The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning, damp on the rock.

This synesthesia talk is very interesting.  It would have produce an hours discussion in my old job with the psychiatric nurse in the team!  I'm visiting them today to do some guidance for stats, seems they can't do without me after all.

Better get on with the work list.  Retirement???????????????Pah.

• Like 3

Morning all, beautiful blue skies over Borough Market junction today. last working day of the week for me, as I am taking off days through the school hols. This weekend we have a family party in honour of the eldest junior Lurker's birthday. We have one every year. It means the in laws come and stay (300 miles each way is apparently too far for a day trip!) and it means I have to buy bucket loads of red wine as FiL drinks it by the bucket. I'm not averse to red wine, believe me, but he can put it away. he's also a very fussy eater (plain as anyhting) which means the food will be rather dull this weekend. If the weather is good on Sunday, the party will be fun as we can spend most of teh time in the garden. If it's not there will be 4 children of 7 and under (including one  of my own) at least 2 of whom seem to have no regard for the fact that it is unaccetpable to tip everything out and throw around .....

I can't really claim any synaesthesia although I do sometimes associate colours with smells - that's probably a lack of articulacy. When I play certain music, I often recall a book I was reading at the same time. The Sisters of Mercy "Vision Thing" album forever brings up Steerpike's climb through the castle of Gormenghast.

I wonder how synaesthesia affects learning styles - we all use various different learning styles all the time (assuming we all continue to learn - sometimes I wonder). One of the styles is, for example, visual learning - I tend to be very good at spelling because once I see a word I tend to remember how to spell it; my style of learning for that os visual. (One the other hand my typing skills leave a lot to be desired, any spelling mistakes are down to my fat fingers!). Other things are leanred by repetiton - for me mathematics comes through repetition (and rarely intuition). I would have thought synaesthesia might have interesting effectson how some people learn certain things

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Pete, it would appear that the Monument is still open to the public.

It was on the agenda of a school outing but can't remember if we actually went up it or not.

http://www.themonument.info/visitor-information.html

I remember doing Blackpool Tower about 10 years later with a group of holiday friends I met on Lihou, the island off Guernsey.

Lieutenant-Colonel Patrick Wootton bought the island in 1961 (now in the hands of the State of Guernsey).  I consider myself fortunate in stumbling over a very small ad in Dad's newspaper about one of his summer camps for young adults on the island.  I answered it and spent two fantastic weeks there in the early 70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lihou.

Thanks for the song Gordon (Bluebottle).  I don't recollect hearing that before.  Just the ticket.

Ian, Eastbourne has special memories for me so it was devastating news re the fire on the pier, yesterday.  Hope they can rebuild that section of it.  And thanks for the compliment in your earlier post.  We were both honoured to know that people see us that way.

Video and pictures: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-28571431

And lastly (for now, that is)

Morning, damp on the rock.

This synesthesia talk is very interesting.  It would have produce an hours discussion in my old job with the psychiatric nurse in the team!  I'm visiting them today to do some guidance for stats, seems they can't do without me after all.

Better get on with the work list.  Retirement???????????????Pah.

You know you like it really.   :D

Have a good day, all.

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

In Worcestershire. We had a nice meal in a pub last night. Today we are off to see some trains at the Severn Valley Railway. I'll try to press the correct buttons on my camera.

Tony

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, the mountaineering snail is still there this morning having moved about six inches overnight. At the club meeting last night one of the members organised a barbecue, hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken legs + chips. He used a 'hot air fryer' to prepare the chips, basically an enclosed hair dryer that can be used like an oven. I think I might give one a try as using a conventional oven is best avoided in this weather.

Our Indian Summer continues. Only 21C today but under a clear blue sky.

Today is this month's luncheon special - Corned beef, boiled potatoes and cabbage with an onion sauce.

I remember the song as being Boiled Beef and cabbage but looking it up I can only find Boiled Beef and carrots.

Could it have been a ploy on my parents part to get me to eat cabbage?

