The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

We seem to be shopping in Basildon.

I used to like Basildon. Popular opinion would say I'm deranged. A concrete post-war new town but I always thought it was well laid out. Wilkinson was always handy for stuff you didn't know you needed and then I'd sit on the edge of the pond thing outside Smiths for a quick smoke waiting for shoe-shopping to be over. Quite often a long wait. Youngest is still using an ancient (in PC years) laptop bought from Currys (or was it Dixons?) in Basildon. Happy days.

• Like 5

I've relegated myself to the man-cave today, people have put me in a foul mood and my mental state has been bouncing a bit lately so probably safer for everyone if I'm locked away for a few hours!

First there was the old guy who parks his pickup truck outside the shop just in front of me. He totally ignored the white lines and instead parked across 3 spaces, meaning I couldn't park. I shouted out of my window asking if he could park properly so other people could also park, and was greeted with a tirade of foul-mouthed abuse about him being disabled and needing space to get his crutches out, and that I should mind my own business and be thankfull I can still walk. Keeping calm I pointed out the empty disabled spaces less than 10ft away from where he parked, and again received a load of abuse. All this from a 'man' in his 70s!! I dumped the car and did my 5 minutes worth of shopping, and came out to more abuse from him. Some human beings just disgust me.

Now there is kick-offs about our wedding, nothing to do with me but it's still aggravating me.

So the man-cave it is, the joys of PTSD and mental problems and horrible people mean I have to miss such a beautiful day so I don't cause anyone harm for upsetting me further. The modern world is a great place!

Mark

Take comfort from the fact that he makes you, by FAR, the better human being. The number of times over the years I've told myself that as I've walked away seething about something or other...

• RMweb Gold

I used to like Basildon. Popular opinion would say I'm deranged. A concrete post-war new town but I always thought it was well laid out. Wilkinson was always handy for stuff you didn't know you needed and then I'd sit on the edge of the pond thing outside Smiths for a quick smoke waiting for shoe-shopping to be over. Quite often a long wait. Youngest is still using an ancient (in PC years) laptop bought from Currys (or was it Dixons?) in Basildon. Happy days.

Basildon on a Sunday is quite a good place to shop as everything seems to be open but without crowds and free parking! We both thought a few extra items of clothing would reduce the necessity for frequent visits to the laundrette while we are away on our holiday. I think we have got everything ready really early this time though I suppose sorting out all the travel stuff to go to Belgium last week helped, no frantic searching for EHIC cards or insurance policy documents this time. The ship we are going on stops 3 times in Sweden so I suppose it would be sensible to have some Swedish money, at least enough for a couple of coffees and some cake while we are on unsupervised wanderings ashore. I believe we get fed on the two days ashore in St Petersburg so I won't bother with roubles. 

Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Basildon on a Sunday is quite a good place to shop as everything seems to be open but without crowds and free parking! We both thought a few extra items of clothing would reduce the necessity for frequent visits to the laundrette while we are away on our holiday. I think we have got everything ready really early this time though I suppose sorting out all the travel stuff to go to Belgium last week helped, no frantic searching for EHIC cards or insurance policy documents this time. The ship we are going on stops 3 times in Sweden so I suppose it would be sensible to have some Swedish money, at least enough for a couple of coffees and some cake while we are on unsupervised wanderings ashore. I believe we get fed on the two days ashore in St Petersburg so I won't bother with roubles. 

Tony

So that's about £150 in Swedish currency then Tony?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We, that is to say I, have gardened & weeded & mowed (& weeded) & strimmed (&weeded) & pruned (&weeded). I have tidied ( & weeded) and also cleaned out the drains, the manhole and two wheelie bins. I am completely knackered and even after a long hot shower am still carrying the aroma of Eau de Jeyes. Day of rest? Pah!

I am now going to open a bottle (or several) of Pride.

Cheers :drinks: 

• Like 3

Not even close, Pete. As GordonS has said, Hampden had official crowds of between 147,000 and 150,000 twice in the 1930s. Personally, I've been in Hampden in official attendances of 132,000 and 134,000. I've also been there in an official crowd of 120,000, but with forged tickets, 'liftovers' and a couple of gates broken, the actual number of people inside was reckoned to be about 145,000 - an absolute stunning experience! (I do note your later point about the ManU-Real crowd being all seated.)

Maybe but consider that the USA is purported to dislike soccer; 109K bums on seats is pretty good.

Let me know the when that figure is reached anywhere in Europe, this forthcoming season, will ya?

And Mark, as you’ll probably end up being portrayed as a w@nker in tomorrow’s Daily Mail anyway you may as well have kicked away the bloke's “crutches” whilst yelling "Bah, Humbug!” - in for a penny....

