The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Interesting discussion about single malts, and one which seems to turn up on ERs on occasion, and it's good to see alternative malt-related viewpoints.  As to some malt-related rarities, I used to be on a mailing list for a well known off licence chain which had a very keen whisky buyer, who was able to secure some unusual and rare parcels from some of the distilleries and other independent sources and which were bottled up from the casks so obtained.  ISTR that I was offered a cask strength 50yo Macallan, and a 60yo Bowmore.  I had tasted the former before via a contact in Edinburgh, and TBH, all I could taste was cask - it had lost all on its subtlety over the last 25 years, as the 25yo was stonking.  I never sampled the Bowmore as it was being offered at about £1500 a bottle, and the Macallan was £999. 

I too have been disappointed by some older malts and so am convinced there is an optimum point in the maturation process. After this point improvement is negligible or there are, as you pointed out, changes in taste that are undesirable.

I don't think you would be able to give a general optimum age that would work for every distillery or even every distillation and casking within a distillery.

It would be nice to obtain funding to research the idea though.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Oh, but it suits you, Polly.

Well, I did bag a few loco cabs during the month of June.  They suited me fine.  Very fine, indeed.  :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well I collected the brush-cutter from Sheena. I knew she hadn't used it in quite a while - her green period has seen her perfect the art of using a scythe, yes the old-fashioned long-handled type. Sigh. Took me ages to get the spark-plug out of the block, bending the arm of the supplied tool in the process. Cleaned it all up and added fuel - bingo! Except the head wasn't right, the cutting blade looking limp and useless. So I took it to pieces, compared it to the diagram, found there was another bit Sheena had handed me, but when I replaced it as per, the thing was tight and no way could it move. Puzzled, I started to remove the lock nut again, when it all suddenly came good - the head had been rusted solid, with only the spindle rotating. Now runs fine. Turns out to be an elderly model, no longer sold in the US or France, maybe Europe, due to emission standards. Those weedy bushes had better watch out!

Heavy showers appear to be dying out, and it's quite sunny. This is the side-wash from Bertha, they tell us.

• Like 8

Pleased to say that I slept like a baby last night and no Poppies were harmed, eaten or otherwise ingested. A Healthy slug of Glen’ Artein may have helped.

Arm and Neck feel even mo’ better today - just some vague pins and needles. I’m a lot happier.

Thanks, Mick, for the Pm’s. He now has my health history from birth......

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Well I collected the brush-cutter from Sheena. I knew she hadn't used it in quite a while - her green period has seen her perfect the art of using a scythe, yes the old-fashioned long-handled type. Sigh....................

....er....shouldn't that "sigh" be "scythe"??!!

• RMweb Premium

Pleased to say that I slept like a baby last night and no Poppies were harmed, eaten or otherwise ingested. A Healthy slug of Glen’ Artein may have helped.

Arm and Neck feel even mo’ better today - just some vague pins and needles. I’m a lot happier.

Thanks, Mick, for the Pm’s. He now has my health history from birth......

Best, Pete.

As I only know you as Trisonic Pete I think your secrets are safe with me although it was 38 years ago I signed the act.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I too have been disappointed by some older malts and so am convinced there is an optimum point in the maturation process. After this point improvement is negligible or there are, as you pointed out, changes in taste that are undesirable.

I don't think you would be able to give a general optimum age that would work for every distillery or even every distillation and casking within a distillery.

It would be nice to obtain funding to research the idea though.

I am fully in agreement here - the cask seems to take over in a lot of older malts at around 30 years - though I also agree that there is no hard and fast answer - I have discussed this with some whisky experts including a couple of buyers, and they feel that the more robust the original whisky, the less chance of the cask taking over.

• RMweb Premium

A'noon all.

Early start this morning, to Groudle of course, our 'Clifftop Concerts' day.  Forecast awful weather cut attendance rather, and the weather was holding OK-ish as the day went on.  We left at 3pm as we are looking after Jayne's house and animals while she has a week away, and as we drove away from Groudle the rain arrived with a vengance, and hasn't stopped since - it's throwing it down!

