The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all - "pinch punch..." never in time am I <sigh> One day I may stay up REALLY LATE so I can be the first to post, before I collapse into bed ;)

Anniversary proceedings, here we are at an excellent restaurant in Minneapolis, "Spoon River", delicious cocktails and dinner with a lovely lady who insists on staying with me even though I "play with trains" :senile:

post-20244-0-79838000-1406903634_thumb.jpg

Followed by a stroll along the river at sunset...

post-20244-0-14325900-1406903636_thumb.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

Ian - how do you get to be so lucky, pretty much everyone who delivers here appears to be old farts like me <sigh> :jester:

Hippo - enjoy the day and cheers to all, father-of-the-bride should be proud :drink_mini: not loosing a daughter, but gaining a ... ... ...well, good luck!

Today started at 17 and heading for 28.

Excitement for the day;

i) work - yawn, still waiting for a client to get all their paperwork "in order" so I can connect to their systems and actually START working on their projects...

ii) followed by a replay of what was suppsoed to happen last week - daughter will be flying in for dinner, after the mechanical issues last week, the Air China student re-schedueld cross-country flight will be this evening, so we're meeting them for dinner.

Happy POETS day all, here's to a weekend of modelling :declare: (we live in hope!!)

• Like 12

Steady on!  !  we might all be old farts but . . . . . .Fartoo old to grow up now!!!!!!!!

:) As I told my wife when we first met "...I'm never growing up..." and so far has stuck to my promise! :senile:  :jester:

The former Mill Green crossing keepers cabin at Woolram Wygate.  Sadly now gone forever it appears.

attachicon.gifmill green crossing 2.jpgattachicon.gifmill green from gowt crossing.jpg

Damn, that's too bad, that's a delightful structure, what a pity it's gone <sigh>

• Like 2

Steady on!  !  we might all be old farts but . . . . . .Fartoo old to grow up now!!!!!!!!

Miss bb worries more about her advancing years than I do mine. One morning, I found her sitting up in bed with a deep frown on her face. I asked what was troubling her, and she replied: "I'm worried about dying." She was about six at the time, and in the rudest of health.

About the same time, she told me not to introduce her to people as "My little girl": "I'm not a little girl any more, Dad." This year (twenty years on) I reminded her of this, and said that it saddened me a little at the time, so when my Father's Day card was "From your little girl", I thought that this was because of what I'd said. "Partly, but I'm also trying not to feel old..."

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Caught up - seems to be taking longer and longer to do so, though, and too much water passing under this particular bridge for me to offer individual comments.

About the ladies only compartments, I was thinking of the short lived 4-COM units which were formed on the Southern (SED, I think) which were made up of two open MBSOs and two TSKs and which were not allowed out after 20.00 due to passenger safety.  I'm not sure that they were amoung those with ladies only, but they may well have been.  They didn't ;ast very long.

Morrison's today, and now that I'm a pensioner, I need to keep the shopping down to a more manageable level.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Morrison's today, and now that I'm a pensioner, I need to keep the shopping down to a more manageable level.

Regards to All

Stewart

Switch to the smaller size trolley Stewart - much easier to manoeuvre as one gets older (we add a second one when restocking the 'cellar' - still easier than using the big ones).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Has it taken you that long to recover so that you can post on here? :jester:

No - although the silly grin lasted nearly that long! Actually I was "unboxing" (cool technical term these days, don't ya know) the shredder and assembling it. Bit of WD40 on the axles, that sort of thing. Have now tried it out and it has a good deal of grunt, so promises to work well. Captive box underneath is a godsend, too. The other one has an output nozzle that is not all that far off the ground and so you have to hang a sack over it and hope it will catch the mulch.

I had ordered something on ebay. There were two delivery options - 8 euros by post, or free and collect it from a newsagent's shop in Bonnetable. I'm not mad about those deals, so paid the 8 euros. Blow me - guess where it ended up? So I've sent the seller a "Please explain". I'd never come across this before - does it happen in Blighty now, or is it French tight-ar*edness again? I suppose the shop pick-up avoids me having to hang about for the postman - or maybe white-van lady. Tough call, huh?

• RMweb Premium

So having packed up numerous parcels I walked to the Post Office .. fine!

On the way back I needed an Ark.. but failed to find one!  Her indoors came looking for me in the car - I was 1 minute from home so just kept walking... to say I was soaked to the skin is an understatement!

Quick shower then.. BTInternet not working ... pah ... humbug....  

Hope everything is going better for everyone else today!

Damp Baz...

• RMweb Gold

Been watching Commonwealth gymnastics again all afternoon.

