The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

According to the weather stats for the whole “New York Metro” area - we are having the “coolest” Summer for 6 years.

However over the thirty years period the July average high is 84f (29C) and that is spot on for 2014. Actually the figure of 84f (29C)  for the average high does go back at least 100 years (+/- 1,o ).

Hat on. BTW it is easy to edit out extraneous photos when using quotes!!!!! Thanks. Hat off.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 4

According to the weather stats for the whole “New York Metro” area - we are having the “coolest” Summer for 6 years.

However over the thirty years period the July average high is 84f (29C) and that is spot on for 2014. Actually the figure of 84f (29C)  for the average high does go back at least 100 years (+/- 1,o ).

Hat on. BTW it is easy to edit out extraneous photos when using quotes!!!!! Thanks. Hat off.

Best, Pete.

Pete - is it possible the "reporter" meant coolest summer as in "cool man"....

<-- yes, yes...hat, coat, looking for post banning me from ER... :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Hello

Today has been busy. Washing, putting stuff away, Aditi had two separate medical checks at the same place a couple of hours apart, I made an appointment for some new spectacles, and came home to a mini flood in the kitchen. I tracked it down to the joint between the tap base and spout. Now fixed, the O ring was completely rigid and inflexible, the new one isn't!

I can't find any of the train photos I took so I probably pressed the wrong button on my phone. I could offer a Smurf photo if so desired.

Smurfs are very popular in Belgium.

To summarise the result of being disconnected except for the ability to "try" and view RMWeb/ER with a smartphone for a few days;

"AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH - too many posts........"

As always in these situations, congratulations, commiserations, well done, I'm sorry to hear that, enjoy, take a deep breath, I'm here to support/help...

We had an EXCELLENT long weekend in Grand Forks with our daughter. She took us all for flights around the town and we enjoyed some great food and beverages...

The weather was perfect, company was tip-top and a great time was had by all.

The twin-engine Piper Seminole flightline - Mrs loading the extraneous "crap and chocks" into the baggage compartment, Jemma (daughter) prepping before we board.

post-20244-0-11725900-1406645376_thumb.jpg

A classic "don't try this at home"...demonstration of a mid-air engine shutdown/restart.

As a qualified MEI (Multi-engine instructor) this is part of the course she teaches, something most "mere mortals" are seldom if ever likely to experience first-hand.

post-20244-0-73344800-1406645377_thumb.jpg

Part of the single-engine Cessna 172 flightline - Jemma taking our friends out for a flight.

post-20244-0-65481100-1406645378_thumb.jpg

We (myself, Mrs and the couple who went with us) began our planning for a two week vacation to the UK next year, one week will be a narrow-boat 7-day holiday and we're finalizing the options in the coming weeks. Suggestions/comments welcomed.

Looking to be there probably the last two weeks of May - hoping to good weather and less than packed "locations" as school will not yet be over, meaning fewer/no packs of overwrought families careening about with screaming kids in tow - ooo, err, is that considered insensitive???

Yesterday our daughter received a call starting the next step on her journey. Compass Airlines (regional carrier for Delta) called and gave her the start date, Sept. 4th., for her airline training course. She's got the hours she needs and was going to call them herself yesterday, but they beat her to it. She's loved instructing at UND but this is the start of what she's been working towards with her degree and building her hours for, so the next milestone is set.

More pictures later...

Today 18 heading for 26, almost matches Pete's weather. Sunny and clear with low humidity, supposed to be that way for the next several days.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

We (myself, Mrs and the couple who went with us) began our planning for a two week vacation to the UK next year, one week will be a narrow-boat 7-day holiday and we're finalizing the options in the coming weeks. Suggestions/comments welcomed.

Looking to be there probably the last two weeks of May - hoping to good weather and less than packed "locations" as school will not yet be over, meaning fewer/no packs of overwrought families careening about with screaming kids in tow - ooo, err, is that considered insensitive???

Hi 25th May 2015 is spring bank holiday Monday which means the kids will be off school that week for half term. Maybe some teachers on here can confirm that.

Cheers

Hi 25th May 2015 is spring bank holiday Monday which means the kids will be off school that week for half term. Maybe some teachers on here can confirm that.

Cheers

Alan,

Thanks and......oooohohhhhhhhhhh nnnnoooooooooo - might be time to rethink a little, maybe the mid two weeks in May 8-22 or first two weeks in June???. Hopefully it'd be "nice weather still/already by then and not too early if in the beginning of May, which is one of the prime considerations...

