The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A changeable day weather wise. It started overcast and dull before giving way to warm sunshine mid morning. Amber and I enjoyed playing in the garden whilst we were visited by one of Sarah's playgroup friends who had come to relieve us of our supply of cardboard boxes.

In the afternoon we went to Masson Mill shopping village in Cromford. My Dad had told me that their Hornby outlet was having a sale. It turned out to be quite disappointing with nothing to tempt me away from any cash. At least the new Bachmann catalogue was pushed through our door today, complete with members magazine so I had that to enjoy, and plan more of a shopping list. A few things in there for the loosely planned new project.

Sadly it seems that I am still not free of the incompetence of B.T. Despite cancelling my account on the 14th July they still took money from me on the 16th. I duly cancelled the direct debit and all of a sudden they were contacting me asking me how I was going to pay. I had an email yesterday and a phone call today. Funny that! I told them in no uncertain terms that I had cancelled the account and after several transfers of departments and time on hold I was told that the account should be fully closed by Monday. Just the four weeks late then!!

I'm happy with that.  I'll post Tr**ns instead. :jester:

My dinghy racing days are well and truly over, too, as is camping in any weather.

I like my comfort these days, though I have been known to stand on a station platform in the rain waiting for a steam train to run through.  Still some go in me, then.  

Please don't do that Polly.  If you post pictures of Treens they'll be going on about Dan Dare and the Mekon for weeks.....................

• Like 1

Evening All,

Mrs iD and HM back from their Hols, so no more lurching into the ER's snug, knocking back several pints of cooking lager, hurling drunken abuse at all and sundry, before being ejected by one of the Mods..... Sigh, happy times.

I've not been around much due to theatre commitments and given the abysmal weather we've had lately here, it hasn't been fun rehearsing open-air theatre (in the round) in a cold drizzle... Premiere next Thursday, dress rehearsals Tuesday and Wednesday. After the run I hope to get back to - Gasp, Shock, Horror - some railway modelling!

Sorry to hear of sundry misfortunes, but better being old, decrepit and cranky, than pushing up daisies.

The "workman" video amply illustrates the concept of "evolution-in-action" although the individuals concerned did remain reproducible.... Which brings me nicely to today's <new word for Debs> : AUTODARWINATE (v). The act or process of permanently removing oneself from the gene pool.

Well off to supper, have a good'un

iD

• Like 11

I had a urine test a couple of years ago, and specific mention was made of the lack of solids in the sample. There seemed from memory to be two or three types that were sought and not found. Apparently that was good news!

I sometimes think we could do with a 'too much information' button..........................

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like kidney stones! Painful!

My brother had kidney stones which resulted in his losing a kidney. It was marked by considerable back pain which fortunately I don't have. I have on occasions had a sharp pain in the lower groin area but that has only lasted a short while. I'm wondering if it could be bladder stones. I have an appointment with my GP first thing Monday so I will be able to discuss it then.

• RMweb Premium

A changeable day weather wise. It started overcast and dull before giving way to warm sunshine mid morning. Amber and I enjoyed playing in the garden whilst we were visited by one of Sarah's playgroup friends who had come to relieve us of our supply of cardboard boxes.

In the afternoon we went to Masson Mill shopping village in Cromford. My Dad had told me that their Hornby outlet was having a sale. It turned out to be quite disappointing with nothing to tempt me away from any cash. At least the new Bachmann catalogue was pushed through our door today, complete with members magazine so I had that to enjoy, and plan more of a shopping list. A few things in there for the loosely planned new project.

Sadly it seems that I am still not free of the incompetence of B.T. Despite cancelling my account on the 14th July they still took money from me on the 16th. I duly cancelled the direct debit and all of a sudden they were contacting me asking me how I was going to pay. I had an email yesterday and a phone call today. Funny that! I told them in no uncertain terms that I had cancelled the account and after several transfers of departments and time on hold I was told that the account should be fully closed by Monday. Just the four weeks late then!!

I hope you asked for a refund.

Evening all from the borders! Day one of our trek to the Highlands went well with a 5 hour drive from Shrewsbury. A bit of rain but nothing too bad. 

Another 4 or 5 hours tomorrow with a drive across the Glenshee pass. Most likely it will be through rain clouds! 

That's what I love about our annual holiday to Scotland. You can always rely on the weather. 

Most importantly is what to have for breakfast tomorrow morning. Past experience is that they serve a modest bacon, sausage, egg and toast or porridge. 

Yet more calls from recruiters today - I was manning a pedallo at the time which may well have been harder and more work that the muppet recruiter will ever find me. LOL. 

Have a nice evening everyone. Andy

• RMweb Gold

Another 4 or 5 hours tomorrow with a drive across the Glenshee pass.

