The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

But, even with the above guidelines, there have been several rather hair-raising choices for given names which were even reviewed in court. Some examples – particularly infamous ones, in my opinion – would be Heydrich, Moon Unit, Stone, Tom Tom, Woodstock, Lafayette Vangelis, Godot, Alpha or Sundance.

I'll be honest that I definitely question the sanity of some parents when they thus display such utter disregard for the well-being of their children. I'm all for personal liberties, but even so, there are certain limits.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Sitting here in the front room with the horrible smell of soot as it is chimney sweep day - and also log delivery day, so we are well prepared to run the stove as soon as the weather turns a bit dreich.  Looks as if there's a lot of soot this year, as he's just carted a second bag out to his van - I did have to use some softwood logs, and of course, then had to use some flue conditioner which breaks the creosote down to a tilth which comes down when swept.  Still £45 is better than a fire - sweep tells me that he has had customers who opened up their fireplaces, and didn't get the chimney swept until after the inevitable conflagration - madness!

I've also caught up, and as usual there's a bit too much to comment on, as I was not here yesterday, and commenting individually on each and every post would take ages - so generic greetings/commiserations are about all I can offer.

I'd best shoot now as the guy's almost finished and will want some cash handing over.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

• must, with various exceptions such as Gerhard, not be in use as a family name,

Crikey - that's a bit restricting. My late FiL was all surnames - Elliott Stirling Miller! Elliott and Stirling were the maiden names of his mother and grandmother.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. 

Struggling to keep up with all the latest due to connectivity. So, commiserations and congratulations awarded as appropriate!

I brought my suit up with me on holiday as the recruiter I was dealing with was certain that I'd be called for interview this week. I'd have been happy enough to drive back down but all I got each day this week was "maybe tomorrow..."

During a lunch at the SVR the other day I could barely get stuck into my food without a company phoning to arrange interview details; so positive news in most respects.

Anyway as I'm due to drive up to Scotland tomorrow I thought I'd spend today with my children. I took the youngest trainspotting at Shrewsbury and later on we'll no doubt take his football and frisbee over to the park. Interviews can wait until I return home now, methinks.Trainspotting doen't seem to be as exciting these days as they seem to be entirely a series of DMUs. Rather typically as soon as we walked off the platform and back onto the river embankment we saw the top of a long freight train above the bridge parapet; the only loco haulage we'd have seen all day perhaps.  

Tomorrow is a 4 hour drive up the M6 with the MiL threatening an 06:00 departure. I don't think so!

Being a weekday there may well be more action on the WCML than when we normally drive it on a Saturday? 

Saturday it's another 4 or 5 hours over to Aberdeenshire.  

Have a nice day everyone, Andy. 

But, even with the above guidelines, there have been several rather hair-raising choices for given names which were even reviewed in court. Some examples – particularly infamous ones, in my opinion – would be Heydrich, Moon Unit, Stone, Tom Tom, Woodstock, Lafayette Vangelis, Godot, Alpha or Sundance.

I'll be honest that I definitely question the sanity of some parents when they thus display such utter disregard for the well-being of their children. I'm all for personal liberties, but even so, there are certain limits.

Moon Unit Zappa is a popular actress over here. Friends call her Moon - which is quite delightful.

Dweezil Zappa may not have been so lucky but it works for him as he hasn’t changed it.

I have no idea why “Governments" think they should interfere so much in people’s lives.

Odd really.

Best, Pete.

Morning Afternoon all from the boring borough. Another quiet day I hope. George is feeling a bit better. He had his post procedure checkup today and things are flowing freely. With that the decision has been made to postpone his major surgery for now to give him time to fully recover as long as his plumbing continues to behave.

With regards to names. The first nations people of the western plains generally had their names directly translated into English. This leads to such wonderful monikers like Lawrence Standing in the Road, Elvira Weasel Fat. Weasel Fat is a fairly common name in Central Alberta, as is Beaver, Crow, Moose, and other animal names. I knew a Bobby Bison in school. Not to mention the fictional character from the Royal Canadian Air Farce, "Billy Two Willies".  

Which leads me into a classic joke. A young native boy was sitting outside the teepee one day and asked his father how his brother got his name. His dad replied. My son, when a child is born the father looks out of the teepee and the first thing he sees becomes the name of the child. That is why your brother is called Flying Crow. When my father looked out of the teepee he saw a running elk, so I am Running Elk. Why do you ask Two Dogs F*****g?

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 2

Agreed, governments shouldn't interfere. But parents really should think, too. Children particularly like to fit in, not stand out. But if you move in a celebrity world  with the Apples, Cruzs, Harper 7s and so on, maybe you'd feel out of place being called David. Even if your Mum is Madonna.

Didn't Zowie Bowie decide to be known as plain old Duncan?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back from shopping having spent my tokens...

as someone who rejoices in two first name/family names I always check that I have been booked into hotels either as Barry O or O Barry... trust me it happens!. Problems start when I bought my latest umpiring gear - which has my initials on the front of the polo shirts and jackets.. BO.. still I could have been called fred(!)

Morning - little to report and I think all the "names" commentary is about concluded, so I'll leave/avoid that :)

Had a nice gathering of friends for a "Happy Hour" last night at a local watering hole, most enjoyable outside on a lovely garden patio under the waning sun/stars.

Today has me doing some remote training (starting in 5 minutes - YIKES!!), can often be a challenge and after enough time hurts my ears as I prefer to use a headset rather than the PC mic/speakers, oh well ;)

17 overnight 20 now and 27 later with again clear skies, mild humidity, and generally very pleasant for August...

