The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Baz,

Spot on that man... Just think that next time you visit (hint, hint)... we will be able to enjoy that most Australian of pasttimes... a cold one and a BBQ!!

Don't forget to tell the missus and say hello from the both of us.

Motters

• Like 4

Morning all - managed some modelling yesterday (hoorah!!) and got some more track laid, casual approach so I ran trains somewhat mroe than getting track down, well, that IS the point isn't it?? :) (Pun intended)

Did have some gardening cleanup to do also, ahead of the tree-trimming folks doing some work...so wasn't an ENTIRE DAY for hobbies.

Today started warmer that usual about 20 heading for 28, currently hazy and becoming overcast - supposedly have a rash of rain/thunderstorms heading our way the next several days, but wasn't supposed to be cloudy this soon - we'll see how it progresses I guess.

Starting with new client today, west coast based, so my entire day(s) will likely be shifting by two hours - I never like that <sigh> - at least for the first week or so. After that I'll be mostly self-directed so start time/end time won't be as directly connected to the folks I'm dealing with...

Have a good Monday

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I find it hugely enjoyable when people conflate my nickname with a crude term for a ######...

..... I wish I had a penny for every time someone asks me "What do the call a man with a rabbit up his ar$e?"

Meaning?

We all have our crosses to bear .

My (obviously) feeble attempt to joke about it.

Life's too short...........

Afternoon all. Fast George update. After a lot of effort the vet has managed to finally flush him out. He's home and most happy to be here. A follow up visit in a couple of days is scheduled to see how he is doing. After that is just wait until we can get him in for the full surgery. For some strange reason, when ever he comes back from the vet he smells like a horse barn for the next day or 2.

He says hi and thanks for all the good wishes.

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

It is another nice sunny morning in this part of the world, but I was woken at five by the bl00dy wood pigeons.  Anybody know a way to get rid of them without a 12 bore?!?

Try this:

It just goes click!

Then the pigeon falls out of the tree.

post-6195-0-85825000-1407167242.jpg

• Like 5

I prefer the pigeons to the magpies who have driven them away. We've had a couple of mags raising a chick in our garden, and the noise is horrible. A magpie alarm call is dreadful, and the chick mewling isn't a lot better.

Managed to teach my grand-daughter a bit about 'chick feathers' though.

Strange isn't it.  Since I've kept Koi and gone out every day and fed and looked after them, I gave up fishing.  Since we've had two dogs and really enjoyed the pleasure they bring, I'd find it hard to kill any animal….and before you ask, I'm not a vegetarian and know food has to come from somewhere…..

….but maybe I'd rather not think about it…:-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Gordon,

it's not strange at all!  I am heavily into conservation especially bats/reptiles/raptors

Any Wood Pigeon I shoot either goes straight into pasties or is frozen for processing later on. It was only when we saw our veg plot stripped that I realised what wholesale damage they are capable of.

Fortunately they area lot tastier than rats!

Latest figure show there are probably as many woodies in the UK as there are rats. So they do pose a major threat to crop production.

There are quite strict licences issued by the Govt on what can and cannot be shot.  Certainly you have to be very good on identification, so if in doubt you leave it.

It goes without saying you have to be confident in your ability and only attempt shooting at quarry when you can consistently shoot and hit the target at your preferred range.

• Like 2

I’m at Gordon’s stage (though not with people) yet I still fish. I always remove the “barbs” from all my hooks. Makes a big difference to fish injuries. I “take” the odd trout.

I really don’t like killing “innocent” things just going about their business; now rabid or terribly injured is a different matter.

That’s just me, I would not dream of trying to stop anyone else - I hate that more than anything and one of the reasons that I now live over here.

Too many Pigeons is usually a result of too few raptors, though. A balance is required.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Try this:

It just goes click!

Then the pigeon falls out of the tree.

attachicon.gifIMAG0114.jpg

If I had made the gun go click I think the only way the pigeon would fall out of the tree would be surprise as the pellet hit a not so nearby branch. Dad did try to teach me how to hit targets but it wasn't a skill I seemed to have. 

• RMweb Gold

Not quite, but you`re on the right track, Pete. :good:

At the secondary school I attended part of the school ethos was that instead of the sign of an educated person being able to speak Latin and Greek we should all be able to operate lathes, milling machines and have some skills in forge techniques. I'm not sure if this was to provide a technically able work force or to disseminate knowledge if we got nuked back to the pre-industrial age. This was the era of 4 minute warnings and strontium 90 in the milk!

Tony

• Like 4

Now be afraid folks  (Inc Trisonic Pete)  Big Berthas on her way ( and I dont mean the latest "new build"  is going to be  a Midland 0-10-0!)   According to the Daiylwail news site (so it must be true)  there is a tropical  storm of that name of that name heading your way next week! 

On that thought try and have  nice evening...............

Trev 

• RMweb Premium

Evening Riser....

First day back at work, knackered!  Enjoyable though, but it feels odd after working in an office environment for 25 years to be sitting at a workbench in a T shirt!  John's looing after me though, he's a decent sort.  I forsee me being very busy soon, which is a good thing.  It's hard working in a place FULL of trains in many scales though, and not being able to get them out and play, boohoo.  Temptation is an issue, I buy enough off him as it is!

Andrew, hope the PC pulls through OK.

Debs, CNC?

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Went to make an appointment with my GP about my waterworks problem. Whilst I was there my GP came out into the reception area and he gave me a prescription for antibiotics on the spot. Still drinking plenty of water and still a bit sore down below but things are getting better.

Posted Today, 21:08

Shedman5, on 04 Aug 2014 - 07:42, said:snapback.png

The joys of being blond and slim..........

:drag: Well, I`m halfway there! :mosking:

I'd clicked "Friendly/Supportive" in response to Debs' post, then thought that it made me sound like a Cross Your Heart bra.

Still, there are worse ambitions ...

• RMweb Gold

Evening Riser....

First day back at work, knackered!  Enjoyable though, but it feels odd after working in an office environment for 25 years to be sitting at a workbench in a T shirt!  John's looing after me though, he's a decent sort.  I forsee me being very busy soon, which is a good thing.  It's hard working in a place FULL of trains in many scales though, and not being able to get them out and play, boohoo.  Temptation is an issue, I buy enough off him as it is!

Andrew, hope the PC pulls through OK.

Debs, CNC?

Staff discount now?

• Like 1