The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Sunny and rising past 22degrees now.

Just back from the monthly blood test, required by my chemo team for my consultation on Thursday at Colchester General. Should hear about the possibility of having an operation tomorrow.

Pete (Trisonic), what a beautiful piece, and what a special ability to be able to pay tribute to one of the many fallen heroes in such a lovely way. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Baz, a lovely story in part; strange how the soldiers often helped a fallen comrade even if he was one of the enemy. We heard the tale,during the TV programme on last night's service, of a Tommy who fell fatally wounded into a shell hole. A German soldier discovered the body next day, clutching a photo of himself, wife and child with his address on the back. He went to the trouble of getting that back to his wife via a circuitous route involving the Red Cross in Switzerland! Tales that probably show that the common soldier probably didn't really want to be there once they saw the inhuman carnage that was being wreaked. The other part of your post is not so pleasant - 'Missing In Action' leaves a family without true closure. My great grandfather was lucky enough to survive the war only to return to the mines where pneumoconiosis got him instead!

Tony-S, do you think the pigeons are quiet because they've seen Richard's weapon? ( Ooh Er Missus!) Just read Richard's post about a spy, as well as the very moving comment in the one about Jutland.

Back to the mundane now, hope to put the three seater garden swing back together again after painting the component parts, and I notice that the weed patch which doubles as a lawn here, appears to need another cut. It doesn't help when we have such sunny days with torrential downpours like last nights!

Soon be at the hump again at this rate,

Kind regards,

Jock.PS, Just read Alan's post and my heart goes out to you and your family - as has been mentioned, it might be expected but it is still hard to bear!

Sherry, sorry to hear that you are a bit down. Try to look on the bright side, these tasks are moving you nearer to your ultimate goal! Jock.

Edited by Jock67B

• RMweb Gold

For some reason the stories of WW1  always effect me more than those of later wars....fortunately both my Grandfathers survived relatively intact.  One was groundcrew  with the RFC/RAF, the other was in the middle east, though he did catch a bit of shrapnel in his leg. 

Trev.

I think there are a number of reasons why it will always be the one which means the most to some of us - firstly because we knew people and had relatives who had been in it and who in some cases still carried the scars (in my case a great uncle still suffering the effects of a gas attack 40 years after the event) or who in some cases related stories about it.  Secondly because it was really, for Britain the first war to affect almost every family in some way or another and to leave its mark in many ways a lot of which will never be forgotten, similarly it was the war in which the 'citizen soldier' played a huge part in enormous numbers again leaving its mark on our society - even if it is just as a war memorial.  And it had an effect on many areas of literature plus bringing changes to society so in social terms it is a huge landmark.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And G'day all,

Main business of the day done - blood sampled for the INR clinic, cheques paid into the bank account (MY bank account!), and the local WWI exhibition visited - some excellent views of much of the town from old postcards and my oh my did it look one heck of a lot better in 1914 that it does today (the lack of cars makes a huge difference).  Plus the results of someone's research into local casualties in that war which are not recorded on any of the war memorials locally - alas some of the detail is incorrect but that probably can't be helped with records 100 years old but I do wonder about the idea of recording deaths of people who had moved away - I wonder where else their names appear on local war memorials (e.g two of them were in the Canadian Army so had obviously emigrated before the war - you could only join that army if you were a Canadian resident)?

Condolences to Alan.

• RMweb Gold

Secondly because it was really, for Britain the first war to affect almost every family in some way or another and to leave its mark in many ways a lot of which will never be forgotten, ...

My maternal grandmother had her life somewhat changed. Her husband was missing believed dead in 1918. She had two children. She then met my grandfather but they had to wait seven years before being able to marry. Therefore any children (my mother included) who were born before the marriage were illegitimate and many people seemed to revel in letting them know, including the older step brother. Mum's birth certificate had her surname as Gran's first husband but her Dad erased it and wrote his name, therefore explaining why her certificate had a hole in it where Granddad over erased!

Gran's first husband wasn't dead. He had deserted and got on a ship to Canada where he started a new life. This all was revealed when as he made arrangements after his death to leave something to his children and there was one of those "if anyone knows etc" ads in the paper.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Have managed to a catch up, and while achieving that, and b burn the meat as it has just boiled dry while I was reading six pages.

Not really a lot to report today, but must just offer condolences to Alan and family.

Sherry - it never rains etc - but tomorrow may well be a better day.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

Condolences to Alan and the family

Sherry, long road still  I'm sure but there is light (and Ian) at the end of the tunnel, hold on, we're all here to steady you.

Funny how milestones are seen differently - over here (at least in the mid-west) there was a tiny 45 second report on the WW1 heads-of-state gathering, and off we went to other mundane pointless reports in the news. Even though for the US it was certainly less significant, I am still surprised at just how little coverage there was, the papaer was similarly missing anything of substance.

I still remember my great-uncle, who fortunately was only wounded, but bore the limp and walked with a cane his entire life. He didn't talk much about it, but I'm glad he survived.

Nice day here, 17 and maybe getting to 27, sunny, low humidity and a breeze.

Much discussion about the fact that our summer has probably/technically peaked, and we are, according to the forecasts/estimates, unlikely to see much more in the way of hot 30-32+ weather this year...

The Minnesota State Fair, one of the largest in the country, "by all accounts", starts in a couple of weeks and that always signals the end of summer here. Running ten days through Labour Day, everyone expects cooler weather and the approaching winter to be heralded after the fair is over - time to repair or tune-up the snow-blower and make sure snow shovels and winter clothes are ready, hard to believe it's approaching that fast...