I am looking forward to it, especially the cabbage! :blum:

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, the mountaineering snail is still there this morning having moved about six inches overnight. At the club meeting last night one of the members organised a barbecue, hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken legs + chips. He used a 'hot air fryer' to prepare the chips, basically an enclosed hair dryer that can be used like an oven. I think I might give one a try as using a conventional oven is best avoided in this weather.

So snails weren't on the menu?

• RMweb Gold

Don Bradley - I thought it was carrots, too. But on the odd occasion that I eat cabbage - I enjoy it.

I had a courgette sitting in the fridge ,and last night sliced it and fried it in duck fat, adding garlic granules and then pouring balsamic vinegar onto it. Made a very tasty veg to go with steak and baked potatoes. But a non-stick pan helps....

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and sunny to start with but may cloud over with some showers later.

Deb, I didn't know you have synesthesia.  I have often wondered if I have a mild form as certain numbers and days of the week, I see as a particular colour. On a completely unrelated tack, I have, since childhood, also been able to say most words backwards, virtually instantaneously.

yllautriv ylsuoenatnatsni -  Nah, can't do it Steve! I suppose you have to be Welsh to manage it? :jester:

Further to yesterday's post I got a bit of modelling time in doing a few minor modifications to rolling stock and some general tidying up. Then I realised that the gymnastics was on the telly box most of the afternoon & evening so I reverted to sitting down mode but it was a great competition. (Lads & lasses) What made it particularly special was the camaraderie between all the opposing teams and their mutual respect and applause for each other's efforts. Pity the overpaid prima donnas in some other sports can't emulate them.

Off to the railway room so have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 5

Talking of music ...

Yesterday was interesting.  I met Bob Perrat at 2pm in The National Gallery to collect some trees for Höchstädt  (Bob is distribution manager for Ceynix Trees), then in easy stages to the Royal Albert Hall for Mahler 5 (the adagietto was used in Death in Venice). 

"What's in the holdall, sir?"; "Trees"; "Thank you, sir". 

Home about 11:30, then into the garage to plant said trees on Höchstädt.  Checked this morning, stuck down and effectively block certain scenes so that Joe Public can only see the perspective that I want him to.  Operating session today, then breaking down for Tinkers Park this weekend.

Back to the RAH for Elgar 2 this evening - it's a nice day so I will use the bike.

Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

So snails weren't on the menu?

Don Bradley - I thought it was carrots, too. But on the odd occasion that I eat cabbage - I enjoy it.

I had a courgette sitting in the fridge ,and last night sliced it and fried it in duck fat, adding garlic granules and then pouring balsamic vinegar onto it. Made a very tasty veg to go with steak and baked potatoes. But a non-stick pan helps....

The snails got the cabbage first.

Morning ER's All!

Sunny and not too windy so off on the bike for a quick 25K this morning once the porage has settled down.......... 

Stage two of the clay oven completed Tuesday evening and got to meet Jane's daughter's new boyfriend.  Neither girl told me that my face was splattered with clay from slapping the mixture on and, having removed my glasses, I looked like a reverse Panda.    Doh!  One woman with a wicked streak is bad enough, but two!!

Have a good one folks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest something a little gentler than the petrol strimmer.

Ah, you see, this is where confusion sets in! The hedge trimmer in use was petrol, the strimmer was not! I do have a petrol strimmer, and with its brush-cutter head it is not to be trifled with. All these (cheap Chinese) toys. Mind you, I am increasingly in need of a high-level hedge-trimmer, as things have got a bit out of hand. And all the evidence suggests there's only really one show in town that works well and that's called Stihl. People pay less for an old car!

• RMweb Gold

dooG gninrom evetS

I am reminded of a cartoon in Meccano Magazine, circa 1958. Chap is sitting in a train, smoking. Railway chappie on platform points to "No Smoking" sign on window facing outwards, asks "Can you read?" "Yes, it says  gnikomS oN!"

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

I posted yesterday, but it looks like a laptop/Internet error lost it into cyberspace.

