The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Reminds me of something that happened to me a few years back. I opened my front door and found a snail on the step. I (to my shame) picked him up and lobbed him.

A year later there was a knock on the door. I opened it to find a snail there on the step. He said "what did you do that for???"

I'm more inclined to believe in talking snails than that you're older than that joke, Colin! 

• Like 4

As some here already may know, I have synesthesia (some of my senses are 'crossed')........I`ve noticed something odd (well actually, very nice) when I think of Ian (Oldudders) and Sherry (Ashcombe) being together: I hear Rachmaninoff`s Piano Concerto No.2 (Op.18) and smell garlic.......the sense of both-joined, seems so beautifully romantic! :tender:

I have very similar - but it’s set off by the music. Usually massive ribbons of coloured light flowing across a landscape in time. One exception is a particular solo by Eric Clapton where I take off and spiral around the Matterhorn for some reason (but not literally) the piece of music has no connection to what I see when I close my eyes.

Invariably I “see" the same thing each time I hear the same piece, though. I’ve always enjoyed it, frankly!

The mind is extraordinary, is it not?

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We occasionally get snails on the upstairs (UK 1st floor) windows and they have definitely climbed up, via the passionflower plant that grows up the front. Snails love it. I have occasionally seen them at the same level at the rear.

Re driverless cars; my Dad frequently said "there's a lot more cars on the road than there are drivers". Now it will be legal. Will they actually avoid cyclists and pedestrians?

Still hot and dry here; the showers/storms seem to be missing the Central South completely. 

TV news still depressing; I keep turning it off.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

I have very similar - but it’s set off by the music. Usually massive ribbons of coloured light flowing across a landscape in time. One exception is a particular solo by Eric Clapton where I take off and spiral around the Matterhorn for some reason (but not literally) the piece of music has no connection to what I see when I close my eyes.

Invariably I “see" the same thing each time I hear the same piece, though. I’ve always enjoyed it, frankly!

The mind is extraordinary, is it not?

Best, Pete.

It is extraordinary .. if I hear Seals' single "Kiss of the Rose" I see the road into Orlando centre from the Church Street Marriott for reasons best know to my head!

cricket report .. Yorks U15s beat Cheshire U15s....

Baz

• RMweb Premium

\more cricket.. forgot to mention that I managed to get swiped by the ball while umpiring - the batsman complained it had stopped him getting a four!

• RMweb Premium

Evening all! Been out to Stonehenge and Bath today, which was a pleasant change of pace from the megalopolis that is London. Cornish pasties for a snack in between - yum.

Museums will be on the agenda for tomorrow.

• Like 13

Evening all,

Fascinating take on musical association from Debs, Pete and Baz. My experience is more mundane but very satisfying - I tend to see the venue where I heard a particular piece such as St Paul's or Truro Cathedrals when I listen to the Verdi requiem. Certain more 'pop' like tunes often call to mind the girlfriend of the time (no examples in case Joanna reads this!).

Shame about the pier and I'm truly surprised that more effective controls weren't in place considering how often it has happened to these irreplaceable structures!

The paddling pool and all sorts of other things were very successful in keeping Freddie amused today and his mum looked relaxed having just the recent arrival to care for. A lunch of cold meats and salad went down well but now Grumps and GG are very tired so it's nightcap and sleep for Joanna and I!

Hope Thursday is all you wish for, particularly the travelling ERs,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5

As some here already may know, I have synesthesia (some of my senses are 'crossed')........I`ve noticed something odd (well actually, very nice) when I think of Ian (Oldudders) and Sherry (Ashcombe) being together: I hear Rachmaninoff`s Piano Concerto No.2 (Op.18) and smell garlic.......the sense of both-joined, seems so beautifully romantic! :tender:

Deb, I didn't know you have synesthesia.  I have often wondered if I have a mild form as certain numbers and days of the week, I see as a particular colour. On a completely unrelated tack, I have, since childhood, also been able to say most words backwards, virtually instantaneously.

• RMweb Premium

A couple of throw-ins from catching up on here this evenng

Cathedral steps

The Pagoda in Kew Gardens is open this summer if you fancy walking up to the top. There are 253 steps.

Say I can manage 2 flights of 12 steps OK before flagging, well the Pagoda is doing that 10 times and adding another 13 for good measure to finish.

(24 x 10) + 13 = 253.  GULP!  :swoon:

Then you've got to come down.

Fantastic views, apparently.

post-14049-0-50609300-1406765086.jpg

Just bear in mind that when I went with Mum up the Tree Walk, we both used the lift.

post-14049-0-54830900-1406765109.jpg

Getting around the Station

On the way to Kew, there was a diversion at Euston Underground when I thought I'd gone the wrong way (not for the first time, I might add) - down a spiral staircase due to some refurbishment work.  Of course, panic set in, then.  We're not going to have to climb all the way back up, are we?  Fortunately, no. It was by way of a moving escalator as usual.  Phew!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2014/june/major-refurbishment-for-euston-escalators

It's the Menai Strait Regatta this week and next.  Hope to be able to get some pics tomorrow.

Until then.

Polly

• Like 10

That reminds me, Polly - is The Monument still open in the city to climb? Remember doing that many times in the mid-sixties.....

Mind you I can remember Stonehenge before there was even a car park and you had to park by the roadside. No fences, nothing, everything touchable and just the two of us there.That was in the late sixties (which seems like yesterday).