Edited by Ian Abel

Hi everyone

Very early tomorrow we fly to Sarajevo for a few days. There are no direct flights - you can go via Copenhagen (1 stop) or Istanbul (stopping overnight at the airport), but the quickest way from Edinburgh, I think, is via Brussels & Vienna - seven hours - fingers crossed all connections work. First time visit and we're looking forward to it. Will try not to start anything.

Mal

• Like 7

Well back home after a few days in Scotland for the Commonwealth Games. Very enjoyable and so lucky with the weather. Had tickets for the Netball and the Velodrome. Was pleasantly surprised at just how much I enjoyed the Netball. It is much faster than Basketball, and the players are much nicer to look at. Am now a convert! Highlight of the visit must be watching Laura Trott win gold in the 25k Points race in the Velodrome. Was very impressed with the entire experience. Everyone very friendly and First / ScotRail (not sure how that relationship works), had so many staff on duty, it was almost impossible to get on the wrong train, or subsequently go wrong when heading to venue due to the number of 'Clyde-siders'. Stayed in Edinburgh and used the train to Glasgow, as it was cheaper than getting a hotel in Glasgow, where the prices had gone through the roof. Used the old A7 route from Carlisle to Edinburgh on the way there and back, which is quite a scenic route, having made an overnight stop in Carlisle on the way up. Interestingly, we stopped off at Hawick on the way up for a bite to eat. Pulled into the main car-park where I couldn't work out if it was free or whether I needed to pay. I asked a rather attractive lady who was just getting out of her car, who not only informed me it was free, but also asked me if I was looking for the town centre and gave me directions plus advice on where to eat. At this point another lady came over and offered advice and gave me a booklet all about the town. She was one of the town's 'Greeters'. I was well-impressed. On the way back home, we stopped off at Selkirk, where the parking was also free. I think a lot of English towns could learn a lot when it comes to encouraging visitors, rather than ripping them off with exorbitant parking charges. Drove just over 650 miles in total and averaged 68 mph on one tank of diesel, so was very pleased. Am not likely to be able to catch up on all the ER news (please feel free anyone to precis major events). I did notice that Debs was back though. Welcome back Debs.

• Like 12

Dog is much perkier. Not right yet but we're much happier.

Warren's pasties and sausage rolls (the dogs had them) were enjoyed at Carn Gloose with a great sea view - and a large drilling rig voyaging southwards on the horizon. Scillies were quite visible and the sun shone but it wasn't too hot. Having lunched out (no cooking), we have a no-cooking night planned with a visit to the chippie at Rosugeon - you place your order as you go in as it's cooked for you then and there - no fish going off in heated cabinets.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Well, the rain stopped while the guys drove up from the 'deep south', it peed it down just before they arrived, but it did fair up and remained dry all afternoon.  Much water was boiled, most for steam but some for tea and coffee!  Nick as usual brought something clever to show me, piston valve to slide valve conversion for an Accucraft loco if you are into the detail!

Photos later, Debs doesn't seem to be around, bless her she's probably still unwell.  I'll take the risk as she seems to be a very nice person!

• RMweb Gold

Ian I would agree avoid the late Spring Bank holiday as it is usually also half term. There is quite a choice in canals some have less locks which suits some people others have more locks but the scenery may be more dramatic. One extreme is the Caen Flight on the K&A just west of devizes although of great interest I would avoid its a holiday you want. Are you looking to fit in railway trips? Will you have access to a car or be reliant on public transport (apart from the canal boat of course)  I would suggest the Shropshire Union from Whitchurch through Elsemere and up towards Llangollen the canal aquduct is not suitable for anyone with vertigo though. There is the preserved railway at Llangollen, The Cambrian Mueseum at Oswestry. The museums at Iron Bridge are not that far away.

post-8525-0-02268200-1406651764_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-70812000-1406651760_thumb.jpg

The canel near Elsemere at Colmere you can walk over a bridge and round the lake here. I have some picture of all the geese but I am not sure when they go the usually come back in september.

You have not specified your friends interest so I might suggest other ideas.

Don

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all! Just resting my feet after several hours on the streets of a sunny London. This included a photo session at Victoria, with all due thanks to the Southeastern folks. I still am surprised at how much of a closed system the London passenger lines appear to be!

We'll be off to get something for dinner in a while.

• Like 7

That didn't go so well.

Spent most of the morning on political (attention seeking behaviour of others making life as hard as possible).

Very hot in the afternoon, so putting together the Workmate was a laugh (not). Instructions that make IKEA look like an illuminated medieval manuscript. Five vital pieces never mentioned in the list of parts or exploded diagrams...

