright font, rather than the italic in which I've grown used to reading your words of wisdom . Not that it matters, but - any particular reason?

I'll wager Mike's 'travelling washing machine mechanic' hit the italic button on his keyboard with the wrong sized hammer.... ;)

(I'm typing this with one finger as my other hand is currently otherwise occupied, holding a bit of tissue to my bottom lip which I cut shaving over two hours ago...nurse, nurse...!)

• RMweb Gold

No reason - on here I use normal font, elsewhere I use italics.  There is a reason for the latter - it helps me find my previous posts (within a thread) fairly quickly when scanning though the pages and that is handy when talking about modeling (sorry Debs) or prototype railway stuff (sorry Debs),  Here the checking back over a lot of pages usually isn't needed so I don't bother with my 'help me to find it' font.  Simples innit.

Mind you sometimes I forget myself and have to do a quick edit - if I realise in time.

• Like 1

Happy memories of time spent at Bridgmere when we lived at Little Haywood (Staffs.)  - it used to be a treat to take my late mother there for an outing. Now my DD''s mother-in-law works there but isn't enjoying the experience, not least the journey to and fro from Crewe.

We loved our two visits to Oslo - the guided tour of the City Hall was interesting, although the memories of the horrors of WWII were vividly recalled by our guide. It would not have been a comfortable tour for any Germans in the party!

And on both occasions we had good weather - we were there in mid August.

Hope your visit meets expectations.

Living at Little Haywood, you would be familiar with Ingestre Hall Sherry. Have taken many a group there for Art Courses since 1975

• RMweb Gold

I'll wager Mike's 'travelling washing machine mechanic' hit the italic button on his keyboard with the wrong sized hammer.... ;)

(I'm typing this with one finger as my other hand is currently otherwise occupied, holding a bit of tissue to my bottom lip which I cut shaving over two hours ago...nurse, nurse...!)

That 'travelling washing machine mechanic' was a right pain in just about everywhere Nidge.  The bloke who used to come on the insurance contract jobs was a nice chap from Reading and he tended to check to see what we thought the fault was before he came and try to have a suitable part with him plus he knew exactly how to remove an old bearing (it always seemed to be bearings going) using suitable tools and knowing precisely how to set up the drum on something to get the old bearing out with a single tap in exactly the right place.

By contrast our friend from the Dark Continent seemed not to have the faintest idea, turned up with no parts despite a description of the fault in advance, failed to order a spare but also cancelled the next appointment instead and when he did arrive with the right piece seemingly had very little idea of how to quickly and easily knock out the old bearing.  Overall I was quite surprised we didn't finish up with an oval drum the way it clattered round the patios and back garden and I found it rather worrying that he had to borrow tools from me to do what seemed to be a quite commonplace job.  It might have been him or it could just as easily have been down to inadequate training but which ever it was he hardly caused us to brim with confidence.  Anyway that machine is now slated for razor blade manufacture etc and it owes us nothing as it was an insurance replacement of an earlier one which was beyond economic repair.

• Like 3

Some stupid idiot has just ripped the CD player out of his computer.  Luckily he had just finished copying a batch of portfolios for the South Western Circle.  Just off to tonight's Prom, Sibelius 5, buying padded envelopes en route.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Back from Bridgmere.

That cost me lunch and afternoon tea.

Total spend in the sale was...................£2.99.

Don (The Godfather) Bradley's 'Gormless' must have a number of relations in the area, whom were all out in their motor cars this afternoon....... Including one who insisted in overtaking in such a fashion that both the oncoming car(me) and the car being overtaken, both had to come to an abrupt stop. Luckily, I was only doing 60 when the c*ckwomble decided that he'd try martyrdom as a new hobby.

Later we met another who was so hesitant at a road junction that the Obergrumpenfuhrer had to write him a polite invitation requesting he emerge onto the main carriageway.

• RMweb Premium

Later we met another who was so hesitant at a road junction that the Obergrumpenfuhrer had to write him a polite invitation requesting he emerge onto the main carriageway.

Somewhat like the people who seem to be waiting for a particular shade of green at traffic lights .       :butcher:

• RMweb Premium

I would love to find out what happened in Pitsea Tesco's car park this morning. Two quite badly damaged vehicles with police and paramedics in attendance. One vehicle (a Mitsubishi pick up) was straddling the raised path between the sections of the car park at a 45 degree angle and another car parked correctly in a bay with severe frontal damage. The security guy on the door told me that it involved as many as six vehicles, most of them parked.

• Like 1

Afternoon all

Busy weekend and busy week ahead with fringe, book and official festivals on the go.

Saw the James Plays on Sunday, Rona Munro's new 15th century set about James I, James II and James III of Scotland. Quite an undertaking and good to get some Scottish history having suffered the Tudors and Thirty Years War at school; discovered that James I was Henry V's prisoner for 18 years until he was in his mid-20s. 

Sofie Gråbøl (The Killing's Sarah Lund) plays James III's wife, Queen Margaret of Denmark in the final piece, and she really displayed her acting chops - she gets every nuance of the English language and really commands the stage. A real privilege to have seen all three plays in one day.