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

The Pagoda in Kew Gardens is open this summer if you fancy walking up to the top. There are 253 steps.

Say I can manage 2 flights of 12 steps OK before flagging, well the Pagoda is doing that 10 times and adding another 13 for good measure to finish.

(24 x 10) + 13 = 253.  GULP!  :swoon:

Then you've got to come down.

Fantastic views, apparently.

attachicon.gifDSC00288 Pagoda.JPG

Ah, the Great Pagoda! That swept me back to 1970, a Ralph McTell song and a young lady.

I was walking through Kew Gardens, when it started to rain. I sheltered under the pagoda, shortly followed by a rather nice girl. She smiled, so I smiled, and said " This reminds me of a song, 'Kew Gardens". She didn't know it, so I sang it, softly. We chatted until the shower passed over, then she said "that was a very sweet song", smiled again and shook her head when I started to speak, and left me.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Rach 2? Yes, one of my very fave bits of serious music, which indicates how lowbrow I am! But it's a bit above the stuff I'm listening to on YouTube most evenings just now. Bas Amro's "Huitieme Arondissement" may not be around in as many years as most of Rachmaninov's oeuvre! And if Rach 2 has an association it is with the LBSCR, specifically Eastbourne in far off steam days. Blame Vivien Thompson, who would never have seen herself as a fantasy lady - but her modelling put her on a big pedestal, all the same!

I had a busy and productive day yesterday. It started with hedge trimming, but when I dug out the electric trimmer I discovered it had been sitting in water - a puddle in the garage following a recent storm - and the motor was by no means happy, running at reduced speed and emitting smoke after a minute or so. So I put on my gorilla suit and fired up the petrol version. This takes a bit of wielding, especially above head height, for which it was much needed in places, but the result was gratifying and quite swift, really. After a suitable recovery period I then started on the strimming of the verge and ditch, again achieving more, and more quickly than anticipated, thanks to the new bigger strimmer. This has some odd characteristics, not mentioned in the handbook - either the French or English pages - but when on song it does very well. Today will require me to be clearing up the dead foliage in various sites. I have also ordered another shredder, the existing 1800 watt one being too finicky and awkward. The new one is 2500 watt and claims to munch branches up to 40mm diameter. Big plus point is the built-in receptacle for the mulch output - while the price is less than the present one cost a decade ago. There is a huge pile of foliage from last week's tree removal, so a shredder that delivers is essential.

We are set for decent weather today and tomorrow, the weekend a bit stormy again.

Hope your week going as you would wish.

• Like 7

Good morning one & all,  

Seems there's an awful lot going on on here! (apart from my internet connection which keeps dropping out this morning.) 

Not much to report from here at the moment, people are talking about the Ebola outbreak, but not panicking.........fortunately it does not apear to be air born and only transmitted with close bodily contact.

Fortunately both my GF & I love garlic  (I normally have a clove sliced up in my sandwich every day here)  providing we both eat it at the same time! Still only 23 days and I'm with her.......then I have to decide if her home in BC is going to be right for me next year. Then tell family and ex that the "bank known as Trev" is going out of business next April!  

Talking of  the GF  she's been watching "Coast" on the TV, very keen to come to UK and ride trains (!) I know of the Cambrian Coast line (used in my volunteer days on the FR,) and the South Devon line line, but are there other lines that run with reasonable amounts of coastal views? 

What ever your up to today, try and make the most of it, 

Trev.

• Like 9

Good morning one & all,

Seems there's an awful lot going on on here! .......

Trev.

Yes, indeed! One might say all life is here: hatches, matches and despatches abound along with the highs and lows of our varying states of health, wealth and family!

Speaking of which, six of ours will be leaving today after a week long stay which has certainly seen some highs and lows. At least the last few days have been calmer, so that enabled me to deliver a short prepared speech last night, letting DD2 know, amongst other things, that Ian and I would not be following her recommendation that we wait a year or two before marrying!

Life might be too short.....

Treasure each moment!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Just for a change its raining!

What to do today? Not sure if modelling is allowed but there are chores to be done.

No bruise on my arm from the cricket ball yesterday, but it does sting a little! All my own fault!
Oldudders can you attack my front hedge please? Me and Hawthorne don't,t mix!!!

Have a great Thursday,

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Morning,wet and damp following overnight rain which was heavy, however blue sky can be seen so hopefully it will clear up.

On this day of July 31 in 1969 - A Moscow police chief reported that thousands of Moscow telephone booths had been made inoperable by thieves who had stolen phone parts in order to convert their acoustic guitars to electric.

Birthdays JK Rowling and Bob Welch Fleetwood Mac

that's the knowledge bit for today

Enjoy your day folks

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Sunny in London, so sufficient ingestion of beverages will be mandatory. Also according to advice being promoted by TfL, I should add!

Have a good one...

Thinking back to the earlier info about modelling shops, there is one near Bond Street, albeit a tiny one. Wheels of Steel. More of a stall than a shop, though. Very close to Bond St tube station. 

http://www.graysantiques.com/dealerDetail.php?dealer=150

• RMweb Premium

Funny that you should have been talking about synaesthesia. I have observed to be able to "visualise" words I hear, speak or think like some kind of subtitles before my inner eye, and also have the impression of letters having something of a tangible quality to me. I wonder if that might be the same kind of phenomenon?

• Like 3