The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Oh CB, each to their own.   :O

One of the highlights of our year was Mildenhall Air Show on May Bank Holiday.  Just a few miles down the road from Newmarket, thundering jet noise and the smell of burgers and beer in the sun.  A great weekend….but not to everyone's taste.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So that's about £150 in Swedish currency then Tony?

I suggested about £200 to Aditi who assumed I was joking. You now have to guess whether I was being "silly" for too little or too much!

Chilling outside?

I should talk - my Mother-in - Law is coming over....

I was reading the thread about the position being advertised by MR magazine on here. OK lots of jokey answers as per usual, but even  most of the serious ones I read are unlikely to get anywhere without some kind of attitude adjustment. May just be me but I was taught that the world was harsh and no one owed me anything.

Ian, That woman should try the path down the side of the Grand Canyon - it only starts a sheer mile up!

Enough for now, the drugs are beginning to wear off, - “Nurse!"

Best, Pete.

Maybe not as high, but this one's a bit scary.  Eat your heart out H & S…:-)

• Like 1

I suggested about £200 to Aditi who assumed I was joking. You now have to guess whether I was being "silly" for too little or too much!

Well, with a cheap meal in a burger bar with the house wine coming out at £60 for two of us seven years ago, £200 may not go far.  You can always use cards of course...

I never take foreign currency unless I’m going somewhere totally obscure - too much hassle and you always end with chump change.

Did I tell you that my cousin Stewart (former er, British Army) won a running race across the Gobi Desert? Now, there I’d take pieces of gold hidden about my person.

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Chilling outside?

I should talk - my Mother-in - Law is coming over....

I was reading the thread about the position being advertised by MR magazine on here. OK lots of jokey answers as per usual, but even  most of the serious ones I read are unlikely to get anywhere without some kind of attitude adjustment. May just be me but I was taught that the world was harsh and no one owed me anything.

Ian, That woman should try the path down the side of the Grand Canyon - it only starts a sheer mile up!

Pete - Sherry's house-guests are pretty nice. The ex-colleague is good fun, while her pretty daughter, 25, has legs to die for....

I honestly think those of us who never had to worry about employment do not understand the mind-set that being unemployed for years must give you. There, but for the grace of God, go many of us, I suspect.

Nearly 50 years ago, I spent a few months in the Information Office at Victoria, where even then, American tourists were quite numerous. One rather engaging colleague complained to his brother, who lived in the US, about the quality of tourists he was sending over. Back came a reply along the lines of "It's the bright ones that find their way to Europe - what do you think I'm left with?"!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An experience from 2011.Fancied a meal in Den Gyldene Freden...owned by the committee that awards the Nobel Prize for literature..smart cellar restaurant in Gamla Stan in Stockholm.

Great meal. .great atmosphere,full of smart people.Three courses ,plus a pint of Swedish steam beer (lovely...even to a guy from Burton on Trent) and a bottle of Cotes du.Rhone. And the bill......equivalent of (then) £220. Highly enjoyable...would not have missed it...but not inexpensive.

I’ve been on this path (I think, they all look alike frankly, freaking scary). I remember looking down one terrifying drop and asking what “those little rectangles are?” - It was a Hopi village that was still a couple of hundred feet up from the river.

Ian, Can I just add that I go a long way to appreciate a beautiful pair of legs - it’s what I do (“sneak” photos please, Sherry - tell her it’s for a thoroughly perverted rock guitarist - usually does the trick, or possibly not)....... and even further for a job (though I understand that not everyone is as resourceful). 

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Oops.

Had a mega day at Groudle, it was a special day for the enthusiasts week, everything capable of running was out, double heading, top and tailing, mixed traction - and NHN is one tired Guard!

It rained last thing which was a shame, but the passengers were treated to a lot of slipping, hand sanding and fireworks on the 1 in 33! Super day, a lot of very happy gricer types photographing, and quite a few rather impressed folk looking at John's Steamplex with quizzical expressions.  The fact it sounds like a much bigger loco in full cry helps!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Ian (Dudders),

I do have been known to dabble in P4 and EM gauges as a break from the great outdoors, although my Merryn predated the sainted SLAG version by a few years.

Pete,

Never been a member of the club but have been to Bisley a number of times but the last time it was back in the early 80's.

Funnily enough it wasn't a shooting event, but a recce of the various military railways in the area with John Poyntz who went on to work for the Railway Inspectorate.

Ian (Abel)

I only allowed Merryn to marry Sam as he is a doctor (medicine) so he is now on permanent call to treat my hippocondria! 

I am now looking to marry my son off to a lawyer or an accountant (preferably female in both cases)

Personally I thought I looked really happy...............you should see me when I'm in a bad mood. (For fans of 'Father Ted', that photo reminds me of the time he was accused of insulting the Chinese community).

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Ian, Can I just add that I go a long way to appreciate a beautiful pair of legs - it’s what I do (“sneak” photos please, Sherry - tell her it’s for a thoroughly perverted rock guitarist - usually does the trick, or possibly not)....... and even further for a job (though I understand that not everyone is as resourceful). 