The only reason I wouldn’t have done the same was the thought that he may have been a contributor to Early Risers........ :smoke:

Handsome Dude Hippo! Wife and Daughter not bad, either... I think we have met somewhere. Were you a member of the London & Middlesex Club at Bisley?

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Tony

A coffee and cake in Sweden.....shed loads .......Sweden is lovely but expensive.In Stockholm,Gamla Stan...the old town is unmissable,as is a trip to the Wasa ..the retrieved royal galleon....get there early to avoid queues.

Cash machines are ok in Petersburg..A tip for a slice of the real Russia....visit the bookshop at the top end of the Nevsky Prospekt.Petersburg is gorgeous.

Dang it - missed yesterday for posting. Manage to wake and on making breakfast discovered the kitchen sink waste pipe had elected to stop working! This resulted in abandonment of all plans for Saturday :(

Dismantling the mess I determind to simply replace the lot, sink strainer and all, so off to the hardware store - no WAIT - since we're "going out anyway", we managed to also stop at about three other places including IKEA (how to use up INCREDIBLE amounts of time), and a woodworking store as well as the hardware store and supermarket whilst we were about it <sigh>.

Mid-afternoon before I tackled the sink, but it appears to be fixed now - it HAS been threatened with complete demolition if it doesn't behave!!! :butcher:  

We did manage to have dinner with Jemma and her two Air China students when they flew in Friday night, discovering (well being introduced to) what is apparently the most authentic Chinese restaurant in the Twin Cities - all the students have to fly down here on cross-countries and given Grand Forks has at best ONE "poor American/Chinese" pseudo-restaurant, all these Air China students come to this restaurant almost as a pilgrimage - we can now add it to our list of places to go...

Alex(student observer), Jemma (Instructor) and Abernathy (student pilot) at Flying Cloud airport

post-20244-0-21155400-1407083594_thumb.jpg

All that being said, catch-up is a challenge, here goes - and apologies for anything I miss;

Pete - Happy belated birthday

Phil - be sure and see the doc even if things seem better - be safe out there man

Andrew - heart goes out to you and hope to hear good news of George, all our pets are family too :heart_mini:

Hippo - lovely looking wedding, except I'm not sure about the "speech" photo, were you threatening the SiL to be good to daughter "or else" :)

Weather here was (yesterday) and is today pretty good, starting at 17 and going to 30 expected today, sunny and a little humid.

Jock/Ian et al, on the Port Wenn/Isaac front, we are figuring/expecting silly crowds, but I'm sure will still visit anyway :jester: . We have spotted a National Trust cottage (one of many on our short list) that is actually only about 3/4 mile walk along the public path to Port Isaac, so quite likely will rent that and just walk there. Additionally, much of the "requirement" is simply to see the west of England and Cornish coast and villages in general, so there's plenty to see that won't be the pandemonium that I'm sure accompanies Port Isaac. Boscastle, etc., come to mind.

So, for today, BLOODY MODELLING (at least so long as something else doesn't break around the house :O )

I know the weekend is mostly done for everyone already, but enjoy what's left everyone

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 12

Tony

If you go to Stockholm, give a wave to our offices on the left as you enter the harbour. Thomas International or SLG…:-)

Many a time I've sat there sipping a beer and watching the boats go by.

post-6950-0-39545600-1407084328_thumb.png

• Like 5

Maybe but consider that the USA is purported to dislike soccer; 109K bums on seats is pretty good.

Let me know the when that figure is reached anywhere in Europe, this forthcoming season, will ya?

And Mark, as you’ll probably end up being portrayed as a w@nker in tomorrow’s Daily Mail anyway you may as well have kicked away the bloke's “crutches” whilst yelling "Bah, Humbug!” - in for a penny....

The only reason I wouldn’t have done the same was the thought that he may have been a contributor to Early Risers........ :smoke:

Handsome Dude Hippo! Wife and Daughter not bad, either... I think we have met somewhere. Were you a member of the London & Middlesex Club at Bisley?

Best, Pete.

Pete - that's a lot of bums!! :)

We had Man City vs. Olympiacos here yesterday and managed 34,000 and change bums - not many compared to your count but a hell of a lot here for football (soccer).

Of course, it still only rated page three in the local paper sports section today as the Gophers (Univ. of MN) football team and Vikings were on the front, even THOUGH there's nothing important happening in either camp right now, just pre-season babbling, but that gets more attention here than anything else - if someone associated with Gopher or Vikings football farts here it's front page news :butcher:  :butcher: pisses me off...

Paul McCartney was here last night too - didn't manage to get tickets but wished we did <sigh> he drew more than the football, not sure whether that's good or bad! :O

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 5

Yes, Debs is in a select minority of four - the ER Female Quartet!