Eventually done, then cutting up ¼" ply. Bandsaw would not cut straight for anything. Ruined a good deal of wood, tried two more blades, took it apart. This involves unbolting a fence, removing the cover, slackening the tension and taking out the blade - then the reverse process. Except of course all the settings are lost in the process and it has to be set up anew each time. I must have done it fifty times. Spent three hours in blistering sun and eventually gave up.

When out of the sun, back in the workshop I saw that the top blade guides were out of place and had been allowing the blade to wander... 5 minutes to fix. I might strip it all down again tomorrow, but I may not. Sweaty, bad tempered and thirsty - only 1 little beer left.

Decided to do some modelling so set about pinning track to the photoplank (interrupted by candidate wanting to know if I can do a photoshoot tomorrow afternoon at a place to be decided with people who haven't been asked). For some reason the air pinner won't hold the track down (they're 5mm pins, they should do). Tried to snip off the excess track and chimped that up royally.

In the meantime Julie managed to secataur her finger. Blood and swearing. Really nasty, the sort of injury that causes -tightening in males.

Just realised I hadn't taken my mid-day medication - because I had also forgotten to have lunch.

So, trying to persuade Julie that what we really need is a takeaway Chinese. Possibly.

If I had any beer I'd get legless.

I sincerely hope you've all had better days than I have!

Dog is much perkier. Not right yet but we're much happier.

Warren's pasties and sausage rolls (the dogs had them) were enjoyed at Carn Gloose with a great sea view - and a large drilling rig voyaging southwards on the horizon. Scillies were quite visible and the sun shone but it wasn't too hot. Having lunched out (no cooking), we have a no-cooking night planned with a visit to the chippie at Rosugeon - you place your order as you go in as it's cooked for you then and there - no fish going off in heated cabinets.

That's exactly how we had our luch today - Haddock and Chips , and VERY nice too!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just back from taking dog to vet for annual health check and innoculatiuons - not a cheap exercise, I've got to say.

Other than that, I have caught up, and am quite moved by Jock 67B's post about his ongoing treatment for cancer.  We seem to have a few real fighters here - I won't name names, but I can think of a few RMWebbers who have a similar fighting approach to the condition, and I take my hat off to each and every one of you.

Must shoot, as dog is a lot more lively that I thought she would/should be as she normally gets very tired when she's had her jabs, flea treatement, wormers, etc - but not tonight, so a walk is indicated.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

Dithering finally gave way to going out.

I suggested Porthmadog.

Experience tells me there's a jolly good chance it'll be dry, even sunny, there.

It seems the mountains give the weather a bit of a lift.

And indeed it was dry, though still dark but you could feel the mist in the air.

Started off with lunch at the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway and a wander round the shop.

"Oh, no! She's bought another loco...."  [And he's bought another book!]

We then walked down to the Ffestiniog Railway.

Earl of Merioneth coming in from Blaenau Ffestiniog.
post-14049-0-60953600-1406654011.jpg

By the time we'd shopped in the model shop in town and returned to the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway for a cuppa, the sun was out.

post-14049-0-88990200-1406654356.jpg

post-14049-0-66176000-1406654369.jpg

On the other side of the fence is a different story.

post-14049-0-04774300-1406654417.jpg

Hopefully, the Cambrian Railway to Pwllheli will be re-opening soon after flood damage earlier this year.

Time to get tea, now.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 14

Ian I would agree avoid the late Spring Bank holiday as it is usually also half term. There is quite a choice in canals some have less locks which suits some people others have more locks but the scenery may be more dramatic. One extreme is the Caen Flight on the K&A just west of devizes although of great interest I would avoid its a holiday you want. Are you looking to fit in railway trips? Will you have access to a car or be reliant on public transport (apart from the canal boat of course)  I would suggest the Shropshire Union from Whitchurch through Elsemere and up towards Llangollen the canal aquduct is not suitable for anyone with vertigo though. There is the preserved railway at Llangollen, The Cambrian Mueseum at Oswestry. The museums at Iron Bridge are not that far away.

attachicon.gifelsemere canal.jpg

attachicon.gifColmere.jpg

The canel near Elsemere at Colmere you can walk over a bridge and round the lake here. I have some picture of all the geese but I am not sure when they go the usually come back in september.

You have not specified your friends interest so I might suggest other ideas.

Don

And the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway? which is a delightful little operation, imho. 

• RMweb Gold

There once was a man called Neil

Who lived not that far from Peel

His trains he'd display

In a most open way

Until Debs called him to heel

Edit: can't spell Niel.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1