Dog needs to go to vets today - she has a toenail that has turned back on itself and which needs trimming.  As she has black nails, this needs to be done professionally, otherwise a nasty bled can occur.  Shame is I didn't pick this up on Tuesday when she was vaccinated - still it's all part of animal life's rich tapestry. 

Managed to catch up again, and it does seem that to stay in touch now requires twice daily visits to the ERs (or a lot of time).  Global commiserations and congratulations where appropriate. 

My niece flies to Las Vegas and on to Seattle today, and has decided that on her return next week to come straight from Heathrow to extend her holiday with us - better her than me - a flight from Seattle to Minneapolis, then on to Heathrow overnight, a rush into London to get to Euston for a train to Lancaster - would totally finish me, and I suspect that all she will want on arrival is about sixteen hours in bed!

Anyhow, I'd better get on now to get the dog walked and into the car.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Sounds like a day 'on the halls' with that once well known comic Nosmo King and the good deeds of Herr Stihl (who strims here every now & then).

Anyway to more serious stuff for Trev, and in no particular order - the Cumbrian Coast (make sure you go all the way from Carnforth via Barrow (inland there) to Carlisle, superb mix of scenery both inland and on the sea side; Ferryside to Carmarthen on the mainline to Fishguard etc, estuarial but still interesting and a bit if slightly distant seaside before you reach Ferryside; ECML north of Newcastle, clifftop spectacular plus the Royal Border Bridge and superb views of Berwick;  along the coast to Dover - going through the white cliffs as well as alongside them;  Fort William - Mallaig although the best coastal bit is the relatively short stretch with a good view of the white sands of Morar, the rest of the journey is mainly just ordinary spectacular.

There are probably some more which don't immediately come to mind - and of them all I rate the Cambrian line north of Dovey Jcn (sea one side, mountains the other plus a few rather nice castles to add some spice), the Devon coast, the Cumbrian Coast, and the ECML north of Newcastle.

I think we might be going to waitrose today - the grated cheese we bought last week, in the fridge since then, never opened, has started going an interesting shade of furry blue.

Havea  good day one & all.

• Like 6

I don't either - because I know where the electrical sockets are (where I spec'd them to be on the drawing as it happens)  :jester:

Ok you got me. I admit it. I'm actually sitting at my desk with my toes in the plug socket.

Good morning all from Clacton where the sun is shining yet again!

Bill, I just love the Mahler 5, it truly is a haunting piece. I often think he is an under-rated composer - he is thought to be too intellectual in some circles, definitely an acquired taste! (That from a Wagnerite!). I envy you with the sound of Elgar bouncing around the Albert Hall tonight.

Ian, I discovered years ago that having the correct tools for the job is the only way. Of the many that I've bought over the years, I have to say that the Bosch ones have outlasted the rest! Now that my fitness is so poor, I've managed to source some really innovative devices so I can stubbornly maintain my independence but I must say I'm surprised when I open a Black and Decker strimmer to discover the made in China sticker! Do we make anything here nowadays?

Sherry, great news about the peace that is about to descend again. Bl**dy nerve of that comment on marriage from someone who doesn't seem to have made a very good choice herself! Joanna and I lived together for years, but I have to say that after we tied the knot, our relationship grew closer and warmer to my surprise. We're even happier over 25 years down the line so we can heartily recommend it! Hope the same happens for you two, thoroughly deserved in my not so humble opinion!

I took grand daughter and friend to Pudding Lane not so long ago as they were studying the Fire of London. Have to confess that I waited at the bottom while they enjoyed the climb. Been up it once in my teens and that was enough! Soon the skyline will be totally filled with high rises.

Pete, you can't get anywhere near Stonehenge these days, called with grand children from Somerset last year to find the visitor centre and car park crammed and people once again parking on the verge! Instituted plan 'B' and went to see slightly more modern stuff at Yeovilton Fleet Air Arm Museum. Shame because I too can remember pretending to be a Druid amongst the stones!

Have a good Thursday folks,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 6