It really isn't nice at all outside now, howling wind and torrential rain, I was going to saunter down to the garage and do some modelling but that is on hold now.

As for painkillers, I survived on a combination of codeine/paracetomol and tramadol post hip surgery, tramadol is a synthetic opiate and I was told is basically non-addictive.  If that's non-addictive I would hate to get off the hard stuff, it took some steely reserve to cut it out, I still occasionally have to hit the codeine/paracetamol in prescription strength occasionally but less than once a week now (tonight may differ- too much woodcutting yesterday and dampness today!).

Whisky - hate it!  Rum, however..... :angel:

Edit for spelling and to admit when it comes to spritis I'm a Philistine!

Edited by New Haven Neil

So Mick, that makes me feel terribly old.  I last signed the Act 40 years last month, when I started full time employment for the Post Office.  I've still got my copy somewhere.  In present day numbers, that is half a life time ago.  Sh1t.  Actually that was the fourth and final time I signed the Act, the previous three times were for holiday jobs.

Bill

• Like 3

As I only know you as Trisonic Pete I think your secrets are safe with me although it was 38 years ago I signed the act.

Maybe you better understand my aversion of the spotlight, though? I really appreciated your concern though, mate.

Best, Pete.

Stewart, do you always have Islay with a drop of water? My (Scottish) Aunt always said that you should (but don’t ask me why)....

Yes Pete, I do, as it "opens" the whisky considerably, releasing a lot of the volatile components which are otherwise locked up in the liquid.  I prefer to use a bottled water - Highland Spring wherever possible.  Not all whiskies benefit from this - many do, but some of the Speysides don't.  A drop means just that - about one drop of water - no more than a quarter of a teaspoon at most.

David Daiches, in his “Scotch Whisky; Its Past and Present”, says that how much water one adds to one's whisky is a matter of personal taste, and: 'I have known some real experts who drink single malt whisky with the same amount of water added, which seems a lot. Of course, much depends on the strength of the whisky and when you are drinking it. With a normal 70 degrees proof [40% ABV in UK] whisky I myself would add a little Malvern water if drinking it before dinner and none at all if drinking it after dinner … if I want to savour fully a whisky of (greater) age strength and quality, a few drops of water bring out its nose and ”release the natural oils”; one may wish to add some more water after this initial tasting ...” and much more in that vein.

I don't regard myself as a connoisseur, and put plenty of water in mine. I learned early to respond to remarks of the “A real Scotsman doesn't put water in his whisky” kind with “A real Scotsman drinks what he bloody well likes”. One listens to the opinions of friends on the matter, of course, as is sensible in all things, as a help in finding out what pleases oneself.

Your health, gentlemen!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Whisky - hate it!  Rum, however..... :angel:

admit when it comes to spritis I'm a Philistine!

That makes two of us. My tummy doesn't take well to spirits, so I seldom touch them. Bottles of this and that gathering dust here. OTOH, if Sherry wants a Cointreau on the terrace after dinner, I will always make an exception....

Brush-cutter has had 30 minutes intensive use and passed the test with flying colours. Horses were unimpressed - but they weren't wearing ear-defenders as I was!

• Like 4

Evenin' all, as Jack Warner used to say ;)

Not long out of bed, it being nights for me this week, so haven't had a proper gander at ER postings - hope all ailments and woes are swiftly and easily dealt with wherever you all happen to be.

Witnessed a shocking bit of 'driving' on the M1 at Newport Pagnall on the way home from work this moring - 8am, torrential rain, seriously torrential in fact, spray everywhere, you get the picture - I was in a group of cars bimbling along carefully so as to avoid certain death when along the outside lane comes a white '14 plate 4x4 doing what I estimated to be at least 80mph, there are two cars in front of me in the middle lane with safe gaps between us all, matey boy in his flash new lifestyle accessory is just passing the front one when his back end starts doing the hokey-cokey, he just catches it, narrowly avoiding hitting the central reservation and the car he's overtaking, then loses it completely, spinning round just in front of the other car, then veers (while still spinning) across in front of the other cars in the inside lane, he just misses the front one then ends up facing south on the exit slip road from Newport Pag services. It was one of those things that happened in a flash but replaying it in my mind's eye, I can see it all in slow motion, it was shocking to see. Had I or any of the other cars being doing more than 50mph he'd have no doubt culled quite a few of us in his little sideways adventure, but what really shocked me was that he didn't appear to learn his lesson as he came flying past me again at J16 doing at least 90mph! No doubt his meandering was caught on CCTV, I hope so anyway. Some people eh!