Hate bringing up anything TV related as much/most of it is crap, BUT, Mrs and I and our "canal boat holiday" friends have become engrossed in "Last Tango in Halifax", and are getting together for the second season finale tonight! Not sure why I/we like it, it's so totally NUTS, and I continue to be amazed by the diabolically idiotic turns the plot takes, hmmm! :jester:

No spoliers please for the end-of-season, but general comments, even related to my sanity at watching the thing, are encouraged! :O  :jester:

Oh, and it's BIN day here too...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm wondering if the same thing as happened on a previous trip up the M6 will happen tomorrow.

We were just returning to our car at a service station when the driver of the car parked next to us said:

"I know you."

"Erm..."

"Your face looks really familiar."

"Erm...well, I was on a few billboards around the West Midlands a few years back""

"No. You were that chap on TV!"

"Erm..." (the cutting room floor is where I've appeared most often).

"You look really familiar!"

"I've never been on TV. Perhaps you recognise my face from when I was on the radio?"   (mentioning with a straight face to a very brief appearance on the Chris Evan's show and on BBC Radio Solent)

Puzzled look from my accostee. "No that's not it..."

We get back in the car and head back on to the motorway.....into a 20 mile queue of crawling traffic....with my new mate in the next lane giving me sideways, puzzled looks for the next hour....

"Drive FASTER! He's gaining on us again!" says I to swmbo....

"??? It's a traffic jam, idiot!" 

I think the motto here is, if a nutter latches on then don't deny it....shamelessly make up you're celebrity status, bask in it, demand a selfie with the fan, celebrate it and for heaven's sake....run like hell before they twig that you really aren't some bloke who they finally believe you to be who was on BBC Look NorthEastwards-ish in the 1980s!

This time I shall simply say....

"Oh, yes, Gordon's the name, remember me from Eggheads?"    :jester:

Afternoon all from a very sunny Clacton,

Just got back from hospital where my oncologist continues to be delighted with my progress and so now I'm on my fifteenth cycle of chemo! Bound to be some disruption around my coming op. but he said that I had made the right decision in his opinion!

As to names, my parents followed a Scottish clan tradition, naming the eldest after the previous eldest and so I carry the first name of my dad's eldest brother. An odd thing is that when a sub branch of the clan is dying out, the name is used as a middle name in the first born hence my middle name of Wilson! We as parents decided to ban the name Wayne from our list as with the clan surname of Kerr, we didn't think it appropriate! It is very sad that so many parents don't consider the effect that there choice will have when their child gets older.

I'm now being reminded that I didn't cut the grass as planned on Monday, so I'm off to get the mower ands trimmer out. I'll post again tonight if I've still got the energy!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

Hate bringing up anything TV related as much/most of it is crap, BUT, Mrs and I and our "canal boat holiday" friends have become engrossed in "Last Tango in Halifax", and are getting together for the second season finale tonight! Not sure why I/we like it, it's so totally NUTS, and I continue to be amazed by the diabolically idiotic turns the plot takes, hmmm! :jester:

No spoliers please for the end-of-season, but general comments, even related to my sanity at watching the thing, are encouraged! :O  :jester:

I’ve watched it a couple of times (it’s on Sundays before “Masterpiece” in New York.

What struck me about it (in the ones that I saw) that its your typical Soap but it is most beautifully filmed.

Very evocative of the area. One of those series where I would have liked to have done the music soundtrack.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"You look really familiar!"

"I've never been on TV. Perhaps you recognise my face from when I was on the radio?"   (mentioning with a straight face to a very brief appearance on the Chris Evan's show and on BBC Radio Solent)

Puzzled look from my accostee. "No that's not it..."

We get back in the car and head back on to the motorway.....into a 20 mile queue of crawling traffic....with my new mate in the next lane giving me sideways, puzzled looks for the next hour....

"Drive FASTER! He's gaining on us again!" says I to swmbo....

"??? It's a traffic jam, idiot!" 

I think the motto here is, if a nutter latches on then don't deny it....shamelessly make up you're celebrity status, bask in it, demand a selfie with the fan, celebrate it and for heaven's sake....run like hell before they twig that you really aren't some bloke who they finally believe you to be who was on BBC Look NorthEastwards-ish in the 1980s!

Not sure if they were nutters but a couple of teachers at Matthew's secondary school were convinced that Matthew had an older sister as they "remembered" me from previous parent teacher evenings. Some poor chap must be going round being asked about Matthew. When Matthew was 4 he convinced his very nice reception class teacher (she left soon after Matthew started) that he had two older sisters called Georgina and Henrietta. He was very convincing.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning - little to report and I think all the "names" commentary is about concluded, so I'll leave/avoid that :)

Had a nice gathering of friends for a "Happy Hour" last night at a local watering hole, most enjoyable outside on a lovely garden patio under the waning sun/stars.

Today has me doing some remote training (starting in 5 minutes - YIKES!!), can often be a challenge and after enough time hurts my ears as I prefer to use a headset rather than the PC mic/speakers, oh well ;)

17 overnight 20 now and 27 later with again clear skies, mild humidity, and generally very pleasant for August...

Brit TV drama at its best.Beautifully filmed.Neatly observed .Well acted with a strong cast.It's why our theatre and drama are the best in the world...bar none.At the moment,we have a drought of decent TV drama,though things improved last night with Kay Mellor's latest serial 'The Club' which revolves around the experiences of a group of expectant mothers in Leeds.As zany as 'Last Tango' and strong meat in parts.Set in the same area too...Enjoy!