I love the 'glide' down from the summit to Braemar. The road is superb.

It's 8:30 and it's almost dark.

What's happening?

I love the 'glide' down from the summit to Braemar. The road is superb.

It's 8:30 and it's almost dark.

What's happening?

It must be the end of the world ................................ or maybe the end of the fine spell of weather?!

Morning all.

Sunny but hazy with quite a bit of high cloud.

Not a lot of wind so the boats may struggle a bit in the Regattas, though it might pick up later - last day tomorrow.

Which brings me to a few pics I took on Monday.

Behind the start line.

attachicon.gifP1010134 The Menai Bridge.jpg

Telford's Menai Bridge, built in 1826, in the background.

Polly's pics bring back memories of when my father had a boat moored at Port Dinorwic and we sailed through the Menai Straits.  Also got rather seasick sailing back to Dinorwic from Llanddwyn Island (south west corner of Anglesey) one time when the swell got up!

Visit to the Dentist in Cockermouth today - just as we arrived, the skies became extremely dark and then the heavens opened.  I cannot remember seeing rain as heavy as it was for 5 or so minutes!  I just pulled into a car park to get off the road and wait for it to subside.  Fortunately it eased off else Cockermouth would have soon flooded again.

• Like 1

I thought it was to be called Bertha? (The weather that is...)

Managed to down load all the printer scanner drivers, loaded Office 2013... and most importantly downloaded Model Railroad Hobbyist!  

Work tomorrow as the containers are escaping tonight (yes-no-maybe!) 

Sleep well, 

Trev

• Like 2

Afternoon all,

It would seem the Passport Office(s) difficulties are hitting home with 'staycations' the flavour of the month - herself spent a considerable time trying to book us into 'somewhere', then 'anywhere', east of Exeter at the end of next week for her uncle's funeral plus a short break away and very difficult to get in almost everywhere (but success in the end).  Next question will be whether the roads will be as crowded as the hotels & pubs; $64,000 question is will I be allowed to go to Beer and chuck in the Fleet Air Arm Museum on the way home?

Well you could just leave her here and take me instead. I'm very amenable to that kind of suggestion - though if you get to go to Beer I want to go to Cider :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Briefly passing by ...

Koln (Cologne) was very busy - plenty of trains for a couple of hours and then some tourist stuff - the Cathedral, shops in the old town and a ride on the cable cars - a return trip where we had to disembark and re-queue. The Germans aren't very good at queuing and when a guy with about 11 mates jumped in front of us it was too much - to simplify the conversation I pointed out that jumping in front of others was rude, he told be things were different in Germany so I told him his English was very good but he needed to understand and use one phrase more - "Good Manners"

Spent yesterday out and about photographing the local trip working, some passengers and private shunters at Dormagen and also some workings on the Neurath Power Station lines.

Talking of boats, due my impingement of the shoulder I have been forced to turn down a chance to go canoeing on the Rhine, can't risk suddenly losing the ability to row when we are in the middle of several Rhine barges !

Enjoy yourselves all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

BT! they must have been watching me say how good they are.... apparently it's our hub which is a problem..replacement on the way.....

it has rained here - so hard the noise of it bouncing off the velux in the work room meant I retired downstairs...

Have a good evening/night and lets hope for a great Saturday and Sunday!

baz

Jock - any news on tonights' tipple?....whatever it is .. slainte

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

And for tonight's enthralling story.  Earlier on I hear a noise over on the far side of the study almost like a mouse moving about but I could find nothing so decided it was probably an 'age thing'. Popped out to refill my teacup and returned - to find a frog (or maybe it was a toad) under the 'puter desk.  Calling on the good Doctor for assistance my aim was to catch it and return it to the real wild outdoors but it was like trying to swat a fly - every time my hands closed in it jumped.

However eventually we got organised, her Doctorship opened the front door and I sort of marshalled the leaping frog/toad towards the study doorway, which is right next to the front door - result.  Er, no - frog/toad leapt into the hall, turned towards the front door and met Simbah bearing down on it from the opposite direction so instead of leaping out of the door it leapt in the opposite direction, chased by the cat.  Cat quickly grabbed just as frog/toad was about to take refuge under the hall chest and then we were back to 'marshalled frog leaping' as we gradually herded it towards the front door and our its freedom.  It left the porch before cameras could be organised and Simbah is now out on garden patrol - as he is unable to catch most things I doubt we'll see frog/toad in the study again (I hope).

• RMweb Premium

Spent yesterday out and about photographing the local trip working, some passengers and private shunters at Dormagen and also some workings on the Neurath Power Station lines.

I've long wanted to pay a visit to the RWE Power routes myself!