It's transferring to the National Theatre, London, next month - if you have 8 hours to spare and enjoy theatre it's worth a punt, but do take a soft cushion to prevent numb-bum.

Mal

Edited for spelling...

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 1

Afternoon all

Busy weekend and busy week ahead with fringe, book and official festivals on the go.

Saw the James Plays on Sunday, Rona Munro's new 15th century set about James I, James II and James III of Scotland. Quite an undertaking and good to get some Scottish history having suffered the Tudors and Thirty Years War at school; discovered that James I was Henry V's prisoner for 18 years until he was in his mid-20s. 

Sofie Gråbøl (The Killing's Sarah Lund) plays James III's wife, Queen Margaret of Denmark in the final piece, and she really displayed her acting chops - she gets every nuance of the English language and really commands the stage. A real privilege to have seen all three plays in one day.

It's transferring to the National Theatre, London, next month - if you have 8 hours to spare and enjoy theatre it's worth a punt, but do take a soft cushion to prevent numb-bum.

Mal

Edited for spelling...

I would love to visit Edinburgh again; we were last there in 1997 and attended about 17 Fringe events in five days, including some excellent youth productions. Only one play was so indecipherable that we left before the end. The best part were the bars set up at each venue. Good times as we'd invested in bus passes for the duration so no worries about parking or driving but some very long waits on Princes Street!!  

• Like 2

Back from Bridgmere.

That cost me lunch and afternoon tea.

Total spend in the sale was...................£2.99.

Don (The Godfather) Bradley's 'Gormless' must have a number of relations in the area, whom were all out in their motor cars this afternoon....... Including one who insisted in overtaking in such a fashion that both the oncoming car(me) and the car being overtaken, both had to come to an abrupt stop. Luckily, I was only doing 60 when the c*ckwomble decided that he'd try martyrdom as a new hobby.

When all the holidaymakers come down here to Bournemouth and cause absolute chaos on our roads, we have to send our locals somewhere else to cause mayhem. Sorry it was your town today! Generally our locals are somewhere between 75 and dead years old, and drive at a speed that would allow a horse and cart to overtake them. Those white lines in the road - they can't see them. Roundabouts really confuse them and god help anyone using a roundabout at the same time!

Mark

Having had to dismantle [seemingly] most of the front-end of my car today, to get to the reservoir and pumps; I`ve finally managed to get the Pup-mobile`s window washer jets working again :imsohappy: .......Peugeot clearly began with a window washer tank and then built the rest of the car around it! :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Having had to dismantle [seemingly] most of the front-end of my car today, to get to the reservoir and pumps; I`ve finally managed to get the Pup-mobile`s window washer jets working again :imsohappy: .......Peugeot clearly began with a window washer tank and then built the rest of the car around it! :rolleyes:

Ah yes, had the same issue with a Citroen ZX a few years ago, a near relation of the pup-mobile I think?  I'm sure they build cars around the heater matrix as well as the washer bottle.

DD; remembering a previous holiday hotel I hope that you enquired if it was "Children friendly" and how far your room was from the Children's entertainmet area.

I've carefully chosen dates when they are all back at school (in theory).

Bargain holiday. Episode Two.

I need a couple of new pairs of casual shoes.

Today included a trip to 'Cheshire Oaks' and Chester.

Cheshire Oaks was erected to drive normal men insane - especially if, like me, they are shoppingphobics.

I was offered constructions designed to make clowns of ordinary men manufactured in India to the exacting standards of a donkey sanctuary at prices that would make our friends at Lobbs wince.

A pair of sneakers which might have been suitable for wearing on dark nights were reduced by 45% .... to £99.99.

"Is that each", I enquired, "or for a pair?"

SWMBO meanwhile worked very well to make the journey seem worthwhile by buying enough to mean a third suitcase might be needed.

Shoes: Nil  Boredom and fury: Outstanding.

To be continued.

Evening all.  Spent all day surrounded by cardboard, bubble wrap and tape as demand for my bits and bobs I'm selling almost outstripped total labour capacity (me).  Thankfully it all went out on time.  I was slightly embarrassed to find a UPS driver at the door to collect a package around 11am though.  With all the chaos that was going on, I'd taken it to the drop off point and completely forgot they were coming to collect it.  Of course he had no shipment numbers, so I spent the next minute or two searching the house for the missing package.  Eventually the penny dropped...

The good news is that space is being created and the bank balance looks a little healthier.

Funny thing now is that guys are now PM'ing me asking 'have you got some so and so's?…..

• Like 7

....Andy, I can't ever recall seeing the river that high on frequent visits to the area (perhaps the locals will disagree), although the remains of a swept away bridge would suggest that it has happened before, ...

Apparently the current bridge is the 4th at this site. The first two were swept away (1799, 1829), the 2nd by Telford replaced and the fourth still stands. 

Further upstream waves of water were breaching the embankment yesterday, but that is in a more rural area.