Keep 'em peeled.... ;)

• RMweb Premium

So Mick, that makes me feel terribly old.  I last signed the Act 40 years last month, when I started full time employment for the Post Office.  I've still got my copy somewhere.  In present day numbers, that is half a life time ago.  Sh1t.  Actually that was the fourth and final time I signed the Act, the previous three times were for holiday jobs.

Bill

I was nearly 20 when I signed it does that make you feel any younger?

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all, as Jack Warner used to say ;)

Not long out of bed, it being nights for me this week, so haven't had a proper gander at ER postings - hope all ailments and woes are swiftly and easily dealt with wherever you all happen to be.

Witnessed a shocking bit of 'driving' on the M1 at Newport Pagnall on the way home from work this moring - 8am, torrential rain, seriously torrential in fact, spray everywhere, you get the picture - I was in a group of cars bimbling along carefully so as to avoid certain death when along the outside lane comes a white '14 plate 4x4 doing what I estimated to be at least 80mph, there are two cars in front of me in the middle lane with safe gaps between us all, matey boy in his flash new lifestyle accessory is just passing the front one when his back end starts doing the hokey-cokey, he just catches it, narrowly avoiding hitting the central reservation and the car he's overtaking, then loses it completely, spinning round just in front of the other car, then veers (while still spinning) across in front of the other cars in the inside lane, he just misses the front one then ends up facing south on the exit slip road from Newport Pag services. It was one of those things that happened in a flash but replaying it in my mind's eye, I can see it all in slow motion, it was shocking to see. Had I or any of the other cars being doing more than 50mph he'd have no doubt culled quite a few of us in his little sideways adventure, but what really shocked me was that he didn't appear to learn his lesson as he came flying past me again at J16 doing at least 90mph! No doubt his meandering was caught on CCTV, I hope so anyway. Some people eh!

Keep 'em peeled.... ;)

Was it a white Audi Q7 ? See previous posts about speeding in the rain on the M6.........

Evening all,

A lovely day up here in the Highlands. Raining a bit though. 

Jock, no midges on this side of the country. Well, I've taken 12 successive holidays here and not seen one. Perhaps they are hiding like all the trains on the wcml were! 

Popped in to the local 2nd hand bookshop and purchased a copy of "Layouts for limited spaces" by Nigel Adams. Always like to spend this time of year mulling over layout ideas. 

The wet weather means we're putting in plenty of hours by the pool. My youngest's swimming ability is somewhere between "Can't quite do it properly" and "Woohooo, I'm going for it!" The end result is that we have to swim alongside him for when he suddenly runs out of puff and sinks to the bottom of the pool! 

iD clearly my Full Scottish breakfast was a half measure. I shall procure a haggis shortly to make up for it! 

Anyway, hope you all have a pleasant evening. Andy

• Like 1

Gordon S: can you check you PM box or whatever it is called. I am getting a message saying you can't accept any more.

Just had a massive senior moment.  Lesson for the day.  Please ensure your mailbox is not full before advertising stuff for sale….:-)

I wondered why no one seemed to be interested.  Thanks for letting me know, Warren….

What a dope!

Now, good evening Sir, can I sell you something...

Driving with a caravan up the A30/M5/A46 today with gusty and strong cross winds was like being on a horizontal roller coaster.

Cull option Cullompton services is cr@p for caravans - drive in reverse out - we detached the van and used the motor mover. Other people were having fun as well.

The new Gloucester services get full marks - designated caravan area with bays and drive in/drive out no problem - well designed.

Taunton Deane you share with HGVs. Also fun. But much less fun than Cullompton.

Edited for damned autocorrect.

Edited by Coombe Barton