Enjoy the day everyone, smile and consider the fortune of having a group such as this to share our joys, woes and challenges with.

I know reading this every day brightens my outlook, thank you ERs.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Only if you can get the obdurator to work.

Jamie

Jamie

with my past history getting it to work is no problem AND you don't need a shotgun/firearm licence for a 120mm rifled gun....

The ones in the USA are being "re-militarised by welding breech blocks together etc. They now have a big fleet of Chieftains over there .. one wonders why?

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have somewhat mixed feelings about the commemorations of WW1. Many of the men who did return came back to a world where there was no enough jobs and many found life a real struggle. Admittedly Grandfather who had lost an eye among other injuries did find the war pension a life saver during the depression but the loss of the eye had closed many jobs for him. Too add insult the failure to ensure a lasting peace meant he had started to get life sorted out when they were bombed out in WW2 and lost all but a few things they could carry.

I have tremendous respect for those who sacrificed for the good of other but when the government and the military hierarchy are still denying responsibility for those who were exposed to radtion after ww2 shows a different side to their appreciation of the ordinary soldier.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Alan - bereavement is perhaps the oddest of human experiences. We know we are all mortal, and that everyone you've ever met is dead or is certainly going to be at some stage. The fact that the deceased was in a poorly way, and already well past his best at 87 no doubt, makes not the slightest difference to how we feel. Those left behind need to gather together to some extent - and not just for the dreary day and the hopefully not-so-dreary wake - but to offer mutual support now, to talk about the departed and the good times and good things he brought about. The funeral may well mention the word "celebration" and that is the attitude we must try to adopt about our reflections. Easy to say - tough to do.

As Sherry has said, she is up to her neck in milestones today, but at least has spent the afternoon doing her volunteer duty in the church office. I hope she's been a bit busy.

Lunch in Le Mans and a bit of shopping, then off to Belleme to deposit the cheque. I decided to use the Autoroute for a change - almost 2 years after the car last traversed one. The doofer still works, though, and as I approach the barrier, there's a beep and it lifts. It doesn't save money, but I will be billed directly for the same fee. Sure beats fiddling about with cards or cash! Having come off at the Ballon exit, I headed north through Dongeul on the road to Mamers, only to find a police car blocking the road for some reason, so did an about turn and diverted via Marolles. Belleme is twinned with Goring on Thames. I have to use a bank in Normandie for deposits, since Credit Agricole seems to have a number of different fiefdoms, almost as if they are different banks using the same franchised publicity. Cash machines are as universal in application as in the UK, though.

• Like 2

Evenin' all,

Laptop issues at TG Towers just now....the old one died last week...I then spent a few days trogging around for repair options but accepted that a new one was a good idea...so ordered the suggested nearest replacement and ended up with this notebook (which has a fraction of the features of the old one). It uses Windows 8.1 and I can't get rid of the so called help tabs on the screen which obscure the stuff which I want to read. Having contacted the customer services they've agreed to take this one back and tell me that a new model is being launched later this month, which will be a similar match for the old one. All good fun.

We joined in with the 'lights out' last night...as did many of our neighbours.

Friends coming for dinner...duty calls

Have a great day all

Dave     

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The doofer still works, though, and as I approach the barrier, there's a beep and it lifts. It doesn't save money, but I will be billed directly for the same fee

The Dartford Crossing is going cashless soon (allegedly October). Number plate recognition and you can either prepay (or same day) online, have an account or get fined a bit like London's congestion charge. I think I'll set up an account for each car .

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

. They now have a big fleet of Chieftains over there .. one wonders why?

Baz

I think it may be the ultimate in "Open Carry" if you sit inside your weapon when shopping.

The Dartford Crossing is going cashless soon (allegedly October). Number plate recognition and you can either prepay (or same day) online, have an account or get fined a bit like London's congestion charge. I think I'll set up an account for each car .

We have EZPass over here for toll roads/bridges. Interesting it also pays the bill at all the local airports like, JFK NWK etc., for parking.

I think you can use at the drive through Dunkin’ Donuts too.

Little gizmo you stick to the inside of the windscreen. They send bill direct to AMEX who pay it. EZPass members get a discount on tolls.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Jamie

with my past history getting it to work is no problem AND you don't need a shotgun/firearm licence for a 120mm rifled gun....

The ones in the USA are being "re-militarised by welding breech blocks together etc. They now have a big fleet of Chieftains over there .. one wonders why?

Baz

Baz, Do you mean “De” not “Re”?  Target practice, probably.

The bottom has dropped out of the Vintage Tank market...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

We have EZPass over here for toll roads/bridges. Interesting it also pays the bill at all the local airports like, JFK NWK etc., for parking.

I think you can use at the drive through Dunkin’ Donuts too.

Little gizmo you stick to the inside of the windscreen. They send bill direct to AMEX who pay it.

Best, Pete.

They have had the Dart Tag windscreen thingy for sometime but the number plate recognition should enable them to chase up all the non UK cars too!

• Like 3

They have had the Dart Tag windscreen thingy for sometime but the number plate recognition should enable them to chase up all the non UK cars too!

They just take a photo of the car including plate - send the bill plus fine to the owner. In fact they were doing that before EZPass too - some people just drove through (barriers take too long).

It gets expensive chasing fines internationally.

The combination of these gizmos and smart phones means they could, if they wanted to, track you down very easily. Doesn’t bother me any being a rather “good guy”......................

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2