I was going to say that but you beat me to it - "females is minorities ain't they?? Well, second class citizens anyways..." scenes from various inapporpriate 60s-70s TV shows...

<--- quickly grabs coat and hat and crawls back in his hole :jester:

EDIT: Oh and don't ANYONE tell the Mrs I said that even in jest, I'll be looking for some replacement danglies otherwise :O

• RMweb Gold

Paul McCartney was here last night too - didn't manage to get tickets but wished we did <sigh> he drew more than the football, not sure whether that's good or bad! :O

Depends on whether or not he sang...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

short game today  Yorks Academy knocking off 107 runs in 22.4 overs..

Got home and her indoors plus eldest Herbert had cut the front (Hawthorn) hedge.. Great!!

It might be me but I wish the British public would give up on soccer as its very over priced here and full of prima donnas who seem to hit the floor when approached by a potential tackler! Never mind  and rant off...

A lady at the game had an 11 week old spaniel with her - he was brilliant but was worn out from a 20 yard walk.... 

Ian A... careful - she may find out!!

Baz

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Jock/Ian et al, on the Port Wenn/Isaac front, we are figuring/expecting silly crowds, but I'm sure will still visit anyway :jester: . We have spotted a National Trust cottage (one of many on our short list) that is actually only about 3/4 mile walk along the public path to Port Isaac, so quite likely will rent that and just walk there. Additionally, much of the "requirement" is simply to see the west of England and Cornish coast and villages in general, so there's plenty to see that won't be the pandemonium that I'm sure accompanies Port Isaac. Boscastle, etc., come to mind.

Cue an American lady, admittedly not that young, entering the bar at the Port Gaverne Hotel, which is just up and down the road from Port Isaac : "The Coast Path is not for the faint-hearted!" You have been warned.

As well as Doc Martin, older UK viewers may recall "Poldark", some of which I think was filmed at Roscarrock Farm, just up the hill the other side of Port Isaac.

Echo appreciation of a pretty bride and well-presented mum and dad. You scrub up well, Richard! But you do need to relax more when doing the karaoke bit, perhaps.

Tried out the new hedge-trimmer, and it really does what I need. But I'm glad I got the longer version, as there will still need to be use of steps etc at times when the great trim starts. No rain since mid-morning, but some rumbles of thunder in the last couple of hours. I've also put a first coat of protective stain on the garden/barbecue table, which is looking very undernourished.

• Like 6

Morning all

........Mike Smith? I am a bit out of touch with his recent career, but it was he who rang my friend/colleague re the regularly-cancelled 08.14 Barnehurst to Blackfriars, circa 1980. Colleague told him - and the listening Capital Radio audience - something along the lines (sorry) of "I've not had no advice that it's cancelled this morning." Undoubtedly it was Mike Smith's fascination with this ill-starred train that led to Jackie Challoner making the record. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBPahAoVUyQ

My two visitors (mum and daughter) and I have just enjoyed hearing this and the verdict? Very clever!

Chilling at home before venturing out to see what delights Teignmouth can offer on a Sunday evening.

Hope you have equally exciting Sunday evenings!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

and even after a long hot shower am still carrying the aroma of Eau de Jeyes. Day of rest? Pah!

Probably stick for a while - it did with me, and my bins are still smelling of it two weeks on - much advice has been given, none has really helped, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Back to music..

Jack caught this on an ITV ad re the Great War.  Memories came flooding back for both of us, but in parallel lives 40 years ago, long before we met.  A few minutes later and the Greatest Hits album was downloaded and hasn't been off for the iPad for the last hour.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 4

Culdrose: don't go. We've experienced the traffic jams many a time, and can't quite honestly see the attraction of a day watching planes.

Having said that watching trains is also unattractive. I'd rather be doing something.

Dog appears to be getting better. Back to the vets in the morning for sign-off, we hope. She's now back eating.

Wall to wall sun, almost, here today. And chapel hunting - found three that we hadn't known about before.

And Sunday evening - curry from the Taj Mahal in Penzance.

Edited by Coombe Barton

Chilling at home before venturing out to see what delights Teignmouth can offer on a Sunday evening.

Chilling outside?

I should talk - my Mother-in - Law is coming over....

I was reading the thread about the position being advertised by MR magazine on here. OK lots of jokey answers as per usual, but even  most of the serious ones I read are unlikely to get anywhere without some kind of attitude adjustment. May just be me but I was taught that the world was harsh and no one owed me anything.

Ian, That woman should try the path down the side of the Grand Canyon - it only starts a sheer mile up!

Enough for now, the drugs are beginning to wear off, - “Nurse!"

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The sea wall offers some good views of the West Country main line - is that any good to you?

Last time I went to Teignmouth, I couldn't find a decent pub, but crossed the bridge to Shaldon where they were better.