A handy hint, Pete. When, in 2011, on the basis of visual evidence in Bagnoles de l'Orne, I suggested to Ann by text that her daughter has gorgeous legs, I was told I am a Dirty Old Man. We need to reduce our profile here, perhaps.....

• RMweb Gold

Dear dirty old man,

On Friday evening a very pretty blonde with legs all the way up to her armpits, rushed over to me and gave me a big hug and a kiss.

'Hi, Richard how lovely to see you again'.

One of my daughter's friends from when she was at school...............

But she had an ulterior motive:

She wanted a pointer in the right direction for a decent clay pigeon shooting coach.

Since she lives in London, i will have to pass the opportunity to do some basic instruction with her prior to the course.

Which is a pity as I'm sure she would have enjoyed, especially learning how to clean my 12 bore properly. (Ohh Matron!)

• Like 3

Installed up here in Salopshire. For some reason my laptop won't connect to the MiL's wifi, so having to use a cable. Weird since everyone else's kindles, laptops seem to have no such problem! Grrr. 

Trying to fix the children's dvd player that will keep them amused on the way to Scotland. One unit works the other seems to be dead. Could be the cable? Dead battery, don't even know if there is one inside it!

I've now got a list of things to collect when I nip back down to Hampshire tomorrow; a multi-meter is the weirdest thing I've ever had to take on holiday, methinks! 

Basildon: I played my first ever game of golf there behind the tractor factory. I was useless but stuck at it until my stag do 20 years later, achieving the level of "nearly useless, but enjoying it". Then for some reason never had time to play again! Perhaps I missed that part of the wedding ceremony where "no golf again" was explained. LOL.   

My clubs are somewhere in the loft and have been for nearly ten years now. 

Dear dirty old man,

On Friday evening a very pretty blonde with legs all the way up to her armpits, rushed over to me and gave me a big hug and a kiss.

'Hi, Richard how lovely to see you again'.

One of my daughter's friends from when she was at school...............

But she had an ulterior motive:

She wanted a pointer in the right direction for a decent clay pigeon shooting coach.

Since she lives in London, i will have to pass the opportunity to do some basic instruction with her prior to the course.

Which is a pity as I'm sure she would have enjoyed, especially learning how to clean my 12 bore properly. (Ohh Matron!)

Hmmm. Howzabout a 9” S&W Model 29?

My daughter’s friends can be similarly disconcerting, I agree. Definitely a “No-Go” area.

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

A handy hint, Pete. When, in 2011, on the basis of visual evidence in Bagnoles de l'Orne, I suggested to Ann by text that her daughter has gorgeous legs, I was told I am a Dirty Old Man. We need to reduce our profile here, perhaps.....

Oh, “a daughter”........ See my reply to Hippo above.

Just as well I prefer older Women. I like them to know what they are doing.

Best, Pete.

Hi guys, still in bl&&dy hspital. Number one son (the paramedic in Cornwall) phoned in a state of excitement. He had been called to a guy who had fallen part way down a cliff and had to do a "bit of mountaineering" to get to him. He had broken both ankles so Ken gave him Morphine.

So, there were an ambulance and Coastguard at the top of the cliff, the Beach patrol people at the bottom and the Lifeboat in the water. The Air/Sea rescue helicopter was called from Culdrose, but they carry Technicians, not Paramedics. As Ken had given the Morphine he had to go in the helo, which involved being winched up into it. Scary stuff, but he loved it!

There is a piece about it on the Cornish Guardian web site with a picture of the helo leaving the scene. I had to tell someone, and it's gone some way to relieving the boredom of being in here.

Ed

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

How do I become a dirty old man when I act like a twelve year old?

Sounds like a question for the Grauniad's "Notes & Queries" section - does that still appear?

My favourite was "How do I get a life?" and the wonderful reply "Stop writing to national newspapers!"

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a question for the Grauniad's "Notes & Queries" section - does that still appear?

My favourite was "How do I get a life?" and the wonderful reply "Stop writing to national newspapers!"

The answer is feminine intuition I think. I would ask again but I would like to live long enough to retire.

• Like 1

Evenin all,  

still  trying to get to grips with this new lap top & Windows  eight!  . Well I've found out were the "off"  button is hiding... managed to get the desktop page in some sense of order  got my screen saver & desk top pictures  were they should be. Now to get the IT guy in the morning to install Office 2010  instead of 2007! and get the WiFi to work.....

Just spoke to my Mum whos had her second  crop of strawberries this year off the same plants, which seems quite amazing. Also had GF complaining that parts of British Columbia are  hotter than here! (28c against 27c  - but the real-feel here is 38c) . 

No modelling done this week end - but never mind, bed time, 

Trev.

Andy,

Which part of Slopshire are you presently domiciled?

It's a large county and I am merely being very nosey

In your shed. Catering is lousy! Not a sign of a bit of wedding cake!! ;) :jester:  

Well, that's what I'm putting on Tripadvisor, anyway!

Andy.

Shrewsbury.