Fanbl##dytastic effort from all concerned and big respect to those who had bad falls and just got up and had another go. This is what sport should be about!

• RMweb Gold

Oh and HELP - can anybody suggest a way of getting rid of the smell of Jeyes fluid from the two bins that I've treated - I've flushed and flushes with the hosepipe and the Karcher to no avail.

Try Gunk:

41fnsFMTPhL.jpg

Brush on, hose off.

• Like 1

Interesting day out to Hillier's garden centre for Julie's craft sales.

She then requested a trip into Horsham, which led us into the smallest, most inconvenient multi-story car park I've ever been in. I'm not driving a particularly large car by modern standards - Volvo estate - but I had to do 3-point turns to get up (and down) the ramps!

Then home - no pub lunch - but got fish & chips from the local chippie.

I had a bit of a nap and what I had thought might be the onset of gout earlier on definitely is on waking! So a quiet evening.

• RMweb Gold

On the way back I needed an Ark.. but failed to find one!  Her indoors came looking for me in the car - I was 1 minute from home so just kept walking... to say I was soaked to the skin is an understatement!

Watch it coming here: http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Two hours of 15-minute rain radar free. Pay if you want 5-minute intervals or closer zooming:

post-1103-0-79993700-1406916499_thumb.png

Evenin all,    

Got my new laptop today -- (Dell Inspiron) with Windows 8 ..right pain in the derriere !  But I guess in the end I'l l get the hang of it? Now to see if I can get on with work.....

Try and enjoy your evening , 

Trev

• RMweb Premium

I went out and purchased the 'Air Fryer' today. £134.25  :O .Taking it out of the box it seems quite simple to use so I'm cooking tomorrows dinner with it. The snail appears to have moved slightly so it must be OK, perhaps its shy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Family lunch today so missed the Regatta races.  It was chucking it down, anyway.

We did get down there later when the sun came out and while we chatted with friends I kept getting distracted by the reflections in the water. Before we left, I couldn't resist trying out some photos to capture the essence of some of these classic boats.  Hope you like them.

post-14049-0-66236500-1406930603.jpg

post-14049-0-57448500-1406930507.jpg

post-14049-0-13578900-1406930647.jpg

Polly

• Like 15

Evening all,

Trev, if you google it, I believe there's a fairly simple way to switch '8' back to '7' which I found easier to use and more familiar. Hope you're still avoiding exchanges of bodily fluids!

Martin, that Gunk tin takes me back - we used it in the racing shop in dad's motorcycle shop. It was the only stuff that would help to remove the staining characteristic of Castrol 'R' oil on the racing engines! Might work on the Jeyes but I think it might be easier to just replace the bins!

Glad the shredder has lived up to its billing Ian, by the size of that tree before it came down, it will soon pay its way. You haven't mentioned the horses for some time - are they still part of your daily routine? I'm afraid that I've been a 'Private Eye' fan for many years and thus find it extremely difficult to take any mention of 'Neasden' seriously - remember Ron Noades?

Ian (Abel), great shot of you and the boss - you certainly seem to be enjoying yourself. My fuddled brain seems to re-call mention of a visit to Port Isaac (Wenn) as part of your friends wish list on your grand tour? I have the misfortune to be married to a 'Doc Martin' fan and so had to detour on one of our Cornish trips a couple of years back! I have to warn you that parking in summer is almost impossible and the overflow parks are well out of town. The hills are very steep and so make sure all of your party are in a reasonable state of fitness! Unfortunately, I have to say that the fame has in a way spoiled what was a typical Cornish fishing village when I lived down there in the 70s, with every business now geared to parting money from visitors. It is still very picturesque and so in balance, probably worth the effort!

Dick, years ago, my doctor who was also a member of our wine club, suffered with gout. When I got it he prescribed 'Allopurinol', the same drug he used! I take one each morning with my blood pressure pills and have not had an attack for over 20 years. Well worth speaking to your GP about having this to use as a prophylactic. Said GP actually used to take 2 daily but he could always afford more wine than me!! Hope this helps.

Hope all the aches and pains ease as the weekend - I'm about to take some of my favourite anaesthetic (single malt variety) as a nightcap.

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Polly, beautiful images, make you want to break out the water colours!, thanks, Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Trev.

My recommendation would be to upgrade (possibly free, mine was) from Win 8 to 8.1

Windows 8 doesn't take long to get used to and if you don't have a touchscreen putting the mouse pointer in screen corners reveals useful things. The irritating thing about 8 was the non obvious way of turning the pc off. The email program is not very good (in my opinion) but it does work. 

Tony